Advice on bring baby home around an aggressive dog?

I am seeking advice for bringing a baby home with an aggressive dog. My fiancé and I have lived together for two years. He has a four-year-old pit/boxer mix that he’s had since the dog was about six months old (before I moved in) Up until a year ago, I have not had any issues with his dog. I have loved him, played with him, fed him, walked him, etc. He was ripping something up one day, so I picked it up and scolded him, and he lunged at my face. Totally caught me off guard and has me not able to trust him. On a separate occasion, as I was going to grab his bowl to feed him, he nipped at my arm, not enough to cause injury but left a mark. Last month, my fiancé had a seizure that left him with four broken vertebrae. We have our dogs sleep in the living room because they snore, and being seven months pregnant and not getting enough sleep as it is, they wake me up. I had to get up to grab his medicine from the kitchen, and the dog went into our bedroom and was lying on my fiancé’s side of the bed. I called the dog to me so I could get to my fiancé to give him his meds, and the dog responded by growling at me. Had my fiancé been having another seizure and I couldn’t get to him because of the dog, that’s a serious concern. On other occasions he has lunged at my fiancé’s sister, most recently started becoming more aggressive towards people who come to the door (barked and lunged towards a client of my fiancé’s at the door) and my nephew (age 6) is no longer allowed at our house because the dog growled and lunged at him while they were playing. I have expressed my concerns with my fiancé about how his dog’s behavior is causing me to stress out about bringing our baby home after he is born and thinks it would be best if the dog is rehomed. I do not trust the dog around our baby, given his recent behavior. While my fiancé is trying to understand, he doesn’t believe the dog has given him any reason to need to rehome him. Now before I get hate for asking him to do this, just know I’m a lover of all animals. I have never had a dog react to me in this way before, and it absolutely tears me up. I also need to trust my mama bear instincts and do whatever is absolutely possible to protect our baby, whether it be now or when he’s a toddler, and the dog gets aggressive over toys, etc… has anyone had this problem? What did you do?

1 Like

I am a huge animal lover. I love my dogs like they’re my kids but I don’t think there is anyway I’d feel safe bringing a baby home around that dog.

16 Likes

Humans > dogs. End of story. That dog WILL bite your baby. Either get rid of it now, or hope that it only harms the baby and doesn’t kill him/her when it does attack.

21 Likes

Why even ask that question. Get rid of the dog before you make national headlines. " Dog eats baby."

21 Likes

Sorry but that’s a no brainer. A baby should be no where around an aggressive dog, especially a pit bull.

17 Likes

For me personally it wouldn’t be worth the risk sadly! Just imagine if something did happen!

8 Likes

Do NOT RISK IT ever!!!

8 Likes

As a pitbull owner, I can speak on said topic of pitbulls. First, it has nothing to do with the dogs breed. Any dog can become aggressive for any reason at any age. Is the dog fixed? If not, that could help the issue. If he is, perhaps a trip to the vet to rule out any health issues. Health issues can cause aggression. If everything is ruled out, I would try a trainer. If training does not work, then at that point, yes, rehome the dog. It might be best he be in a home with someone who is knowledgeable in that dept. I love my dogs to death. They are 9 and 11 years old. I will say this though, I love my son more. If my dogs were to ever become aggressive to my son, they would be put down. I wouldn’t even rehome them due to the fact of their age, plus I would rather myself be the one to do it than a stranger. I’ve had our dogs since they were babies. They were from breeders where we know the past history of the parents and grandparents. They are very social. But let’s face it, with them getting old and such, shit happens.

15 Likes

You are insane to bring a baby home with that dog in the house!! Get rid of it! Too many nice dogs out there to be dealing with that shit!

3 Likes

Get rid of him!!! If he doesn’t want too let them both go. My baby would never be put in danger. Not even for a second.

6 Likes

Do NOT keep that dog! You are knowingly keeping an aggressive dog. I have seen a few VERY well raised pitbulls turn on family so I would suggest that this is beyond training. Unless you want your baby to be a statistic for a mauled to death story in the news…the dog should have been gone yesterday. I wouldn’t rehome…he will hurt someone. Put it down!

7 Likes

Animal lover myself… And I do believe in Training a dog. But in this case I would rehome immediately!!! Be sure and let the rescue know about the dogs issues so they can get the training it needs. But you have to think of your baby First. If he is so attached have him see if a friend can take the dog and he could go “visit” it now and then. But the dog is showing to much aggression already so there is No way I would chance bringing a new…crying…different smell…baby around the dog

2 Likes

Pretty sure the only responses you’re going to get here are to get rid of the dog. From the sound of it, if you keep the dog, you’ll be putting your child in danger. Keeping your child safe should seriously come before your fiancé’s love for his dog.

2 Likes

You really need to ask this? This is a tragedy waiting to happen. That dog should be put down. WHY would you even think it is ok to keep a vicious dog.

3 Likes

Get rid of the dog it will hurt your baby!!!

3 Likes

Rehome that dog. The dog does NOT need to be put down. Today it’s a nip at you next it’s the baby being mauled and possibly being killed. The dog sounds food aggressive and just aggressive in general.

1 Like

I would not bring a newborn around a dog that has showed any form of aggression. Newborns and infants can’t defend themselves against a attack, if the dog chooses to lunge at them. You can love your fur babies, but you need to protect your family also. Rehoming the dog sounds like a really good opinion for you. It’s best to ripe the band aid off now, before it’s to late!

1 Like

A child is already banned from your house because of the dog .
It goes for faces
He attached you when trying to help your sick partner .
Are u kidding with this question .

The baby will be a target it’s gone get more attention than the dog this will increase the dogs aggressiveness .

13 Likes

That is NOT a safe dog for a child

1 Like

Get a new husband. How does he not see anything wrong with the mutt?? Your child over a fucking animal.

6 Likes

Give him to a rescue group that could work with him and find him an appropriate home potentially a one owner home.

4 Likes

This dog shouldn’t be rehomed. He should be euthanized. And this comes from a huge animal lover also.

11 Likes

That dogs gotta go unfortunately, your baby and you are the main priority when coming home from the hospital and you don’t need the stress of the dog acting out. Your fiancé needs to understand it’s the safety of his baby or the dog.

With everything you’ve posted, I can’t believe you’d even have to ask! :scream: Girl, I am an animal lover and rescuer…when I brought my daughter home we had three dogs, a bunny and a turtle in the house! And now we also have a rescue cat :woman_facepalming:t2: My daughter is now 3 years old and we have never had an issue, nor did I ever fear an issue. Besides the cat, these were animals I’ve had for years and years and would REFUSE to ever get rid of or re-home. Like would be homeless before I got rid of my animals, BUT that situation you are describing is the exception to the rule! That is way too dangerous!! Way way way to dangerous to risk! Why would you put your brand new precious baby in a situation that could KILL him/her!!! That dog will become extremely more aggressive than it is now when that baby gets here. Never never never risk the safety of your child, especially a precious brand new baby!

15 Likes

Rehome the dog. Do not feel bad, you have to protect your baby.

3 Likes

Personally I would say NEVER leave the baby alone in the room with any dog. Aggressive or not. It doesn’t matter if you go to the bathroom. The dog needs to go outside or be away from the baby while you cannot supervise.

I personally would rehome the dog if it has been multiple occasions. If you want to try to do training with a dog trainer you can. But I do not think it is safe in general. And it probably is more stressful.

But leaving a baby around a dog in General can be dangerous. I have had well behaved dogs and still would not let the baby be unattended with the dog.

3 Likes

Simple. Rehome the dog.

3 Likes

If you have to ask you shouldn’t

3 Likes

Re-home the dog. Don’t even risk it.

4 Likes

From personal experience as a DOG owner (doesn’t matter their breed), I am telling you to never risk the heart ache. I lost not one but TWO of my dogs to my third dog who was never aggressive in my presence but obviously aggressive not in my presence. I came home to my dogs dead. You can imagine the pain I felt. I euthanized the third dog a couple days later because rehoming her would have been impossible and to not disclose and rehome her would have been extremely irresponsible.

Find a suitable home for your pup. Where it will be safe and your child will be safe.

It takes ONE miscalculation on your part for your baby to die or be seriously injured.

10 Likes

put him outside!!! all of my dogs are big and are all outside with insulated dog houses.

2 Likes

He is going to have to pick his dog or his child.
An aggressive dog should never be in a home with children. That is such a danger.
Rehome the dog. Dont risk your babies life.

3 Likes

There are trainers who can help identify the issue behind this and work with you to correct it. It’s expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

1 Like

Rehome. Baby over animal ALWAYS

4 Likes

Dogs gotta go! You will never be able to trust that your baby is safe. Your baby is priority #1. Re-home it but make it clear what the dog is…aggressive.

4 Likes

Rehome the dog! I had to rehome a dachshund, I had her for 5 years, because she tried to bite my daughter in the face when she started walking. Be safe and insist that the dog goes!

4 Likes

Get rid of the dog you will never forgive yourself if the dog hurts your baby

2 Likes

Get rid of him. Take him to the shelter or rehome him. That dog could kill your child if given the opportunity and you will be considered negligent for knowing the dog is aggressive and having it around a child. The husband can get the hell over it or move out with his dog

6 Likes

Don’t risk it please.

2 Likes

You could try a very intense training

I didn’t even need to read far into this… get rid of the fucking dog

9 Likes

I’d want the dog rehomed you 100% know you can’t trust the dog therefore it cannot be trusted with your baby!

I’ll never trust my dog 100% round my daughter, she’s a loving 6 month pup but who’s to stay they won’t just snap??

Needs to go to a home without any kids x

5 Likes

Give this dog away don’t even think about it. I gave mine away without hesitation…kept the other one who is very soft

4 Likes

I’d say go with your mommy bear instincts. He needs to rehomed before you bring the baby home.

21 Likes

Before everyone says “get rid of the dog” have you tired seeing if there is anything medically wrong with him, is he in pain somewhere, have you looked at a professional trainer, have you asked questions to a professional to see if they can shed any light on it ect. A dog isn’t an animal it’s a family member. While I’m all for protecting my kids and I will do that with my life, I wouldn’t be to quick to get rid of the dog. There could be a small underlying issue that is the cause for this and once it’s been dealt with, he could be back to his normal self.

21 Likes

Find a rescue or something. He needs some serious training immediately. Listen to your gut… He’s already snapping. If he nips at a newborn, it could be deadly. Good luck!

6 Likes

My dog is the most submissive lab you’d ever meet and I was still nervous about brining home our baby and I still watch him closely because at the end of the he’s still a dog… I would never keep a dog like that in my home… I just couldn’t. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this.

11 Likes

You should get that dog looked at, if this started out of nowhere and he use to be a loving and trustworthy dog, than something might be wrong? My Rottweiler was so loving and caring and trustworthy and out of nowhere she started growling and nipping at us and we got her checked out and we found out she she had a tumour in her tummy the size of a golf ball at the time. After her surgery she went back to being the same loving girl but than my mom got an essential oil diffuser and she started getting weird again, my mom did research on if it had any effects on dogs and it turns out some of the essential oils do and the minute we stopped using it, she went back to normal. It’s all so weird but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

8 Likes

I understand he loves the dog but is he actually willing to risk your newborn becoming your dogs new chew toy? If he’s unwilling to even take your own experiences into consideration, give him an ultimatum. You and your baby or the dog. If he refuses to rehome the dog then stay with family or a friend after you have your baby until he either rehomes the dog or you can get your own place. That’s shouldn’t be a decision you have to make but are you really willing to risk your newborns safety like that? And if he is then that should tell you all you need to know about him

4 Likes

Get that dog out of your home! I’m a dog lover also but a baby is a baby. You must protect it .

4 Likes

Nope. Nope. Nope! Get rid of the dog!!!

6 Likes

Short answer. You don’t.

1 Like

If there was ever a question of the dog or my baby then the dog has to go. I have a dog and love him to death but I would never put my children in a situation that would put them at risk of being mauled. It’s going to break your fiancés heart but it needs to be done :cry:

4 Likes

I dealt with this SAME situation. The dog ended up living most of his days in our spare bedroom because I couldn’t trust him around my baby eventually he was finally rehome after years if fighting and nearly making my significant other and I seperate. Its heart breaking but he needs to be rehome. So its not at all worth the risk and truly is the dog or the baby…

2 Likes

Look into training programs for the dog.

4 Likes

Dude. Put that dog down. I had a dog that would attack me if it was dark and he couldn’t see me coming into the room… we couldn’t have anyone over as he would attack them. He had always been good with my kids. Then he bit my 3 yr old daughters face and lunged at my ten month old in the course of a week. I put him down. There isn’t any fixing that, and no one wants to take on someone else’s aggressive dog. It’s not worth risking your child’s life. While you are “working on behavioural training”, or whatever else people will say, what’s to say something worse doesn’t happen and you or your husband or child are scarred for life… I loved my dog to bits. But my children will always come first.

20 Likes

You child will get taken away if you have an aggressive dog. Better be safe than sorry

1 Like

I would leave my husband before I’d bring.my baby home with aggressive dog . It is already aggressive with you , and that alone would make me worried enough to make me make my husband choose. Me and your child or your dog.

8 Likes

Dog came before the child, get a trainer and fix the issues. Dogs rarely ever randomly become aggressive out of no where. Hiring a trainer could not only fix the issue but the trigger. also is the dog fixed? I’d get that done too if not . A animal is a lifetime commitment just like a child. Get the help the dog needs so your child is safe . If the dog is fixed and worked with , with a trainer and still acts like that, then unfortunately a rescue would be ideal. Good luck.

14 Likes

I wouldn’t even hesitate to rehome that dog. You have proof this dog is aggressive. Yeah, you could get this dog behavioral training to work on it’s aggression but I would still never trust this dog again even if he passed with flying colors.

I love my dogs. We’ve had two dogs in the house since my kids were born (one of them died about two years ago at the age of 10, the other one will be 13 this year) I had them from the time they were each 8 weeks old. I’ve never made a decision that didn’t include them. But make no mistake, if I ever thought they would do something to my children they’d be gone. They’re not disposable but In my opinion they would be better off at least in a home without children. Adults know what they’re in for, children do not.

If your fiancé will not rehome this dog then I would stay somewhere else until he agreed. It’s dangerous. Even if that means someone else will have to care for him and his medication. It’s already been aggressive to one child. Do not let that dog around your defenseless baby.

2 Likes

I am a big dog lover but when it comes to my child’s safety the dog would have to go. I have a rottie she’s two now and she’s been the absolute best dog we have ever owned! She’s a gentle giant! I told my husband if I’m ever afraid of her she will go period no ifs ands or buts about it! Thank god she’s been an angel and never once have I been afraid of her ! She’s always been raised around the kids and never once have we had a problem with her . Do what your momma gut tells you to do!

1 Like

Can you say CPS!! If this writer left her name, YOU are obligated to inform CPS, the police or anyone!!

6 Likes

Get rid of that dog!

1 Like

sorry but I’d say either the dog or me/baby

1 Like

Either contact a reputable trainer or put the dog to sleep. I would absolutely not have a dog like that around my child. Rehoming the dog is also a liability I wouldn’t be willing to risk if he’s showed this much aggression.

2 Likes

Have you had the doctor checked by a vet? I love dogs but dogs or dogs and humans are humans and my children will always come before any animal. But I would have the dog evaluated by a veterinarian especially if it is a recent behavior change.

1 Like

I did this with a chow. Had him from a puppy,he was six years old. I was worried over jealousy issues, he was my shadow. I made the decision to wait and watch. He was her guardian, slept under her crib and would not let anyone but me into her room. One day she was on a blanket in the yard, for no reason he attacked her. After I got her face out of his mouth and picked her up he continued to try to get her.Emergency room 75 stitches and plastic surgery. She is a adult now. Sometimes is she gets sunburnt you can see white lines where the stitches were. I’m a dog person, I thought I would see signs. I did not.

5 Likes

If it began after you became pregnant it could be the hormones seriously. Just watch the dog after bringing baby home never leave them alone introduce baby slowly and see how it goes then decide. Babies change when their humans become pregnant

Dog goes. If not, then mom leaves with baby.

7 Likes

Have we taken the dog to a vet to see if there’s something wrong? He could have a thyroid issue. It changes a dogs behavior 10000%. DONT just toss the dog away. Figure it out.

4 Likes

I would find a rescue program that is trained for its breed. I dont suggest finding someone through facebook or craigslist to rehome given the prospectors not be prepared for an aggressive do/could hurt the dog/ or fight the dog. I understand that this furbaby is a part of your family and its heart breaking all around. Do your research on the programs you find as well. And dont take to a shelter.

I was in a similar situation and had no choice but to bring the baby in the home. The dog was not able to be rehoused due to multiple attacks on people and dogs. No one would take him. Two years of training, behavioral therapy, medication… the dog pinned me against the wall holding the newborn growing snapping at my face because the mailman dropped a package off. This was a 120lb 10 year old hound. Two days later he attacked my moms basset hound who was sound asleep. The dog was also asleep, jumped up, went for her throat, ears, and stomach. She needed surgery and almost bled out. The dog was then put down with agreement from the vet. It was at the point before this incident that my sisters husband almost moved out with the dog. He heard the attack and thought the dog killed my baby who was luckily upstairs napping. Sadly, the time to do training and meds have passed considering the impending baby. These trainings can take years. My sis dog saw no benefit and continually progressed in aggression. Your dog maybe able to be saved but not while under your roof with a newborn. One bite could kill your baby. One cry could set him off. Get him out to a place can give him the daily hard training to succeed. But not while sharing a home with your kid. To add we are a rescue and foster family. This wasn’t our first dog or last. He was kept in a freight truck for over a week during Katrina floods and we and the trainers think this is where the aggression stemmed from. I regret that his life has to end. I regret it all. But I lived in fear for years. Terrified to be in my own home. It is no way to live.

5 Likes

I would honestly get rid of the dog. Try to find it a new home?

1 Like

That dog would not be around my kids. Period. Nope.

I have an “aggressive breed” red nose pit bull adopted… Hes been amazing with all 5 of my babies… We adopted him when he was 3… He never showed any of the signs youve explained… If he did we would of rehomed him … Imo i wouldnt feel safe with that dog when baby is a toddler for sure… Id rehome the dog

It can be a number of things causing the dogs behavior. Could be as simple as lack of exercise or a medical issue. Have the dog evaluated by a good vet and go from there. Ask your vet for advice as well.

2 Likes

I like dogs but I would never be bringing my baby home to one like that. Seen to many times on the news dogs turning on babies/children and never a good out come. X

1 Like

There are so many red flags with this dog. I had a similar situation, we had to give our dog up, bc my son is over anything.

Speaking from experience, the dog needs to be rehomed. To someone who has the time to give the dog the love and attention it needs… and with no kids or other animals. It knows there are differences and changes happening and most likely is feeling pushed out and neglected. Animals are very clever and in tune with what’s going on.

I was bitten when I was 16, by a boarder collie. I’d known him since a puppy, (was my mums best mates and our neighbour) I was on the floor helping the daughter with homework, fussing the dog. I went to get up and he from nowhere, bit me. Took a 10p size of my lip off. I had to have surgery to reconstruct my lip.

The owner had recently bought a new dog and this had made the other dog jealous. Making him feel less loved and make him feel the need to make himself known!!

I chose not to have the dog put down as a human, we have bad days where we are grouchy and nippy. We dont get put down for it. Why should the dog. It was totally out of character for him.

If this dog has only recently been like this then I can only assume it’s due to the pregnancy.

Good luck and I hope you find him a good home if your partner can see that this is a necessary move. X

Also you can always get another dog… Not another baby… Fiancee should think about that with what you described about the dog

2 Likes

Do not let your Bub near the dog if it is showing these signs… my Aunty was attacked by a golden retriever of all breeds :woman_shrugging: and was not provoked so any breed can become aggressive.

Talk to your vet before you make any decisions.

2 Likes

Get rid of the dog. Now.

3 Likes

Baby comes first. Find the dog a different home. Hubby might not want to now but he wouldn’t be able to live with himself if that dog ended up hurting the baby.

No kids of my own and I myself love animals especially pitbulls but the best course is to re-home to someone that can work with him/handle him. And unfortunately if anything was to happen to ur child because it is a pitbull they are going to be more strict and let’s say it was nothing to bad but scratch and someone reports it and the dog with a past like this could be order to be put down or u could lose custody of your baby. worst case scenario the dog reacts badly to your baby / toddler cuz there’s a lot of jealousy what dogs and babies and if the dogs toy aggressive that is not good for any toddler to be around sounds like to me your dog is very protective and maybe has some food aggression and as you mentioned the toy aggression those things are not reasonably have your dog put down necessarily the best course is to rehome him find someone who is experienced who has trained dogs who can give him a good loving home treat him good before something bad happens and you lose them both hopefully your husband will come to terms I would not bring the baby home to an animal I could not trust

Look into pain, is he in any pain? Or is he reacting to your husband’s seizures not knowing how to respond? Reach out to a trainer, get help first.

1 Like

Groomer/dog trainer: The unpredictability of this dog gives me some pretty big concerns. I know each situation can be different and sometimes our body language comes across wrong to a dog but being ok for so long and then becoming possessive aggressive is concerning. You should seek a in home trainer that works specifically with bully breeds and aggression issues to see if there is a missing piece happening. Otherwise I personally would remove the dog as it sounds like the risk outweighs safety for you, your fiancé and possibly the baby once born if you can not seek out a trainer.

1 Like

Get the dog outside away from people…Time to rehome him.DO NOT ALLOW DOG AROUND YOUR BABY

2 Likes

Oh my God get rid of the dog before something terrible happens!

5 Likes

Animal lover, dog owner and very strict dog trainer.
Not a CHANCE would that dog be in the house with my child.

If I was to work on the dog’s aggression it would have been done before the baby came home.
I know people preach “dogs are for life”, but bites can’t be taken back.
Sorry you’re dealing with this!

6 Likes

Why is this even a question?! Time to get rid of the dog- yesterday!!

9 Likes

I would try professional training first, before resorting to rehoming. Dogs can be rehabilitated.

3 Likes

That dog needs to go! Be sure there’s no medical reason the dog could be acting this way but if healthy. It needs to go now.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it does not sound like this would be a child safe pup, as heartbreaking as that is, you have the best intention and obviously are concerned. I would try on your own to rehome the dog, shelters are not a good place for pit mixes.

Some dogs are just not children friendly. Just like some adults don’t like kids, some dogs don’t like kids. He could be reacting to you being pregnant. Some animals also act out during that as well. But do trust ur mama instincts. Dogs accidentally hurt little ones all the time. If it’s acting aggressively… a little one may make them panic and become aggressive. I would find a new home but stress it must be child free.

1 Like

I am an animal lover and i adore my dogs but had either of them became aggressive before i had my daughter they would have been gone before we left for the hospital. I love my dogs but being that the dog is aggressive it doesn’t matter if the dog was there before or not, your baby is what’s more important.

Some animals are just not good around small children and babies doesn’t make their life any less valuable but you should never put a small child or baby around that animal that is bad on whomever does that and often leads to a child getting badly hurt in the animal being put down only way to save both their lives in the end is to re-home the dog otherwise you lose one if not both

2 Likes

Hunni, please get rid of that dog now. There isn’t even a question about it. The warning signs are clear. Your baby is in danger if you don’t. What happens when he’s a toddler and touches his food bowl? Or pulls his tail? Honestly it’s not worth the stress and the priority is your baby, not the dog. I hope you can get it sorted X

4 Likes

That dog needs to go. I know it sucks but that’s not safe.

2 Likes

I will take the heat and the hate, sometimes dogs cannot be fixed. They just simply can’t. It sucks to be in a position to make the final decision but not comes down to the quality of life and safety of both humans and canine. Sometimes the risk is too great and while euthanasia should never be taken lightly, sometimes it is the absolute best choice. To place a known aggressive dog with
Just anyone is extremely irresponsible and the chances of finding a rescue that will accept an aggressive dog is very slim. Please think on it and do what is best for you and your family. The life of a child far outweighs that of a dog. (I LOVE dogs and am all for saving them all but
that is absolutely unrealistic.)

30 Likes