AITA for getting mad that the nighbor kids always play with my kids toys?

Everytime you let those kids in your home you are teaching your kids something wrong and allowing abuse/manipulation.

Stop the situation.
That’s your job as a mother.

Not the A Hole. If they would respect the toys it would be different but if they can’t respect them and the mom doesn’t seem to care then it’s time to start loving them up when you’re kids aren’t using them.

U did say they put them back so they aren’t steeling. And maybe they don’t have anything to play w. If ur toys are That important or u don’t want others to play w them move them so they can’t get to them. Or invite the kids over to play w ur kids and let them know it is only ok for u to use these toys when ur kids are out there w them. Just a thought good luck

I would say no unless your children are out playing with them. It’s your stuff for your children to enjoy not for others. So in that case you are not an asshole at all

Don’t let the kids leave them outside then. Problem solved.

They are just kids playing and ages would help a lot more to understand. Put them in the house if you don’t want anyone touching anything. You live in a duplex with a shared area, you do not have your own home with a private yard to be like this :person_facepalming:

4 Likes

The mother needs to explain to her children stealing is not okay. Breaking other people’s shit is not okay. Just shrugging it off is a dick move. All five of my kids know not to take other people’s shit. The fact that most of these moms are angry at you is insane. You shouldn’t have to hide your kids shit because someone else can’t raise their kids properly. Teaching them right from wrong at a young age will prevent them from being even bigger assholes growing up

stop letting the kid come over. problem solved

Talking to mom didn’t work. Talk to the kids now.

No you’re not. This is the part of the same reasons why I don’t let my kids play with the neighbor kids… we keep our outside toys under lock and key… I’ve watched these kids run around talking about b!tches and h0es (mind you, these are 8-10 year olds). They break things, steal things and take things out of my kids hands. Nope. You’re not the a-hole. A lot of “parents” are not teaching their kids manners or kindness and I am not going to be responsible for what they break and I am not going to be watching someone else’s kids.

Idk how y’all are saying she’s the asshole. The toys are not the neighbors toys. They’re her kids toys that SHE worked & busted her ass for. I’d be annoyed. Especially if they’re breaking my kids toys. I’d tell the mom she needs to replace the toys they’ve broken or help out on bugging the toys. Keep the toys inside though.

Do you have proof its soley her kids breaking the toys and stealing them? My kids break their own toys and outside toys get worn with weather too and lose toys all the time. We live on a house with a fence. The toys i care about the most get put away. Im not sure you have much to stand on other than no more outside toys except the ones you dont care abput and put the ones you care about the most away. Bikes are the worst in my neigborhood. Kids always steal those so we bring those either in our garage or basement. Ive even called the police before to make a report to no avail. Asking the mother to replace them would make for an uncomfortable living. The house across our alley the father of these 5 girls huffed and puffed his a$$ over to me outside with my kids blaming me for stealing a 4 wheeler that was locked in his shed all because another kid said my kids did it. We dont have a lock breaker thing first of all and my kids were 6,8, and 9 at the time. Seriously you think they wer able to steal a whole 4wheeler all by themselves? No he said i had a hand in it! Fricking NUT! Im not friends with them now. I will not allow my daughter (we share a daughter in the same grade now). I wont allow them to play and they used to. But f that! He even sent a cop! I lived across the alley lime thats super stupid! I told him the kid that accused us stole it. Lol he told me he wouldnt because he was dating his daughter. Haha seemed like more proof to me. We dont play with neighbors no more. We keep to ourselves.

Take them inside when your kids come in. Once they can play but since things are missing and broken no they shouldn’t be left outside. You’ve spoke to the other parent and she doesn’t seem to care so there’s not much you can do really. Lock them up or just don’t take so many things out when your kids are out there.

Personally what I would do is get some cheaper dollar store toys to put outside that way if anything gets broken it’s not that big of a deal because they may not have a lot to play with themselves now bigger nicer toys that you don’t want ruined I would bring those in or find some way to lock them up. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I also live in an apartment complex and I do not let my kids play with anything that doesn’t belong to them. This is terrible bc you’ve got a mom not teaching her kids right and then poor kids who don’t know they’re doing anything wrong. We had a swing set when we first moved in here. This is what’s happened to it bc every neighborhood kid coming to play.

I do not think it’s okay to use things without asking permission. I would let her know this I called theft and the police will be involved if she doesn’t listen to your wishes. That will be a dramatic remedy though. It will add stress to your relationship. But it’s either that or listen to lame excuses.

To answer your question. Yes you are. If you’re so worried about the toys, lock them up.

If their returned their not stolen, especially if on same property weren’t u a kid once?

Kids don’t no who owns what. If their like my neighbor let’s my kids play with the toys they think they can anytime then!! Kids don’t get that whole concept. But they do no if the grandkid comes over their to give them their toy… obviously no damage tho.

Best u can do is get a lil storage or something outback an lock them up if u don’t want them touched.

But at same time my kids can share. As they do when Kids come over. Their only kids ONCE.

Well i use to live in a duplex and had the same problem i never said anything as something inside me said not to. I ended up talking with my landlord and found out the kids next door didn’t have hardly any toys. So I took in the toys that i didnt want broken and left out yhe other toys and got more for them all to play with

I used to walk past a place that had kids that played with all their outside toys on the lawn out the front.They had a big toy box like thing with a padlock on it,so unless the owner of the toys were playing the other kids couldn’t get to the toys.
In saying that,I would never let my kids do what these kids are doing.You are not the AH

AV got a 14/16ft trampoline with enclosure & a 4in 1 climbing frame tower double swings and slide wooden play set
A table for to eat or draw ect
And a sand and water table in my garden but everyone in the street know to chap my door or knock on my window if I am in to ask if they can play with it all in my garden or not to go in if I am out ect
Wich is very good
& nabours and there kids make sure none uses it if I am out
But it is usually only the kids from my close and my kids friends that use it wich are all lovely kids and they all play nice and use eachothers stuff lovely to see

And there expensive stuff only gets used when am out with them watching them ect
Like there electric bikes scooters ride ons ect
But a few yrs back I had a few experiences like you when other kids from top of the street used to break my kids stuff or steal an hide it and try bully my kids if they asked for it back av had a few run ins with there parents so now it’s better as at the time I says keep your kids up there away from my kids and there stuff and I will keep my kids down here with there own stuff & so far so good they only play with my friends kids r kids from the close who they have grew up with and are all lovely kids
And lovely to see them all play nice and be caring and kind with eachother and to hear and see them laughing & playing & sharing is so lovely

So id say possibly do the same just say you stay at your own bit my kids will stay here & only take out expensive toys when your out watching them
And only put out old or cheap toys when t they are out playing themselves? Xx

Some people are going to be a$$holes. I’d suggest to just collect them all and put on your side of the house put of eyeshot. If at all possible. Definitely shoukd get a camera up also.
I don’t blame you for being upset. It’s your money going into those toys. Some parents just suck im just sorry for her kids . She’s raising them horribly if she’s not teaching them basic respect and other morals.