Am I being irrationally angry?

I woulld be furious! How rude

That is crazy! Sounds like something my friends mom would do…she’s mean

1 Like

Horrible woman…who does that??

2 Likes

Why would she even think to do that?

3 Likes

Wow! That is horrible!! Shame on the MIL…

Uuuummm that’s fukn weird

Nope, you’re totally right to feel passed off, I would be FUMING!!!

2 Likes

That’s so weird. I’d be fuming.

Why would she take that away from you and her grandchild?

That’s genuinely so weird

1 Like

Tell me who she is, I just wanna talk. What the actualF?!?! But Is it normal for people to not open the gifts at the party in front of the people who gave them?? I know weddings you do it later but I have never seen that at a birthday party.

Unreal! Why would she open up all the presents?? :rage:

2 Likes

No you are not wrong and she’s a POS :rage:

2 Likes

Why would she think that’s okay? WEIRDO. I’d message everyone & ask what they got him, ask if they brought a card, and make it known MIL opened gifts. If cards (or anything in) were not returned I’d make thsy known also. 1 or not he deserved to open them presents! Can’t believe your husband is not angry also!!!

4 Likes

Just tell everyone why in the thank you notes you can’t thank them for their specific present.

4 Likes

What is she doing opening them? :thinking: weird and intrusive and no you’re not over reacting

My ex mother in law always had me make up cards. She said that’s how you keep the gifts coming in lol

Nah I’d be making her rewrap that shit. Glad my MIL would never do this. What a way to ruin a baby’s birthday and the parents experience of the 1st birthday.

That’s just fucked up honestly

I’d be pissed off too :rage: TF she think the birthday was for her? Bloody Terrible!

1 Like

My mother does this. She’s always scratching in my things. I am always asking around for preloved baby and kids clothing cause I collect and donate to people in my community. And before I can even go through the stuff she’s there and taking out all the nice stuff for family members which I don’t agree with because for me, I feel these people have enough and here she is wanting to give them more. On my son’s birthdays, she’s also always opening his gifts and then coming to me to tell me what’s in the dam bags. It pisses me the fuck off

O.M.G. Why would any grown woman open a child’s present? And their very first birthday is a special occasion. Double NO.

8 Likes

So wrong and hubby needs to say something.

1 Like

Is she mentally ill? Who would do that?

1 Like

No you are not wrong. She should not have done that

That’s terrible behaviour.

I’d be angry too. I would tell my MIL why too.

1 Like

Mother in law from hell- if your husband continues to defend his mother when she disrespects you and does unbelievable outrageous fuckery like this a you have a lot more problems than her opening the baby’s presents in your marriage

16 Likes

Absolutely not!! She had no right to do that!!!

1 Like

She best get to wrapping them back :grinning:

7 Likes

Thats disgusting how she thought that was ok i’ll never know?! if it was me i’d be ready for a fight they are my childs gifts not no one elses but thats just me lol

3 Likes

You need to bluddy say something!
Not her birthday… cow!

2 Likes

That us disgusting!! Who the hell does she think she is?!

Totally wrong for her to open presents and spoil a birthday , needs tlung to butt out x

You are well within your rights to be so angry, I would have hit the roof how dare she do that!

5 Likes

I’d be absolutely fuming if that happened to me thank the Lord I’ve got an awesome mother inlaw but what in the right mind did she think that was ok? I know some people think children wont remember their 1st birthday but who’s to say he doesn’t deserve to embrace every part of that celebration :pleading_face::heart: My love to you girlie the gifters will definitely understand. your hubby needs to grow a pair! Yes the family you come from is important BUT HIS family now is first and foremost!! He don’t need to be a dick to her but maybe let her know there are boundaries

That is rude asf! Idc how old your child is, it’s still YOUR CHILD and their gifts. Your husband should be just as upset as you

I would have been super angry too however I always open gifts at the birthday party and give our deepest thanks to whoever gifted it while we do the openings.
I would be tasking my mother in law with remembering every person who sent every gift and writing a thank you to each person with exactly what gift they gave my child :woman_shrugging::joy:

3 Likes

she had no business doing that …thats a bitch move on her part

happened to me. was so mad i kept silent😕

2 Likes

That’s such a weird thing to do. You’re not wrong she’s involving herself in ways that aren’t hers to do

6 Likes

No. That is not ok to open all of your child’s gifts and take cards and probably money from them. Who knows what else. I’d be livid

3 Likes

Yeah, that would make me unhappy.

Ask for the cards back

I would be pissed :rage:
Your mil had absolutely NO right to unwrap anything!
Your hubby isn’t mad because it’s his mummy!

2 Likes

She could have kept gift cards money how horrible. What a witch. You are not over reacting and she would not be on the bd list next year I no would send out a notice to each and everyone and ask what they had given your son and make sure they know that your mil opened all the gifts that way u will know if any gift cards or money is missing

13 Likes

That is messed up. Your husbands only acting like it’s not weird because it’s his mom.

3 Likes

WTF?? Why would she do that? :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Id be bawling her plum out & the hubby too!
She was most definitely in the wrong. Seems like u & I may have the same MIL & spouse😬

Piss in her cuppa next time she visits…an your hubbies too!! No point arguing with her coz she knows exactly what’s she done…play her at her own game…it’s nearly Xmas so get her a gift aimed at someone really old…I hold a grudge with this kinda shit :upside_down_face:

She opened boxes and put toys together? Or do you mean she UNWRAPPED them?? Maybe I’m misunderstanding, I would think that the baby would’ve unwrapped them during the party with the guests watching…

1 Like

Hellllll nooooo!!! That is sooooo wrong. I would not let it slide, I would sit her down and set some ground rules when your a little calmer. Tell her you wanted to take photos with your child unwrapping their presents etc

4 Likes

Who the hell does this😤
You are not over reacting! I’d put up a ty FB post and let everyone know, my mother in law opened the presents without us so I have no idea what gifts are from whom. I know it may seem petty, but you didn’t get to take pictures of him pulling at the wrapping paper :rage:

22 Likes

What’s wrong with her? Who does that?

I’m mad just reading this! The nerve of her!

1 Like

You have every right to be mad. I’m mad just reading this

Id be totally peeved. Now you dont know who gave your baby what…she had no right to do that. I have no idea why she would even want to…

No you are not over acting lt was not of her business to open the presents. Its not her baby or her birthday. And your husband has no back bone not standing up to his Mother over this. Because this will get worse and worse she will keep on lnterferring. Had the loviest Mother ln Law who wouldnt dream of interferring like this.

If you dont want to explain to your friends i would just say thank you for your lovely gift but id fess up and tell them

I’d be absolutely furious. How dare she.

1 Like

Your right shes not nice

she would’ve gotten her feelings hurt!

1 Like

Omg. No you are not over reacting, I would be angry and upset too, it was up to you to either help your son open them or you open them for him, with him there. She is really out of order.

1 Like

No that’s disrespectful

Hahahahahahah yeah NO. Not okay

She has no right to open anything that is not hers and you do have a right to be upset. Your husband should speak with his mother and she should rewrap the gifts & apologize however it sounds like that is not going to happen. . How sad ! I’m afraid she won’t change and this may be a constant battle. I am not sure how long you two have been married but I would be willing to bet she is always in someone else’s business and has interfered in your more than once . She sounds toxic and like a busy body !

7 Likes

Cheeky bitch …I’d swing for her

You’re not wrong she’s got a lot of nerve. That would be the last party she would be invited to at my house.

11 Likes

No she had a cheek to open them in the first place. They were her presents

You have every right to be pissed off, now what if some of the cards had money in it? You’ll never know since she opened up all the gifts/cards. Your husband needs to grow a pair, how dare he think what his mother did was okay.

18 Likes

Yeah honestly, that’s weird as hell. 😵‍💫

3 Likes

How old is she? 5? Good grief!

2 Likes

Why would she open them she had no right I’d be mad too x

1 Like

Give the to her to keep🙄 how dare she open without them owner of the gifts or his parents around.

I’d be absolutely livid. That’s not ok. A one year old can still enjoy tearing the paper and taking things out of bags. She robbed her grandchild of the chance. She would never be invited to another party ever again. I’d rip her a new one, myself.

9 Likes

What a stupid woman yes you have every right to be mad

2 Likes

Ffs! What is wrong with people! Who would even think to do that? Nope!

4 Likes

I would be furious and so would my husband. Your husband needs to grow a pair and stand up for you now or it will only get worse

3 Likes

No ur not!!!
What a very selfish cow… a weird one at that!!! Who on earth even thinks of doing that… especially on a baby’s 1st birthday … I would have torn her a new one.

7 Likes

Why did she open them? What was her purpose, except she is a crazy old bat! He needs to grow a pair real damn quick!

Tell her to F. Off. And tell your husband to grow balls or he will be called divorced.
Edit:
Now that I’ve calmed down, maybe you could put all the presents out, invite the people who gave you presents and ask them which ones they gave you. I’m sure they will ask why, and you are a good person and you don’t lie.

I would be pissed! What’s wrong with her, ugh :weary:

1 Like

Taking moments from her grand! Why would she do that!

1 Like

I would go batshit crazy. No you are not in the wrong. Clearly your M.I.L feels eithet very entitled or is very controlling.

1 Like

Nope not overreacting. I’d be pissed

That is not her place to open them :unamused: wow I’d be mad too . They are not hers to open . Disgusting behaviour, I guess she is child so

Oh I’d be p*ssed! She’s taken all the fun and joy out of your child’s first birthday. She needs to step aside and realise she’s the grandparent and not the parent, you are.

1 Like

He’ll no she had no business doing that. It was not her place.

She has way overstepped, it’s for the baby not her🤦‍♀️what a selfish, woman👎🏽

It literally makes no fucking sense! Imagine doing that to a child let alone your own grandchild

You are not wrong, she had absolutely no right to do that

I would be beyond livid :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:She well and truly overstepped the boundaries. Did your husband offer you an explanation as to why she did this ? Is she a drug addict/ alcoholic or gambler,and this is normal behaviour for her ? If this is the case , your husband should NOT have let her take the gifts home with her . What did he actually say about it when he came home with the opened gifts? I have so many questions and only one solution and it’s not pretty :flushed::woman_facepalming:xxx

Mother in law had her time with kids. Tell her to move on and not do it again. Stop taking the joy out of what u like. And exactly. Now who u thanking for that. Make sure she writes out those cards

2 Likes

You’re definitely not in the wrong!!

What ??? No …………

People really should stop asking why he didn’t open them… she said there were a lot, he probably did open some and lost interest and got overwhelmed, also, it was obviously not at home, so they likely were on limited time at the venue. There is not always time
What she did was totally wrong, there are no excuses

1 Like

She was in the wrong. They weren’t hers to open. Geesh my kids know before they’re 3 not to touch things that don’t belong to them. That grown woman should know. I wouldn’t trust her to help you again.

1 Like

I would be livid, she had NO right to do that!

Wth I would be so pissed. Why would she not have followed you home and dropped them at your house for you and your family to open them. I’d be very angry too

2 Likes

I would be fuming. What a cheek.

I would be upset. My one year old enjoys the excitement of taking things out of the boxes! I don’t understand her thought process behind it? Maybe she thought it would be helpful? You have every right to be upset!

Absolutely no, that was so insensitive and immature of her to do that. I would have wanted pictures with the baby and the gifts as they were opened. The irrational ones are your husband and his mother. Wish I could smack her for you.:grin:

3 Likes