Am I entitled to alimony?

I want to ask the group an anonymous question, please. I have been a stay at home mom for the past six years. I have been with my husband for like 17 years and married for ten years. He and I will be separating, but I have no source of income. My husband has been the provider since I became a stay at home mom. Can I ask the court for him to pay alimony? I realize it’s different from state to state, and I live in Virginia. I know I will need to get a job; that’s not an issue. But as of right now, I don’t have any income. I’m emotionally drained and have never been through this before. Any advice or good vibes would be greatly appreciated.

13 Likes

Ask a lawyer
But general rule of thumbis spousal support often set for 50% the length of marriage

1 Like

You likely can. Just be aware that Alimony is taxable income to you and tax deductible to your spouse.

2 Likes

In Ohio yes you would definitely get alimony. Get a top notch attorney.

Get a free consult from a lawyer. Separating is not divorcing. Laws are different for each situation.

2 Likes

If he id leaving you then yes you can get alimony. You need to get a lawyer. Go on google there is a number you can call they will give you a lawyer since you have no income. Then also child support too. And should get half of everything.

1 Like

Good luck! Divorces are ugly all the way around. Sending good vibes your way!!

2 Likes

You have the right as his wife and Natural mother of his children to petition for it. You must be able to prove you had full time employment before the MARTIAL decision for YOU to give up you’re income to raise the children.

2 Likes

You need an attorney. You won’t get it by yourself

Va resident here

3 Likes

You should qualify for alimony

If Virginia has alimony, maybe. But you need to be divorced. Legal separation and divorce or not the same thing.
You’ll need to get a family attorney/divorce attorney. Just because you were married, stay at home mom, etc doesn’t mean you will.
If you are leaving him? No you won’t. If he was leaving you, yes you might.
You also need to prove that you worked before the marriage took place (past tax returns would be the best documents).

1 Like

I know in Nebraska you don’t need to be divorced to get alimony my mom was legally separated and got it

1 Like

You can ask for it sure but why? Why can’t you just get a job instead of making a man you dont want to be with continue to pay your bills

10 Likes

Honestly…get a lawyer but also find a job. Seriously i was you and the best thing i did was to get a job and not depend on my ex financially

2 Likes

It says based on your states laws. 1 year paid for every 3 married. Since you were married for 10 years, you’ll only get 3 years & 4 months paid. IF you get it.
They do not count any years previous two legal marriage.
You could of just looked this up yourself.

3 Likes

Ask for spousal support it’s not taxeble

1 Like

Get a job and show you can support the kids, He could also get them if you can’t take care of them

2 Likes

We can not answer that. That something to ask the courts.

1 Like

My advice: Get a job.

2 Likes

When I got my divorced I just got myself a full time job. I wad a stay at home mom but then got a part time job. Once we decided divorce I got a better paying job. Why would you depend on him still? Sorry but get up, get out that funk and do for you and your kids.

4 Likes

This site will help you

I hope that you have a lawyer. Make your seperation a Legal Seperation from the court. Have your entittlements in writings from the court. Yes you should be entittled to allimony but that will not support ypu. You will need a job and you will need to be and want to self sufficient. Never totally depemdcon z man to support you. Be real. Grow up. Take care of yourself and your children . Show your children how strong of a motber and woman you are. Take good care of you and of yours.

1 Like

Get a job if you can’t support yourself and a child off welfare or child support … don’t ask your ex to pay you money just because you can …

4 Likes

If you ever had a job you cannot get alimony but it depends on your state’s law’s

Give dad full custody of the kids until you’re on your feet. Then do 50/50. If you can’t take care of just yourself you don’t need them along to

16 Likes

Your assuming she is taking the kids …She is asking for her to be supported not the kids

Why should have a man have to support you if y’all are no longer together? Child support I understand (if you are getting the kids) but to make him pay to support you is morally wrong

12 Likes

Love how alla yall must be perfect parents and spouses :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

9 Likes

He should not walk away with no cost to him!!

4 Likes

Alimony is not automatically given anymore, if you are able to work the court might give it to for a couple of months to get u back on your feet but it is mainly about the kids!

3 Likes

Alimony is a tricky subject. I would ask a lawyer a lot give free consultations.

Get free consultation from a divorce lawyer. You can ask for all sorts of stuff. Yes some you are entitled.

1 Like

In short. Yes. How much is determined by the court. Whether he actually pays it or not depends on him. I wouldn’t count on it as income.

3 Likes

Never experienced this so I may not be of much help. I would ask for it temporarily. I guess that’s how it works. Definitely need to get a job and you are working on that. Sorry for what you, the dad and the children are about to endure.

1 Like

Get a job. I never understood alimony … (I get what it is , and what its for) just saying people who go for it are bleep bleep bleepers in my book.
I get starting over is scary and intimidating. You can do it though :muscle: the feeling of success is amazing . I hope everything works out for you.

6 Likes

Some of you guys are ridiculous. At no point did she say she wouldn’t get a damn job. Reading is one thing but understanding is something a lot of you seems to be struggling with.
Best advice is consult a lawyer.

Why should he pay you money for not wanting to be with him anymore? Child support I get, if you have the kids more than 50% of the time. But if you don’t wanna be with him anymore he shouldn’t have to pay anything. Go get a job, have a family member watch the kids so you can work, and save up money

13 Likes

Stay with family or friends that can assist you with your kids, or find a sitter and get a job, two if need be. Nobody should have to pay your way for you if you are capable of working just because you’ve lived comfortably the past few years. I’ve never agreed with alimony.

9 Likes

In ohio you can after 5 years of marriage

Yea you are entitled. You kept a house for him correct? And you are also entitled to half the home and half of what he has so yes you are. You will need a lawyer though

2 Likes
1 Like

Yes, you’ll most likely get alimony.

You can and should only get child support. You’re a grown ass woman and he isn’t responsible for supporting

All I see if a bunch of freeloading bitches :joy::joy: i thought y’all were independent women! Oh but not when you might get free money.

Yes you are entitled to alimony. Alimony isn’t a forever thing, normally, it is set for a certain period of time to allow you to keep the same lifestyle you have or to find adequate employment to be able to make ends meet.

if youre in a alimony state yes you can get it…

My lawyer wanted me to get alimony and half his pension…I took neither…I did ask for child support…he gave me $100 a month and acted like I was taking all his money…he had a great paying job in a mill…I walked away with next to nothing worked 2and 3 jobs to support my son and myself…I was grateful just to be gone

1 Like