Am I overreacting to my ex calling my kids?

I think there is no doubt about what the community here thinks

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Another fucktard of an asshat who has something good and wants to destroy it only to later whinge about it…
Stop trying to dictate when a parent can or cant call his children that he helped create…
Just cause yous are seperated doesnt mean he is any less of a dad…
Grow up and stop making problems out of nothing there are bigger problems in the world then making a bloke out to be bad when he isnt

Let him talk to his kids :joy:

Sounds like a great dad :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Bitter as sin sorry!

Sounds like a good dad

First World problems eh?

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Am I overreacting to my ex calling my kids? - Mamas Uncut

2 Likes

I am in the same type of spot. However, my kiddos are bigger now. When they were younger I would rarely call on their dad’s time. Only because they aren’t big on talking on the phone, and their dad didn’t call on my time either. We basically let the kids decide. We had a good system in place and we knew that if something was wrong or if the kids wanted to talk we would allow them to call, but we never made them feel like they had to either. Now they are bigger and they have their own phones and they spend most of their time with me since dad’s work schedule changed. They communicate in their way. They text a select few people but rarely call anyone. Whatever works for you guys works for you guys. Maybe he just genuinely misses the boys daily and wants to speak with them. Some habits become hard to break and we feel like we missed something when we try to change them. Perhaps set up a tablet with face time and make a schedule for when he is able to call on your time. Like before bed or right after school. That way he can face time them on the tablet and won’t have to call your phone unless there is an emergency.

36 Likes

Me as a Mom would call every night to see how there day was and tell them I love them. I am sure they can’t remember everything they did or wanted to tell you about while they were gone. I would be grateful that your ex is so involved and cares about his kids so much.is it really THAT much of an inconvenience to let them talk to their Dad? I also don’t feel like phone calls need to be scheduled. If they want to call him fine, if he wants to call maybe ask that he do it around bedtime?

310 Likes

… I call my kid daily when he’s with his dad. When he’s busy, I’ll call at a more convenient time. It’s about the child ultimately. Who’s being punished by limiting phone time? :woman_shrugging:t2:

218 Likes

I would never be the reason my children didn’t talk to their daddy! I would want them to feel loved by both of us no matter who they were currently with :woman_shrugging:

108 Likes

Some dads won’t even call their kids. One day they’ll grow old and talking to any of you will be something they DONT wanna do. So cherish it now. LET their father call them. Tbh you’re probably just annoyed of hearing your ex’s voice everyday. Which is normal cuz who wants to hear their voices every single day :joy:

51 Likes

I would set a time so that he can call everyday. Like either in the morning or before bed. I don’t think you’re overreacting. You just want a solution that works for all of you. Set it up with him & then stick to it. Good luck Momma! :heart:

38 Likes

My ex lets me call my daughter as much as I want. And Vice versa. I’d never deny ny daughters father from talking to her.

38 Likes

I wish my kids dad cared enough to call his kid… :confused:

138 Likes

It’s not about you or him. It’s for the children. I would be glad, there are absent dads all over the place. Yes… you are overreacting. All your kids will remember when they are older is how much their dad cared enough to check in on them every day.

51 Likes

Is it in your agreement? I had to set a boundary as my ex always called at bedtime then took forever and bedtime was a mess. He knows he must call before 8pm. I also had to say to limit time on the calls. Set some parameters. Ours is just how was your day and goodnight. She can call also if she asks to speak to her dad. Our calls used to go on for 30 minutes every night and him and his wife were basically staring at me on zoom like they lived here. Lol.

17 Likes

Some women are explaining to their kids why they don’t hear from dad, or trying to, and you wanna gripe cause he does care? Shame on YOU!! So petty

73 Likes

I’d find a time that works. Most kids would love to talk to both parents every day

8 Likes

You are being selfish and overreacting. You are letting your bitterness for your ex get to you and you are expecting your kids to feel the same way toward their own dad which is very wrong of you. Be glad that he cares about the kids and never try to withhold that. It’s phone calls. Be grateful that he is in their life and loves them. You are still having your parenting time. Phone calls don’t take that much of it. So stop your ego-filled bitterness and get over yourself. I’m being blunt. I call it like I see it and I don’t sugarcoat anything. I said what I said. Adult up. Parenting ain’t a middle school.

22 Likes

Your question your ex for attempting to talk to his kids daily? How many mothers would love for their kids to get this attention. Just because you chose not to call nightly shouldn’t matter.

17 Likes

I think it’s great he continues being a dad even when it’s not “his time”. :woman_shrugging:t2: Some of us wish the father of our child cared as much.

14 Likes

My ex calls once a week to talk to his son. Usually every Tuesday around 6-7PM. We’ve been in an ongoing legal dispute and the judges say not to call every day as it interferes with the other person’s parenting time. So unless it’s okay with you, I would probably discuss having set days/times to call.

15 Likes

10 min a day is doing no harm. They will appreciate it when they are older. Good job dad!

38 Likes

I would be wanting to talk with my kids everyday. I see no harm in it

23 Likes

You’re mad because he wants to talk to his kids everyday? I think there are tons of ladies who only wish their kids dad was that involved. If you want to call more or less during his time is up to you. But I do think you are overreacting

30 Likes

Since no one knows the entire situation saying she’s over reacting or not is pretty redundant as really we have no insight on why he calls. If it’s truly just to talk to the kids because he’s interest in everyday contact or just to ruin her schedule and interfere with her family time. I had a narcissist for an ex and he felt that since he paid “rent on the kids” and referred to his time as “free babysitter “ he should be able to call any time he wanted.
I would do two things since this is an issue for you. One—set time for calls unless it’s an emergency.
Two—you get a set time to call them everyday they are with him and do so. Every day they are. He will shortly see how this feels for you and maybe things will tone down.

7 Likes

So many cruel comments and even sharing this post to talk crap about this mom like you are all perfect. I’m sure OP is grateful to have an involved dad for her kids, she just said he calls during dinner or family time.
If someone calls my daughter at dinner, I already have a hard time getting her to focus on eating, it would be distracting. OP I suggest just setting up a time when it’s okay for both of you and if him and the kids want to talk every day that’s fine just have an agreed time. Sorry you are getting so many negativity from a question. Probably triggered a lot of moms who has shitty exes but that’s not your fault!

15 Likes

Um, I’d be grateful my kids have a dad so willing to be in their life even when they are at moms house. Maybe have a civil conversation about when would be better times to talk

120 Likes

Sounds petty, he wants to talk with his children let him do so, if the times aren’t working for you ask him to call when it does work

16 Likes

My ex and I agreed to put it in our court papers that the other gets to call our child once a day during the other parent’s visit. We can call once between 8:00AM to 8:30PM. It’s great for our son to at least hear the other parent.
Even though they never want to talk long, even a quick love you means more than you realize. Also, I look forward to calling my kid when he’s with his dad. Just hearing his voice makes me feel better and helps me cope with him being gone.
If you have a set time for family time, see if there’s something you two can agree with that works around it. This shouldn’t be an inconvenience for you, nor should it be a hassle for your ex.

8 Likes

I call my children every day multiple times a day when they aren’t with me regardless of who they are with. Sorry mama i think you’re over reacting. He could be like my baby dad and not GAF at all. Count your blessings you have such an involved dad to work with

23 Likes

Are you fucking serious right now? You are honestly bitching about your children’s father WANTING to speak with his children daily? You are being petty as hell, woman! Get the fuck over yourself :roll_eyes:.

24 Likes

My dad limited phone calls with my mom and I resented him for a long time for it. As a child of divorce, it is nice to know that your parents want to talk to you. I can see your side as well. I’d speak with their dad and get together a time that works for you both for him to call

20 Likes

Aside from the rude comments, I feel the timing is the problem more than him calling. Embrace that he wants to talk to them. Maybe say, it’s great he calls every night, it’s important to the kids, but maybe closer to bed time. Work a time schedule for parent calls for both of you.

18 Likes

I think u r nit overreacting. It’s intrusive to your time. A couple times is sufficient. Daily is controlling. For all the people that think it’s so great, u aren’t being fair. My ex did this as well. He was just checking to make sure we weren’t doing anything or with anyone he could find fault with. There are other ways to show his love besides intruding on their time with their mom

20 Likes

Honestly it’s better that he actually WANTS to see them and talk to them. Maybe discuss having him call a little before bed so it doesn’t interfere with dinner or anything. Or call after school or a different time. I’d be glad that my ex was so involved even on his week off.

16 Likes

My ex calls my kids daily so they talk to him. Its overreacting. I’d think you would want him to have a relationship with your kids.

16 Likes

Overreacting for sure. How can u be mad that their dad wants to talk to them everyday. That’s awesome :ok_hand:

21 Likes

There are literally mom’s that got courts and shit looking for the kids dad and wish the kids could talk to their dad and you wanna bitch about him wanting to talk to HIS KIDS. WTF IS THAT BULL

15 Likes

He loves his boys, and clearly shows that by calling when he does not have them. Appreciate that.

8 Likes

Oh a dad that wants to talk to his kids… how terrible :neutral_face::roll_eyes: You’re letting your emotions get in the way. That’s great they have a dad that’s involved. Be thankful.

5 Likes

I had to set boundaries on the calls. He one time kept them on the phone for 4 hrs!!! And was calling 2-3x a day!!! If he calls past a certain time when it’s our bedtime routine he’s missed out and I clearly give him a schedule. And once I announce it’s bedtime time to wrap that call up. Of course now he never calls or texts, he sees them every other wknd and that’s it. I call if he’s keeping them longer than 24 hrs just to tell them I love them and good night. That’s it, 2 min we’re done.

4 Likes

Maybe set up a “time frame” he can call… I think you’re over reacting… there’s nothing wrong with a child father wanting to actually talk to their children… you should be thankful you’re not having to deal with a crying child every night wondering why they aren’t hearing from their other parent because they don’t care about talking to them. Then having children with emotional issues wondering what they did wrong and why they aren’t good enough…

3 Likes

I would want to talk to my kids everyday if they were away from me. I would just schedule a time with him. Ten minutes a day isn’t much.

3 Likes

I text my kids dad and ask what time is convenient for him, or for him to have the kids call me before bed. I talk to them every day when they are with him. It’s a good thing. He loves his kids. Stop making it about you.

2 Likes

Let him be involved as much as he wants! I wish kids would get a call from their dad it’s been almost 9 years

4 Likes

I would say you are overreacting. Not the same thing but when my kids stay at their Grandparents, I call them to goodnight and I call to say Good Morning the next day.

There are so many Fathers out there who arent involved at all. I would count your blessings.

2 Likes

Sounds like your toxic ma’am. So many women have to beg men to have relationships with their children. Here you have a father who’s making a daily effort, AS HE SHOULD, and you’re bothered by it. Let him talk to his kids. Even if it’s 10 min. Why does it bother you so much that he wants to talk to them? Is he crazy? Does he have addiction problems? There definitely needs to be a lot more context before you start letting strangers give you advice because i don’t think it’s going the way you were hoping.

2 Likes

My son lost his father this year a day after Father’s day unexpectedly. His father would call every night before bed for years. I never had any issues with that. In fact my son looked forward to hearing his father’s voice wishing him goodnight. It’s been two months since his passing and my son wishes he could hear his father one more time. You never know what’s going to happen to anyone. Let your ex talk to his kids. It’s not going to hurt anyone.

2 Likes

What kind of dumb bullshit is this? You don’t call so he can’t? Pick a convenient time and stop being terrible.

22 Likes

Lol everyone understand this post talking about “be glad he calls” obviously have some issues they need to work out. I agree it’s great he wants to talk to them. BUT you are absolutely right about not calling them excessively, and thinking it’s excessive how much he calls. It’s almost as if he doesn’t trust you, or what you’re doing. And that’s coming from some one who’s BD not only was barely there, but passed away recently. My son’s goes over my grandparents house just about every other weekend cause my grandma LOVES having him. I RARELY call when he’s over there, for the WHOLE weekend. 1) Cause, respectively, my son is 2.5 and he doesn’t care when I’m on the phone. And 2) that’s ny grandparents time for him and if something is wrong they know how to call me. I also agree with setting up a schedule and of course letting them call if they want to. But it is NOT standing in the way if you put boundaries in place, or ask for the same respect for your time with them. I hope you guys come up with something, and he hears where you’re coming from. I know coparenting is an uphill battle​:heart::heart:

2 Likes

I think that’s amazing that he calls everyday- sounds like an alright guy! Maybe just set a time that’s more convenient for you! Sounds like he’d probably be willing to do so since talking to them is a priority to him. :heart:

1 Like

Yeah you’re overreacting. That’s his kids. Doesn’t matter if they say nothing for ten minutes. He’s wanting to be present every day of their lives, he loves them and you’re mad about it. Tell him the best time to call and then maybe take his lead and call your kids when they’re with him nightly. At least to tell them you love them and ask how their day was.

3 Likes

You’re definitely overreacting. If I couldn’t be with my kid ever day the VERY LEAST I’d expect is to be able to call them and tell them goodnight and I love them. You’re being pretty selfish and I bet if you asked, he wouldn’t mind you doing the same. You’re lucky he’s not a shitty parent and actually wants to be in his kids lives. It’s petty stuff like this that makes you look bad.

2 Likes

My girl asks to call her dad, or he will call her. If we’re busy, I won’t answer and text him “she’ll call you back after _______”.
I don’t think it’s an issue. Everyone has their own way of showing love and doing things. I wouldn’t let it interrupt any family time, but I think it’s totally acceptable to answer or text and let him know they’ll call him back later. You could also always distinguish aceeptable time frames for him to call them.

1 Like

How my sons dad and I do it… we text each other first and then if we aren’t busy we call right then and there but if he’s doing something with our son or I’m doing something with him we let each other know and then say a time that is better or that we’ll call as soon as we get done Bc we don’t know how long it’ll be

2 Likes

Be happy you have a man that wants to be in his children’s lives. My children haven’t heard from their dad in months! Let that man talk to his kids. If it’s not a good time give him a time to call back at.

2 Likes

He ( and you ) both have the right to speak to your children everyday no matter whose day it is. Set a time frame for every evening (7-8 for example) and call and speak to your children. It’s known and no surprise it’s coming.

1 Like

Beats the alternative …he could not call or care at all :woman_shrugging: Establish boundaries , just ask that he call during a set period of time so you can still have your quality time with them and it’s less interfering . Don’t answer if he doesn’t respect that and have then call back when you’re completed with what y’all had going on at the moment .

1 Like

I do the same and ill be damned if his dad would tell me when i can and cant speak to OUR child. He has is own phone so not really a issue. He still my kid even when he is with his dad.

1 Like

My daughter lives with me, she goes to her dads every other weekend - I still text and call her daily on his weekend. Good morning, good night, and speak as well. There’s no amount that is enough to talk to your child, I’d be more concerned when it wasn’t enough

1 Like

I let my kids talk to their dad whenever they please, and he can call them whenever, but if we’re busy he understands. He usually texts beforehand just to see if we’re busy or if he can call later. But definitely be grateful your children’s father wants to be in their lives, so many don’t care.

1 Like

Wow. This is wayyy too damn much. If he never called you’d probably bitch about that too. Bottom line, Your kids come first. There are Homes with 2 parents still together where the dad’s don’t care that much. Shame on you for being so self absorbed. Your problems with your ex aren’t your kids problems and you need to be grateful they have a Dad who is involved. Kids are never convenient, you chose who you laid down with to create them. Absolutely childish. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Coming from someone whose parents were divorced at a young age…GET OVER YOURSELF! Kids need BOTH parents equally. If your ex is wanting to talk to his kids please let him. No matter how short the time. It means something to your kids. Ask him to call after dinner if that is the issue. There are so many more things in this life to be upset over. Kids notice when you’re upset when he calls and they will make the issue theirs and its not. Don’t make them feel bad about talking to their dad. Whatever issues you have with him set it aside and do what is best for your boys.

1 Like

No hate against you but… you’re over reacting. I would LOVE if my ex would call my daughter even once a week. When she is away from me, I talk to her every day.
If the time he is calling in not convenient… maybe try finding a better time so he can still speak to them but not interrupt dinner.

1 Like

Here’s a different perspective (possibly an unpopular one but here it goes anyway).
Maybe dad is manipulative and narcissistic and is only calling EVERYDAY to check on what’s going on in Mom’s life (is she home, is she not home, etc. and to interfere in the mother’s parenting time OR to encourage negative feelings and conversation with their child) instead of really being interested in a conversation with their child?
I think once or twice in a WEEK to check in and say “hi I love you, hope you’re having a good time” is more than enough.
Some dad’s will call EVERYDAY at the same time even if he’s away from their child for 3 days and IMO that is excessive.
Not all dad’s who call EVERYDAY are “such great dad’s that love and care for their child” Do Not be so naive.

1 Like

Sooo many women, tearing down another woman. Truly sad to see. :pleading_face:
As a single mother—I would love it if my son’s Father would want to have a relationship with him. However, I can definitely understand where you are coming from…you’re being respectful of your kids’ time with their Father and in return want the same.

Parents don’t always call the other parent to check in on their child. Sometimes there are other motives. My son’s Father will only contact me when things AREN’T going well in his life and wants to let out his anger on me.

Communicate with your ex about when might be a better time for him to call your kids. I hope you guys can come to an easy understanding. You got this. Hang in there Mama! :heart:

1 Like

Girl you should be THANKFUL AND HAPPY that their dad calls them every day. You are lucky and so are your kids. There are so many parents who have nothing to do with their kids. Let alone call them every day. Get over it and be thankful

1 Like

It’s cool that he calls every day, it’s not cool that he doesn’t respect your schedule. My first step would be to talk to him and ask him to call at a more convenient time. Maybe the same time every day?

1 Like

They are his children too, you should be grateful that he loves his kids and is in their life as much as possible a lot of children don’t have that. If he calls when you’re doing something then tell him to call back later or don’t answer and text him they’re busy and they’ll call him when they’re done with what they’re doing.

1 Like

I think it’s a great gift to your children that he cares enough to speak to his kids every day​:blue_heart::blue_heart:. They will remember and appreciate that.
I spoke to my kids everyday, as did their dad!

1 Like

I think is awesome he calls! Is 10 minutes a day really interfering that much? Maybe suggest a time for him to call and give him a time limit. For example for 8-815. That way he can say hey I love you hope you had a good day goodnight. And request that you’re able to do the same if you wish on his days. And if you don’t want that’s fine. However I think it’s an opportunity a lot of kids don’t get to have and it’s a good thing for everyone

1 Like

My court order is that they talk to the parent they are not currently visiting 2X during the week… however my boys dad calls them every night. And I encourage them to talk to him and tell him about their day. Children need both parents, wether you like it or not they are a part of each of you. Swallow your pride and do what’s best for your kiddos, also you only calling twice during his week isn’t going to make him want to talk to his kids any less. You could call them each night if you wanted to.

1 Like

As a mom, I can’t go one day without speaking to my child. I think it’s a great thing he’s an active dad. They will remember that when they’re older. If it’s not causing harm, I don’t see the issue. It’s amazing seeing that.
I’m literally honestly think you’re over reacting.

1 Like

If he is calling just to check in on them every day and not have bad motives (such as questioning them for custodial benefits) than yes they need that and you can do the same! I work with dads that are in town for work a week at a time and will call their kids regularly every night while they are gone. Girl be happy they have that​:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::raised_hands:

1 Like

When the kids are older they will remember their dad thinking of them and loving them enough to call every night. That’s wonderful! I’m sure you’re exhausted and want your own family time but this is a true blessing to have both parents be involved as much as possible! He may not be able to call on a set schedule so let it be!

1 Like

I call my daughter EVERY SINGLE DAY that she is with her father! We also do a week on week off (during the summer only)!! However, when she’s with me, she barely speaks to her father…… so you can bet your tail I’m making sure I call MY child every single day they are gone!!! I’d give anything for him to contact her daily!! Just my input!

1 Like

Wow. You should thank the heavens for a father who calls every single day. Get over yourself. This MY week vs YOUR week is just nonesense. They are BOTH of your kids EVERYDAY

1 Like

You’re being extremely petty about the situation… be an adult- it’s not about you or your ex- it’s about what your kids want. An adult would sit down with the kids snd the dad and come up with a time that works for everyone.

1 Like

Please don’t be a HIGH CONTROL BABY MOMMA. As in Mrs Doubtfire I quote they’re “his damn kids too”.

Just ask for a certain time frame to have calls. 5-10 minutes is not interfering with your time. Let’s get real.

If you don’t want to call them, but 2x that’s you! Kudos to dad who wants to talk to his kids.

1 Like

Def overreacting & sound kinda crazy honestly. So if he told u their MOTHER, that u can talk to them when u have them, not when he does u’d be ok with that? Regardless of how often, u’d be fine with that? Doubt it. Should be grateful they have a father that cares & wants to speak to them.

Be grateful they have a father who makes an effort. Their father has a right to talk to them daily, just as you do.

1 Like

This is just insane and spiteful. Wanting to ask how your child’s day was, how they’re doing, or to say goodnight/ I love you DOESNT affect your time with your kids and if it does it’s because of you. I know some people who WISH their dad cared this much… smh :woman_facepalming: the nerve.

1 Like

… you’re… you’re upset that their dad WANTS to talk to them? Do you not realize how many dads don’t want anything to do with their kids? You’re blessed! If he wants to talk to his kids let him!

1 Like

Those are his kids too. The fact that you don’t call every night when he has them Says something about you in my opinion.

2 Likes

My toddler daughter’s father video calls her almost every night when he doesn’t have her. My teenage daughter’s father and stepmother do the same. The relationship with the other parent doesn’t stop just because they’re not at their house. This is an excellent thing for your children and you should appreciate his daily involvement in the children’s lives. His relationship with them clearly means a lot to him and you’re overreacting and being petty and vindictive if you feel otherwise.

1 Like

My children call as and when they like as so their dad and Step mum

They can come and see them when every they wish even if it’s outside of their contact order
Parenting is about working as a team 24/7
He isn’t a part time dad
Put differences and think about what the children want do they want to speak to him everynight
Cause once they’re older it does change

1 Like

You are over reacting. My kids only go weekends except for summer and I call them every night very briefly just to say I love you and miss you. Dad may call them once or twice between his weekends. And to me I feel like he is too busy. It takes 5 minutes to call your kids.

1 Like

I just wish my ex calls his son once a week, every day is a blessing for the kids. My son has to sit and wonder why his dad doesn’t want to talk to him and I’m left to pick up the pieces. I think you need to count your blessings my dear this is great for the kids imo x

I would be so sad if I only spoke to my babies 2x a week :sob:
If that’s what you need, fine… but let the kids talk to their parent as much as they’d like.

1 Like

This so sad and childish ! My ex does this and refuses to answer my calls when his daughter wants to talk. You need to grow up and do what’s best for your kids. Set your feelings aside and let them talk. You can spare 10+mins out of 24 hours with them

1 Like

Are you serious? My ex and I have 2 kids together (6 and almost 3), and he walked out of their lives 2 years ago. You should be grateful your ex gives a shit enough about them to call!

1 Like

I get your reasoning but I say pick your battles- this is much better than begging your ex to see your children! :heartpulse: Show them that both parents care and can be “involved” together during the same week

1 Like

I think you are overreacting. The other parent should be able to call everyday if they’d like. If the child is busy have the child ask for him to call back at a later time. You should be glad that he takes the time to check in with them everyday. Some dads (and moms) go days without a care in the world!

Overreacting is an understatement. These times are tough, we all don’t know when will be our last time we see or speak to our children. Let him have the calls. You yourself say the conversations are no more than 10 minutes.

1 Like

Someone once said this to me: “In all that you do, be sure that when your child looks back at your choices during their childhood- they do not feel that it is your fault that their relationship with the other parent was harmed in any way to them.”

1 Like

Do you think you could communicate with him a scheduled time to call? Maybe just before bed so he can tell them good night and ask how their day was? I understand why you would be frustrated, but I also understand why he would call daily. I think you just lack a decent scheduled time to avoid the inconvenience.

1 Like

You’re SO overreacting! Get over yourself! I call my child every night when he’s with his dad & his dad does the same.
Be thankful your kids have a dad who’s involved with your children!

1 Like