Am I weird for thinking this and over reacting?

This is the exact reason why I use the app Family Album and have added every family member on it and post pictures of my kids there instead of always on fb. Its more private and only the people I invite can see the photos.

1 Like

I’m careful about what I post about my kids/grands and I ask my daughter about reposting a pic of my grandson. It is a simple courtesy I use.

1 Like

It’s weird and not okay, they aren’t her kids. Call her out on it. Until she can behave appropriately, no photos of or with your kids :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Drop it. Sounds like you just want to have a problem with her.

4 Likes

I think it’s weird that she would send out Christmas cards of her and her nieces/nephews… that’s so odd.

She should have asked. Your husband should say something not leave it to you.

5 Likes

Let her know don’t do it again and when she does see your family …no not let her take any pictures. If she asks why…tell her.

Its weird and disrespectful
Somethings not Right
I would group your children’s pictures to a computer and put them on a Flash Drive and takes pictures off of Facebook .
and wouldn’t put anymore on there.
If you take pictures and want to keep them put them In a Photo Album like Picassa and add them to your Flash Drive. And take them off Computer too .
To many Red Flags

Just let it go it’s ok :+1:

3 Likes

Then you shouldn’t post any either. :woman_shrugging: just because you “know” everyone on your Facebook people still get hacked so no you really don’t “know”
I wouldn’t be upset shows me my sister in law loves my kids, and my sister in law would feel the same. We see her and the girls maybe twice a year so millions of pictures are then and shared!

3 Likes

Complains about weirdos in the world with kid pics yet proceeds to post kid pics :thinking:

3 Likes

I think it’s weird how many people are saying it’s not okay. She’s literally their aunt and if she has no kids of her own maybe that’s why. But she’s family not a random person.

7 Likes

Well that means they love your kids and you should be thankful of that not selfish about it

4 Likes

I think you are overreacting.

6 Likes

You are totally overreacting! Apparently, the SIL feels closer to your children than you realize. As far as identity safety, as long as she isn’t adding a full legal name, address or date of birth to the the pic she shares, I don’t see the issue. Most people don’t stop to think of all the ways that others can gain access to personal info, if they desire. All of my children played sports when they were growing up. Every year there was a team photo (soccer, t-ball, gymnastics, etc), published in the local paper, that included names of everyone in the photo. These team pics of kids still get published in our local paper. Also, in most schools around the country, including elementary, there is a pic of every child that is included in a yearbook of all the students that attended. This yearbook not only includes a pic of your child, it also includes the grade they are in and the name of the school they attend is printed on the yearbook. There is usually copies of yearbooks for every school year, available at your local library, that anyone can view. My children were honor students. Every time an honor report card was received by one of my children, their name, grade and school, were published in the local paper, usually with a pic included. My daughter participated in several pageants, school and non school related. The students that won or were in the top 5 were shared in the local paper, along with their name’s and ages. She also was the co-captain of an award winning dance team. Her pic, along with all other team members were proudly printed in the paper, along with their name and the school name to honor the fact they won an event, while representing our school/town. My oldest son played basketball during Jr and Sr high. He was a good player, so there were frequently photos of him making the winning shot or pics of him showing his stats in the paper. He was also invited to try out for the US Olympics Soccer Team, which was also printed with a pic in the paper. I shared all this info to say that whether you want or not, eventually, your child’s pic, name, school attended and grade will be published in a public forum sooner or later, unless you are home schooling them and they don’t participate in sports or other activities outside of your home. In other words the only way to prevent pics making there way to the public, would be to move to a compound/communal environment, where pics aren’t likely to be taken, Your best defense isn’t to prevent photos of your kids from being shared. Your best defense is to teach your children stranger safety and what they should do in the event they feel threatened. Teach them when they are not with you to always have one or more friends with them, b/c there is safety in numbers. Make sure that doors and windows are kept locked at home. Install cameras, prominently, in and around your home, so anyone, including strangers, are aware that you have pics that enables you to identify them.

3 Likes

I would just ask them about their privacy settings on their page, if it’s set to public simply ask them to change it if they’re going to keep posting pictures of your kids. This world is too crazy. They’re your kids. And I’ve learned, just because someone is Family, doesn’t mean they have your best interests at heart.

I’m to the point where I barely post any pictures of my daughter or anything about her. I used to all the time, until I found out some of my “friends” were stealing them and sending them to my ex. I don’t even post about myself, since they sent that too. We have too many mutual friends to narrow it down to who was doing it, so I just stopped. If he wanted anything to do with her, he could contact me for the supervised visits. She just turned 6, I ended things with him when she was 6 months old and he’s seen her once since then and that was at the child support office. Sure, he begged me to come back then and repeatedly told me he’s changed but I knew it was a lie. He never calls or tries to see her and doesn’t pay child support. So he doesn’t need to know anything about either of us. He lost that right when he decided to be a narcissistic abusive asshole and when he started threatening me. And when I discovered the truth about him.

People have lives that doesn’t mean she doesn’t love them. Be grateful

If you post them anyone can take them so not a big deal just slightly weird.

So don’t post ANY pics…problem solved :joy:

2 Likes

It’s ok let it go, she loves your children, embrace with her.

You sign a waiver on social media that they can steal any pic and use it so if you’re that worried you wouldn’t put your children on social media at all

3 Likes

All these people saying she’s over reacting. She is the mother, if she feels uncomfortable with it, who are you to tell her that her feelings are wrong.
Personally I think it’s a little odd if she barely sees them. But understandable if she’s hundreds of miles away. Maybe she facetimes/calls often etc. If she’s the type of aunty that doesn’t really bother with them then I would be like no, don’t use pictures of my kids to make you look good. But if she tries to be part of their lives during other means like calls and FaceTime then it’s a good thing, shows she loves them and wants share it. hopefully you all get the chance to get together more and make many more memories.

13 Likes

People really hate the idea of other people loving their kids , it’s so ridiculous

6 Likes

Drop it. Clearly, she’s proud of your family.

1 Like

Very few child molesters, which seems to be her issue, are unknown to the child. Family and friends are more likely to harm your child than a stranger. Stop worrying about random strangers seeing pics of your kids. .

3 Likes

You’re the mother, if it’s a concern… it’s ALLOWED to be a concern. Don’t let people sit here, and just say that you’re being overprotective or weird about it. They are your children, so what you say goes. Whether or not it is as simple as posting a picture, or sending Christmas cards out without your permission.

You are allowed to feel the way you are, just don’t be mean about it and communicate your feelings without seeking an argument.

If they are understanding, and say okay, I won’t do it again or I’ll ask next time or something… then move on. If not, if they try to fight with you. Move on, without them in your life.

No one gets to decide what you do with your children. Only you, and the father/mother decide. Everyone else has the PRIVILEGE of being around your children, or even knowing them.

If they want to abuse that privilege. Take it from them.

7 Likes

Just tell her how you feel. My mil asks me to post anything after to told her I wasn’t comfortable with her posting my kids. Im still not andnits been 4 years. They have to respect that you are the mom and those are your children.

Who are you to say what these kids mean to the aunt? She may brag on them to everyone. She may just be proud of them.

2 Likes

Be happy that she loves you’re kids and is so proud and wants to show them off, some kids have family that don’t give a crap so count it as a someone who is proud to know you’re babies and loves them

She had no right to use your children for her Christmas card. That’s super weird. I would have your husband tell her to never do that again or yourself and stop sharing pictures.

8 Likes

You have a social media account that I’m sure you post your kids pics on. Anyone can screenshot and steal it and do whatever they want. Also… all your profile pics and cover photos are public.
So if your kids are in any of those they are there for whole world to see.

Be thankful she loves your kids.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s weird but I have a really close family and before I had kids my nieces were my world I had them every single day and posted thousands of pictures of them and me on my social media my sister does the same with my kids even though she doesn’t seem them as much.

1 Like

I would just ask her casually why she used it and be done with it. If it is bc she loves your kids…fine. Any other reason…id just tell her it makes you uncomfortable and to just ask before do that again…

1 Like

Don’t share the pictures with them or anyone.

3 Likes

Honestly, posting anything on social media you can’t really expect privacy. If you don’t want your kids seen, don’t post them.

If you don’t want your kids pictures being reposted on the internet then don’t post pictures of your kids on the internet

I steal pics from family and give as gifts lol I didn’t even think it would be weird, granted I don’t use them as my Christmas photos but I give them in blankets and frames :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging:

I’d go mad tbh. I don’t post nothing of my children so I certainly wouldn’t be expecting someone else doing it

3 Likes

I would have your husband call her in the phone and say “hey, I got your Christmas card. Why did you put our kids on it?” See what she says but this is very bizarre……it’s not like they’re really close

2 Likes

Y’all are weird!! She is their MOTHER!! I don’t care how many times I post my children on social media, ask me before you go and do this!! Seems like there is no real relationship so yeah that’s super weird and red flags of concern for mom!! Ask her why did she do that and see what she says… She can love them all she wants but to send out Christmas cards with my children is a NO NO!!:facepunch:t3::facepunch:t3:

7 Likes

If those were my kids and she posted them on a Christmas card with her with out asking I would be upset.Is she passing them off as her children.This was not a family photo.

1 Like

Sounds like auntie doesn’t have much going on in her life. If you want to keep your kids private, tell her how you feel and not to post the kids… problem solved :roll_eyes: it’s really not that hard

1 Like

Just be aggressive Lawrd everything isn’t for pc feelings and niceness sake. They’re wrong you are correct. Your children your world. Go Off!