Am I wrong for being upset?

My boyfriend and I have been together almost 9yrs ,he's 45y & I'm 30y. We have 3 kids: 10y(B) 5yr (B) & 2y(G), only the last two biologically his. We have had MANY conversations about our future..marriage, house, etc. This year he bought me a promise ring for Christmas(he bought is Christmas eve & I have to wear it on my thumb it's so big). Let me start of by saying it's beautiful and I love it BUT after almost 9yrs I feel its slightly irrelevant. To me a promise ring is a step of from dating someone, its show we are serious but not yet engaged. Doesn't living together for 8 + years and having two more children together already say that?!? Am I wrong for being upset..? I feel like it's just another way to push out getting engaged and married.
263 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Am I wrong for being upset? - Mamas Uncut

Nah you arenā€™t wrong for thinking what the heck, because Iā€™m also over here thinking what the heck hahaha.

19 Likes

No . I reckon feeling upset is ok. He hasnā€™t bothered with the detail at all and it feels like heā€™s given you a consolation prize rather than a commitment. More like a ā€˜ keep her quiet ā€˜ present .

13 Likes

I wouldnā€™t have stayed that long without talking about getting married

8 Likes

You did it all backward from the git go.

10 Likes

Wow, he didnā€™t even get the ring size right.
Iā€™d be upset

11 Likes

You have a right to be upset and you are correct itā€™s just a hush present. I would sit down with him and have a serious conversation about the goals for the relationship. Itā€™s been long enough to know if he wants to marry you or not and he needs to be making them steps!

8 Likes

Iā€™d love the ring. But hate the idea that after 9 years he still doesnā€™t know the size.

1 Like

Next time heā€™s feeling frisky give gift certificates for bowling and a dollar off on large fries then roll over and go to sleep

26 Likes

Is not gonna change anything :woozy_face: just a certificate saying youā€™re married
Other than that yā€™all lives will be the sameā€¦

1 Like

Marriage isnā€™t for everyone. Maybe he doesnā€™t need a piece of paper to show he loves you & committed to you? The promise ring could be his way of comprising with you.

3 Likes

Sounds to me like you might be right! You have already decided how this relationship is going to end. Do something about it. Donā€™t waste anymore time wanting to be married to him. Make your decision and then go. There is such a thing as falling out of love or losing interest because someone waited to long to act. I think your boyfriend canā€™t see the forest for the trees.

1 Like

Yeah, should be a engagement, ring idk Iā€™d be upset. Whatā€™s the hold up? Ask him, my husband knows my ring size he did when we were dating. Tell him how you feel.

1 Like

He gave you an ā€œItā€™s been 9 years and 2 children, and Iā€™m still not ready to commit ringā€

11 Likes

If he respects loves and supports youā€¦I canā€™t see the issueā€¦go arrange the right ring size and enjoy itā€¦count your blessingsā€¦and keep moving forwardā€¦seeing so many failing relationships ā€¦and how each partner is mistreatedā€¦if you think its an issue voice your worries but donā€™t make a big issueā€¦being there for you is priceless

1 Like

You settled for less when you moved in with him and had his kids without the commitment. So now he probably thinks whatā€™s the point you guys are basically married without it being official

5 Likes

Iā€™d be upset first that the size is wrong. Like, DUH. Then Iā€™d be upset if youā€™re going to make a gesture after nine years itā€™s a promise rather than engagement.

Your feelings are definitely validated. Heā€™d be better off not doing it at all in my opinion.

6 Likes

then you buy a ring for him and say this is the date we getting married

6 Likes

Yeah a promise ring is really silly at this point. But :woman_shrugging: obviously he isnā€™t ready for marriage and he is telling you that with this ring. I would stop playing house and playing wife if you want marriage. If heā€™s not ready now he wonā€™t be.

2 Likes

I recieved a promise ring at 16 years of age from my boyfriend (which I did marry at seveneenā€¦But in your situation yehā€¦not saying much

2 Likes

Just organise a surprise weddingā€¦heā€™s just being lazyā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve been with my significant other going on 7 years. He got me a promise ring at 4 months and we got engaged after being together 4 years. We still havenā€™t set a date or even thought about planning a wedding. It used to bug me that we werenā€™t jumping into planning but now I see it as we do everything like we are married. Weā€™ve both been through marriages and divorces horrible ones. So I really just feel like we are content and donā€™t put any pressure on each other. He wears his promise ring around his neck every day and has since he gave me mine. Marriage is and can be a wonderful thing but itā€™s not everything to us. Being happy and being together and having our family is what we focus on.

3 Likes

9 years?? Youā€™ve been put off 6-7 years tooooo long. Thereā€™s no future there. The ring is a pacifier, to keep you quiet. Youā€™re upset about the wrong thing. Youā€™re still young enough to have a relationship with someone who is willing to take care of you and your children for the rest of your life you deserve far better

4 Likes

He donā€™t want to be with you. Itā€™s something there where he donā€™t wanna commit for a reason .

2 Likes

Some man are like thatā€¦ they just donā€™t get it right

Not ok. If marriage is something you want heā€™s moving at the slowest pace ever. A promise ring at this point in your relationship is honestly sad. Youā€™re 100% justified to feel disappointed and honestly disrespected by the lack of effort in even getting it sized. It definitely feels like a way to get the heat off of him or a way to continue putting off a proposal or marriage.

5 Likes

You see the problem is you gave yourself away without a commitment already so he feels itā€™s okay youā€™ll settle for less you know the old story why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free I still donā€™t understand why women keep putting themselves in this position

12 Likes

6 years not married or engaged.

Well guys have 1 track minds,plus if he bought it by himself with no help, yeah,I think he may be thinking he bought you what u wantedā€¦

1 Like

If he wanted to marry you, he wouldā€™ve by now. Im sorry. :confused:

11 Likes

I didnā€™t get married until we had dated for 10 years. We just were not ready or mature enough. He proposed several times, several rings etc. We just needed to go through the ups and downs and life before we really were ready.

1 Like

Leave. You arenā€™t on the same page, wanting different things.

3 Likes

Donā€™t rush it , I know 9 years is a long time plus with kidā€™s but sometimes itā€™s better to wait a little longer even tho 9+yearā€™s is a long time. Some people still donā€™t make it even after being together that long. He might be waiting a little longer to make sure yā€™all make it ā€¦ yes , I do agree a engagement ring should of come instead of a promise ring , he might want to make you the promise he isnā€™t going nowheres after that long but again some donā€™t make itā€¦

2 Likes

I donā€™t think your wrong. I feel like you have every right to feel the way you do. Truthfully men can talk about what sounds good but canā€™t put it into action. I think talking to him about this ā€œpromise ringā€and how irrelevant it is to your current relationship is the way to go.
He just may never be ready for the final step of committment

2 Likes

Keep it on your thumb. Tell him you are saving your ring finger for your wedding band. I would definitely get a future plan. Especially after 2 kids. Maybe he is playing it safe to avoid child support.

4 Likes

I am 50 and he is 53. He gave me his class ring after 6 months. I love it. No girl has ever been able to wear it. He loves me.

1 Like

A promise ring at 9 years??? Well that means engagement at 9 more and marriage at another 9 years. Girl you got another 18 more years, Your almost therešŸ™„

1 Like

My so and his ex wife married early a year of dating and married , 4 kidā€™s later & was together 11 yearā€™s and divorced. Been spilt up for almost 9 yearā€™s.

A promise ring seems almost insulting after 9ys, not saying you should get engaged clearly but imo heā€™s juvenile, just a regular gift would have been better

2 Likes

Promise rings are honestly more for high schoolers or people in their younger 20s (not trying to be rude to anyone with promise rings, theyā€™re just more for people who arenā€™t at an older age who are ready to 100% settle down).

The fact that youā€™ve been together so long and have kids, and he hasnā€™t proposed yet, he honestly might never. Thatā€™s a very long time to be with someone especially at such a mature age and not be engaged.

Iā€™d feel like I was wasting my life, Iā€™m sorry. :disappointed:

1 Like

May he is not ready to be married yet but ā€œpromisesā€ to be with you and intend to marry you in the future( kinda what the promise ring means). If you are ready for marriage and he isnā€™t, then there has been lack of communication by the both if you. So I totally canā€™t support you here

If youā€™re willing to give the milk for free why would anyone buy the cow? Proly something you shoulda thought of before giving him all the benefits of marriage without the legal commitment :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Omg These comments are killing me :woman_facepalming: I understand the hurt you are feeling by getting a ā€œpromise ringā€ I mean at this point you guys are far beyond promising anything. But take a step back and look at your relationship. Before he gave you the ring were you happy? What were your long term plans? Have you talked about marriage? Is marriage something you both truly want? He may not want to get married and feared if he gave you an engagement ring that means you need to start planning a wedding he doesnā€™t want. That doesnā€™t mean he doesnā€™t want to be with you! I have been with my fiancĆ© for 15 years! We are not married and have no plans to be. He did propose 12 years ago but that was more to seal the deal. We talked about that and how I wanted him to at least propose to me so he did. Maybe thatā€™s an option for you but you both need to communicate. I donā€™t think getting a promise ring means you need to end your relationship. I think you both just need to communicate your expectations if you havenā€™t already done so. In the meantime I would proudly wear that promise ring as he picked it out for you! :heart:

5 Likes

I donā€™t think there is any right or wrong timeframe there is only what YOU are willing to be happy with and if after 9 years you need more & he simply will not and does not want the same then itā€™s time to sit down together and evaluate your happiness. Iā€™ve been with my BF for 9 years too, no ring of any kind and we donā€™t even live together. But Iā€™m not pushing it because what we have works for us and Iā€™m happy. If the day ever comes when that arrangement no longer works and heā€™s unwilling to change or compromise then a different conversation will be had. Do what makes you happy and damn the social ā€œnormsā€.

When a man wants to spend the rest of his life with you it doesnā€™t take 9+ years to show it. Find someone who loves you and WANTS to commit to you!

16 Likes

Why do women feel the ultimate goal is for a man to marry her?
Marriage is overrated.
I dated for one year then got engaged.
Was engaged for a year then got married - was married for a few years before I realised marriage was the pits and I left - life has been amazing ever since!!!

Currently happily dating for 7 years - having our second (& last) baby soon
My partner gave me a ring after about 18 months of dating - I made him wait for a wedding.
If it were up to him we would have been married a few months after the engagement.

If he wanted to marry you he would have done so by now.
Donā€™t be upset - thereā€™s one of two ways to react.
I donā€™t see a problem either way.

Just remember you are more than complete as a women without a ring or marriage.
Youā€™re a mother and that trumps everything else.

After two kids and no ring - itā€™s more than him being unable to commit to your relationship - thatā€™s all on him & nothing to do with you at all.

1 Like

Iā€™d honestly be upset to.

1 Like

Why would he propose when you have already given him a wife? Its plain and simple Hun, if he wanted to he would, men arenā€™t that complicated sorry.

5 Likes

Are you sure he wants to actually get married on paper? I mean, what are you waiting for? Youā€™re talking about future plans but heā€™s 45. The time is now lol.

Iā€™m sorry but my partner and I was getting married in 2016 but I ended it. It was stressful and plus just having a baby I couldnā€™t do it but now i still hate the idea of marriage :rofl: I would love to just get engaged and end it there :heart:

1 Like

A promise ring is something teenagers get their little gf. Kiddy shit.

That is incredibly insulting. I have no words.

1 Like

Heā€™s pretty old. If heā€™s not ready to commit and get married then idk what else youā€™re waiting for. Youā€™ve given him a decade of your life. Your precious 20s. And 2 kids.

7 Likes

Honestly I would look upon it as a cocktail ring. Promise rings to me are for high school and early college dating culture. Itā€™s like making a promise to someone before youā€™re too young to actually get engaged sort of thing. So just wear it as a little Glam bobble

4 Likes

Sweetheart, be thankful you have your guy and that he bought you a ring. My husband and I have hit a rough patch and we werenā€™t together for Christmas and most likely wonā€™t be together for the new year. You are blessed and you donā€™t even see it.

1 Like

Why not open up and let him know how you feel?
You mentioned talking plans, future and all, these are centered on what?
Married life or live in lovers
Sort it out and make a decision.

1 Like

If itā€™s important to you to get married why not tell him that? I told my husband when I was ready to get married and we started planning.

1 Like

You have every right to be upset. I mean, youā€™ve been together for 9 years and have 2 children together. Heā€™s either not fully committed to this relationship, or heā€™s afraid of marriage.

1 Like

Marriage is overrated. A ring does not mean anything.
His actions do.

5 Likes

I gave my husband 4 years to propose. Finallyā€¦two months after dating 4 yearsā€¦told him we are marrying or Iā€™m gone. Not wasting anymore time. We got married 3 months later. Lol. Put your foot down. 8 years is a long time to wait for just a promise ringā€¦

4 Likes

Sounds like itā€™s time to have a serious conversation with him to find out where heā€™s at. Only he knows :woman_shrugging:t2:

Well sweetie, of course you have every right to be upset even to feel insulted. BUT thereā€™s an age old saying YOU donā€™t give Husband privileges to a BOYFRIEND. You have given this Man NINE years of your life ,ALL the benefits of Marriage including children, WHY would he Marry you? You have given him the BENEFITS of Marriage without Any commitment of Marriage .

11 Likes

POWERFUL SPELLCASTER THAT CAN BRING BACK YOUR LOVER.

I came across an Ad that suggested that DR Charles can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 15 hours later, my husband really called me and told me how he missed me and the kids so much, And kept apologizing on the phone. It was awesome!! that was how he came back that same day, with lots of love and joy, and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Our Marriage is now stronger than how it was before, All thanks to DR Charles. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that DR Charles is a real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your ex back or you are wanting your spouse back after separation then, contact this powerful man of god DR Charles now.WhatsApp) +234811 068 8272)
Email ([email protected]).

1 Like

If you want to get married tell him that. Have a serious talk with him about it. At this point he probably seeā€™s no reason to get married cause you already live together and have kids. Does he not want the final commitment of a marriage?

You can be committed without getting married.
Legally itā€™s a convenient thing to have though

6 Likes

Itā€™s been 9 years. Why the ring? You already giving him everything he wants

4 Likes

Clearly ur partner isnā€™t there for some reason talk need happen ,if u work out his issues , u ask him

If he ainā€™t ready after 8 years, he has no intention of getting married.

15 Likes

Yeah I feel like heā€™s too grown to be giving out promise rings :sob: you have a whole family. a promise ring seems more high school to me idk

11 Likes

So my spouse and I have 2 daughters, been together 16 years with no plan of getting married. Neither of us want a piece of paper. We have each other, we bought our very first house 3 years ago, in both our names. Have a joint account and everything like a married couple. We are happy with it. He has given me 2 rings over this course, not promise rings. He did it because he wanted too and it was a big step for him too. Not everything has to be on paper. But I would talk to him, for the soul fact it was in your conversation about the future and heā€™s not going forward with it. That is concerning.

1 Like

Just because you want to get married doesnā€™t mean he doesā€¦ talk with him and ask him what his feeling about the situation is and tell him you want more, if he doesnā€™t want to get married you may have to be happy with how it is.

You both have to ready for marriage you are not wrong for feeling the way you do but you canā€™t be mad at him for not being ready to get married. It took me 8 years to be ready to marry my husband. We were already living together but for me marriage was a big step. I am happy my husband was patient with me and waited until I told him I was finally ready.

1 Like

Think about why the marriage itself is so important and then have the discussion with your SO to see if he thinks itā€™s as important as you do and why you two may not see eye to eye

1 Like

He obviously does not. So leave

2 Likes

Check with an attorney - common-law marriage ???

1 Like

Shouldve been an engagement ring to be honestā€¦ You arenā€™t wrong in feeling that way especially if you want to get married.
My parents got engaged when I was 7. Im now 30 and they have just gotten engaged againā€¦ Idk, i expected a wedding but

3 Likes

Seems like you need new partner, or someone who actually will commit. After 9 years and two kids. Nothing seems like it will be more.

2 Likes

A promise ring lmao thatā€™s for junior high. He needs to man up and marry you.

6 Likes

Youā€™ll never be good enoughā€¦ he doesnā€™t want to be married to you

3 Likes

Agree thatā€™s a cheap shot , sorry

He doesnā€™t want to marry you.

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t sound like he wants to get married.

Does he help with the kids? Does he have a job? Does he love you respect you generally care about and the kids? If so itā€™s been 8 plus years to be that a Commitment

You donā€™t need a legal piece of paper stating you love one another!

2 Likes

If he treats you good and you love him, donā€™t force him or give him an ultimatum. Iā€™ve seen many miserable men forced into marriage. If you didnā€™t have so much invested Iā€™d tell you to walk away but why break up a happy home and put your kids through all that trauma? I firmly do not believe that marriage is just a piece of paper thatā€™s why I donā€™t feel someone should be pressured into it.

2 Likes

Promise rings are for junior highā€¦ not adults.

Thing is, youā€™re already living like youā€™re married.

In the nicest way possible you need ask what it is he was promising on Christmas that he wasnā€™t already promising the last 9 yrs. Make him explain the stupidity.

17 Likes

He donā€™t wanna be married.

Sounds like heā€™s already married :joy:

I personally think promise rings are childish. I.e. for high school/college students. But to each their own. I would have to agree with you though

10 Likes

Sounds like heā€™s pretty content with u just being a girlfriend that he just has kids with and lives with

3 Likes

Definitely at a point and level not to have been giving a promise ring.

2 Likes

Maybe he doesnā€™t want to marry you yet, maybe he ainā€™t ready! Donā€™t force him to do something he doesnā€™t want to do

1 Like

I know men donā€™t think or plan like us women do, which is why they really need to talk to their sisters/our sisters/female cousins/aunts/moms/whotheFever before doing any ring shopping!!! IMO, he should have purchased it sooner to have it sized in time to give it to you as a Christmas giftā€¦or had it sized in time for Valentines Day. Take the ring to the retailer tomorrow, should take a week for them to size it. A promise ring is a promise that the engagement ring is coming. Whether itā€™s a stackable set and the engagement ring and wedding band will all be worn together with it/he is waiting for a financial deal to close/the perfect moment (an upcoming trip/visit from relatives that live long distance/your anniversary ect) you donā€™t really know what he is up to. If nothing has happened by the 10 year mark I would ask him to sit down and talk about the future with you. If he is not ready ask him how he feels about you legally changing your last name to his so that you can have the same last name as your kids before they realize the difference and what it means. That may nudge him towards marriage quickly.

Everyone here should Google the purpose of promise rings because youā€™re all misā€¦misā€¦mistaken/misconstrued/misinformed/miserable and giving the wrong information about promise rings.

Good luck to the OP

1 Like

You are not wrong, promise rings are for kids who are still at school,you guys are parentā€™s and by now he is supposed to know whether he wants to marry you or not šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

9 Likes

Going to have to take what you got from this guyā€¦ cause he isnā€™t offering any more then what you haveā€¦a lick and a promiseā€¦

1 Like

He may have a different idea of a long term relationship. Maybe yā€™all should discuss what that looks like to your both? It took my cousin 9 years to marry her SO and it seems to be worth it for them. šŸ¤·šŸ»

Girl you better give him a promise meal, a promise fuck, and some promise head lol thatā€™s crazyā€¦ is he missing some screws??

Itā€™s the 21st century :woman_facepalming: 90% of couples i know i have been living together, have had kids together for 6/7 plus years, and arenā€™t married.
Itā€™s not what it used to be anymore.
If heā€™s stayed with you an been faithful and a decent guy for all this time. Why should it even matter :woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

9 years in and he gives you a promise ring? That man has no intention on marrying you.

10 Likes