Am I wrong for feeling upset my boyfriends kids forgot my birthday?

They are 8 and 12… I wouldn’t expect my own kids to remember my birthday without reminding, let alone some dude’s kids that I am dating.

3 Likes

First they are kids. Second you have been with their dad for less than 2 years. CHILL! I could understand if they were a bit older and youve been with their father a significant time, but that isnt the case. Slow your roll. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Honestly I’d be more upset with the boyfriend for not involving the kids in something for your birthday.
I would see that as his responsibility to get the kids involved for the other parents birthday. I was upset with my kids father for the same thing, not because I cared about it for me but I want my kids to know we acknowledge birthdays. Especially with his family being jehovah witnesses and not celebrating them.

2 Likes

The only way my household remembers anything important… is if its marked & highlighted on the fridge door calender…
There was 1 year I walked around with a party hat on til mid afternoon before someone clicked…:sweat_smile:
-but i do think it was alittle rude of him not to try remind the kids of your birthday and see if they wanted in on making you something special…

They’re kids. Get over it.

2 Likes

My partner is NOT my kids dad and has just bought me towers and cards from them as their dad WONT step up

They’re just kids, you can’t expect them to have money to get you anything or arrange anything with out your boyfriend setting it up for them.

I have to remind my own kids and my significant other when my birthday otherwise they don’t remember

Sometimes I forget my own birthday :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Sounds like a whole family that doesn’t care about kindness or respect. I will run from them all boy friend too !!! They will just pull your life down, you deserve a better life and happiness. Move on :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

They are kids…do you really need internet strangers to tell you how ridiculous you sound?

1 Like

Most moms are like u guys are getting birthday stuff still ?:eyes::laughing:

3 Likes

I’d be sad as well. I think the bigger issue is how he completely invalidated your feelings. It could have been a learning opportunity for sure but he basically said …oh well :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

You really think kids keep track of birthdays :thinking: especially after a year? The only birthday they are concerned with is their own. What did you really expect from an 8 and 12 year old, they don’t have jobs to go all out or anything.

1 Like

They made a point not to say happy birthday? How did they do that?

They’re CHILDREN! My kid doesn’t know when anyones birthday is - even his own!

3 Likes

The problem isn’t the kids, it’s the boyfriend. It was 100% on him to let them know and do something special. That’s not going to get better, he’s teaching them to suck with his attitude and lack of respect or appreciation. Don’t blame them. You’ll either have to accept it, or find someone better (shouldn’t be too hard)

2 Likes

They are children…they don’t know any better…sometimes adults can forget as well…

How do you expect children to remember dates ? They’d forget Christmas if they weren’t constantly reminded :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Disrespected??? Really??? :joy: Hahahahaha

3 Likes

You can’t let it bother you. Yes, it would have been nice for them to say Happy Birthday. Do they live with you? Did they even know it was your birthday? They are kids.

Did you verbally mention your birthday was coming up?
“My birthday is tomorrow, I’ll be turning —”.

1 Like

Yes. You’re wrong.
They’re tiny children who barely have any thoughts in this world and you’ve been around for only 1.5 years.
Quit it.

2 Likes

They are children, let them be children, and not have to remember, and do grown up things!!..It a birthday, you are an adult, if anything your bf is in the wrong for not reminding them that it is your birthday!!

Kids that age don’t care about literally anything. My younger siblings that age won’t even hold their baby nephew, let alone remember or care for a birthday that isn’t theirs.
I personally would not be offended.

1 of many birthdays to come,
i think u need to chill and it definitely wasnt worth the heated argument u had.
i hope its not a glimps of whats to come for your relationship becuase,its been less than 2 years and thats upset you ?

1 Like

They’re 8 & 12. I didn’t start remembering birthdays until I was an adult. & even now at 38 I still couldn’t tell u my mom or dads birthday (I know the month for my dad cuz it’s the same as mine n one of my kids). I know my kids & my husbands & my brother that’s about it. I would let it go, they’re children. They don’t owe u anything & I’m positive they didn’t do it to be hurtful or spiteful. & especially a year in a half is not enough time to remember that kind of thing. They probably don’t even know their own parents or anyone’s but their own, if they even remember that. Definitely over reacting.

3 Likes

Kids won’t always remember. I have 2 older, 17 and 13 and didn’t get a Happy Birthday from either of them on my birthday. It’s stings a bit but then you get over it. Your bf should have told them or reminded them. Don’t stress!

1 Like

It stinks but they’re kids.

They’re children??? I guess I’m confused did you even tell them it was or you just have too high expectations for babies

1 Like

It would have been just kindness if your bf would have reminded the kiddos that it was your birthday and to say Happy Birthday to you omg

5 Likes

I hope your boyfriend made you feel special.

Does this woman have kids of her own? Does she understand how kids work? :thinking:

5 Likes

If something this little upsets you then know you’ve got a lot of heart ache coming when you become a parent. It’s not for the weak or faint of heart so my suggestion for you is to get thicker skin.

1 Like

Some kids can barely remember what they ate for breakfast, let alone remember someone else’s birthday. Especially when you have only been in their life for 1 of your birthdays, don’t take it personally.

1 Like

As a kid I didn’t remember anyones birthday but mine… hell my kids don’t even know mine! But no matter what I go above & beyond. My birthday will be this Saturday & I‘ll be taking my kids to the movies to see their favorite superhero & they have no idea. I’m more excited to see their reaction than anyone celebrating my birthday. :woman_shrugging: when my husband came into the picture he was not big on birthdays but he saw how I went all out & over time he got on board. Try making a countdown put it on calendars & show them how you like to celebrate. By the way happy belated birthday!

Get a life. They are not your kids. Stop complaining. :raised_hand:

3 Likes

They’re kids. I barely remembered birthdays at their ages. :woman_shrugging:

They’re kids??? I ONLY remembered my step moms birthday because it was the day after my dads birthday. I ONLY remember my step dads because it’s right after New Years :joy: and that was once I was an adult! :joy: it’s not theirs responsibility to remember that. Come on.

Um…so really they have only been with you for this birthday and didn’t really know you well last birthday. They are kids it’s up to dad to to make sure he says something to remind them. I would relax too soon. To expect all that after a year and a half when I also assume they don’t live full time with dad.

1 Like

The only birthdays I only seem to remember are my friends

They are kids my own kids don’t even remember my Birthday

1 Like

Ma’am you’re not their mother first off and secondly you’re just another female that their dad is with in this moment. However, the fact that you stated you go out of your way to make them feel loved and cared for because their moms ain’t shit is irrelevant because any women who really truly cares for the kids wouldn’t try to prove that point. Either you love them because you want to love them or they’ve figured you out and realized that your show of love is only for recognition. The only person that’s supposed to recognize or show love to you is their dad because he’s the one courting you not them so if he didn’t acknowledge you then y’all need to have that discussion but leave the kids out of it

Same thing happened to me. :disappointed: so I understand the situation and I was made out to be the bad guy because I said something, not a good feeling on your birthday.
How hard would it have been for the boyfriend to just say hey remember to tell ——— Happy Birthday.

I’m sorry your boyfriend didn’t make an effort to make your birthday special, to include telling the children. Once notified of birthdays kids usually like to get into the swing of the celebration, ice cream, cake, presents etc. But at 8 and 12, I wouldn’t have expected them to remember on their own. Your boyfriend isn’t very thoughtful. You’ll have to train the kids to make special days special.

1 Like

They’re kids, so try to not take offense. Them remembering something, even if it is important, does not define their love for you. They do probably appreciate you, and love you. But, they are still young.

Hell, my brother NEVER remembers my dad and moms birthday. && they’ve always been his parents lol. He’s almost 26, and will probably never remember unless I say something.

Your boyfriend should have said something to them about it beforehand, like “hey, her birthday is tomorrow. Do you guys want to go to the store and get something for her? Or do you want to get a card or make a card.”

Your feelings are valid tho, so don’t listen to everyone saying “grow up.” It’s rude, and uncalled for.

I have a step son I raised since he was 5 he is 24 unless he is reminded he don’t say anything our kids too :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve been with my man for 3 years now and i forget his birthday i don’t expect his daughter to remember mine lol my daughter is 12 and thinks I’m 28 with no birthday girl i don’t age even though my bday was two weeks ago girl come on

1 Like

My own kids don’t know it’s my birthday unless my husband tells them. If anyrhing be angry at him for not doing something special with them for you. Whether a gift or dinner or whatever. They’re children and not responsible to make you feel happy, loved amd validated on your bday.

3 Likes

My kid forgets his own birthday. I don’t expect him to remember mine. Did your bf do anything to celebrate your birthday?

1 Like

I don’t like the backhanded their Mom’s aren’t great…… And furthermore we are talking about CHILDREN 8 & 12 year old children!!! Get a grip and leave them babies alone! :face_with_monocle::roll_eyes::rage:

2 Likes

I have 5 kids, ages 9 to 17. They’ve made every birthday of mine special for me. They get more excited over my birthday than I do. Those saying kids don’t care about birthdays or can’t remember birthdays arent giving kids enough credit.

That being said, do your boyfriends kids see you a lot? Did they know it was was your birthday? Did he celebrate it with you? We’re his kids around for your birthday?

I personally need more details to be able to give a fair opinion.

2 Likes

You’re entitled to feel hurt, but disrespected is a little dramatic. They’re kids and you’re only their dad’s girlfriend.

1 Like

Hear me out- they come from mothers who don’t care about them. They probably haven’t had enough recognition of their own birthdays throughout their lives to realize that is should be acknowledged. If their mothers are absent, they likely are the type that go out and party on their own birthdays vs spending time with family. Model the behavior to them that you want to see from them. Teach them the important things. Don’t get frustrated with the behaviors they currently exhibit, it’s all they have known for a while.

3 Likes

Lmao I barely remember my husband’s birthday and we’ve been together for a decade, chill out

I birthed 4 and the only reason they know ANY birthday besides their own is because I put them on a calendar that is centrally located in our house. And even that is a crap shoot on whether they pay attention.

I think ur making trying to make something out of nothing.u guys have only been together a little over a year its not like its been years and ur saying u step-up because the mothers aren’t great well if u want to be with the man it’s part of ur responsibility to step up because ur taking the whole package.but they are young kids that just want to hang out and have fun with their friends the last think on their mind is their dad’s girlfriends birthday.

1 Like

They are 8 and 12. They don’t remember to brush their teeth much less a date of someone’s birthday other than their own. I take it you don’t have children… they are turds honey, and the sooner you figure that out the less you’ll worry about your feelings. Bless.

1 Like

You feel disrespected because kids didn’t say happy birthday to you?

1 Like

Wait, did he tell you happy birthday? Is your birthday marked on a calendar? My 7 and 10 year old girls would have been super excited, all I am saying.

1 Like

My kids are 8 and 10 and their grandfather’s birthday was yesterday. Well I got them to call him and my daughter gave the phone to my son and the first thing that came out if his mouth was “Hello, who is this?” After I had told them to tell papa happy birthday. They’re little kids. They really don’t give a crap about adults on their birthdays. I wouldn’t take it personally

Some people and families don’t look at holidays or special days the same.

2 Likes

Let the see how it feels when it they birthday two can play the game

Stop stepping up in places you shouldn’t be. Learn to manage your expectations.

2 Likes

That’s not how kids work. The only way they’d be saying HB, is if their dad reminded them to do so, like, two minutes before saying it to you.
If you ever have your own kids, you’re in for a rude awakening. :woozy_face::sweat_smile:

They’re 8 and 12? My kids only know it’s my birthday cause I keep reminding them lol, it’s not their jobs at that age to remember birthdays like that, they’re children…

5 Likes

Get over it, they’re kids.
A lot of adults forget important dates.

3 Likes

The bf should have taken them to pick out a card or gift to have given to her . She deserves appreciation and respect . I’m sure she would have done the same if it was his Birthday.

5 Likes

You can’t control your feelings, but you really shouldn’t be mad at the kids… they’re kids. They probably didn’t even realize it was your birthday! Yes, even if they “knew”; they probably didn’t “know”… ya know? I would be mad at the boyfriend for his response! He should have told them it was your birthday & taken them to buy you a card or gift!

1. a year & a half isn’t a long time. they barely know you.
  2. they’re KIDS. maybe their father should have made more of an effort for your birthday.
  3. grow up.
3 Likes

Your bf should have made it a big deal for your birthday and they would have followed. Be upset with him!

Sounds like he is the issue, These types of things don’t go away and they don’t get better. If this is how you love to be treated and stay, but if you don’t and you want someone to put you first because this guy can’t then you need to find someone else to date

2 Likes

Its should be directed at your bf, not his kids. They are 8 & 12.

2 Likes

My kids never remember my birthday. It’s normal.

Not the kids fault. Your boyfriend should have told them and planned something. Had them write a card or sing happy Birthday. By the way, Happy Birthday. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Oh my lord. My own kids forget my birthday if I don’t make a production of it. You’ve only been there for 18 months. Instead of trying to place yourself on a pedstal, use your birthday as an excuse to take bfs kids somewhere they would enjoy, they might remember next year.

They will follow in his footsteps. If they see him wishing you a happy birthday and spoiling you then they may see an importance but if he don’t care than neither will they. My husband is 28 and still doesn’t remember his parents birthdays. I don’t think I would take it all too harshly

1 Like

I would learn to lower your expectations as it often leads to disappointment!

On another note, Happy belated Birthday! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Ur feelings of hurt r valid but I would direct that at Dad, not the kids. My own children would forget if Dad didnt make it a point to remind them (and teach them that showing appreciation for people is whats expected of them) kids dont naturally do these things. Its our job to teach them.

3 Likes

My own biological children do not know my birthday and they’re 9 and 7. Like the one lady said above half the time they don’t even remember to brush their own teeth. Don’t sweat the small stuff. I hardly doubt they did it to be disrespectful.

My God they are 8 and 12. Your bf should of been planning

1 Like

My kids don’t know my birthday until someone tells them (thankfully my husband reminds them the night before and the next morning) so in my opinion, it’s on your boyfriend for not bringing it to their attention. They’re kids. They forget everything. They aren’t going to remember their dads girlfriends birthday after only a year and a half. You have no right to be mad or upset with the kids. Maybe your boyfriend but for sure not the kids.

1 Like

My own child forgot my birthday and he’s 12. It happens but not enough for you to feel that way, they are kids. Maybe when their older fine but that whole expectation part yea your doing too much.

I wouldn’t expect kids that age to know, but your man shouldve told them to say happy birthday, and a card from them wouldn’t of hurt. This is much more than the kids not saying happy birthday, there’s something deeper here. He doesn’t seem to care xx

1 Like

Your boyfriend should have maybe said " hey y’all today is her birthday, don’t forget to wish her a happy birthday" my opinion. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

2 Likes

Part of me wants too say that kids do that However your boyfriends reaction surprises me a bit. I don’t know anything about your relationship by any means but make sure you aren’t just there as a fill in mother/housekeeper/babysitter…you get the idea.

2 Likes

They are kids the bf should have took them aside said something and planed to do something for you with them but it is not the kids fault they are only kids

2 Likes

Maybe they don’t know dates or your boyfriend didn’t tell them?

Don’t be too hard on the kids. They’re 12 and 8. My kids don’t remember to tell me happy birthday unless they’re prompted by someone else.

2 Likes

Take it up with your bf. HE SHOULD have had them make you a card or get you a little something from them. :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post:
They are an entension of him and his feelings. Word of advice…Don’t do wifey duties on girlfriend pay!!!

2 Likes

I think the 8 year old is still a little young but if the 12 year old new yesterday was your birthday than they could of called you, I also think your boyfriend should of called them if they don’t live with him and reminded them to call you to wish you a happy birthday. As someone stated above people don’t look at holidays or birthdays the same anymore and treat it just as another day which is so sad how so many children are being brought up these days.

It’s ok. My family forgot my birthday too!

They’re 8 and 12. They aren’t worried about your birthday

1 Like

I would think your boyfriend should organise something with them gor you, they probably are a bit young to sort things themselves . It’s 100% hid job

Happy belated birthday btw cause I’m sure you actually posted this damn near a week ago lol

I forgot my own birthday…

4 Likes

They are children. They probably don’t even have their best friends birthdays memorized. And you have only been in their lives a year and a half.

Also, your BF could have initiated it with them. When I got with my now husband, I had a daughter prior to him. She was 3 when we started dating. When his birthday rolled around I made it a point to have her help me pick out gifts and cards for him. He could have done that with them.

1 Like

Dude just recently my oldest actually remembered my birthday. This kid I brought into this world…so yeah. Calm down and move on. As long as your bf remembered be happy

2 Likes

Some kids just actually forget, especially young ones. My boyfriend has a son from a previous marriage (10) and I have a son from a previous relationship (7). My son had just turned 2 when my boyfriend and I started dating and he’s the only daddy figure my son has ever known (the other half of my sons dna never wanted to be around my son and only saw him once when he was 3 weeks old). My boyfriends son occasionally remembers his birthday, but both his son and my own son never remember mine without someone mentioning it, my son forgets everyone’s birthday including his own half the time.
It never bothers me though, I don’t really celebrate my birthday, it’s just another day to me. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

They’re children. Unless it’s marked on a calendar or we mention it my daughter doesn’t remember our birthdays and she’s almost 12. I feel your reaction is extreme and you’ve only been with their dad a year and a half. It’s not like you’ve been there for years.

3 Likes

My own child who’s almost 10 wouldn’t remember a birthday if I reminded him 10 times … do I care no cuz he’s a kid lol

2 Likes

Their dad should’ve included them in doing something for you. You can not be mad at kids that age that’s not their responsibility. My kids don’t buy me things for my birthday but my sister always gets them to get a gift for me and she buys it. You should only be upset with your man. If he didn’t show his appreciation for what u do for his kids then that’s on him. But don’t be mad at the kids.

3 Likes