Am I wrong for not giving my ex our daughters social?

You don’t have to give it to him, just keep in mind he is her father and all it will talk is a trip to the local social security office to get the information. It’s just as easy to get a birth certificate, if he wants it bad enough he will get it.

1 Like

If you give it to him for assistance they could come after you for child support and its fraud if u have ur child

2 Likes

You need to file for child support from your daughter’s father. Your daughter is entitled to it!! You also better get COURT ORDERED visitation and custody agreement in place STAT. This situation could turn ugly really fast. Once all the legalities are in place, then you will be ordered to provide him the child’s s.s.#, birth certificate, etc as he will be entitled to it for filing income tax purposes (you and he will most likely be ordered to alternate every other year to claim child as a dependent).

Side note: if you do have to file for any government assistance, they will go after him for child support and you’ll have to comply with this or you may not be granted any assistance.

DONT DO IT! In my state, if a parent gets government assistance they automatically go after the other parent for child support. If he is gonna claim he has them most the time, you will get served with cs. That doesn’t seem very fair since you are providing most of the care. He can apply on his own if he needs the help that badly.

1 Like

Do not give it to him. He can use it for taxes and if she doesn’t live with him he can’t claim her for public assistance

Please dont do this. I worked with a woman who did give her ex their sons ssn. When he turned 18 and was applying for college he found out his father used it to open credit cards, apply for loans and basically at 18 he was in big trouble. They had to pay big buck to try to.get this straight. Protect her.

1 Like

No way! Absolutely not!

Well put him on support. As for the SS card it’s free and pretty easy to get one. Not sure why he doesn’t just get his own if he needs one.

No no do not give it to him your going to need the support

I wouldn’t recommend doing it.

If he helps in NO ways, except visitation, then NO do not give it to him and there should be No questions asked on his part. You need the extra money to support your child.

i wouldnt give it to him.

Do. Not. Do. That!
Also of you do file for Food Stamps you will have to put him on Child Support.
If he is NOT supporting the child he should not be able to claim her. And he can literally do anything with her social including filing her on his taxes. If he doesn’t have to support her financially he should be able to get on his own feet easier than you.
Also try to apply for Medicaid/CHIP for your daughter. It would help you out tons.

He can claim her on his taxes also

Don’t do it. Protect her SIN at all costs!

Nope don’t do it. If he’s not supporting her than he doesn’t need support for her. Especially from the government. You are being nice already not asking for a financial contribution from him. Don’t allow him to get off any easier than that. And as you said if you need it you can’t file for it. Also one of the questions on the tax forms is about government assistance and the government can see that he gets government assistance for her and you claim her on your taxes and you could both get in trouble. Don’t let him drag you down with him

1 Like

Um no. He only has her on the weekends, he can’t get foodstamps for her. Letting him, can possibly come back to bite you. Especially if you need it in the future.

Hell no you are actually going to need the money he just wants another free meal ticket in life, he hasn’t had to pay for your child and your aware of his daily lifestyle which clearly shows he can afford to pay child support he’s eating takeaways partying and buying video games meanwhile youve barly got money for fuel, also you have literally just listed a bunch of problems giving him her number will cause, problems you don’t currently have or want when your about to have a new born, time for you to file for child support and him to grow up.

Absolutely do not give him any information period pertaining to your child until court ordered and if he really wants it he can go file for those things himself he can pay to get a copy of birth certificate and he can jump through all the hoops of getting a social but do not give to him and file your taxes asap so he can not it will flag him if he tries

2 Likes

Don’t give him anything help yourself and your family

1 Like

In your situation, I wouldn’t give it to him. If you handle all of that, there is no reason he needs it.

He’s wanting to file for tax time so he can claim her

3 Likes

Do not give it to him he is claiming her you are going to end up in court for welfare fraud

1 Like

In my state if one parent applies for assistance, child support is automatically filed.

2 Likes

If he wants the info so bad he can get his ass to the town hall and get her birth certificate… From there he can get her ss#.
I’d be more worried about him pulling some crap and trying to claim her on his taxes.

Due to his reasoning, I would not give it to him because he is most likely going to try to claim her on his application to boost his assistance. This will prevent you from claiming her and is also fraudulent because you are providing the majority of her care. Something to be aware of, when you go to get assistance, they may go after him for child support whether you want them to or not. Many states automatically file for support when the custodial parent requests assistance such as food stamps, cash assistance, housing, etc.

Start asking for child support from him. Then you can rethink the issue. If he can afford the frivolous stuff, he can afford support. Don’t let him have her #

Hes doing it to help himself. Do not give it to him

Do not give him anything you are the one who provides all of the child’s needs it’s not your responsibility to take care of him also don’t feel bad take care of your own stuff

File your taxes before you give them to him, I started reading this and that’s the first thing that popped in my brain… He’s gonna file first

4 Likes

And can’t he obtain his own copy if he goes to the hall of records

And claim EIC and Child Tax Credit! Babies are big money at tax time!

My ex tried that excuse too. But he never once has taken our kids. Few weeks later he told me he had a great way to make some fast cash and would split it with me. He needed the social numbers for the child tax credit and he would put the numbers on his friends taxes (since my ex doesn’t even work and can’t file.) So yeah… don’t send it over. He can’t do anything with it if she’s not with him 50% of the time or more. Sounds shady to me.

I’m wondering why you’re posting this here instead of speaking with a family lawyer. If he has money for extras, he has money to pick up his child for visitation, as well as paying you support. It sounds like you should be worried about more than his having her SS#. Good luck.

1 Like

No way!!! You have already given him enough of a break as it is; if he has enough free time to do all those extras why can’t he get a part time job to get get more funds to cover his costs? Why should his first thought go straight to government assistance and using your daughters information like that.
You need the help more.
Think of it like this. If this wasn’t your post and you were reading it. What kind of advice would you give that person?
I too am a single Mom of 2. I get zero help from my ex, who is ordered to pay support but doesn’t. He’s supposed to call weekly and has visitation bi-weekly and doesn’t. If he asked for that information for any reason - I’d tell him where he could “spin-it”. My ex supposedly works 2 jobs but hasn’t filed a tax return since 2016 just so his children couldn’t get the support their entitled too…

1 Like

take him to court for support.

He doesn’t need them. He is just trying to screw you and the system over.

2 Likes

If you give those to him, he files for the assistance, they can make you pay them back. In WV, the DHHR can make the other parent pay back the assistance that is received for the child once it gets so high.

Not at all. Sounds like he is trying to claim her for the extra food stamps, which you may need and would probably qualify for while on maternity leave. Since he doesn’t pay support, you don’t owe him anything. If he applied for stamps with her on his case, they may come after you for child support. Sound s like a hot mess in the making, let alone fraud.

1 Like

If he has her number he can claim her on taxes if he files before you.

Dont do it probably wants try and claim child taxes and if u have custody it might screw u

Give him copies of nothing. He can’t even go pick her up and he wants to use her to file for assistance. Big nope. He only has weekend visits anyway and he would be committing fraud.

1 Like

Yep he gonna file taxes you better get on that real quick

2 Likes

He DOSEN’T need your daughter’s ss UNLESS he’s paying child support to apply for assistance! He dosen’t support her financially in ANY way so hes NOT ENTITLED to claim Taxes on her and I would GUARANTEE that’s what he wants it for!

1 Like

Ummm if your daughter is with YOU then hell no he shouldn’t apply for anything at all. That is fraud and wrong altogether.

2 Likes

I’m intrigued because I’m currently going through a similar thing.

You handle all the things pertaining to your daughter. Since you have primary custody & he only has weekend visitation, he should be either splitting the expenses with you equally, or he should be paying you child support. (Somehow it took me 4 years to see this, I finally did in Nov & I’m so glad I did). Our son is 4 & daughter is 3… he’s never helped me.

My advice:

• seek the help of a family/divorce attorney who has knowledge in child support laws in your area.
  • get custody & child support orders in writing. And ALWAYS keep a copy with you and/or on your phone
  • do not give him their social security numbers. Unless it is in the custody or child support order which states that both parents must have a copy of their SS card & birth certificate, you do not legally have to give this info to him - at least in Pennsylvania.
  • keep track of your expenses: always get a receipt for childcare tuition, receipts for food, clothes, hospital/dr/dentist bills and document everything. It really was helpful for me in this situation.

This is a tough one. I went through it just a few months ago. And he’s still arguing about it. Good luck!

1 Like

Don’t give it to him, I guarantee you he’s going to claim her on taxes.

2 Likes

Do not give it to him.
#1 as you said it’s fraud
#2 if you provide info to assist in the fraud you’re just as guilty as he is.
#3 as the legal father he has right to it. He can get copies of her documents including SS#. If he wants it that bad you can’t stop him. But you will not be guilty of fraud.

File for child support. A child’s needs doesn’t wait for the parent to be able to afford them or to grow up. He should be supporting your child.

File your taxes ASAP. The timing of this request is suspect. If he gets hold of her SS# he’s going to claim her in his taxes. Not only will he get your daughter’s refund, he’ll get any future stimulus or child benefits that president biden is trying to get approved for 2021. Don’t let him use your daughter for profit.

Also take him to court to revise visitation. Transportation for his visits shouldn’t be in when he’s not doing anything financially for your daughter. Change it so he’s 100% responsible for transportation on his weekends. He can use a cab, public transportation, rent a car or give you gas money. You’ve been too nice. Stop enabling him. He’s just using you & your daughter.

Oh yeah file for assistance asap. Even if you don’t qualify it’ll flag her name & SS# if he tries. Then he’ll have to prove custody.

2 Likes

If he uses her to file for assistance they will come after you for child support, don’t do it

3 Likes

As her parent, he could get the document himself unless something has been filed where he doesn’t legally have access. However, if you go to file for assistance it could take longer on your case as they investigate who actually receives the aid with the right to claim your daughter. My ex had to go back to court, all four boys were without medical coverage, and both families got cut off from funds until the judge ruled who claimed which child.

If he’s on her birth certificate he can just go to the social security administration and get it himself. If you suspect anything sinister going on like him trying to claim her on taxes etc be vigilant

That is welfare fraud. If you give him the number and allow him to do it you are committing fraud as well. Are you willing to get into serious trouble and possibly get a criminal record so he can collect a little cash and food stamps? Don’t do it!

Personally i think he’s gonna file his taxes and claim her. Do not give him any information. He doesn’t deserve it.

1 Like

Do not give any of info to him he needs to get up on feet and not use his daughter period .
Do not give anything to him about her period

1 Like

He cannot use her for food stamps or any state assistance if she doesn’t live with him or he doesn’t have her more frequently. It is fraud. And I’m almost betting he wants her ss to try to claim her on taxes.

3 Likes

Woah, I would not give him the documents and I would refile for child support. It’s one thing to help someone and another to be a doormat. He is using your kindness and needs to grow up.

1 Like

Fraud is STILL fraud

1 Like

No yur not bein selfish! Do Not give it.2 him! He can claim her on his taxes and use it 4 other things 2. She is supposed 2 b Living in his household 2 get snap benefits for her.if he gets them 4 her and him if u ever need them u couldnt get any for her!

2 Likes

All he has to do is go apply for a new one. Toue signature isnt needed

1 Like

Hes also entitled to the same rights you are.

1 Like

If he can afford random crap, he doesn’t need that information unless he’s planning on claiming her on his tax. He can obviously afford child support too so best claim that. Good luck :smiley:

2 Likes

Nope do not give it to him!

2 Likes

Nope you have to have a child a full 6 months

2 Likes

He is going to claim her on his taxes to get more money. Don’t do it.

7 Likes

And stop going to give him her if he doesn’t have a car that’s not your responsibility

4 Likes

He trying to claim her on taxes girl

7 Likes

Do not give it to him… the state will then go after you for child support… its so nice of you to not go after him but don’t let him bury you mama!

5 Likes

He wants it for taxes would be my guess :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

No he’ll claim her same thing my daughters father did. I had him arrested he was down in Florida. Didnt pay support so no never give it to him

3 Likes

Do not give it to him! He’s probably trying to file her for taxes. He can get foodstamps on himself

1 Like

I wouldn’t do it. In the state of CA if he files for assistance the other parent would be put in child support. I had the same issue with my ex. I told him, he wasn’t helping out financially and I was not getting put on child support. He can still apply for assistance for himself.

2 Likes

NO. He just asked for it? Right before tax time? Um big no. If you file for assistance, the state will go after him for child support. If he claims your daughter on his assistance, and then you claim her at tax time, it will be seen and you or him will have to pay back that assistance, causing more issues. So NO.

6 Likes

No. I don’t blame you at all

1 Like

If he is willing to do that to get food stamps he will more than likely use her social for taxes. DONT DO IT if you want to be able to claim her. You have her the majority of the time you need that money for her, he can get food stamps by himself without claiming her on them which you said you know is fraud. Do what your gut is telling you and don’t give him the number. Look out for your daughter

3 Likes

DO NOT GIVE THAT TO HIM. He does not need that to get assistance, she does not live with him.

Dont give it to him and call for legal advice if you need to.

1 Like

Whatever you do, file your taxes first :upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

It’s his kid, I mean I would believe he has a right to her social, regardless of the situation.

1 Like

Do not give it to him. He can use it to claim her on taxes then you won’t be able to. Do not give it to him.he doesn’t need it and she doesn’t live with him .

2 Likes

Regardless he is the father of that child and has rights to all documents, if you don’t give it to him he can still get it

Don’t give him anything…

That’s a big no from me. He could try and use her SSN to apply for other stuff and act like he has her there 24/7

4 Likes

You’re the primary her doesn’t need her social for his benefit.

2 Likes

Be careful that he isn’t going to use her social to open accounts and ruin her future credit.

5 Likes

Oh nooooo. Do not do it. Hes trying to claim her on his taxes and absolutely screw you. My ex tried this… made up some story about his dad wanting the kids socials to put them on his life insurance… right after W2s were sent out :thinking: I laughed and asked him exactly how dumb he thought I was.

6 Likes

Don’t do it just keep being you

Think he wanting to claim her on his taxes this year don’t do it

5 Likes

Don’t do it. Just in case you get held accountable for not reporting him if he gets caught.

File for support or some type of court legalized monetary relationship. THEN provide the documentation?

If she doesn’t live there full-time he can’t add her to his stuff . And also I’m sure it is so he can claim her on his taxes if he recently asked. Her school and doctor records would have to say his address

1 Like

No why on earth would you think that he needs the support and help more than your family :disappointed: really screw him

Fraud is fraud dont government it to him.

Fuck that
Dont give it to him
Thats fraud, like you said
Plus then if you end up needing to file its gonna be a whole hullabulloo to claim your child because you have to get like an official custody agreement that states you are the residential parent (at least thats how it is in ohio)

I would not give it to him

No no no sounds like he’s up to something

No way he could have the potential to ruin her credit I know someone victimized by this he doesn’t need it for his he wants to add her to get more.

Absolutely no mama =(

If he does that DSS will come after you for child support.

Dont give it him if you do and he file you have to pay that back o pay him childsupport

DON’T DO IT AND PLEASE GO FILE FOR CHILD SUPPORT. You probably won’t get it but it will be a record of it. The money he’s spending so frivolously can be going towards child support. He needs to GROW UP and please stop making excuses for him.

2 Likes