Am I wrong for not giving my ex our daughters social?

You need to first file for child support. Even if he may not be working and receiving a paycheck from an employer it needs to be on file. Also how is he getting the money to go out bowling and other fun activities. Can you prove he may be getting cash on the side? Also in my court order my ex-husband is responsible to come to get our son. Whether or not he has a car it’s his responsibility.

2 Likes

Make sure he’s not trying to claim her on his taxes to get more money. It happened to my friend and since they filed before her they got the extra money.

3 Likes

Do not give it to him.

I was thinking he was probably asking for tax reasons as well :arrow_up::arrow_up:

1 Like

Tell him you’re already using her for benefits so he wouldn’t be allowed to… then it qill.come out if there’s another reason he wants it or not.

5 Likes

He’s made it clear why he want her information. Which is illegal. I wouldn’t give any of that information to him.

1 Like

Do not give it to him

You don’t need your childs social to get food stamps…

4 Likes

Don’t…1.They will come after you for support and 2. he could attempt to claim her on taxes and 3.You pay for her primary expenses while he needs a new video game? I am sorry but big no no. You already are helping ger her to and from his home while he could use the money hes spending to get a car or pay for things she needs…

3 Likes

You have primary, not FULL custody. As her father, he is entitled to copies of birth records and socials. However, HE can obtain copies himself. Its not that hard. With that being said, you can also get state assistant in some states for having you child and providing for them any amount of time. I have primary custody of both my girls. My ex claims the time he has them for food stamps (every other weekend and holidays/summer) and gets assistance. I didn’t ask for child support either, nor is he “required” to. Hope you can find a peaceful middle ground and everything works out.

1 Like

You answered your own question when you said “ I have primary custody “

5 Likes

Omg don’t you dare give him any of her personal info!! He’s not as dumn as he’s making you think he is!! :rage:

5 Likes

As you are the primary parent he has no use for her social. Do not give it to her

2 Likes

I honestly would say no, don’t do it.

1 Like

You’ve been more than patient and more than fair. Don’t let his problems be your problems. You’ll regret it if you do. Don’t give him your kids ssn. Put him on child support. Don’t continue to enable him

3 Likes

Don’t feel bad. Just be honest with the guy. He has no need for it

1 Like

It’s tax time duhhhhhhhhh
Don’t be dumb he wants to get the tax money and any support meanwhile u do the work I don’t think so

5 Likes

Don’t do it. It’s tax season he wants to use her SS for child credit. If he’s not financially supportive he shouldn’t use it at all

2 Likes

Dont give it to him. And you shouldn’t feel bad about it.

1 Like

Do not give him her social . She lives with you . He will file and try to get more by claiming she lives with him. You file for yourself and file for child support. It’s not your job to babysit his life .

1 Like

Hi, a similar situation happened with me. I caved and provided my ex with my daughter’s info and he filed her on his taxes. Years later, when he had educated himself and wasn’t providing support the whole time, he came after me for full custody. I would caution you against providing him with information he doesn’t have when it can be used against you later. Blessings and best wishes.

No!!! Do not give him that information!

Would you go to the store and steal for him? If not then do not enable him to steal from the government…

You need to get with the attorney General and file for child support. Trust me be thru with ex, daughter now 21. He still has trouble keeping a job, owes back support. We also would bent over back word so he could see her, taking her to him, etc. He didn’t appreciate any of it.

He is not supporting your daughter she doesn’t live with him so he doesn’t need that information to gain financial support from the government

9 Likes

He will not only use it to get assistance, which means you won’t be able to, but may also use it to claim her on his taxes, which means you won’t be able to. If he is in dire financial straits, he may also use it to obtain credit in her name, thus possibly destroying her credit before she even gets any. Absolutely do NOT give this man her SS info!

4 Likes

If you provide more than 50% of the financial support for your daughter, then absolutely not… She has to RESIDE with him in order for him to claim her for any financial assistance.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t do it I have a handicap daughter and lived with her father 34 years he just passed away and in the end he didn’t leave her anything not even his house he have to other kids don’t do it

he shouldn’t be able to file with her since he doesn’t have primary custody

1 Like

He probably wants the social to file his taxes. There would be no need for her to be put on his food stamp case if she doesn’t live with him. If he does put her, that’s fraud.

1 Like

just remember if sheis with u more than 50 percent of the time then u are to get support and claim her on ur taxes. let him file because u are not with him but u file too. putboth kids on it. they will give u food stampsbfor 3. child support they fiquire aftter u ggive them amounts ofwhat it cost per month all included ur toliteris. they will red flag his and he contacts them. they will ask if shes there 51 percent of the time. if not then he only gets food for 1. he will have to get a job no matter what

Have a child divorced he has custody she has visitation and legally gets food stamps for portions covering visitation. So keep good records of when you have her and when he has her. This also effects child suport

You are going to open a world of problems for yourself. If you let him file with her the state will assume HE is the primary parent and put you on child support! When I applied they forgot to put my husbands info and they literally filed child support on him because of their own mistake. Even as a mistake it was an unbelievable pain in the ass.

The legal issues are really just tip.of the iceberg. He should want you to have those benefits for your daughter especially since he doesn’t pay you anything and she resides with you.
I would be careful about posting on social media about potential benefit fraud. Anyone could screenshot this and report you I have seen it before

1 Like

No do not give it to him. There are panties available for him. You are raising her

Nope don’t give it to him. Nope not being selfish.

1 Like

I’m in iowa and he didn’t need any information to get assistance.

If you have primary care and possession of your child, it would be fraudulent for him to use her social security number to obtain food stamps. If he is caught in the future, he could possibly face Federal charges/penalties and if you ever attempt to apply for assistance, it could cause issues for you because your daughter’s ss# could be flagged. The child MUST reside with the person filing for that assistance. You’re NOT wrong at all for not providing him with her information.

1 Like

Nope my ex boyfriend an the father of one of my daughters doesn’t even see our daughter or calls her or even checks in on her so nope he doesn’t need any of the those documents. I live in Ohio an since we were never married when I had my youngest daughter with my ex boyfriend he gets nothing from her or me.

Giving him the opportunity to falsely claim her on anything would be a huge mistake. Don’t do it.

1 Like

Don’t give it to him, it’s fraud if she’s not living with him

He doesn’t need her social security number to file for food stamps or low income because she is not living with him so therefore he doesn’t need it if he’s only applying for himself

1 Like

If he wants her social tell him to get a copy himself

If he wants it, make him get it. He can apply for a copy of her birth certificate and then her social.

1 Like

Is he on the birth certificate? Legally he can just go get a card at the social security office himself.

1 Like

No don’t give it. He can’t he doesn’t have custody.

Not sure if it’s fraud the child spends the weekend they need food and a place to stay

You’ve been enabling him. Your child deserves child support from him.

2 Likes

Dont do it. If he had money to spend then he doesnt need food stamps or any docs of her. And it would be a huge mess. So I wouldn’t do it…

But keep an eye open because if he is on her birth certificate all he has to do is call social security for a copy so keep an eye open

Don’t give it to him. Not only is that fraud but he can use it on his tax return and really screw you up.

If he files for any public assistance, you will get charged child support

1 Like

Do not give out your daughters personal information she is with you full time not him

1 Like

No , he isent entitled to any assistance for her

Girl he just want to file taxes an claim your daughter dont do it

Don’t do it he wants to file for taxes and claim her

He’s going to claim her for taxes… My ex tried to pull this with me too. Don’t give in!

Dont do it. Send things for ur daughter

1 Like

I would call food stamps and ask for advice and if you should allow him to put her on his paper work. Personally I wouldn’t if I didn’t have to give it to him because he could also use fraud information and her social security number to get a credit card and more. It really depends on his responsibility. But it doesn’t sound to me like he’s very responsible

1 Like

Don’t do it he just want file taxes nope don’t do it it can backfire on you

Don’t do it no reason if u are main parent.

I would send groceries with my children when they would visit their dad but he was paying child support. It’s something to consider😏

1 Like

Nope. That’s a big nope.

Girl don’t give him that shit he barely does anything for her you needs support her and your baby on the way please don’t be bamboozled by a bum that can’t care for himself let alone his child :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Don-t do it…yep FRAUD…

He doesn’t need that info

DO NOT GIVE HIM HER NUMBER!!!

He should have already had it, and if not then boo on him.

That is definitely fraud. And bc of the time of year, he very well may be trying to file his taxes and claim her as a dependent. If he claims her first, you SOL if you wanted to.

235 Likes

Unless the child lives with him all or most of the time he legally can not file for food stamps with her as a dependent. He can file for himself only.

24 Likes

First of all you need to look out for your child that you have with him but that does not mean that you should allow him to commit fraud by saying that your child lives with him most of the time because that’s what he’s going to need to say in order to get help from the state. Also why would you try to help him if he has plenty of money to eat out three or four times a week go bowling go to parties and buy new video games he should have more than enough money to supply food for his house for your daughter when she is there.

18 Likes

Since he doesn’t have primary custody, I would not give him her number.

55 Likes

Dont give him the social. Dont aid his crime. You already go far enough out of the way for him and it’s hindering you. dont give him
access that could negatively impact you in the future and be a hard mess to come out of. It sounds like you already know you shouldn’t do it.

56 Likes

Absolutely not. If it’s proven that you knew his intent to commit fraud, you can be held liable too. He doesn’t sound real upstanding. We had a family friend who’s father used her info and essentially stole her identity. He racked up hundreds of thousands of $$ in her name-before she even turned 19 her credit was ruined for life. You are the primary custodial parent, he doesn’t need ANY of her sensitive information.

12 Likes

If he can have parties and eat out all the time then he can pay child support and doesn’t need food stamps. Besides if you have primary custody he should not be applying for it with her because he isn’t supplying the child with most expenses, let alone half if he isn’t even paying child support. I am all for people getting help when they need it, but not fraudulently and not when they spend frivolously. Make him pay child support and hell no don’t let him claim her for food stamps.

38 Likes

Girl YOU are the one taking care of your child I say file for child support and what he wants to do is fraud. If you end up needing assistance from the state you won’t be able to claim her because he did. If he can afford to party and eat out multiple days a week then he can afford some child support. Don’t give him that number girl!

43 Likes

I wouldn’t - he could file her as a dependent on taxes . My best friend had custody, no child support and saw boys once a month. He had their #’s and claimed them both before she did her taxes. Nope - wouldn’t trust it

15 Likes

Unless you have sole custody, he has a legal right to it. Not giving it to him could get you in trouble. Whether he deserves it or not. What you could do, however, is report him for the fraud. If he has partial custody, he can get the documents himself as well.

10 Likes

Why are you angry? You chose not to accept any financial help from him because you wanted him to get himself together. That was a bad decision. The cost to provide for a child is there regardles of what that parents are going through. STOP being angry and file for child support. And stop taking his child to and from his house. With all the transportation options, there’s no reason he can’t find one that suits his needs. If he can eat takeout, hang out with his friends, and buy video games… he can certainly find the funds to see his daughter.
:100::100::100::100::100::100::100::100::100:

3 Likes

Look… the child support that you gave away isn’t yours. It’s your daughter’s. Now do the right thing and take him to court and get him to pay. Don’t give him the SS number. If he wants to commit fraud, let him do it on his own. Grow up and stop trying to be “nice” to him.

19 Likes

Nope nope nope you are a nice person and that’s awesome but there is a boundary. Letting him use a child to get free money that he doesn’t even help support? Nope nope nope

20 Likes

Don’t give it to him. What I think you should do is first file your taxes immediately so if he figures out how to get her social he doesn’t claim her first. Secondly file for child support if for nothing else to establish the custody agreement. Don’t let him continue to be irresponsible with your daughter, I know you want to keep the relationship in good standings but if that tips him over the edge that isn’t your fault.

9 Likes

I’d be leary he would try and file taxes early and file for her sounds like he would get the earned income tax credit. Don’t give out her ss# to him. You’ve been a very good x to him

6 Likes

No, he can get an apt and cc under their names, if he’s not doing well. Yeah it’s wrong ppl do it
And take your tax refund. You need that money.
He’s a man let him man up without your help

40 Likes

Oh no no no, you get caught with her living with you will hurt in the future should you need it plus you don’t want him to claim her on his taxes to get earned income credit and head of household. Since he is not paying child support he legally cannot claim her since obviously doesn’t provide more than half of her expenses. Legally he should be paying you child support and for her insurance so you have been very generous. He cannot file for food stamps using her. Highly illegal!!

5 Likes

DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY INFO ABOUT YOUR DAUGHTER!!! I made this mistake with my youngest daughter’s father. I had FULL pysical custody, I paid for her insurance, food, clothing, shelter, and everything else for 18 years. HE NEVER paid his court ordered child support. When she was a few months from being 18, he filed for a court hearing. He lied to the judge on all issues and the judge didn’t care what I had to say or what proof of evidence I had to show he was lying. I had to pay ALL 18years of support to his raggedie ass.

5 Likes

Most states require it to be the no custodial to make arrangements to see their child ! You don’t have to take her to see him he should be making an effort to see her on his own! It is not your place to provide transportation to his house for visiting! An no under no circumstances do you give him her info ! He just wants it for taxes ! If he gets it and files first then you will not be able to file and get anything! Also any stimulus money will go to him!

6 Likes

Don’t do it. Not only can you not file if you need to, he can claim her on taxes and you won’t be able to claim her as a dependent.

9 Likes

You need to take him to court for child support. You are enabling him , your child deserves his support each month. The court will make sure of that.

11 Likes

Don’t give it to him and file for support now and food stamps yourself. They are giving food stamps to people effected by covid.

37 Likes

You are not selfish, you are busting your butt hard to make a living for these children and he is doing nothing in return except trying to commit fraud by claiming he supports her. Don’t be an Accessory to his crime and if he has a job then file for child support

3 Likes

Don’t give it to him…There is no reason to…he only gets assistance if he is the primary care giver. Don’t let him put a guilt trip on you…if anyone is going to get any help it’s you!!!

5 Likes

Never, ever give your child’s social security to a single soul including her father. There are many young people who had their credit ruin almost for life because of parents and family using their number. I have a friend who had to change her entire identity because of this. Protect that number with your life.

38 Likes

No you are not…he can file for himself. He will have to prove financial eligibility but it is still possible for him to be approved. If you give him her information knowing what he is planning, you can also be held responsible for fraud. Benefits are not easily given, you need birth certificates, ss numbers, proof of shared parenting, lease for residence, proof of income and expenses. I have to wonder if he is attempting to do something else with her number, if he contacted an agency for benefits, they would have given him a list of documentation needed. The fact that he did not ask for her birth certificate is a HUGE red flag. I work for a housing program that has similar requirements and I help clients sign up for benefits through the state, trust me when I say be very careful handing over your daughter’s information.

5 Likes

Do not give him her social security number. He can use it to file credit cards and loans, forever ruining her credit. You are her primary caretaker and need to worry about your family and her. He is a grown man and should be arranging to see her himself.

6 Likes

Do not surrender any paperwork. He has had enough time of not supporting the child, and now he wants free money. I know a few people that do that and it just makes me sick. He needs to be supporting the child to claim the child for anything. Good luck

6 Likes

No! Don’t ruin your daughters finances. If he squanders his money on garbage, what makes you think that he won’t do the same? Also, you’d go to jail and your daughter will be placed in foster care!

5 Likes

Why would he use her info, she doesn’t live with him. She lives with you.

5 Likes

Do NOT commit fraud. He obviously has enough money for his fun times. He’s a grown man, let him figure it out. DO NOT TAKE from the mouths that you need to feed, to “maintain a good relationship” with a man who won’t grow up.

5 Likes

Don’t give it to him. If he wants to file for food stamps and u allow him to do that he will also probably use it to claim her on his taxes. Whoever does it first gets the credit unless there is a court order or proof that the other parent has the child. He is trying to use his child for money, if he was supporting her at least 50%, was struggling and u were doing fine then I would say maybe but in my opinion he is probably lying about the assistance and is trying to claim her on his taxes

4 Likes

If hes not paying support , or at least helping pay for her needs without the child support intervening, then he does not need your child’s social. You are the mother , you do everything your daughter needs. And you might need the support . It’s better to have it in the months of need, while pregnant. Then to give it to someone that hasn’t helped much on HIS OWN. He’s a grown man hun , he needs to figure out his own financial situations, & not use his daughter for his own income . He’s supposed to get money FOR her , not use her to get money . :unamused:

3 Likes

No you’re not wrong. You have primary custody of your daughter. Don’t let him intimidate you to feel guilty about it either. He only wants her SS # for monetary reasons.

5 Likes