Am I wrong for thinking kids shouldn't be cussing?

Is it just me or are kids cussing younger and younger these days…what happened to the days of cuss words being bad words and kids being respectful around adults and toddlers? i went to the park today and these kids were throwing aroudn curse words like it was normal so i had to take my toddler and leave so her new favrotie word wouldnt be the S word…what happened to parenting our kids people? do better…

384 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Am I wrong for thinking kids shouldn't be cussing? - Mamas Uncut

There’s a lot more to worry about than swearing. Get a grip

19 Likes

Those days and that kind of “respect for your elders” is gone, it seems!!

6 Likes

Seriously? Your complaining about swearing? Kids are going to hear it one way or another. Get a grip already!

5 Likes

It is getting horrible. Some parents just don’t care and some kids just don’t have any respect :neutral_face::woman_facepalming:

11 Likes

I tell my kids to read the room. If your teacher, grandma or principal are present, hold it. You can cuss around me, not at me. That’s my rule.

16 Likes

I’m over 40 and still try not to do it in front of my mom. Lol. Haven’t done it in years though.

7 Likes

I’m less concerned with my kids saying asshole than being assholes. :woman_shrugging:t4:

My kids are told they are adult words. They are not allowed to say them until they know how to use them and until they understand how hurtful those words can be

2 Likes

I absolutely agree. Self respect and respect of others.

Sadly, most adults lack that respect these days and don’t care to teach it to our youth.

Just do you. That’s what I do.

8 Likes

They are just words. They won’t hurt you. Calm down!

4 Likes

No way. I’m sooo super strict about it. My oldest is 17 and has never ever said a swear word in front of me… ive always said… I know all kids swear… but please do not ever swear at anyone… especially an adult… and never ever swear in front of me or in our home. I wouldn’t ever tolerate that.

4 Likes

I was told I could swear at 16 my kids didn’t swear until they were 18 atleast not around me

You’ll find most kids will act up when there parents aren’t in the way I wouldn’t allow my kids to do it in front of me tho but then again was sat on a wall the other day when this teenage lad came and sat not so far away from me with his mum and he started spitting on the floor and she didn’t say a thing I got up and moved but yano nothing surprises me anymore proper dragged up most of the kids these days :neutral_face::pensive:

Kids swear 100% when there parents arnt around and that has nothing to to with how they parent … Only time it has to do with the parents is of the kids are swearong infront of them.

4 Likes

I grew up where swearing wasn’t used/allowed and compared to my friends who grew up hearing it as a adult I swear a lot more because when I was adult it was this new forbidden language I got to learn so yeah sometimes I’m a bit excess, I try not to swear to much around others kids etc but it’s a part of life I just tell me girl they are adult words and she can use them when she’s an adult and not before :woman_shrugging:t3::blush:

1 Like

Bullying is far worse than cussing.

6 Likes

I think kids get so use to seeing and hearing on electronics and television now
They are just words …… I hate it , but they learn way to much on line …. Cussing is the least of what is becoming problems

I still tell any kids I’m involved with big people words
Lil people words

Teenagers be respectful of your company
And responsible where

I agree with you. I don’t find it cute or funny when toddlers swear, but in saying that…you can also teach your child not to. I swear around my kids but they don’t repeat it. They know they are grown up words… we had a couple of repeats and I explained that they shouldn’t say it and it’s only words to use when they are big and grown up

I quit telling my kids no cussing. What’s the point. They hear us do it.

6 Likes

They are just man made words. We made them profanity. :thinking:

8 Likes

Personally I think it’s really sad and actually disgusting. :woman_shrugging: but again… just MY personal opinion. No one has to get butt hurt about it.

I heard a 2nd grader maybe 3rd grader a few years back on school grounds told his friend in his class I found a c0ndom and I’m going to fk your mom . Grade 3 at best… my kid was in primary.

2 Likes

My 8 year old says a few it’s brilliant :rofl:

1 Like

So many parents are raising disrespectful little brats! It doesn’t sound good when an adult swear, even worse when a child does it

11 Likes

I was raised by the old adage, do as I say, not as I do. Unfortunately, there’ll always be those kids who run their mouths and cuss up a storm, when their parents aren’t around. I don’t blame you for not wanting your child around it.

The way I acted in front of my parents was much different than with my friends lol

Lol kids do a lot of stuff when they’re parents aren’t around,that has and will always be a thing. I’ve taught my daughter that those are adult words and I haven’t had an issue with it.

I agree that kids shouldn’t be using the language, but we can only try to control our kids when it comes to that. My kids know bad words, I use them more regularly than I care to admit. But they don’t say them back. That’s a good teaching moment for you. I’d say “now you hear those kids using those words? Those aren’t kind words.” Your kids are going to be around it and there’s nothing you can do.

Honestly I don’t care if my kid curses. They’re just words. As long as she’s not cursing at someone or in school, I can care less if she says “oh shit” when she drops something. They’re only “bad words” bc someone one day decided it was bad. Maybe you should “do better” and worry about parenting your own child instead worrying about how others parent. If you don’t want your child doing so teach her it’s not appropriate in your house :woman_shrugging:t3:.

1 Like

Oh no! Not shameful bad words :scream:

4 Likes

Completely inappropriate of those other children (regardless of their ages) to be using bad language, especially at a park with other children present. I don’t walk around using bad language in my everyday conversations. It’s disrespectful and very rude.

I think it’s a family choice. My kids are allowed to cuss in side are own home and not at anyone. I would be a hypocrite if I tried to do anything else because I cuss worse then a sailer. There are bigger hills to die on, is this the one you want to pick?

3 Likes

I cuss like a sailor but my kids arent allowed to use bad language. They know better. They also know that their day will come when theyre allowed to…

3 Likes

We call them “driving words” because like a car, if you use them wrong you can hurt people with them. When your brain is developed enough to learn to drive, you should be able to tell when you can use those words and when using them would be hurtful. Also, I curse at reckless drivers so it makes sense :joy:

5 Likes

My six year old is allowed to cuss in my car, with me, along with the songs. It’s the only place she’s allowed to. She doesn’t cuss anywhere else. I grew up where it wasn’t allowed no matter what, now I have the mouth of a sailor :rofl::woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

I don’t mind cussing at all… as long as it is done appropriately and not at people. There is a difference between cussing at people and dropping something in your foot and say f*ck!

I agree, when my daughter was 2, I had the tv on, she wasn’t even watching, just listening, the 70’s show was on, the dad said SOB, then she said it, I’m like no we can’t say that, I changed the channel, it was hilarious at the time, but she’s now 22, and don’t even say darn, so it was turned out fine

1 Like

Look at what kids watch on youtube. Stuff targeted for 4yr Olds has cussing all over it. It’s not the parenting it’s what’s considered entertainment that is not suitable for the kids

1 Like

I’m constantly on the neighborhood kids. I told my 11yr old son I hear him drop the f bomb I’m making you eat soap in front of your friends…

1 Like

My 15yo has a potty mouth like her mom! She is a great kid, great student and has a good head on her shoulders. We ask her to be respectful about it but we have potty mouths too. :woman_shrugging:t3: She has never been in trouble for it at school. You will know when your kids have started cussing with their friends because they will let one slip on accident!

4 Likes

if your kids don’t cuss you’re not parenting them right my 3 year old will say “move som o bitch” when we’re in the car randomly it’s not bc i taught her that it’s bc she heard it from her papa who’s since passed and honestly it’s pretty funny i couldn’t help but laugh when i heard it i was like damn she got road rage :joy: all kids cuss they’ll learn it from someone in their life even if it’s not you i try telling my daughter that that’s a bad word and that she’s being a bad girl and she’s starting to chill out on cussing people out :woozy_face:

I love a good cuss word :joy:

3 Likes

Sounds so trashy. Kids should not be cussing and neither should the parents

9 Likes

Ahh yeah the good ole days huh :joy:

1 Like

Idc they are just words to me… however my kids know to be respectful.

4 Likes

My first house I purchased was down the street from an elementary school. One day I had the front door open and this kid about 3rd grade was just walking home saying every curse word ever known. The 2nd house and current home I purchased has kids, but parents here actually watch them, and my 2 year old doesn’t have to hear it

If that’s the worse their doing, I wouldn’t be upset about a few F/S bombs.

2 Likes

They are just words don’t give them so much power. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

My kids don’t swear in front of me or any adults for that matter. I know they do it because I’ve been shown videos. Do they do it at the park, probably :woman_shrugging: Would i like for them to do it at the park or anywhere, no. It happens :woman_shrugging: You can preach to a kid until you are blue in the face, ultimately they will do what THEY are going to do. It’s not funny, it’s not cute nor is it cool. They see how i interact with people, there is a time and place to use those words. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I mean if they’re not being directly disrespectful to you then I don’t see a huge issue tbh. Idek know how those words are deemed “bad words” when there’s so many not nice words that are used multiple times daily

1 Like

So, if I understand this … you’re publicly judging other parenting choices, and throw out do better. While teaching your children to judge others. Yeah, do better.
Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

5 Likes

I’ll teach them the context of the word and how we don’t cuss at people or in a hurtful manner, but if my kids drops the milk and says oh shit. I wouldn’t be mad :woman_shrugging:t2: they’re not going to be disrespectful just because they can cuss. To me, cussing is the least of my worries as they get bigger

My kids arent allowed too 💁🏽

3 Likes

They’re just words!!
My kids(ages 6 and 11) have rules.
1: They can cuss IN CONTEXT.
2: They cannot use the words to upset someone or call people names.
3: They cannot use the words in public.

9 Likes

Those are not our kids out there with you why are you yelling at us. Direct your anger somewhere else.

3 Likes

I don’t care what kids hear from Adults. When they are adults they can use whatever language they want untill then not happening around me. It’s nasty for children to use nasty words and disgusting for adults to let it happen.

6 Likes

My son is 10 and we dont allow him to cuss. He does say “heck” instead of heLL or “freaking” instead of the F word. We also dont allow him to say stupid or hate because those are not nice words. He is old enough to know not to repeat if he hears other kids saying them now but as a toddler we did leave places or play farther away from the kids cussing so he didnt repeat them…granted his father and I tried our best not to cuss around him when he was a toddler but now that he is older we dont filter our language.

In a society where you have adults literally screaming obscenities in the name of “free speech” everywhere you turn, what did you think would happen?

4 Likes

As long as they are using it in the correct context, what’s the harm? Out of ALL the things to worry about, CUSSING is at the VERY bottom. You need a hobby

18 Likes

You’re an adult. Why would you leave? If you didn’t like their language around your small child you could have just said to the kids, “Hey guys please watch your language around the little ones.” 9 times out of 10 they’ll apologize.

4 Likes

It’s ridiculous! I work at a high school and the language is absurd. The problem is 100% that parents are allowing it. It has just become so much a part of their everyday language.

2 Likes

Your not wrong for thinking that kids shouldn’t swear. It’s different for every generation. We were all raised differently. I’m a millennial, will be 31 this year.

In my household with my children. They are allowed to swear in the house as long as they are not using them in an abusive manner.

I swear like a sailor so they are used to hearing it on the daily.

Like my baby will come to me and pat her butt and say mama shit ewww and cover her nose, when she poops. She will be 2 next month.

My 7 year old will tell me I said a bad word but will turn around and use said bad word like 10 minutes later. She is a goob like that.

But she knows that she isn’t allowed to use those words outside of the house or at other people’s houses.

You can think whatever you want, but swearing doesn’t make you a bad parent. Teaching your kids racial slurs does make you a bad parent though.

5 Likes

Well, let’s break this down. Why are cuss words bad words? Is it because they are rude? Because “stupid” and “poop head” are also rude, but aren’t labeled as bad words. It’s actually because you’ve been taught these words are somehow different than other words. They aren’t though. “F you” and “Fudge you” mean the exact same thing. Calling someone a “poop head” and a “S head” is the exact same insult. So why ban certain words?
I cuss, and my husband cusses. 1 of my kids (a teen) refuses to cuss. My other teen cusses as much as I do. My 9yo ONLY isn’t allowed to cuss because having this discussion with a school would be uncomfortable lol.
Focus on the meaning, not the word. Banging your finer and yelling “shhhhit” is fine. Being rude to anyone, regardless of what the words used are, is not okay. Do better.

Cuss words are cool, it was in the last memo.

1 Like

I was raised in a fairly strict religious home & my parents NEVER cussed nor did my friends parents but in 5th grade I was in class with a kid who cussed (also raised in a religious home) and started then bc I thought it was cool… my kids can cuss all they want when they’re adults but not as children

1 Like

Kids repeat what they hear, usually from the adults in their lives:/

2 Likes

I was cussing with my grade school friends all the way back I’m 1992, its not a “new” thing lol

We did it when our parents weren’t around, obviously.

8 Likes

My 5 year old was sitting on the porch yesterday playing with her Barbie’s and Barbie car while I pulled weeds. All a sudden I heard her say “I said shut the fk up!” The night before she was on the couch, she said mom, I said Mother Fker the other day! She does cuss, I do not allow it. Normally she won’t do it in front of me but she will go to her sister (15) & brother (23) and whisper and call them Mother f**kers! I try not to react to her saying it because it only makes it worse!

1 Like

What happened to minding our own business when it comes to other people’s parenting choices? Or is that only reserved for spanking your kids and altering their bodies?

8 Likes

My kids(20,18,15,14)swear.They’re good kids.They know they cant just walk up to someone and call them a effing c you next tuesday.

4 Likes

Just be careful sheltering your daughter so much, I fear for you when she’s a teenager.

7 Likes

All the kids in our neighborhood swear like sailors, even since they were 5 years old. It’s definitely different times. My mom would have swatted me with a wooden spoon.

2 Likes

Bad words are words like stupid, dumb, r******d. Words that really hurt people

10 Likes

My daughter admits that she curses around her friends… It’s normal for kids to “act cool”, but she also knows that if I hear it or if another adult hears it and I find out… There’s consequences.

3 Likes

That’s so sad n ugly I completely agree. N for people to make it seem normal n ok are not in their right mind.

No you’re not wrong!!
I think it’s terrible and disrespectful!
Every time I hear a young kid cussing I start feeling for the  kid, Just imagine how the parent is that raises them

14 Likes

I don’t allow my son to cuss but I know he does around his friends. If it’s that bad ask them to stop cussing. I remember cussing when I didn’t think adults could hear

I’m more concerned with my children being kind humans than if they say fuck once in a while. :woman_shrugging:t3:
They are just words, if they aren’t using them to hurt someone’s feelings then let it fly.

Don’t go to a public park and expect every child there to be up to your standards :woman_facepalming:t2:

8 Likes

I wouldn’t doubt my kids slip a word when with friends (ages 8&9) but they never (or haven’t yet) said any cuss words around me. Its not cause uta a different time. Kids shouldn’t cuss. Its the parenting.

4 Likes

Hell my 11 year old just looked at me and told me I made damn good coffee :joy:
But my kids are comfortable enough with me and dad to know some words are ok

I don’t think anyone should be cussing. Buy a dictionary and learn how to speak what needs to be communicated appropriately or shut up and go home.

I was cussing when I was young and my parents weren’t around.
I allow my kids to cuss but not cuss at us or be disrespectful when cussing to us. They are just words and hold no power if you don’t give them it.

5 Likes

It starts at home, ‘so kids are a product of their environment.’

3 Likes

When kids are away from their parents they think it’s cool or makes them feel older to use bad words. I know I did it as a kid. Or at school too

I would rather my child curse and get her emotions and frustration out than for her to be holding in her negative emotions and then she wants to fight. We let our daughter curse at home with us but she’s not allowed to at school or in the presence of her aunties, uncles and grandparents or anyone else that would be considered her elders.

5 Likes

My son is allowed to swear (he’s going to do it anyway, just like every kid) but he knows the rules. He can’t swear at people since he isn’t old enough to understand the consequences of doing so, and he can’t swear at school.
Every year I’ve gotten a mass email from his teachers reminding parents to reinforce that swearing is not okay at school because they’re hearing a lot of it. I always ask specifically if my son is swearing in school as he knows his rules, it’s never him :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

My 4 year just got his mouth washed out the other day. I don’t play that mess.

4 Likes

they are just words, and to blame to parents for how the children act when they arent around as if you weren’t a kid once who broke rules etc when your parents weren’t around

2 Likes

I don’t cuss and I’m 54. My kids aren’t too bad about it thankfully. They are grown now, youngest just turned 21.

Don’t come at me for this cause I don’t give a care what you think but I have a 23 yo son who still doesn’t curse around me! He slips up but apologizes quickly. It’s called respecting your elders!

6 Likes

The amount of laugh reacts is wow… :pensive: let’s raise our kids respectful y’all :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

I cuss left and right and every time my kids repeat me they replace the cuss word with an appropriate one. Just depends on how the parent handles the situation.

Mine is allowed to swear. They’re just words. She knows not to do it at school. She knows not to bully and use words to hurt people, no matter what words they are.
She came home and asked me the other day what the N word was. So we talked about slurs being unacceptable. And she told me about boys on her bus using g** as an insult. Those are the things I don’t want to ever hear coming out of her f, n,d, r etc. But profanity 🤷

10 Likes

I noticed how freely the f… word is being used by young people!

2 Likes

They’re just words and usually only descriptive / expressions rather than derogatory. I allow them used as long as it’s not excessive.

2 Likes

They learn it from home!!!

2 Likes