Am I wrong to not want my moms dog around my children anymore?

I struggle really badly with mental health, and I forgot my medicine today, so all in all, it was a bad day. My MILs dog bit my son over some food one time, and ever since, I’ve asked them not to allow the dog around my children without me around. I’d prefer not at all, so I don’t have to worry. Today(as I said earlier, it was a bad day already), they were watching my children and decided it was ok to take the dog around them. I had me SO say something, and they come over to our house griping at me, telling me she doesn’t have to watch my kids at all, but she does, she’s not going to pick my kids over her kid’s dog, that it’s been the most stressful six months of her life (that’s how long she’s been watching my kids) and then told me she has bad days too and to live with it. All in all, I just find the whole thing disrespectful. My two questions are 1.) am I wrong for not wanting the dog around my kids after what happened? And 2.) what would you do if your in-laws came in your house saying things like that? Would you and the kids go back around them? I hate to cut them off for the kid’s sake, but that’s just total disrespect and really hurt my feelings.

61 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Am I wrong to not want my moms dog around my children anymore? - Mamas Uncut

It’s not your house so you can’t say if they should have a dog or not. If you don’t like it, they do have the option to l choose the dog over your kids.

18 Likes

If you feel your children are in danger, you’re NOT wrong. The dog bit your child??? I would have come undone and as much of a dog lover I am, the police would have been involved. That might sound dramatic, but dogs are capable of killing children…

20 Likes

dont let kids over there if it’s an issue

3 Likes

It’s her house and she can have dogs if she likes. She doesn’t have to babysit. And it’s your choice to have your children at her house or not.

30 Likes

Personally I do not think you’re wrong for not being comfortable with the dog around your kids. Even if it’s a one-time situation it does not change the fact that happened (bite) secondly I’m not saying that this is what you meant but going off your wording I do not think that is necessary to cut them out of your life or your kid’s life. That doesn’t change the fact that if they can’t respect your request as a mom and it doesn’t matter if they think it’s unreasonable you’re the mom and they have to accommodate to your request at a reasonable level. So my suggestion or advice would be do not cut them out of the lives no matter what this conversation may be but I do think that they shouldn’t be childcare if they can’t respect your wishes

8 Likes

Teach your son not to touch dogs while they’re eating. I have a mental disorder too and I’m not on meds at all, but I don’t go around blaming people for my problems. If you have an issue with her dog, then find someone else to watch your kids. That simple.

21 Likes

Teach you kids how to behave around dogs. They are doing you a favor…not vice versa. Its her house and if you want her to watch your kids then teach your kids how to behave around animals. Your feelings are hurt cause she stood up too you. She didn’t give in when you had a tantrum. Grow up. Keep your kids at home or teach them how to behave around her animals in her House

17 Likes

You don’t want the dog around your kids and they don’t seem to really want to watch them so I would stop sending them over. If they want to see them they can come over your place to visit.

16 Likes

They aren’t gonna lock their dog up all day to watch your kids. Either have them watch them at your house were there isn’t a dog, or stop having them watch them. She is right. People have had days. You’re not the only one. I get that it sucked but it’s not always about you.

12 Likes

Keep your kids at home. It’s not worth their life to have her babysit.

1 Like

So if you don’t like her behavior towards you…do you think she’s going to be any better to the kids… and do you think they are going to like it any more than you do?

3 Likes

She stated she doesn’t have to watch your kids at all… you stated yes she does have to watch them. NO she does not have to watch them. Get another babysitter and stop all the drama.

9 Likes

You are not wrong at all to be upset. Dog biting and nipping is a dangerous behavior even if it Didn’t cause damage or harm that time. They should understand that and keep the dog away from the children, not only is that stressful and dangerous to the children, that’s stressful to the dog as well. If they make that choice that they don’t want to accommodate the dog being away from your kids I would say okay fine they won’t come over anymore and be done with it. Keeping the dog away from the children shouldn’t even be that difficult to do, but if they don’t want to do it then I wouldn’t have the kids go over anymore for their own safety

5 Likes

Teach the kids how to behave around a dog. The kid got bit FOR A REASON. If you don’t want the kids around the dog then stop having your in-laws babysit. What’s she suppose to do? Lock the dog up all day everyday? :roll_eyes:

18 Likes

First of all I would be greatful, if I had someone to watch my daughter. Second, start looking for proper childcare if your kids are stressing your MIL out. It isn’t her job to raise your kids.

10 Likes

It’s her house and she can have dogs if she likes. She doesn’t have to babysit. And it’s your choice to have your children at her house or not.

10 Likes

Not her job to take care of them :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

She’s allowed to have a dog but… what happened to the grandparents that actually give a dang? Just pathetic.

7 Likes

Quit sending ur kids there it’s her home

2 Likes

If she came in my house and said that I’d say sorry but don’t let the door hit u in the ass when u leave

Maybe find someone else to watch them you dont have to cut them off just find childcare that doesnt destroy family bonding

8 Likes

If the dog bites your kid again then id call the police and press charges and the dog would have to get put down the dog should know better then biting kids and you didnt say how old your son was that got bit but if hes older then he shouldnt have beem eating near it like at a table or something but im guessing toddler age so then yes the dog should get put down for biting everyone has there own opinion tho

7 Likes

Some of these comments are really gross. … Momma you are not wrong. And the fact that it’s your MIL?? So technically it’s her grandchild?? Idk… she sounds unreasonable and selfish. Definitely teach your child to not touch animals while they’re eating… and yeah, it’s not your house so you can’t control what goes on over there and she doesn’t have to watch your child… but anyone that values an animal over a child’s well being is just… sick. I would find another sitter.

12 Likes

It’s their house.u can always get another baby sitter

2 Likes

My first question would be what kind of dog?

3 Likes

No, you’re not wrong in not wanting the dog around your kids. I wouldn’t either. For your kids sake and the sake of your mental health, you should find someone else to watch your kids and if MIL wants to see them she can come to your house without the dog

2 Likes

If someone’s fog bit my kid I wouldn’t take them back over there. You can’t tell them what to do in their house or with their dog. The only thing you can control is your kids. I’d say they could come to my home to visit with the kids (no dog). After she told you that watching your kids was the most stressful 6mos of her life I wouldn’t allow her around my kids. I wouldn’t want to add stress in her life. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

You are in the wrong. It’s their dog, at their house…if you don’t want your kids around the dog, don’t take them over there or let them go there.

11 Likes

Food aggression is the worse with a dog. I have my dog trained and messed with while eating for that reason. I wouldn’t like a biting dog period. Find a new sitter. It never turns out good when its your family.

2 Likes

You people are absolutely vicious. Most of you were so focused on two sentences of that whole post. Yes the grandmas absolutely allowed to have a dog and care about the dog her post isn’t about the grandma having a dog her question of her post is she overthinking the disrespect of her requesting feelings about the dog due to a situation . but yet all you are focused on it’s a grandma having a dog and half-ass focusing on the babysitting question.

More context would be pretty great here… like, how bad was the bite? Was it the dogs food or the child’s food? Is your MIL also your children’s grandma? … if she’s not then I would def consider throwing that whole family away. Kids are always more important than animals.

6 Likes

I should think it would be hard to keep a dog away from kids, they usually love them. And you did say you didn’t take your medicine and were having a bad day. I am more concerned about the way she came to your house and said those awful things to you. What about her son, where is he in all of this?

3 Likes

I think the best situation would be a new babysitter. She can’t leave her dog locked up all day and this way you won’t get stressed out.

2 Likes

Compromise.
MiL could keep the dawg in another room. Sequestered until the kids leave. :tipping_hand_woman:

2 Likes

Did your child require stitches?

Honestly you’re really lucky to have that kind of support. So many people are working and raising families without the help of their parent or in-laws. If you don’t want your children around their dog, it’s your responsibility to make other arrangements for your children, not her for her dog. She’s done her job and is living the next stage of her life. Respect is a two way street, and currently you’re not very mindful of your MILs perspective…

11 Likes

In your house your rule. Her house her rule, and judging by her harsh comments she don’t care for you too much at all .so don’t force your rule in her house remove your self from that part of the situation

4 Likes

If you don’t want your kids around her dog, YOU need to find alternate childcare

17 Likes
  1. Its your responsibility to teach your children how to interact with dogs, cats, animals. The animals cant talk, and 80%of the time the sof bit for a reason.
  2. You had a bad day.
    She had a bad day.
    A train wreck colliding at the drop off. Live with it.
  3. If your rules are not meet, find a different babysitter.
  4. Your medication should be the 1st thing you do in the morning.
    5.When arranging different child care, keep it at your house with surveillance supervision.
10 Likes

She actually said she’s not going to pick your kids over her kid’s dogs? As in these dogs aren’t even hers? And one bit your child already? Yeah, no. I’d be pissed too. You have every right to be mad about this. I wouldn’t want the same dogs around my children anymore either, without me present. But, I’ve also been bitten by a dog as a child, so I’m already super cautious around any animals, and both my kids are allergic to cats and dogs. I would find someone else to watch your kids, someone that will respect your wishes, and you, from the sounds of it

2 Likes

Im sure that when this first happened the dog had not been around your baby previously and or had not been properly introduced to one another. Which makes a huge difference and is also important when you are going to be bringing anyone around something in which they are unfamiliar. Sounds like there are other children around the dog as well…i mean im sure they are not just letting the dog go around all free willy biting them …so I would say try again let him sniff her out and get to know your child and teach your child how to properly interact with the dog .you dont just stop walking for the rest of your life just because you simply fell down .and you dont want your child going around in life scared of everything.

Find a new babysitter??
Don’t pick a babysitter with a dog??

5 Likes

If the in-laws don’t keep their dog away from your kids, then you should remove your kids from their care.
In my opinion it’s not worth the risk. My daughter had her face bit by our family boxer at only 8 months old- no food involved, just went for her while she was in her walker. It was terrifying to say the least. When we went to the hospital for stitches, they reported the incident and animal control picked up our dog for mandatory quarantine. So if the dog bites again, make sure it’s reported.

3 Likes

First of all she doesn’t have to watch your kid. Second of all you have no say about any animal in her house. That being said, there is nothing stopping you from finding someone else to watch your kid.

9 Likes

One you said the dog bit your kid over food one time so was your kid messing with the dog while it was eating cause if so that’s the consequence of that sorry. Two if the dog hasn’t bitten the kid again then it was obviously a one time thing. Three if you’re so uncomfortable with your kids being around the dog why tf are you allowing your MIL to babysit honestly? Fourth Obviously you’ve been saying stuff abt it a lot or your MIL wouldn’t of snapped like that. Your feelings can be hurt but if your kid isn’t traumatized by what the dog did then you NEED to let it go seriously. I got mental health issues but I don’t go blaming everyone for everything either. It’s pretty petty if you to even want to cut the MIL off just cause she has had enough of whatever you’re saying abt the dog n she just couldn’t hold it in no more n she let you know exactly how she feeling n she’s not wrong for that sorry. People have the right to say this n that regardless if it hurts someone else’s feelings but it’s up to u as the person whether or not you let it affect you in the end. Make sure to take your meds everyday too.

2 Likes

Idk the exact situation, but no, if the dog has bitten your child, you have every right to not want the dog around you children (coming from an avid dog lover). But cutting off ties completely, idk. Need a bit more info on what happened I guess. If you’re that concerned, maybe get someone else to babysit your children and be with your in-laws only when you’re around?

3 Likes

Don’t like dogs around your kids then find someone else to watch them. Sounds like you’re kid got bit as a warning because he messing with the dog while it was eating. The only thing I would’ve gonna off about is her coming to your house.

But all in all, it sounds like you need to teach your kids how to treat and act around animals

7 Likes

I am the biggest dog lover in the world, but I would not want my kids to be around the dog. That being said, she isn’t wrong to tell you she won’t watch your kids either. :woman_shrugging:t3: If you don’t like her terms, then figure something else out for YOUR kids. They may be her grandkids, but that’s the beauty of being a grandparent - they aren’t your responsibility.

6 Likes

If the dog bit your kid no it is not unreasonable to want the dog kept away from your kids. That is just being a parent they are being shitty. Fact is yes they deserve say so in their house sure but a dog bitting a child is not acceptable they should have sense enough to keep a bitter away from kids. People are stupid sometimes though and I had a similar issue with my mother in law and I was just blunt I will kill the dog bullet in brain if it leaves another bite on any of my babies. So either you prevent the bitting or I pop one off in his skull while you watch because I will not tollerate my children being scarred up because you dont have sense enough to teach the dog not to bite or to keep a bitting dog away from children. She kept the dog away from all kids from that point on. No one got bit again. It was her house and her dog but it was my child and my rules for my children so both were valid. She chose to be a decent human being and protect both the dog and children.

Find a new sitter. Apologize for “putting her out”. But I wouldn’t cut her off. If they let the dog out, leave. Tell them that it is a boundary for you and you won’t have your kids around the dog.

7 Likes

It’s the “it’s been the most stressful six months of her life “ for me !! She wouldn’t never have to worry about my kids stressing her out again .

15 Likes

I hate dogs anyway, so if it bit my kid, I’d go off tap

2 Likes

Find a new babysitter

2 Likes

Time to find someone else to watch the kids

1 Like

Sounds like she’s stressed watching your kids and you expect her to keep the dog away which is more on her plate. I think grandparents raised their kids and should be able to enjoy their grandchildren not babysit 40+hours a week. Not enough info here though so options can change. I personally wouldn’t ask someone not to have their dog around my child at their own house. I would put my child in daycare or find a babysitter without dogs.

10 Likes

My mom was wonderful but sometimes just did not respect my wishes. I promised I would never do that to any of my 8 kids and I don’t. I respect their parenting. So no, you are not wrong. They don’t respect you and have no respect for your feelings. They don’t seem compassionate. I wouldn’t want my children around bad influences. They see how they treat you. I love animals. I’ve worked for veterinarians in the past. No dog should bite or go for any child. Period. I would be fearful, also. They need to keep the dog away. But, the children also need taught about pets, age related. My young nephew and grandkids think my sister’s little dog is a play toy. They are being taught. They are YOUR children. No one has the right to interfere with your parenting unless abuse is involved

2 Likes

Find someone else to watch your kids if your not comfortable with it…

2 Likes

Lack of information makes it hard to give advice. How old was the child when the dog bit them? Was the child trying to eat their meal and fed the dog? Did the child reach into the dog dish while the dog was eating? Why not just ask that the dogs be kept away from the child when the child or dog is eating instead of the entire time.

It’s all about respect. My son and I went to an ex boyfriend of mine dads house he met my son for the first time and had a dog I had met seemed nice nothing aggressive towards me but as soon as I walked in with my son that dog had it for my son ended up in the er and he now has a forever scar on his lip the dog bit a little chunk of it anytime we went back over there the dog was locked up outside away from my son it’s respect and that was my wish for the dog to be out away when he would be with me there because they kept telling me he’s very friendly even plays with at the time a 10 year old autistic boy but for some reason had it out my son who was one at the time. But anyway what I’m getting at is it’s respect you’re the parent. And if she doesn’t want to then just find a new babysitter and have visits at your house so the dog isn’t a problem

If you’re taking the child to her house, you can’t expect her to keep the dog confined to an area, that is the dog’s home. Although your husband is her son, her only comfort might be the dog and the bond that they have can be a very strong one. She is not obligated to babysit grandkids, sure it’s nice if they do it, but she already raised her kids.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t want a dog around my kid after biting them. My mom has an older dog that sometimes can be a little mean specially if it’s hot or she’s being messed with(has never bit any of the kids) she puts her in the bedroom with ac if the kids are there just to make sure nothing happens.

2 Likes

Honestly if she is watching ur kids and u don’t approve of her dogs or anything than keep ur kids with u! Best way to know they are safe! Not being rude but u can’t make her change anything so just keep ur kids with u or find someone else to watch them!

cut her off from yourself than, but dont cut them off from their grandchildren??? you’re hubby can talk to them, you don’t have too if you feel disrespected. but if they’re good grandparents, why would you ever cut them off over your own crap drama with them. you’ve already decided you dont want a relationship with them by the sounds of it, so dont. but leave their relationship with the kids alone. boo hoo, a dog nipped your kid. teaches everyone. I’m sure this isnt a huge German shepherd, better anyways for your kid to learn to stay away from dogs while they’re eating anyways.

1 Like

I totally get what you mean cause I stay away from some places due to my son being scared of most dogs. But having said that, your mums house is the dogs home and if you are worried then don’t send your kids there

4 Likes

I LOVE dogs, and own two of my own. If for some reason, I am not able to personally supervise my dogs and young child together, they are separated.
My dogs are extremely well behaved, but my son loves to push the limits with everything, the dogs being one of those things.

I don’t blame you at all, I especially don’t trust dogs I didn’t train

If someone told me to keep my dogs locked up while their children are over, their children don’t need to come over. This is my dogs home.

5 Likes

Just find a new sitter. Easiest to just not have to deal with the dog being around them or them complaining that it’s been so stressful on them. 2 birds killed with one stone.

4 Likes

So, most dogs get put down (unfortunately) if they ever bite a child, even a nip. She should be thankful to still have her companion, and wouldn’t risk losing it by having it around the children again.

But seriously, new sitter. Don’t cut her off, but cut down on contact until you both chill

NAH
A dog bites my kid or even snaps at them? DONE
Someone doesn’t wanna respect my decision as the parent? GONE
Got me fucked up if you gonna come into MY HOUSE complaining because YOUR DOG harmed MY CHILD

Part of my concern is that it’s really hard for somebody outside of the situation to judge. Only you really know what is the biggest issue to focus on. I, too, some times get distracted and miss a dose of the meds I need to help keep me from over-reacting. However, just missing one dose seems like an odd reason to over-react. Perhaps yours are different from mine but it takes 2-3 missed doses for me to show a difference in my control. I hope you work it out, rationally, and come up with a plan that works better for everybody. Good luck.

This is gonna sound horrible and I respect everyone has their own opinions, feelings and beliefs. But personally I will not keep our rehome a dog that bites a child unprovoked especially over food. I will have it put down as I will not give the opportunity for it to happen again! I don’t trust that someone will take the warning as seriously as they should and would feel to much guilt knowing it could happen again. Call me heartless or whatever you want but dogs are supposed to protect the weak(a child) not attack them!

8 Likes

oh they’d hate to have me around cause for one, id have probably ended that dog the day it bit my kid. so i don’t blame you one bit… i’m weird about other peoples dogs being around my kids as it is let alone if it actually bit my kid. & two, if they came to my house snapping i’d be telling them their wish is granted they won’t be seeing my kids again so enjoy their shitty dog since it clearly means more to them then their grandchildren.

call me a shitty person but i truly don’t care. if you value the animal more then your grandkids then you’re an a**hole and that’s that lol. i wouldn’t even let my own dogs around if they hit my kid… they’d be gone the second it happened.

If I didn’t want my kids around someone else’s dog I…wouldn’t take my kids to the DOG’S home
You know damn well kids are stressful and she’s been watching them for 6 months to help you out
I know some people will think my analogy is stupid since we’re talking about a dog BUT this is like you wanting her to choose watching your children for free over her own child

I’d find another sitter tbh.
It’s her house. Her dog. You can’t make her. Are you paying her? Or is she sitting for free?
I wouldn’t be comfortable either, especially if the dog already bit a kid. I’d find someone else to watch the kids.

3 Likes

My SIL has an unruly lab that I refuse to allow my daughter around. Barely trained to be social. The dog is towering over my toddler and trying to lick her face and my daughter is clearly uncomfortable. “OH! but my puppy LOVES children!” Umm… but my child does not like to be bullied for attention by your “loving” dog!

3 Likes

My Mother’s dog bit my son once. I wanted the dog away from my son. Time went by and the darn dog bit my son again. He needed stitches in his face. He was 2.5 yrs old. He was completely terrified of dogs for years and I feel horrible for not protecting my baby. Follow you gut.

3 Likes

Crazy these people justify putting animals above children. Smh

13 Likes

She doesn’t have to confine the dog in HER home. Just don’t take the kids over there. Let her visit at your house so the dog isn’t an issue. As for a babysitter? She doesn’t owe you that. No grandparent is obligated to babysit grandchildren.
Sorry for sounding harsh, but the truths the truth.

20 Likes

It’s her house and her dog. You need to find someone else to babysit your kids. You feel disrespected but by the way she came at you she feels the same exact way. Helping with the children and on top of it having requests about her dog then mentioning having a bad day when she has the same by watching your kids. You should still stand by not letting your kids around the dog but find another sitter.

8 Likes

That is the dog’s house, not yours and not your kids’… If you don’t like the way they do things you can find someone else to watch your kids. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

I would’ve had the dog put down if it had bit my kid :woman_shrugging:t3: and NOBODY is gonna disrespect me in MY house.

8 Likes

Your in-laws aren’t required to disrupt their lives to watch your children.

5 Likes

You completely understand you being upset about the dog nipping or biting your son but you cannot expect her to put her dogs up in her home. That is the dog’s house not your child’s and I know that sucks but the dog doesn’t deserve to be locked up because your mother in laws babysitting your children

8 Likes

As a sitter, grandma or daycare, I have the responsibility to watch the children n provide a safe environment for them. If a child hits or bites another child, they are separated n watched… If I can’t guarantee safety, then something needs to change… I believe that goes for 2 or 4 legged…
Personally, If my “sitter” can’t provide a safe environment then the choice is easy they don’t watch them…

15 Likes

The dog lives at that house. If you want them to be watched at a home where the dog lives and the owner does not want to isolate the dog while your children are there, then you have a choice to make. I am a grandmother and if my dog bit my granddaughter who I do watch, I would not want the dog around her when she’s over but some people love their dogs as their children. My dogs are actually my daughter’s dogs so she may feel differently. As a mother you need to decide if you want them to watch your children or not but you cannot dictate what they do with their dog.

1 Like

children’s safty should come before any animal

8 Likes

People who choose their animals over children don’t deserve to have a relationship with the children they decided weren’t as important.:woman_shrugging:

1.) Her disrespectful attitude towards you made it very clear that she doesn’t care how YOU, the MOTHER, feel about it. She needs to remember that she’s watching YOUR kids. Your rules (and only your rules) apply. You asked for something simple. All you wanted was for the dog to be separated from your kids while you’re gone. She’s a nut job for being upset about that.
2.) She seems like she thinks watching your kids is a burden. That, “I don’t have to, but I still do,” bs is toxic af. People who say that typically mean, “I shouldn’t be doing this for you.” Family members who act that way should be cut off from your kids.They’re incapable of ever treating your children the way your children deserve to be treated. What kind of grandmother acts like this??? :rofl::roll_eyes:
3.) Your kid is just that…a kid…most kids DON’T KNOW not to mess with a dog while they eat. Kids aren’t born with a manual on how to tiptoe around a precarious animal. The kid simply didn’t know any better.
4.) Not only can you teach your kid not to mess with a dog while they eat, but you can also teach dogs not to bite. I’ve had a shih-tzu who knew better. :woman_shrugging: These people need to stop making excuses for their animals to be unpredictable baby-biters.
5.) Your kid is more important than a dog. Fff these people.

16 Likes

#Sounds like your overreacting because of your own issues not the dog or kids

9 Likes

or you could teach your kids how to be around dogs so it doesn’t happen again!!

12 Likes

My son almost lost his eye to my MIL dog so IMO no you aren’t wrong.

5 Likes

Depends did the dog like aggressively fo after the child for the food or just nip the hand while trying to grab the food from the childs hand? Instead of requesting they confine the dog while the child is there why not request that your child sit at the table or in a highchair while eating even snacks no food in the childs hand while on the floor if it was just a nip to the hand while trying to get the food chances are the dog didn’t mean to bite the child! And I would take some stress off grandma and not send the kids over so much bc ot sounds like she is 1 to old to handle children for long periods of time or 2 is watching them to much.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t let my in laws disrespect me like that, and the dog shouldn’t have been around the child while the child had food in their hand!!! That’s your in laws being irresponsible, if they got bit over food, and your child doesn’t have food then I don’t see the problem with the dog being around the child all though I wouldn’t trust your in laws to be watching properly tho….

1 Like

Depends, was it people food,or was your child near the dogs food? I have a dog and a toddler she knows not to go near the dogs food and water, and he knows not to snatch food. And as others have stated, it’s her house,the dogs house, that’s his domain, and your children are just in it, the dog shouldn’t have to be locked up or confined because you chose to have your in-laws watch babysit. My parents watch our daughter and has ,3 cats that are outside and inside, and a terrier, I would never tell them that lock up their animals up because my daughter was going to be at their house.

Find another sitter since she’s not worried about your children’s safety . She sounds like a nasty lady talking to you that way about your mental health issues in your home. If you decide to still speak to her she can come see the kids at your house and let her know she will not be speaking to you any old type of way. Your husband needs to speak up for you.

3 Likes

I lock my dogs away when I have my nephews. You know why? I know my dog has anxiety around kids and it’s easier on him to be away from them. It’s not hard, my own mother in law will not let certain dogs of hers around my sons because they have a tendency to bite and my son tends to forget that not all dogs love snuggles. If your mother in law will throw in your face how she is helping you then maybe it’s not worth her helping :woman_shrugging:t4: I wouldn’t cut off contact but definitely wouldn’t ask her to watch the babies if she values dogs over their safety

6 Likes

I mean, the fact that she said “this has been the most stressful 6 months of my life”, and you’re assuming that means since she started watching your children, THAT ALONE, would be enough of a reason for me to never ask her to watch them again. That’s just me though, I don’t want anyone around my kids who see them as a burden.
Also, you can’t tell someone what to do in their own home, with their own pets. Would I want my kids around a dog that bites? No, absolutely not. I wouldn’t tell my parents what to do with their dog though, or anyone else for that matter. I’d find a different person to care for my kids. That seems like the only logical way to go about handling this. As far as your relationship with the in-laws, it seems like a bunch of disrespect from both sides already, so I’d talk with your husband about your concerns and see what he thinks, and go from there. :woman_shrugging:t3:

8 Likes

My dog is not friendly when it comes to playing with a ball…I don’t allow my kids or other people who are not familiar with him to do so. Some dogs are funny with certain stuff. And I would rather be cautious then have to worry that my dog bit my 9 month old or 5 year old…or a stranger wanting to just play :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Tell her to get the F out of my house and not to worry about watching my children anymore

3 Likes

I don’t think you’re over reacting about the dog, if you don’t want the dog around your kids then that’s how you feel, but they also don’t have to watch your kids. If it was me, I would make other arrangements for childcare and just visit the in laws as normal family visits or have them come to you. Let them know that you want to salvage your relationship with them and if they’re stressed about your kids then that’s why you decided to make new arrangements.
Mind yourself and your mental health :heart:

3 Likes

Well did you have someone else that you trust to watch your children? It sounded being disrespectful went both ways.

3 Likes