Anyone else have a child who doesn't sleep at night?

Anyone else struggling with a baby who literally doesn’t sleep at night?! My little guy will be one month in 3 days. He literally is up all night long fussing. I feed him, give him a pacifier, swaddle him, clean his diaper, rock, bounce. Idk what I’m gonna do when I have to go back to work!

6 Likes

Try white noise it’s unbelievable

1 Like

Self soothe it’s hard but well worth it in the end.

Around the 3-month mark, your baby will start to sleep for longer stretches at night – which means you’ll also get a little more sleep than before. Baby sleep rhythms begin to develop at around 6 weeks, and most babies are developmentally capable of regular sleep-wake cycles by 3 to 6 months.

It sounds like your baby has its days and nights mixed up. My daughter did this…

2 Likes

Short or no naps during the day and a set bedtime routine. In bed at the same time every night.

Check for a milk allergy. A friend just went through the same thing. But my kid is 2 and has never slept through the night. Is up wanting a drink, cuddles, a bad dream, or just needing mom every single night four times a night.

1 Like

Yes, my little guy never slept through the night until he was 6 years old.

He hated swaddling. He had sensory processing issues and is autistic.

Those early baby days were rough.

My baby is the same way and he’s 4 months. He doesn’t sleep, he naps with one eye open :joy:

He’s only a month old. Try gripe water or gas drops, could be an upset tummy. Could be the formula he’s on. But he is still very young and he won’t sleep all night for a long time. My daughter is four months and still wakes up four times some nights. Some nights she will sleep longer stretches. But at that age they need to wake to eat. I agree try a white noise maker or download an app on your phone. It was the only thing that put my daughter to sleep when she was fighting it.

4 Likes

My son is also young 3 weeks Sunday and he doesn’t sleep at all at night. He has his days and nights mixed up, he is also a colicky baby his doctor said and we do gas drops and gripe water with no help… They are long sleepless nights and days as he screams pretty much 24/7 but they will come to an end eventually my doc said probably around 3 months it will calm down some

It’s possible that he’s hungry.

Pretty normal for a one month old. You just have to be consistent and he’ll even out when it’s right for him.

2 Likes

For my daughter, using a sound machine helped and a bassinet that rocked. A swing helped her fall asleep too. I hope you find a good solution! I think it’s pretty normal for a 1 month old to have a crazy sleep schedule

Yep! It was horrible & I worked full time. I developed postpartum badly. My only advice is to ask for help before you need it.

Being only a few weeks old, this is totally normally. Babies very rarely start sleeping long periods of time that young.

1 Like

My soon to be 12 year old STILL doesn’t ever sleep… my 3 year old will sleep till noon like me…

Self soothing starts at 6 months so avoid it until then. It can cause trauma early on.
Most kids wont sleep thru the night at a month. Mine didnt at all.
We slept in the recliner, him in the crook of my arm. I did that until about 3m when he awoke and scratched me in my eyeballs and nose :joy:
After that, he slept in his own bed and usually slept all night.
Just be patient momma.

Both my kids had horrible nights my 8 year old had night terrors when she turned 1 and every hr she was waking up screaming and yelling at her pillow or blankets mad cuz the tag was there or sleep walking it was scary some times her doc said shed grow out of it and it has gotten better she now only has 1 a week now but my 2 year old does the same thing not as bad but still a couple a night right now i get up at 430 for work and go to bed late and still get up through the night with both of them i get maybe 3 -2 hours of sleep its hard trust me but u can do it it gets easier my body learned to go with out alot of sleep lol

Try putting the baby near the window during the days for naps that way they can distinguish night from day. I did this with both of my kids who are now 3 and 5 they both slept well when they hit the 3 month mark. They would still get up about 1 pr 2 times a night to feed but they slept much longer.

1 Like

I would give a massage, i would put on lavender lotion(not touching the baby) and idk if your breastfeeding or formula but formula is heavier on the stomach. If your breast feeding i would say maybe add an ounce of formula after you breast feed

My oldest didn’t sleep through the night till he was 3 months and my twins didn’t sleep through the night till they were 2 years old. It happens unfortunately…get naps when you can!!

My friend took her baby to a chiropractor and it’s helped tremendously. I had never heard of such a thing before.

Instead of swaddling try skin to skin in a recliner or snuggle up crosslegged in a big chair/on the couch where you can trust the position your in if you fall asleep. Also my 1 yo loved the Mamaroo as a lil baby if you’re able to get one. You can try different movements and sounds to see what works during the day. Have one spot for daytime naps and the crib/bassinet for bedtime.

No matter what your able to do, find someone who can help for a couple hours and go rest. There’s no shame in asking for help. You are a great mom!

My husband and I used to turn on the TV in the bedroom, and put on YouTube, and play this all night long. Worked like a charm, you should try it https://youtu.be/4q393PX6OcU

1 Like

Mix alittle cereal with his milk

2 Likes

My daughter slept in her swing for the first 6 months of her life

That’s normal for a one month old unless he is crying from discomfort or hunger. Otherwise just make sure baby doesn’t have any blankets or anything dangerous around him and get yourself a white noise machine and get your sleep mama!

My first daughter sleep threw the night after the first 3 weeks. My second daughter is almost 3 months old and is still waking up every 3 hours to eat. Just give it time :heart: it will happen.

…you got a good 3 years till you start getting any real sleep again lol

2 Likes

One of those things unfortunately. Dont quickly turn to medication for wind . Wind him that extra bit longer . If u are breast feeding . Maybe look into a top up at night . He may just be hungry. Babies wake up every 3 hours til they are 8 months usually . Routine yourself and he will follow xx

My oldest didn’t sleep through the night until almost 2. Welcome to parenthood.

1 Like

Thats pretty common for a 1 month old. They typically start to sleep better somewhere between 3-6 months old.
But unfortunately some don’t sleep well for years. My first became a better sleeper around 1, second was up every single hour until she was 18 months old and then was still a terrible sleeper until she was 4. My third is 2 and wakes up a lot still. And I have had them all on the same bedtime routine since my oldest (9 almost 10) was a baby. Somehow your body just adjusts to the lack of sleep.

My son did not sleep for the first few years. I finally took him to a chiropractor…perfect!!
He was much calmer and slept thru the night

Try mommy’s bliss gripe water and I also did colief (with doctors approval) it helped immensely with my son and he was so so colicy that he kept me up over 24 hours a couple times.

does he sleep all day?

1 Like

Or maybe he has Colic

Do he have gas issues?

Welcome to parenthood. I went thru the same thing. I walked, did the Indian dance thing, drove her around, sang bounced rocked…I was exhausted. My husband stood between me and the nursery door and wouldn’t let me go in. She cried herself out and that happened 3 days and then I was free!!! Once she learned I wasn’t coming she just started going to sleep. It was wonderful. Try it. It breaks your heart at first, but she can comfort herself. God bless

My 18-month-old still does not sleep through the night she wakes up throughout the night often sucks cries I give her her sake she goes back to sleep for maybe an hour back awake I know you’re feeling

1 Like

Please don’t use cereal in the bottle, his digestive system is too immature for that, if you use formula you may need to try something different for intolerances, if you breastfeed then you may need to try eliminating things from your diet that could be causing stomach pain/reflux and discomfort that interrupts sleep, the three most common intolerances are dairy, soy and eggs.

4 Likes

My almost 3 month old did the same for 2 1/2 months. I switched his milk twice. Last 2 weeks to Nutramigen and he has been good for the last 6 days. He even slept almost 6 hrs last night for the first time.

Did you burp him??! Srsyly forgot that. 3rd time Mom, 8 years later, nurses gave a good burping and I was like …oh yea! I was so focused on so much I’d forget to burp.

1 Like

My daughter did that too. I turned the vacuum on one day just to clean, to my surprise she stopped crying :joy::joy: lol. So every time she cried and I couldn’t figure out why I turned the vacuum on. Lol. It worked every time.

2 Likes

id say it could be colic, i dealt with colic and reflux when my daughter was younger and the crying was nonstop sometimes, definitely talk to your pediatrician and please don’t give them rice cereal unless actually recommended by the doctor. maybe even just try a warm bath and leg stretches before bedtime to try to pass some gas, it might help him sleep a little more comfortably.

The 4th trimester is so real. Babies in the first few months need those extra love and snuggles. Is your baby BF or formula fed? We ended up in formula, and my baby was so fussy until we found one that worked for him! It made all the difference.
He may also have days/nights mixed up.

3 Likes

Try swaddling him or her in a blanket with your sent on it. Play music that you listened to when pregnant.

My son was like this as a baby. We eventually tryd white noise and it helped! He doesn’t sleep very well still and he’s 5 but white noise helped alot

My youngest didn’t sleep for 3.5 years. You get through it. He is 19 now, and sleeps all over my house anytime of the day. This too shall pass, best I can tell ya :raised_hands:t2:

My son is 3 years old and he is still the same. Just put him back to bed for the 11th time lol :laughing:. If baby is fussy, keep them on your chest on belly while you sit back a bit. Could be acid reflux causing babe to be fussy :heart:

1 Like

First off. I’m sorry :tired_face:

Second, sometimes it’s just who they are and no sleep programs or anything are gonna help. BUT. My mom has told me, I was a terrible crying baby (thanks to anxiety we found out later when my anxiety became recognized lol), and it was SAME everything. Same bottle (I hated breast because I couldn’t control flow and temp, I still have control issues at 34 :joy:), same pacifier, same blanket, same, same, same.

Routine. Walk in the evening (hard in winter I know), bath, lotion, jammies, bottle, lullabies, swaddle, bed in a dark dark room and white noise machine. Every. Single. Night.

Also, I’m a rule breaker (and my doctor knows this). Both my babies are blankie binky babies. They slept in a rock and play next to my bed until 6 months old, swaddled with a blanket wrapped so their little face could feel it. Then, when moved to crib and able to roll over, both had zip-a-dee zip suits and went to bed with a blankie :woman_shrugging:t3: my baby girl is now 8 months old and CANNOT sleep without her the blank. The minute her hands feel it she pulls it right to her face and snuggles it.

I’m sorry you’re going through this, I hope it passes soon. Good thing is, infants have a shelf life. It doesn’t last long until they are onto the next chapter.

F**K the Fourth Trimester

My babies and my daughters baby had milk allergies put them on prosobbe soy formula and voila. Don’t hesitate to ask your pediatrician but this could be the culprit

3 Likes

My daughter was like this we started giving her baths every night and keeping her up as much as possible ! Good luck to you mama!

1 Like

Skin to skin contact! Mmmm snuggles, that’ll do it

It me. I’m that child lol

Time to call the doctor.

My kids use to do this. I would take them on the stroller around 7 pm for a few blocks & since it’s cold outside. Warm milk & a car ride. Like go get some cheese fries girl.

3 Likes

Might have colic look it up it might be gas or he might have he’s days nights mixed up

2 Likes

I used a white noise app, and changed bottles brands. He loved the vacuum.

White noise/exhaust fan, and ask his father to help you, make sure you also get some rest. It would get better. You can do this mama :muscle::muscle::muscle:

Yep , l would agree .

My 3 and a 1/2 year old very rarely sleeps through the night

I have a soon to be 11 month old that still doesn’t sleep through the night. Good luck to you!

You can also put a fish tank motor in a bowl for noise

Wow do you not know anything about a newborn

Put a tsp of rice cereal in his bottle

1 Like

Yeah that’s what a newborn does.

My first had terrible reflux. Slept great only in the swing on incline

What about changing the formula?

You move to another first world country where you get at least a year of maternity leave. Then you can focus

My youngest slept on my chest half the time until he was like 12weeks lol. We had to put a pillow under his mattress to recline him coz he had reflux. My oldest would settle in crib but woke every 3-4 hours. Youngest started sleeping through the night around 3months old I would just wake him for a feed around 11 before I went to bed. Oldest slept all night from 7/8 weeks old. He was drinking plenty of milk throughout the day

My one month old only cried if she was hungry or pooped. I would reccomend a trip to pediatrcian to rule out anything going unnoticed. Then once you know baby is physically healthy try swaddling, white noise, and baby swing if baby will sleep in swing.

Don’t rush your baby when you are winding them just take your time, sit baby on your lap and put babies cheeks under into your open palm thumb and pointing finger let baby sit up and rub your hand firmly from the bottom to the babies shoulders do this slowly and maybe baby may bring up wind that baby hasn’t been able to.

Have you tried a swaddle him? My son always slept so much better in one. I don’t recommend if baby is rolling over.

My daughter didnt sleep through untill she was 2
Its normal especially baby being so tiny

White noise , they’re used to noise through the day and pregnancy and then at night its all quiet and not used to it

Mine slept better thur the night when I cut down then cut out day naps maybe cut a nap the afternoons can be hard but they sleep better and if mine do still have the odd nap I wake them by 4.30 do tea shower stories and go to bed a tad later but sleep good during the night now.

The baby needs to be sleep trained. Please check out YouTube videos on how to sleep train a newborn.

Lay him on his blanket put his arm down to his side wrap him smi tight in his blanket and put him on his tummy the doctor told me they still feal like thier in the wumbpat thier blacks till they go to sleep and they will sleep all night r mine did

When my kids were that little they only slept on me at night otherwise they wouldn’t sleep.

He may be colic, talk to your pediatrician about it.

3 Likes

Sounds like your little one may be gassy.

All babies are different. First. Check with the dr. If everything is okay. I’ll probably try different noises? Music. Lights. But, I’ve noticed one of my child didn’t sleep well and then and no not the reason but I think it helped. Wearing moby wrap during the day extremely helped my child to sleep better at night. Maybe check into it and take naps while your baby does. It helps with late nights.

Omg all these people so experienced I feed both of mine a little oatmeal cereal before bed they slept all night they are now 36 and 40 and are healthy so there’s that