Anyone else parent with a mental illness?

Try genesight testing to see what meds would work best foe you. See a counselor. It takes a while sometimes to find the right combo if meds for you. Mental illness is so hard, but your not a bad mom just for having it. Do your best and make sure your LO is cared for even if yoy cant always be the one to do it.:green_heart:

2 Likes

So you manage to keep it together to go to school, but you can’t be a parent? Not understanding :confused:

3 Likes

I had to cut back what I could do and establish loving boundaries for myself, which included very limited working hours to none when in school. You can get disability accomodations for this by the way. And your college should have a disability office. Contact them. They can provide accomodations relevant to your diagnosis. If you’re going to school you can increase your amount of student loans so you don’t work as well. Disabled students do have other resources too. You will need to establish a self care routine, which includes mental health care. I also found a spiritual and meditation practice including shadow work had profound positive effects for me. Psychedelic/plant medicine healing worked too. Love yourself enough to find and get the healing you need. As for your family, they need be more supportive in my opinion.

1 Like

Those who don’t suffer from mental health will not understand what you are going through. That being said, EVERY mother wonders if she is a good parent! I have depression and anxiety and PTSD from past abusive relationships and some days are harder than others with my little one. Try to take each day as it comes, don’t hold guilt for what you didn’t get done (it won’t change anything) and end the bad days with the phrase " that was a rough day, let’s try for a better day tomorrow" and let that be your motto. Nothing lasts forever and we all get bogged down in how we are not measuring up instead of accepting what we can do and focusing on the little things. If your family is not supportive try to spend less time around them because if you hold negative people who are more interested in telling you what is the problem than they are not part of the solution. There are no perfect parents in this world, especially not on social media so work out what works for you and your child, they will grow up so do some fun things while they want to, go for a walk around the neighbourhood looking for flowers or count how many birds you see and what colours they have. Your child just wants you, give them your love and the rest will follow. Good luck xx

1 Like

The child did not ask to be born, you brought her in to this world. So you make time for her. No one said being a mom was easy. If you work and do school, you can take time for her. Having mental health problems, can be a challenge but medication can help, be you have to want to get up and go. No pill is going to cure all the issues. That little one is the only one who is going to truly love you more then anything.

4 Likes

I have mental illnesses. Thank goodness they didn’t kick in really bad till I was in my 40s. But I did have some trouble when I was younger. If at all possible, get into a mental health clinic. See a therapist. Take your meds, even if you think they don’t help. It takes 4-6 weeks to see a difference after beginning meds. It can take time for your provider to find the right med cocktail to work for you. Also, take vitamins. Make sure you eat healthy food. Get enough sleep. And, I’m afraid you have to take yourself firmly in hand and make yourself spend time with your daughter. Even if it’s just watching TV in your bedroom to start with, then playing cards sitting on your bed. You have to do it. Your little girl will love you for it. You can graduate to doing more things as you get therapy and your meds start working. It’s not easy. I know. I struggle sometimes to spend time with my grandchildren. But I make myself do it. I don’t want them to have bad memories of me. Nana may have been a quiet lady, but she liked to watch cartoons and she knew lots of card games!

Get back on meds. Alot of the times we can’t see the difference the meds make but our family and friends can!! My hubby can usually tell if I’ve missed a day or two, even when I feel “fine/normal”

2 Likes

Go back to the Dr, try different meds, trust me. From someone with major depression, the meds DO help, when they are the RIGHT meds.

1 Like

I have 3 kids and they all suffered from my depression and anxiety😔 I tried so many different meds till I found one that helped and did years of therapy still my kids suffered😔 I wasn’t a bad mom and I was always there but It wasn’t enough. Because of it they didn’t get to do things other kids did😔 It’s affected them a lot and now they struggle with anxiety and depression. If I had it to do over again I would have just gone to church and got them involved early. I struggled with that the first 3 yrs of my twins lives and still do . They’re 13 now and more then ever I wish they had that. I teach them about God but it’s not enough😔 Take your daughter to church!Pray and teach her to pray because prayer is literally the only thing that got more through the rough days! Your not alone and your not a bad mom

1 Like

You most likely need to be seen by a mental health therapist who can offer counseling along with medication that works for you.

3 Likes

Don’t listen to the negative and hateful comments. Obviously you are working and going to school to give her the best life. I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and postpartum depression after my second son was born and at the time my boys dad and I were going through some stuff and I worked 2 jobs and felt awful because I wasn’t spending enough time with them. It made my depression worse, trying all kinds of medications made it worse, but I pushed through. If I felt so anxious and sad I couldn’t leave the house id try to at least paint with them, cook with them. Just little things, but even little things can make a child’s day. Don’t make yourself feel worse by overthinking it. Things happen in life we can’t control. Just do your best. Even if you have to lay in bed and have a make-up and nail party with her. Don’t get discouraged. You will get through this :heart:

4 Likes

You are doing the best you can with the cards you’ve been dealt. You’re doing great momma. Hopefully you can find meds that help because you shouldn’t have to live with depress and anxiety. Try different ones. In the meantime just do the best you can till you get better and be proud for the things you can do. Good luck!

Iv bpd and ptsd and took over 3 years to get diagnosed and on correct meds but even now 7 yrs later they need adjusting… You absolutely must speak to your doc or mh teamxx

1 Like

Look, I learned mom’s come in different capacities, some are mentally ill, addictions, disabled, fat, thin, however, we might be our 100% at being parents those little kids look to their parents as heroes. They look for you for comfort, and we might be to tired to read that bedtime story, or give them their nightly bath. But, no one can replace you as their parent. Do the best you can. Find what works for you. But, never compare your situation for someone else.

5 Likes

l get paid over $125 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18150 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Details HERE… https://onlinehomejobbiz6.neocities.org/

Please see a doctor and get the RIGHT meds. The correct combo will make a world if difference

3 Likes

you know you can’t just stop your medicines!!! See your Dr & discuss this. Which you should be seeing one anyway at least once a month if not more to begin with & if not, see one that does this !!!

1 Like

Just pray :pray: and keep praying to God to guide you and lead you to the right path…Most times when you find it difficult to go to bed and sleep just go on your knees and pray to God…He will never fail a sincere caller who needs help :pray:

My mom major bipolar and anxiety. Couldnt be there for us more than not.

Sometimes it takes trying a lot of meds to find the one that works best for you. It can take time and feel like a struggle. The right meds are life changing though.

1 Like

Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? You definitely need a therapist. Also, there are a lot more medication options than 10 years ago. If you can, find a psychopharmacologist to help you find the right meds. Those two things will make a world of difference.

I have mental illnesses however that has NEVER gotten in the way of me being a good mom. Priorities. Mom first always. People make time for what they truly want to make time for. Sounds like you need to sit down and prioritize your life. If that does not work then please go back to a psychiatrist as there are so many different medications that they can give you to help. I know that I have a hard time taking meds I just have my Priorities in order.

1 Like

Try researching ashwagandha. It’s a herbal supplement. It might help. My daughter just started taking it for anxiety but has other benefits too. It can improve sleep quality.

1 Like

Young one - it’s a tough world - your baby is healthy, and is in a safe environment. You are a good mom. I suffer with a few imbalances on top of PTSD. You need to do some research and find a holistic medical Doctor. Find someone you can talk to and help you on this journey. I have a Huge family - and a few of us have imbalances- it’s taken all of us time and the right doctor who walks us through this process.

No one says I’m a bad mom but I feel like I am. Like I’m not setting a good example on how to be a functioning adult. They tell me every parent feels that way. Idk. I’m sorry you’re struggling.

2 Likes

Oh god yes i have postpartum on top of ptsd possibly adhd and im a bad mom friend person because my sister died this weekend and i cant keep it together even for my kids.

I have depression. I take Zoloft. Prior to taking Zoloft, I had days where I just couldn’t get out of bed, even to play with my kids. It was overwhelming. It made me feel guilty which made the depression worse and around and around it went. Some things I did were pizza and movie in mom’s bed, letting them play dress up with my stuff, listening to upbeat music and watching them dance… They were with me, I could keep an eye on them, I was still spending time with them.
I still have an occasional day, but medication is ultimately what helped me the most.
You got this :heart:

1 Like

Bad mothers don’t feel bad, remember that :heart:

It can take a while to get the right meds and dosages…sometimes weeks and months. Do not give up. Get some therapy too. Also educate your family on these conditions. Try wilderness therapy.