Anyones toddlers have to get a lead test done?

Has anyone had their two year old do a venous lead test? Can I get away with not doing it and lowering his lead levels at home instead

6 Likes

Wtf. Test them and do whatever the doctor says, and whatever is necessary to get them healthy.

14 Likes

I would just do the test. It’s not harmful.

No seriously If they have high led levels it can cause brain damage

6 Likes

Sure risk your kid having brain damage.

6 Likes

Absolutely not. Refusing a lead test when there is suspicion of high levels of lead can cause child protective services to get involved for child endangerment. I’ve worked a case that involved refusal of lead testing and the child was removed from the home. A lead test was then done and they found the child did have high levels of lead. Immediate action was taken to lower the levels.

Trying to do this at home without getting tested can cause issues to the child including brain damage. Why would you even risk that?

13 Likes

If its high enough your required to have it done…then you do a lead test in your home to find out where its coming from they treat the exposure areas and it goes away and levels go down naturally…but just not testing is not the answer…ive gone thru this twice…

1 Like

No you can not. It is required most places for even daycare and mandatory for school. Why would you not want to get it done? My kids had it done and my youngest had to have it twice bc the lab lost her results.

3 Likes

And the reason they ask for a venous draw is to establish the exact read as the finger stick isn’t as accurate you need to know how badly your child may be being effected…

This is such a dumb question smh my son was tested at 1 and a half and was level 28 cause of the hom ei was renting he know has adhd odd and learning disabilities you better get that kid checked

4 Likes

nope! all 3 of mine never had it done

My daughter has had 2 done, one at 1 and then 2

Do not put it off. Lead is serious. If your home has a high enough level of lead, it’s important that you get your child out of that house.

4 Likes

You should get it done but I did n them putting the Needle in my child’s arm to find a vein while I bear hugged her was traumatic for me n her but I chose to get it done

2 Likes

It is just a blood test. Yes not fun but better then playing a guessing game…

4 Likes

My son tested high and i really fought getting him the iv test but then we got a letter from the state. He tested fine when he got the iv test though.

Seriously? In most states it required by LAW to get it anyways before kindergarten so get your child tested! I cannot believe this was even a question

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of this lol I’m in the uk

I have personally never heard of this lead testing maybe thats because my children doctor has never talked to me about it but if your doctors are saying it needs to be done most likely its for a good reason i would just go and get it done to be safe you know also shame to those women who just want to put her down she asked for advice not to be called names and be belittled we are all mamas trying to do the best for our children and sometimes its scary for us when it comes to tests and hospitals those are our babies just a little ridiculous to me to see so much hate. Keep on doing your best mama! Im sorry i couldnt give you more advice when it comes to this lead testing but im sure you will get it done and feel much better when you know your child is safe afterwards! :blush:

1 Like

My first son I never went when they gave me the paperwork. We weren’t concerned because our house was built after they stopped using lead paint. Nobody ever questioned why I didn’t take him. My 2nd son we had different insurance & when I didn’t take him, they demanded it or we would lose coverage. I thought it would be very traumatic, but he didn’t even flinch. Never cried. Good luck with whatever you decide.

As a parent who just went through having a toddler diagnosed as “lead poisoned” I beg you to please do this test!!!
If you are suggesting that you may need to “lower his levels” by yourself at home, PLEASE do this test!
I raised my older daughters in my house so I thought nothing of bringing a new baby into the same house- even after 11 years. My toddler was diagnosed lead poisoned almost 2 years ago. We now have a real reason for her delays. The health department in my area was amazing help. They got me enrolled in a grant program and the state came in and safely removed all of the lead from my home.
*** give your toddler a daily multivitamin and yogurt to help lower lead levels, but please get this test done.

3 Likes

Mine had to have done when younger one was done at health department and drs. Cuz didn’t realize one didn’t have done.

2nd child done at drs

They always do a lead test. It’s just routine. Ours was a toe prick.

In Michigan if your child is on Medicaid or part of wic it is a requirement to have them lead tested at around a year old.

If your child is in pre school. They typically have it as one of the routine screenings. When I worked at Headstart we would do a quick finger pick. When my daughter went to the Dr to get hers they wanted to strap her down and draw blood, she was so small at the time, I couldn’t do it. They just gave me a flyers of potential sources and symptoms to keep an eye out for.

Yes. The nurse told me sometimes the finger prick comes back high & that the venous way was more accurate. It was her first time with a blood draw & she did amazing.

think is mandatory- both my kids had the test before kindergarten-they’re now 32&33 - in Illinois

Think this should be asked to your dr x

It’s mandatory in MD

If you don’t want to get it done then tell your child’s doctor “no” unless there is cause for concern that he may have high levels. My daughter didn’t get it because the first 2 times they tried, they couldn’t find her vein, (weak veins run in the family) so instead of continuously torturing her I said no and her doctor didn’t seem overly concerned by my saying no. It’s your choice, if you want to get it you can and if you don’t then tell them no. If you live in a newer house then the chance of him having high lead levels is probably low.

My daughter did and she had lead poisoning , it can be serious for the child if he has it , she had to take a really strong liquid vitamin (,prescription)to get rid of it . You don’t want to do that on your own because you could overdose the child . Of course that was about 30 years ago so it could be different now.

2 Likes

My Ped office does a lead check at 9months and again at the 2yr check up If you live in a house older than 1960 or whatever year it is when lead paint or pipes weren’t used anymore. I have gotten it done for my son each time and I personally wouldn’t skip it!

1 Like

no. my grandson had high levels so the city sent out a inspector who found toxic levels in the porch ceiling which had to be professionally removed. it slowed down his development for months.

I believe all children get this test… why wouldn’t you want to get it?? It’s non invasive and don’t you want to know if there’s lead in your child’s system??

4 Likes

If you think his levels may be elevated I think you should have the test. For his sake, your own peace of mind, and any one else who may have had lead exposure.

why just why would you take a chance with your child that way??? wow. I just can’t…

2 Likes

No, I wouldn’t. Lead can cause all kinds of problems in children including developmental and mental issues. Get the test. Do what your doctor recommends.

3 Likes

Does he have high lead levels? Why would you want to lower at home instead if you don’t know what his level is? Get the test. Do what your Dr recommends or find another, but any pediatrician will want to do the test.

2 Likes

All my children have done lead test at their 1,2,3 physicals but it’s standard procedure and then if it’s high they redo it until it’s lower

1 Like

Why would you want to skip it?..

2 Likes