Are my kids old enough to walk home from school?

I live across the street from my childs school and wouldn’t let her walk.

Not in this day and age. They are just letting pedos live a crossed from schools, letting rapists live in the same place. We just had a 6 year old boy at a complex I used to live at who was grabbed from the apartment complex play ground and dragged into an empty unit and raped. The mom had just went inside to grab something and came out to the boy gone.

If the school isn’t to far and they have atreet smarts then ya definently i cant stand this day and time where parents are all up their kids asses as long as they know the way to get home and stay together then ya why not

It’s a dangerous world out there. I’d worry too much.

1 Like

I think this completely depends on where you live. I live in a sleepy little neighborhood where all the kids walk to and from the nearby schools. We have great crossing guards and it’s all quiet upscale residential in the area. We live two blocks from the elementary and four from the middle school. All the kiddos walk or ride bikes, scooters or skateboards. My kids love walking. When they were younger I did have the older kiddos walk them to and from or I would walk them. But after 3rd grade they all walk in groups. In other neighborhoods I can definitely see how this might not be something I would do. So consider where you live and if other kids in the neighborhood are walking? Are your kids mature enough? Best of luck :heartpulse:

1 Like

Depends where you live. I’d be ok with it in my area

Really depends on your kids and your instincts… My daughter could by 5th grade, but she’s always been very precocious, street smart and strong. My son in 1st is still very much a baby.

1 Like

Idk I personally wouldn’t let my boys at that age walk because I new they couldn’t handle it but that my kids 🤷 every kid is different and only you know if your 4th graders can handle the responsibility of getting her and her siblings home safely 🤷…hope you figure it out. Good luck!

It depends on the neighborhood, the traffic, and your kids and their abilities. If you feel that they would stay safe, stick together and be able to get home safely then you should do what you feel is right. If there is one single doubt in your mind (which I believe there is since you posted here) I wouldn’t do it.

They would probably be safer just waiting for you at the school.

2 Likes

No no no to young…
Not these days.

If it’s that close, you are better off picking them up at school on your way home. Them sitting and waiting is safer!

I walked the same distance as a kid but I wouldnt have my kids do it. I feel like there is a risk and my kids are too valuable for me to risk it. Any chance a neighbor has a high schooler that would walk with them?

Absolutely, they need experience and be trusted to take care of each other. They need life skills and be taught how to stay safe

1 Like

I literally live on the same street as my kids school. P2 and p7 they walk to an from school everyday no problem. My oldest used to walk with them but he started high school now.

I’ll have them wait in the office if it’s only a few minutes apart

1 Like

I feel like that’s a little to young to be walking home alone. My son is 8 and in the 3rd grade and he can’t even get off the bus if a parent or his older brother (13) is there to get him and his bus stop is at the end of our driveway, so no I don’t think your kids are old enough to walk home alone. PLUS there are far too many stories in the news involving children. I really wouldn’t want to take the chance of, God forbid, something happening. Just pick them up.

Personally I wouldn’t even think :thinking: to put my children in that type of situation because anyone can grab them and the oldest kid if he’s left behind he’s going to feel guilt don’t let that happen if you’re worried about them leave a few minutes early for work or tell them to wait at the school for you but the person I couldn’t do it

1 Like

Do you live in a big city? Man that’s so young tho it’s a crazy time with all the human trafficking! Whatever decision you make please have a way to make sure they are safe! Do you have neighbors that could walk with them? School bus maybe?

Noooooo…don’t do it!!! :pray:t4::pray:t4:

Crossing the road isn’t the only issue god have mercy DO not and I mean do not!!! let you kids watch by themselves!! Do you know how many children are taken every year !! Horrible horrible things happen god have mercy please be more careful that’s very dangerous

So I did when I was the oldest as a 4th grader. It was a straight way…I had a cell phone.
My mom asked the cross walk if she would watch us for as far as she could see and my neighbor to watch us as far as they could see. It wasn’t the safest, imo, but she did what she had to do. & I believe that cross walk and the neighbor did care about our safety.

You know your neighbourhood and in all fairness, if there wasn’t any doubt in their safety, you wouldn’t have asked🤷🏼‍♀️ imo when it comes to being out on the streets, children should not be responsible for children. Children are too easily distracted and that’s not their fault. If something should happen and the eldest was chatting to someone else, would they be getting in trouble and yelled at? Made to feel responsible for the incident/accident? If so that’s not fair. Their minds are not geared up to sensible rational responsible thinking. If it’s for the sake of 5/10 minutes, speak to school to say you will be collecting but they may have to wait a few minutes for you

Not these days unless they are with a large group. I walked to school from the first grade. It was safe. Times however have changed. More people out there that snatch kids. It’s a sad world

No way, they are too young. You said you get home just after they would get home so can’t you pick them up from school.

Yes. And it does show them responsibility. Also you have older kids to watch out for the younger ones. When I was in 1st grade I walked a mile with my little brother who was in kindergarten.

My kids do and we live 2 blocks from the school. There are other older kids in the neighborhood and they walk together in a group. It really depends on how responsible you think your kids are

No. Have them stay at the school and you pick them up there. The school is usually open an hour or two after the students leave.
Times are rough. Children get kidnapped and crazy drivers. Not a good idea at the time.

3 Likes

We had a group of kids who walked home with two high school who lived next door. Never on there own

My daughter is 9 in 4th grade. No way in hell would I let her walk with 2 younger kids. I don’t even like her going to the end of our street to her friends house alone. I’m not willing to risk my kids life. Kids dissappear way to easy. Hell no!

1 Like

No especially if the kids are female I’d be worried af

4th grade is what like 9/10 years old. I would say yes if 4th grader wants to. 2nd grade is 6/7…

Not in a million years would my kids be walking anywhere on their own at that age.

7 Likes

No! Too many crazy people out there that would love to kid nap your kids.

1 Like

Sorry but no
Advise the school youll be a few minutes late because of work and have them wait there safely.
Todays world is not the same as the one we grew up in. They may be perfectly responsible children…but adults get snatched what chance do kids have

2 Likes

I as a parent did not allow. My middle school kids to walk to school . I don’t allow my high schooler to walk from the bus stop . 2 blocks away not in this crazy world . When I was young I begged my mom to let me and my brother walk home . She finally gave in . And guess what happen a 2 guys pulled up and tried to grab us fastest running I ever did in my life never again . And we were a group of 5 kids .

yes they are old enough…

Still a bit young imo

I personally wouldn’t let mine. My oldest is also in grade 4 and I don’t think he is ready

1 Like

No… Need to be teenagers . To dangerous…

I would make sure to walk the route with them a few times. Knowing where to go in case a emergency and having a phone with them and be on the phone with them to make sure everything is ok.

1 Like

Everyone is different! I live in a good neighborhood literally between both middle & high school. Most of the kids around here walk home, I’m maybe 2 min (driving)away from the schools. however, I have girls and am extremely over protective. They’re 16 & 12 and will never be allowed to walk. I could never forgive myself if something were to happen to them. This comes from my own experience being a child, walking home and literally would be hit on by grown men!! Even my son when the time comes wont be walking home, we live in a sick world!

So to answer your question, NO! 1st grade is way to young even with a 4th grader. I forgot to mention when my girls were in those grades I would walk to pick them up. One day 2 men pulled up and started following me, a grown woman, with my little girls. I had to tell my then 8yr old if anything happened to grab her sister and run like hell to the nearest house. Thankfully they saw I was aware of them and drove off fast.

I think there are many factors to this.
The town you live in. The neighborhood. If you know the neighborhood and neighbors. How many other kids are walking. I don’t think it is one size fits all.

I live in a small town. You can see the middle school/high school from my house. It is all one building. And the elementary is only 3 blocks away. There are lots of people around at the end of the school day. I know my neighbors. They know my kids. There are lots of kids out walking. Especially since I am so close to the school. And not to mention the teens driving.

All of this plays a part.
I think if you are comfortable it is probably okay. If it wasn’t okay you wouldn’t even consider it.

3 Likes

I wasn’t allowed to walk home until 5th grade, I had to walk my dads wife at the time home from school to prove that I could remember my route, it also gave them a time frame for reference to know how long it should take me to walk home from the bus stop. My dad also had talked to all the close/trust worthy neighbors of my schedule. I had multiple adults who looked for me while I walked home and I had no idea. Kept me safe :heart: the world wasn’t kind when I was a kid and I sure had my fair share of creepy encounters. However, I had adults around me who watched me and hovered. Saved my butt multiple times from creeps, and I came from what’s considered a legal village at the time because our town population wasn’t large enough for the state to call it a city. If you’re in a heavily populated area, I would recommend having someone pick them up until they are able to drive themselves, just to be extra safe​:heart: xoxo mama

No to young easy for pickup bye strangers

4th grader maybe the other 2 nope

2 Likes

My daughter was walking home in 1st grade. We lived three blocks away in a small town with no major roads to cross. Can you give them a phone to talk to you on while walking home, or so that you can see them walking? I think if you can practice it, and the oldest is present, it would be fine

1 Like

No I dont think they are…

This is dependent of several factors, but your kids, your choice!

Depends on how mature 4th grader is, and the neighborhood.

1 Like

Every situation is different

When I was a kid I walked farther…1st grade but I don’t know small town different time

2 Likes

If they all meet at the gates after school and walk together then maybe? If you trust them to do this. Personally I feel their still a little to young but it’s your choice there your children. Does the eldest have a phone for emergency use?

No way! Watch the ID Discovery channel. It will show you terrible true stories. Today I saw one where a 14 year old girl was abducted and killed 2 blocks from school on her way there. It just isn’t worth the risk. Too many crazy people. Maybe you can hire a teenager to accompany them? Or if you know of another mom you can help each other with.

Also when I was in first grade I was almost abducted after school and my brother who was 3 years older than me saved my life. Just too dangerous

1 Like

The question is , if a stranger , older kid etc approached them how would they react?
Can the little one be protected and should that responsibility be put on the oldest?
Personally I would wait , until the smallest is able to make choices under pressure or on their own.
It’s just not worth it.
What you could do is meet them half way and discuss things that they could do in a bad situation or show options to prepare for when they are ready.

4 Likes

No. Either you have them wait to get picked up. Or talk with one of their friends mom see about them taking them home for you. Or put them on the bus. Walking at that age I never. I always took the skool bus. And my skool was 3 blocks away.

Personally I wouldn’t. This world is a little different then what we grew up in. Even then there was wolves in sheep’s clothing. Way to little.

1 Like

I was walking a mile to and from school by myself since kindergarten. Times have changed now I think your kids could handle it. My only concern would be stranger dangers.

2 Likes

Back in the day I’d say yes but in today’s world I’d def say probably not till their older and can defend themselves more

No way not these days

I was in the 2nd grade taking myself to elementary and dropping my lil sister off at prek imo I wish I didn’t have the responsible at that time in my life. I did it from 2nd til 4th grade.

Shoot, people stealing children in the United States of America. Ma.

3 Likes

Not in this day and age… it’s sad but people don’t even care if kids are in a group or in public… they’re snatching children left and right…

No way, 1st grade and 2nd grader? Absolutely not.

2 Likes

So a 1st and 2nd grader would typically be anywhere from 7 to 9 years old. I’d never let my 7 year old walk alone. Do they know their way home? You know your kids best, but I wouldn’t risk it. Back then I woulda said yeah, but we live in different times now where kids are even kidnapped in broad daylight.

1 Like

I would be a bit worried about it to be honest because there are so many bad people about lately.xx

2 Likes

Ummmmm really if u have to ask this question makes me worry for those kids my grandsons are 11 6 5 3 i will be with them till there way into there teen years still walking beside them lol Smfh

3 Likes

I personally wouldn’t with how things are these days and how high kidnapping and sex trafficking is.

I wouldn’t let them walk. To young.

2 Likes

I would if we lived close enough and my daughter asked shes in sexond grade. I would let her.:woman_shrugging: but depends on you and your children… if you feel they are responsible enough then let them.

2 Likes

My neighborhood growing up was a walker neighborhood that young starting in 1st grade. I couldn’t imagine them doing that now. It was quit a distance from the school. It was also such a large townhouse community the amount of buses they would need would be insane

I let my kid walk home alone, she’s in third grade and walks to her babysitters house and it’s maybe two blocks. She walks regularly in our neighbourhood. There’s no bus, and I can’t pick her up. It fosters independence and she knows what to do.

4 Likes

NO please DO NOT let your kids walk home alone🥺!!! There are too many BAD ppl in this world that snatch kids up and hurt em!! PLEASE find an adult to walk them home….PLEASE!?

That’s dangerous. Talk to your place of work and leave work early enough to pick up your kids and reach out to your support system to see if they can help a couple of days a week.

1 Like

I’m today’s world nope absolutely not! Too much can happen in that little 3-4 blocks!

4 Likes

Heck no… I was going to type a list of things that could happen in 4 blocks and it would take way too long so I’ll just live it at that lol

1 Like

It depends on their maturity level but the two little ones are way too young and to put that kind of responsibility on the older one isn’t fair.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Are my kids old enough to walk home from school? - Mamas Uncut

Absolutely not a good idea!!

14 Likes

It’s something that only you know as it’s very dependent on children’s maturity… can you without concern trust the 4th grader to be responsible for the younger ones. Also look at how many others are travelling in the same walking direction as yours you may find another mum who is happy to monitor their commute :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: also be very mindful that you don’t raise kids that are fearful of the whole world… yes there are creeps and horrendous humans on the planet but we need to teach our kids how to recognise dangerous situation and respond accordingly. Kids who have been raised with good fight or flight responses grow up into adults who have good self reliance and are willing to take on some of life’s risks.

3 Likes

Yes totally fine.
Trial it and see :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t. Too many creeps and crazy folks now and days.

25 Likes

My daughter has walked home 2 blocks on her own since 2nd grade. She is now in 5th grade. Usually she finds a couple of kids who live nearby and walks with them. She calls me when she gets on the bus to leave from school, and she calls when she gets off the bus. My work is 30 minutes away, and usually I get home 5 minutes after her.

4 Likes

I could never imagine having trust in the world we live in today for my child to be safe, crossing the street even if I lived right across the street. It’s sad but true— I wish it was not this way.

11 Likes

In today’s society? That’s not just a big, but a COLOSSAL H*LL NO from me! Kidnappings and sex traffickers… nope nope and nope. Sorry. I would just have them wait at school until I could get there.

23 Likes

It depends on the child’s maturity not all are ready for that kind of responsibility at that age range. Plus child trafficking is way to common now a days.

2 Likes

That’s a big responsibility first off but secondly that’s pressure on you year 4 to watch your youngest one. Would you leave them at home alone? If no, then don’t let them walk home alone

3 Likes

Definitely not something that I would recommend. Perhaps your children are mature enough to make the trek by themselves and follow instructions, but it doesn’t take into account someone else’s behavior. Three to four blocks is not a far distance at all…but it is far enough for something to go wrong.
I would never want someone to live in fear but I do ask you to err on the side of caution because this is not the world we grew up in and I know if something happened, you would never forgive yourself.
Perhaps have your children wait for you at the school, get them an Uber to the house, ask a relative/friend to pick them up or an after school program.
The peace of mind is irreplaceable because many people cannot be trusted. Good luck.

7 Likes

I’m a primary school teacher and see young siblings who walk their kids to and from school and it’s never been a good idea… we get complaints from other parents that they are arguing and fighting and storming in the middle of the road, pushing each other off the pavements, two even went missing and claimed they had a doctors appointment which was not true. We found them in a field behind the school. Younger siblings don’t give authority to their elders and don’t show respect as adults aren’t there, we have had to ring parents on some occasions. Meanwhile some children are hit by cars, bikes, bullied, wander off to friends houses etc. I really don’t think it’s a good idea. Can you pay someone to collect them from school and walk them back like another parent?

21 Likes

With everything going on lately I wouldn’t. I’d rather put them in a after school program.

5 Likes

Honestly, I’m too paranoid for that. My kids are in 4th grade and 2nd grade and I still wait at the bus stop for them, even though it’s right in front of my apartments driveway. My mom taught me from a young age there are too many creeps and weirdos. Live your life, but always be ready. Never take your hand off the shopping cart. Keep your eyes on the child. With the youngest still being in 1st grade, I wouldnt.

1 Like

I had a terrifying encounter once when I walked home from middle school… I would never put my kids into the same danger

3 Likes

Would they all be walking together? Are they aware of stranger danger? Do you have a code word in place? You could practice walking it with them making sure I’d their surroundings.

1 Like

no. i would never allow my child to routinely walk home from anywhere at at any age.

1 Like

Depends on where you live and maturity level of the children. 1st and 2nd grade is just so little and child trafficking is real

5 Likes

I would say they are a little young to do that. I think it would be a lot of pressure to put on your 4th grader to make sure everyone was safe

6 Likes

These days absolutely not.! If u would get home a few mins after why not just get them to wait at the school for you. Look into after school care. Anything can happen within mins.

Noooooo way at all would I be comfortable with that. Absolutely 100% not a chance. I’d have them wait for me at the school gate & pick them up on my way home. A lot can happen in 4 blocks!

1 Like

I’m in same situation. My son is 9 going on the fourth grade. We taught him how to cross safely even with crossing guards. We did “mock walk to school” to make sure he knew what he was doing he will be riding bike too we live about 2-3 blocks over from school. Oh he also will be carrying a cheap cell phone!

This would depend on. your kids and your area. My kids have walked since they started school.

1 Like