Are my kids old enough to walk home from school?

Please don’t. There’s a lot of trafficking going on even in small towns people are always driving by schools and parks to look for kids to snatch.

Nope. Our primary school won’t even allow them to leave on their own until year 6.

This gives me straight up anxiety!! No matter where you live big town or small town, you have to sit and think, you don’t know peoples true intentions. Maybe check to see if an older more mature aged teenager could help walk them home and wait for you to get home before leaving them alone.

I definitely would not want my babies walking that far alone.

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t. However the area/ neighborhood you live in can make a difference.
Perhaps you can download an app for tracking them if your oldest child has a phone but if you got off work around the same time, I would just have them stay at school until you got there.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t trust it. see if a neighbor is willing to help.

1 Like

And if its only a few min I don’t see the harm if it was more then that ur kids u go by ur gut it depending on the mother maturity of the kids. I know lots of kids that do this maybe they can walk with other kids as well

Do you trust your 4th grader? Is the 4th grader responsible enough to remember the younger ones? Only you can answer this question. We live a block away and have a pretty busy street to cross and my oldest has walked her younger sister home at that age.

No. That’s a lot of responsibility on that fourth grader. If something were to ever happen, that child will have to live with it for the rest of their life. Make arrangements, have them hang out at the school until you can get there. Whatever you have to do.

So many kids these days have cellphones. But I think it depends more on each child. It depends on there maturity level. If your 4th grader is mature for his age and you think as their mother he can handle getting everyone home and your two other littles listen good. I walked 3-4 blocks to 1st grade by myself. I would try it out and don’t let anyone tell you what’s right for your family. You know what’s best.

I wouldn’t but I’m a worrier

I get nervous letting my 8th grader walk to the bus stop (two blocks away) in the morning… Walking home is different because there are kids walking all over town.

It’s not that I wouldn’t trust my kids, I don’t trust the world. I don’t let my 15 yo niece walk to the bus stop alone.

2 Likes

My 3rd, 1st, and Kindergarten student all walk across the street to home from the bus drop off (we literally live right next door) before I would’ve been ok with them walking alone but after the recent move in of a few pedophiles in our small town I walk them to school in the AM and either myself or my husband are home no more than 5 mins after they get out. Our town is filled with cops and the sheriff lives only a few houses down. He is amazing at patrolling the area and making sure all kiddos are accounted for.

Not in the day and age.

Yes. Depending on the maturity of your kids and the neighborhood.

2 Likes

Adjust your work schedule…not worth the chance of all the things that could go wrong.

2 Likes

Sometimes as a mom you have to do what you have to do. My kids have phones to were I can see their location and we have wifi cameras in the main areas of our house so I can see when they get home too. The bus stop is literally just a few houses down and they are older now but we have been doing this for years because I can’t afford to leave work early everyday to get them from school. Trust your gut.

have them wait and pick them up.

My kids do, but they don’t walk on any busy streets and it only takes 5-8 min to get there. They stay together, my daughter has a phone due to sports that she keeps with her, and they also walk with several neighbor kids.

Look up what sex offenders live on that walk or near it. We lived 4 blocks from school and there was a tun.

Absolutely not in this day and age. Too many children disappear and are never seen again

No. I wouldn’t. Mine are 4&5th grade and have to walk about a football field. I can see them the whole time. I don’t let them walk it by themselves. Too much school traffic with idiots.

No way I would let them walk home. Too much stuff happening that they could just disappear.
Better to be safe than sorry with the way things are going in this world.

1 Like

I also would like to share something for all of you talking about how it’s changed so much and 5 yrs ago, 10 yrs, 15 yrs, etc you would have let them. Perverts and kidnappers have always been there. It’s just more widely talked about, registered openly, and reported in the media these days. That’s why you hear about it more now than you used to. Not because it didn’t happen…

5 Likes

So, I’m not quite as helicoptery as some. I wouldn’t have an issue with my 4th grader ( I assume to be 9/10 years old) doing it, but your other 2 are pretty young. They are too young to be responsible for themselves and your oldest is still too young to be responsible for them.

If you can be home in the time it would take them to walk home, you can be at school to pick them up. There is always a pickup window of time after dismissal.

1 Like

Why not just have them wait at school and pick them up? Theres so many people kidnapping kids in today’s world that I’d never let them walk by themselves.

3 Likes

I live right down the road from the school and still don’t let my kid walk home just because I don’t want anything bad to happen when it could be prevented. So many bad things are happening in this world I would rather be safe than sorry

2 Likes

No way. I’d shorten my lunch break or flat out leave 10 minutes early rather than risk all the bad that could happen. Also the 4th grader should not be expected to watch over and protect the younger.

5 Likes

If it was like it was back in the day, id say yes. But times have changed, and so have people so definitely not.

3 Likes

Now days No Way. To many crazy people out there .

2 Likes

I say yes! Children these days don’t get enough opportunities to be mature, responsible, and grow. If the oldest child feels comfortable being “in charge” of the younger ones, and the younger ones will be responsible and listen, and, especially if their are children from other households walking too, yes! Impress upon your children that this is a serious responsibility and that you expect them to behave.

6 Likes

4th grader okay depending on maturity but w the little ones would make me nervous

2 Likes

No! Those minutes they spent walking are the minutes anyone can take advantage and take them. A few minutes to save and getting in the car to get them isn’t worth it to loose them. People are horrible and times changed.

2 Likes

No. My daughter is in 6th grade and I will no snow her to walk home. They’re are too many children going missing.

I can literally see my kids school from the alley less then two full blocks from the school she is in 3rd grade I refuse to let her walk to or from by herself to school the reason bc we live in an area where it is just not safe it in my opinion. However our school doesn’t really care they let kids as young as 1st grade walk home by themselves and don’t take a list of who walked home either so I have had to rip into the school for letting her walk home alone so I guess to each their own!

Yes! We walked many many blocks to school and back when I was that age. There was always a group of us who’d walk together. And if it’s not that far I see nothing wrong with it. Yes the world may be different today but it’s not much different now than it was then. We just have a faster spread of info nowadays…

1 Like

This is up to you and you only. No one’s opinion will influence how you feel about your kids safety.

2 Likes

Yup I would let them. If I was able to the first day or 2 walk with them but after that they can do it on their own.

Nope ! I’m changing my whole job and hours just to be there to put my kids (8&11) on and off the bus. Rather be safe than sorry !

3 Likes

I would not let them walk home unless there was a older child that would be responsible enough to get them home. Pay this child 5:00 a day to get them home. Other wise I would talk with the school and see if they would hold them at school and p.u. there.

My oldest is in 3rd grade and we live right next door to the school and I STILL pick him up. I wouldn’t dare. :flushed: But I’m also a stay at home momma.

1 Like

For the first week or so, I’d allow them but would creep on them :joy: drive behind them where they can’t see you, so you can evaluate how they’d act

just depends on your neighborhood. where I live, its common

4 Likes

No 1st and 2nd grade is way too young. It’s just not the same world we grew up in :disappointed: way too many bad things happening to kids alone these days hate to say it

5 Likes

No. Maybe if it was only the 4th grader, but a first and second grader should not be walking home alone so you’re really counting on the older child to be watching two younger kids while crossing streets and staying focused and safe. that’s a lot to ask for the oldest child to be responsible for.

2 Likes

I think with the 4th grader they should be fine but definitely have conversations to prepare maybe even some sort of tracking device to make sure they get home
Also depends on maturity level as well

3 Likes

Hell no to many predators look up child molesters in your area it will scare u to death

Yes the town I grew up in there were no buses and my mom was a single mother. Me, my brother and sister all walked home from elementary school together. I was 4 my brother 6 and my sister was 7. The school was a couple blocks away from home.

Nope not in this world … Any thing can happen not risking it .

5 Likes

I walked home when I was 3rd grade… I’m 37 and still alive … Kids can do whatever they need to but parents are to scared to let them do anything.

7 Likes

Nope I’d have them wait at school til you get there to pick them up. It takes 2 second for someone to stop and throw them in a van. You’re better safe than sorry.

3 Likes

In today’s time, I wouldn’t them then walk home unless they were capable of defending themselves or getting away. You never know who may be watching, and those are young ages.

1 Like

If there are at least 5 other kids that walk too then yeah I would let them, but it also depends on the neighborhood. If we lived in my mom’s neighborhood where most kids walked I would, where we live it’s a hard no from me.

Absolutely not! 20 years ago yes, but not now!!

2 Likes

in todays world i would say no

2 Likes

all depends on your neighborhood. and how your kids are.

1 Like

I absolutely fucking would not let mine walk home. Our bus stop is in the back yard and I’m right there when he goes on and gets off, he’s 6. No way.

All children especially girls should take self defense classes,I would put them in a class and watch to see if they will fight back if they do then I would my Boys took boxing and ju jitzu.my grandgirl will be in class before she goes to school.

I am actually quite shocked how many people say no way. I walked to my school bus stop or school every day growing up. Elementary school we walked as a group. Siblings, friends etc and one by one funneled off to our houses as we went down the road. This world is no more dangerous than it was when we were kids. It’s just more widely reported now.

2 Likes

No. Nope. Novo, a big great no

3 Likes

Okay I say no but if you don’t have a choice please take the proper steps to protecting them . Buddy system meaning the all hold hands, don’t talk to strangers, straight home, check in with mom as soon as they are home. Get air tags and sew them into there jackets or shoes. Or get them to wear the bracelet on there higher ankle so someone who would abduct wouldn’t look hire up. Set up alerts for movement and tracking. I know it seems obsessive but that really is the only way I would ever let my young children walk home is if in the worst case scenario I had a way to track them. I personally would let them but if you have no choice take the proper steps

1 Like

20 years ago, yes. 2021- no.

7 Likes

Maybe ask your oldest if he/she would be comfortable walking their siblings home from school. The independence can be nice and they can bond on the walk home.

I don’t see an issue if you feel they are responsible enough! Maybe get a flip phone with your number programmed in and have the 4th grader carry it!

1 Like

Sometimes the car line can take awhile to get through. Sounds like you might make the end of it in time. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s a lot of responsibility to put on a fourth grader. How do you think your oldest child would feel if something terrible happened to one of their siblings? A fourth grader isn’t emotionally capable of providing the proper care of their siblings.

2 Likes

They are to young to be walking home. You’d feel awful if something was to happen to them.

3 Likes

I would say yes, as long as the oldest has a phone for a just in case moment. I would talk to a trusted neighbor to be a safe house to run to quickly in case they think someone is following them if you aren’t home yet. Even the buddy system, just take steps for just in case moments, but I see no harm in them walking alone. Make sure the oldest is made aware that they need to be cautious and watch surroundings.

I would 100% have let my kiddo even at first grade, if we lived close enough. With that being said, I’m from a small town. Don’t know that I’d feel the same if I was from a bigger area.
But I truly think it depends on the maturity of the individual child. My son has being staying home by himself (starting with an hour at a time and with a way to contact someone) when he was in kindergarten.

Yes. Depending on how far away your school is from the house, how many neighbours you know within the walking distance, and the maturity level of your children.

2 Likes

No. Times have changed.

3 Likes

Depends on how your kids act. Are they typically pretty good? Crazy? Is she going to have to keep them from running into a road? Or will they just walk with her? I personally only let my kids walk home when they had cell phones and I could track them, they would also call me on their way home.

Our school was basically in the neighborhood though. Would also depend on the area.

Why put that pressure on your 4th grader? To make sure the kids get home safe and watch for strangers. It’s a No for me.

2 Likes

Hell no, really??? Child sex trafficking is on the rise, there’s weirdos EVERYWHERE, and kids can get lost so easy even if it is only 4 blocks.

I use to walk to school when I was in elementary at first it was less then a block away then it was actually pretty far I had to cross 2 big roads but I survived and I was in the 4th grade at that time

How mature is your 4th grader? I used to be a crossing guard and would see kids on their own, with siblings, and a lot of times the parent would walk them until they got to my crossing

Just imagine if something was to happen to one of your kids. Try explaining to the police that you felt it was ok to let kids that young get home by themselves.

1 Like

In these days and times I’d say hell no .

1 Like

No i wouldn’t. Too young and naive. Anything can happen, why take the risk? They can wait at school an extra 10 minutes for you.

2 Likes

Its not about if they’re responsible enough. This world is dangerous. People are dangerous. And not everyone is looking out for your or your kids best interests. As young as they are, please don’t let them walk home alone.

2 Likes

Nooo! We are living in times where you gotta watch your back from your own family! Back then it wasn’t like this. Praying you make the right choice!

1 Like

I wouldn"t let them these days it is not safe when I was younger we did walk but the world wasnt as bad as it is now maybe u can fine a older child in ur neighborhood that is older that could walk with them but sometimes u just dont have a choose

My kids are 5, 6, 7 and 9 and I dont even trust them to walk around the block alone. There are some scary people in this world and my children’s safety is important.

Absolutely not, way too young. The 4th grader isn’t mature enough to handle a dangerous situation and keep the other two safe let alone themselves. In this day and age it’s way too scary to be taking these kinds of chances. Ask a grandparent, aunt, friend, another mom walking.

My 5th grader is at the intermediate school and she walks to and from. My other kids won’t until that age and IF they are responsible enough.

She asked to and wanted to and we don’t live very far so she is doing it. She also has a phone and I know several people along the route.

This is no longer the world we grew up in, I definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable allowing my elementary school aged children walk alone. Take them.

If u do have to let them get a tracker put it in there bookbag or even on there clothes then u can track them just for there safety an for ur peace of mine js

No. Ask another parent to walk with them? Our school doesn’t let a child leave without an adult until grade 5

With all the sex trafficking and missing kids, I wouldn’t allow a 13 year old to walk alone.

I did in the 4th grade…but times have only gotten scarier. I would feel better if it was a group & had a phone as well. When I walked I want to say we were a group of 6, but I’d be the last in the group as I lived further than the rest.

My school wouldn’t let my kindergartner and 3rd grader walk to the end of the sidewalk and cross over to me across a non busy road with me in clear site. I had to walk to the other side and all the way to the doors to collect them from a teacher. So depending on your school they may not allow it anyway.

My siblings walked to school around those ages. They walked a few blocks to the middle school to ride the bus to elementary. I didn’t like that one bit. I would never trust my own kids to walk alone to school that young. Your can’t trust PEOPLE.

1 Like

Absolutely not!!! I am really praying that you do not let these babies walk alone. Seriously as little as they are anything could happen.

1 Like

It depends on the maturity of your children, how far the school is, the neighborhood, are there other children walking as well or would it just be your kids on thier own. I would also ask yourself why you are wanting to do this. Is it for your convienence? Because if you could make it home by the time they got home you could also probably make it to the school before the last of the car line was done. So are you wanting this just to avoid sitting in car line or is it because you have no other options.

1 Like

I would but I know the neighborhood I live in and I know they would be fine.

I wouldn’t be okay w it. At all. Too much room for error there.

2 Likes

I used to walk to and from school in elementary. It was only two blocks. But times have changed and I definitely would not let my kids

1 Like

See if they can walk with a neighbor…most high schools dismiss earlier than elementary…is there a responsible teenager you can pay a couple dollars to help out?

No I wouldn’t let my kids at that age

1 Like