Are there therapists for adults with possible Autism?

I’m 40 years old and aspbergers and autism wasn’t really around in my youth. I feel like I may be an undiagnosed adult at this point. Alot of the stuff I read says there is no tests for adults. Any thoughts on the matter or therapists?

25 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Are there therapists for adults with possible Autism? - Mamas Uncut

Really, an "undiagnosed " adult…

2 Likes

Find a psych my love. They will test you. It’s really good information to have. It’s validating. I also suggest the group autism Inclusivity. It’s amazing. It’s a lot of autistic adults trying to help other autistics through life. I love it!

2 Likes

I believe for adults there’s CBT, occupational therapy, and others available. You would just have to find adult therapies, because the pediatric ones usually cut off at 21 or younger. Yes you can absolutely get diagnosed as an adult, I had a psychologist tell me it doesn’t matter to be diagnosed as an adult because I got this far (22 at the time) without knowing, but plenty of people have been diagnosed at 30+. And don’t settle for the answer I was given, just because we go into adulthood without the diagnosis doesn’t mean we shouldn’t get support for it or find out for ourselves. It gives a lot of understanding once you get a diagnosis for anything!

1 Like

Your best bet would be to see a psychologist or psychiatrist that specializes in diagnosing ASD. They can help you go from there

If you’re female it’s not unheard of for you to be undiagnosed. Women of all ages are the least diagnosed. Add on top of that that a lot of doctors do tend to ignore a diagnosis for anything in women because they think they’re just over reacting. Be careful though because there are doctors out there that do over diagnose it! I personally was diagnosed with ADHD simply because of my tremors(she thought I couldn’t sit still but it really just runs in my family and gets worse if I try to stop it). Her idea of treatment for all of my mental health issues was to ONLY treat the ADHD. IT WAS AWFUL! I ended up worse because I have depression, anxiety, PTSD, and BPD. I tried going to inpatient care to get a second opinion and my therapist who was in my doctor’s corner threw me into a prison like facility involuntarily so I couldn’t leave and it made my PTSD worse.

In the end both nearly got fired because I seriously talked about a lawsuit. I got switched to a better therapist and doctor that saw no evidence of ADHD and were appalled that my other diagnosis were ignored for it. Be sure you do your research on any doctors you see to make sure they don’t have complaints against them from other patients or lawsuits. Mental health care has a long way to go still. It has not evolved enough over 40 years.

4 Likes

ABA ( Adult Behavior Analysis. Check or google for one close to you.

3 Likes

I can’t tell if that firdt comment was meant to be rude sarcasm… Or… Just ignorant. Or both 🤷

Self diagnosis is valid just fyi. Often times having an “official” diagnosis can be more harmful than helpful. My oldest son is autistic. I’ve been exhibiting signs since i was a child myself but was also never diagnosed. There are support groups you can join to help as well.

2 Likes

Many girls/women go way longer even into adulthood without diagnosis as it is harder to diagnose in them due to masking and Also in studies males have had the most studies done on them (in beginning it was mainly male focused)

I think my son is also…wish I could help him…

Hiya. I’ve been feeling that about myself for a long time now. I recently got in touch with my doctor and explained everything and he’s sent a referral out for a autism assessment. Maybe give your gp a call

Call your Dr and tell them what your feeling and everything and they should be able to get you a referral to a physcologist so you can be tested and then also seek out therapy it’ll help

1 Like

l get paid over $130 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18468 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Info Here >>> https://cashmoney12.neocities.org/

There are doctors who specialize in autism diagnosis, and yes, they are primarily for children, I don’t think that necessarily means there is no testing for adults though.
It’s just harder to diagnose in adults.
I would start with a psychiatrist and start by explaining your concerns. They may be able to help point you in the right direction if they’re not qualified to diagnose. (My son’s psych was not certified for diagnosing autism but would refer out to those who are).

I will tell you though to keep an open mind and be patient.
There is a lot of symptoms overlap with other conditions (such as adhd and anxiety) For my son…it wasn’t until after we treated his ADHD that him having autism was “visible”
My adhd wasn’t “visible” until after i stopped unknowingly self-medicating with energy drinks.

Check out pyscologytoday.com you can put what you are looking for and then it will pull the therapists in your area up that work with autism.

1 Like

You can go to a psychologist. Adults can and do get diagnosed

1 Like

l get paid over $125 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $13214 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Details HERE… https://goldenjob5.neocities.org/

There are therapists for everyone :blush:

I’m 31 and in process of being tested but doesn’t Asperger’s fall under the asd umbrella now. I’m being tested because of my sons diagnosis of autism him and I share alot of the same traits and being afab I possibly slipped through the cracks since I wasn’t a cis male