Are you required to have a infant car seat when leaving the hospital?

You can use a convertible car seat. Did with 4 out of 5 of my children. Two of them being nicu babies

Yes and if you don’t have one the hospital has ways to help provide you own. Some require you to qualify for a carseat,but sometimes that’s not needed.

You are required to have a car seat that meets the height and weight requirement for your infant. You are not required to have a ‘bucket’ infant seat that clicks into a base. it can be a convertible car seat that stays in the car as long as it’s appropriate rear facing etc.

4 Likes

No, you’re not. As long as you get a proper fit baby can use a convertible from birth. A hospital cannot require that you use a specific car seat.

2 Likes

Call your local birth center! With both my children they had to complete a car seat test after birth with the seat they would be leaving in. They also made sure baby was strapped in correctly as well. But I can only speak from experience. I preferred to use an infant seat for the first 6ms at least. You can get them used for cheap since some people only use them as spares and they are generally not too beat up. Also, things can depend on babies size. Both my kiddos came out little

I had the convertible one

1 Like

You can use a convertible seat when leaving the hospital

1 Like

Either way the nurses will come out and check and either you have the correct one and they let you leave or you don’t and you don’t get to leave :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

So long as your baby fits in the seat safely I don’t think it actually matters whether you have a capsule or convertible seat

You have to have a car seat period

Iowa and I’ve only been to Mercy and as long as the carseat is equipped to handle baby you’re allowed to use that seat and it has to not be expired or ever been in an accident.

I’ve never had anyone check what car seat I have. I’ve always had convertible though

1 Like

Have to have a proper car seat.

If it’s within weight limits its fine. There’s some convertible carseats that start at 5lbs.

2 Likes

Absolutely you do,why wouldn’t anyone use a car seat for a new born or a child

Yes they won’t let you leave without one

You have to have an infant seat or a convertible car seat to leave the hospital. You just need a safe car seat within weight limits

2 Likes

At my hospital they required a car seat. The nurses even strapped in my babies each time! And walked us to the car. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

as far as i know as long as it’s appropriate for your child then they don’t care. Convertible or infant.
infant makes it easier to carry baby out of the hospital but if you have a convertible they’ll let you carry baby out to car

1 Like

My hospital required an infant car seat bc baby had to be installed in the hospital by nurse and toted to car by nurse.

1 Like

Yes u have to and they do a carseat check at the hospital.

Just a proper carseat doesn’t matter what kind

2 Likes

If it is a convertible as in birth-5+ that is fine
They aren’t going to make you purchase an infant one if you aren’t going to use it

I used convertible car seats with all my kids. Straight from the hospital.

At my hospital they don’t ask
It’s a legal requirement to have a car seat suitable for that child

Just make sure if the baby is under 5 pounds some convertibles don’t go that tiny so watch the weight

1 Like

In my state as long as the car seat is safe weight wise for the baby, it doesn’t have to be a infant car seat. If you prefer convertible car seats, that’s your decision

3 Likes

If it’s convertible you have to have one that is safe for the weight of the babe, since it’s hard to 100% know that info before hand and most people can shell out hundreds of dollars for top of the line convertible car seats they HIGHLY recommend infant car seats. My 1 daughter was preemie though and it was a requirement because she was 5lbs

We used Graco Forever car seat
Rear facing 4-40lbs

1 Like

As long as the seat is rated for the weight of the baby it doesn’t have to be a infant seat. Many convertible seats now come from newborn til the child outgrows the seat.

3 Likes

Nope. Convertible is fine as long as it properly fits newborns and is installed correctly.

Probably depends on what state and what hospital.

I read that in all 50 states they cannot keep you from leaving the hospital as long as you have a safe car seat.

Nope I had a convertible carseat and the nurse just came out with me and made sure it was all good

Yes and they have to check it

You can use a converted cart seat

You must legally have a carseat to leave the hospital. By law the hospital will not release you with out a properly installed base and carseat for your newborn. Most of the time they will have a hospital staff member like the charge nurse check to make sure it is secure in the car.

1 Like

When my oldest son was born 50 years ago there was no such law, but when my next son was born 40 years ago he had to have a car seat buckled in and the buckled him in and it’s been that way ever since.

You do not have to have a infant carseat that comes out you can have a stationary car seat that grows with the baby just as long as it’s weight is 5+pounds

Convertible carseats can also accommodate newborns. You don’t have to have a removable carseat, just one that meets the safety requirements for newborns. Which many convertible seats do

Convertible is acceptable.