At what age did you stop breastfeeding: I need advice

When did you stop breastfeeding? How did you do it? My son is one year old (13 months) and still super addicted to nursing. He goes to bed at night without it now and sleeps until 5 am without it. But right at 5 am, and throughout the day, he is pretty much attached to the boob. He tugs on my shirt and cries until he gets it. He was starting to lose interest until I weaned him off at night, and now he wants it all the time during the day. He still uses booby for n as well! I definitely would love some ideas!

9 Likes

If he understands the concept of an ouchy try bandaids on your breasts and tell him mommy has ouchies

3 Likes

Honestly it’s hard to wean no matter how long. It’s going to be hard for both of you no matter what. But if you’ve decided you’re done (he doesn’t NEED it anymore) than just stick with it. He will adjust.

5 Likes

My baby was removed at 14 months x

Removed From the boob that us

I stopped breastfeeding when my son turned 2. I was working like 8 months before so as soon as I got home he was on it. And to sleep.
But once day I just stopped cold turkey. He still wants to smell it and touch it when he’s going to sleep but I just say no.

Just rub some shoe polish on your tit, that should break him. It did me!

4 Likes

Just go w it. Its not anyone to tell u how long. Its diff for everyone. My son was 8 months and done. My daughter lasted 3.5 yrs and i had to make her stop. She was obsessed.

you know what. when you decide to quite is the time but do it gently for your Childs sake. it is up to you and only you when to stop. The la leche league can help you so I encourage you to contact them if in your area,

2 Likes

As soon as they start biting you

At 3 almost I’m a stay home moms so I have no problem w that but f you work put some
Mustard he will not like it or coffe w oil and kids will get over it w no damage :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: just not tasteful as before

1 Like

My oldest son i nursed for 10 months and was planning on longer but as soon as he started to be mobile he was no longer interested. I feel like as long as you want to and they do then should keep nursing. I wouldnt rush the weening process. Just do it slowly less during the day.

Little ones need routine as much as toddlers. It helps so much for them to know…for their system to get used to a routine. Just like you and I as adults…if we eat at certain times most days our body expects that. I skip breakfast a lot…and when I try to get on that routine again my body automatically tells me …hey…what’s up? Pick times that work best for you for a good feeding and try to reign in the constant feeding. Been there. You don’t need to do that. Also some of that is just baby wanting to be connected and close to you as well. Just be a stoic wise force in what they need and try not to let guilt guide you…I say that after having 4 kids of my own and looking back at the first vs the fourth. I started with baby food fruit mixes…because if I couldn’t stand the taste of the baby food why would I expect them to… and moving to the bottle. Give them the sense that all is well in your energy and also that you know best and all willl be well. It will adjust.

My child was difficult to… I stopped feeding my first at about 8 months and he was so bad at taking a bottle instead of me that one day I out him Inn high chair with a bottle and sat in the other room… He cried for half an hour then took the bottle… Most defo not how I wanted to do it… But I felt I had exhausted every otbe roption ans I was starting college in a few weeks so it needed to be sorted

I introduced a sippie cup at 10 1/2 months. Soon she realized she could get more milk a lot easier and she preferred that over nursing. I was done and she enjoyed using a cup so. It’s not going to be easy but stick to it. Good luck.

1 Like

Longest hardest one was my 2nd, took till she was 18 months, she had this but it was a night attachment. We weaned by making me unavailable at night- only daddy would get up to the cries, with a cup of warm milk or water, to rock or play or change, while she fussed -and I cried upstairs :sweat_smile:.
Took us about a week.

Law of Attraction - Ask, Believe, Receive
If he really wanted to be with you, he wouldn’t confuse you. Real men know who and what they want and go for it. Weak men will ask you to lead them through the darkness, then let go of your hand when they find the light. Don’t waste your time on a man who hasn’t decided what he wants, its draining and unnecessary stress.

7 Likes

three, my son quit near his third bday

Chocolate milk in sippy, you can put bandaids over your nipples and say all done !

5 Likes

All 3 of mine were different. I pumped for 12 months w my first, exclusively breastfed my 2nd for 18 months and currently breastfeeding my 3rd that will be 2 Nov 9th. But I definitely plan to stop before 3 :crossed_fingers:t4:

My daughter was 2.5, after age one it was only at sleep time. It caused sleep issues later but I don’t regret the extended at all.

My youngest was 2. He nursed morning nap and night for months then taper off

1 Like

Well my eldest weaned at 14 months because I fell pregnant, my second at 18 months because I fell pregnant and my youngest is nearly 2 and still nursing, there is no magic age for self weaning, if you want bub off then you need to take steps to stop but the world health organisation recommends breastfeeding till at least 2 and the world average weaning age is 2.5.

3 Likes

Still nursing my 3.5 year old and 13 month old
They will stop when they are done

9 Likes

22months. Very close to 2 years old. I was done when my son bit thru my nipple and that was it.

1 year with each of my 3 kids.

3 Likes

Keep introducing new foods

1 Like

16.5 months but only because I lost my supply completely due to my current pregnancy and it became way too painful to dry nurse. Otherwise I would’ve still been breastfeeding and he’s 19 months.

1 Like

I think I was 33​:woman_shrugging:t3::joy:

11 Likes

Daughter will be 2 in Nov, still nurses, it’s all her, she can stop anytime

1 Like

2.5. Was real tired of it by then.

I put Band-Aids on my nipples :rofl:. Gotta watch but it worked! My daughter was permanently attached!!! My boys were easy bc I weaned them early. But she was 11 months and never had a bottle. I out on the Band-Aids and offered a cup of water or milk (water at night). As long as she couldn’t latch she learned to take the cup. It only took us a week.

3 Likes

Offer finger foods and sippy cups in place of boob. I averaged a year with all five but my daughter was the hardest to stop,I would wake up to her in my bed attached till around 15 months. You have to be firm but not harsh and it’s ok if it’s a slow let go

1 Like

My son was 17 months when i completely stopped cold turkey after being bit so hard on my nipple with his teeth it bled so much. I really wanted to continue but that was a deal breaker for me. Lol

1 Like

With my first I weened her around 18 months, she was only nursing at nap and bed time after 15 months though. My second is 5 months and still going strong.

The longest I breastfed for was almost 2years. I had to stop because my nipples cracked and wouldn’t heal. I had to tell my daughter no more boob a few times before she stopped asking for it

I read there is something you can put on your breast that tastes yucky. A Mama posted it.

A friend of mine still nurses and he’s 5 !

3 Likes

I stopped with my first at 1.5 years. I’m still breast feeding my baby (9mo) and hope to no go last 13mo

What I want to know (after reading these comments) is how the hell you goddamn unicorns have the patience to breast feed children that have teeth and can bite. :neutral_face: I’m not judging just genuinely curious because once my baby starts to get teeth it will be an auto no go, seeing as how my first bit the crap out of me till I bruised and she wasnt even breast fed.

2 Likes

I just don’t understand you women of today. With all your questions about common sense issues, is there such thing as motherly instincts anymore.

6 Likes

2 years and 9 months! She self weaned when she was ready. Easiest way possible.

Mine mostly likes it at night. He’s 13 months also. My other son is 3 and at 2 I had to wean him and it was hard, he really didn’t want to but once I did he started to sleep like 9 hrs at night

I nursed all three of my kids and they all weaned at different times. My only son, the baby, was the most difficult. Mostly my fault because he was my last baby. He was 13 months, and I had my husband do his night bottles and took long hot showers and wore cabbage leafs. You need to get your smell away and disengage from their mind for feeding.

My daughter is 19mths and still nurses. No signs of giving it up anytime soon. Although I wish I could have my body back, I keep thinking that when she is done, most if not all of my cuddles disappear:(

I breastfed our first till she was 2.5 years. Weaned down to just going to sleep and then just told her it’s all gone and gave her a small bottle of milk before bed. Did that a few months and then cut it out as well. It went super easy!

Breastmilk is best for babies until 2 years of age

I stopped at a year. How? I simply stopped. If you give in when he cries and thereby reward the crying etc. with the breast, it only serves to teach the child that’s how he gets it now and the behavior will continue. It will stop when the tactic doesn’t work anymore. I guess what I’m saying is the process will be as long and as hard as YOU make it. Good luck momma.

1 Like

My 3rd I stopped a week before she turned 2 and I just stopped told her no when she would try

I let my son decide when he was done nursing and he stopped at 15 months old

22 months… I stopped because I got a cavity due to the calcium depletion.