Blood work said my child was a different ethnicity: Has this happened to anyone else?

So I had blood work done to determine the gender of our child. Well my question is, does anyone know how accurate this is from experience? My results are saying girl but with a Y chromosome, and then they did an ethnicity test, and it says our child is mostly Asian and Mexican, which my husband and I are not (husband is African-American and Caucasian, and I’m just Caucasian). And no, I didn’t cheat on my husband, I’m a SAHM who doesn’t go anywhere, and he works from home. I already messaged my doctor about my results, and all they said is it’s just worded confusingly.

23 Likes

Doesn’t sound right!

1 Like

Maybe should be… lacking y chromosome and lacking all Asian and Mexican ethnicity?? :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

That don’t sound right at all! Idk how a blood test can be wrong! Not saying you cheated but not sure I see another explanation?

2 Likes

There’s a small chance the test is wrong. Those tests can be wrong. It’s not uncommon.

There’s a small chance that either you or your husband have an extensive ethnic background too! You could have Asian or Mexican relatives and not know it. You should do a 21 and me test or something.

I’ve heard stories of white parents having African American babies and not knowing that their blood line carries that ethnicity. It’s rare but it happens :woman_shrugging:

17 Likes

Maybe blood get label with wrong name. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

If your doing the blood test for gender they maybe mixing up your ethnicity. As the mothers DNA is blended more into the genetics than the dads. If that makes sense

Maybe one of you are not all Caucasian, also native American blood shows as Asian

5 Likes

I just googled and it says most women have xx but there are females with xy

It could be from on of y’all ancestors.
For instance I’m what u who call white but my ancestors was Indian, Mexican, German, English and Irish. So a little of all is in me plus my little ones. So it could be possible. If y’all haven’t had y’all DNA test to see where y’all actually have.

5 Likes

I don’t have much of an answer but what if you do one of those ancestry DNA tests and see if either of you have ancestry that is unknown to you.

5 Likes

Sounds like they mixed up your results

13 Likes

No, we didn’t have any issues. However, it’s possible they mixed up the blood work with someone else’s. Lab mixups do happen. If you are questioning it, contact your doctors office and ask them to recheck since it doesn’t seem right .

2 Likes

I feel like you’re probably reading your results wrong. The Y interpretation is if there is a Y chromosome or not. We just had ours done for our 8th child, 15th pregnancy. The results (I can’t view my full results right now for some reason) also mention different things about Hispanic/non Hispanic, African American/non African American. But it’s testing for certain genetic abnormalities that are more typical of those ethnicities. It doesn’t mean that your child is those ethnicities. It’s checking for chromosomal abnormalities, not ethnicities. I’ve had to have these tests done every pregnancy due to having multiple losses and having lost babies to turners syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities. We have had genetic/chromosomal markers for things typical found in African American decent, but our children are Hispanic (my husband) and Finnish, native and Russian (me). None of my kids turned out to be African American (I have never cheated so there was no possibility anyways). But it is definitely not testing babies ethic background. The tests are looking for genetic markers and chromosomal abnormalities/markers. Your doctor should have explained this all to you.

16 Likes

If either of you have those races as ancestors this could very well be possible.

5 Likes

Maybe you have some Mexican and asian that you don’t know about.

1 Like

Auntie is right. They don’t test for ethnicity. They test for all issues related to these ethnicities. Sounds like you are reading it wrong.

9 Likes

Perhaps one of you is adopted and don’t know it or yours/his dad is not y’all’s bio-dad??? I personally would have them check again…

Its prob more to do with relatives then and maybe your background or your partners that u dnt know about

Have u done a test on yourself and your husband? Maybe you aren’t what u think u are

13 Likes

This is a prime example of genetics lol. So the blonde woman is the eldest, that’s my great grandma. As you can see, she’s from German heritage, she’s naturally a brunette with blue eyes. My grandma, my dads mom. Is the one with darker complexion. My great grandpa is mostly 100 percent Native American. My great great grandma Henry, who has passed. Was actually full blooded. My dad, who’s standing next to me. Has a white father, and as you can see he came out almost as dark as his momma. Now do you see the little pale girl with the tiny baby? That’s me, and I got my Irish genes from my momma, my son is now the 4th generation of red heads❤️ we come in all different ways due to our Heritage and from our ancestors.

You’re reading the results wrong. Your doctor should be able to go over it with you so you can understand.

2 Likes

This was mine through sneak peak and no ancestry given. It’s accurate in that I am now confirmed 24 weeks with a girl

1 Like

I wouldn’t trust these test, On my life.

I’m not sure why u had to do a test to figure out the gender of ur child to begin with? Did u not know the gender before this test? :flushed:

I did the natera test and they didn’t say anything about the ethnicity for me. They did find out I was having a boy though.

Not like you can just pop out a Mexican/ Asian baby. Either you missunderstood, they messed up, or one of you has these in you.

I got the ethnicity of my daughter on the gender genetics testing as well. She is half Hispanic and half Germanic (old term for European white.) My husband is Spanish so it makes sense. Just didn’t know we could get her ethnicity through genetics testing. It sounds like maybe you or your SO could have that somewhere down your gene line or it could be a mistake on their part. Sometimes genes don’t show up until generations later

Hispanic / I’m sure it didn’t say Mexican :woman_facepalming:t3:

7 Likes

This right here is EXACTLY the reason I tell others NOT to shake their tree too hard when they’re debating race and ethnicity… YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT ALL YOU ACTUALLY HAVE :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Have your own and your husbands done. You will find those listed.

Have your own ancestry done. You will find out what ethnic backgrounds made you, you will prolly be surprised

Definitely have hubby and yourself tested. Sometimes we’re surprised at what we have in us.

1 Like

They did one of these tests on identical triplets…all came back with different ethnicities despite coming from the same egg and sperm…

They do not test the race/ethnicity of an unborn child. Trust your provider. They know what they’re talking about.