Breastfeeding Struggle

I just delivered my baby a couple days ago. The lactation nurse told me it would be a few days before my milk came in…about 3-5. But I’m completely engorged. My baby doesn’t nurse long enough to relieve the engorgement. I tried pumping, but I’m only pumping so much. It’s almost like I can’t get “let down”. I’ve tried hot compresses, showering, massaging. I’m drinking plenty of water, but I can’t relieve the engorgement, and on the little bit of milk that can get expressed out, it leaves my boobs feeling lumpy in spots where you can tell the ducts are clogged. Has this happened to anyone else? When should I pump? Should I just not pump? I have no idea what to do, and I’m scared of losing my supply altogether and not being able to breastfeed. I never had this issue with my other children. But I’m so engorged, and my boobs hurt.

1 Like

Hello, I am sorry you are so uncomfortable. This is very normal. Your body makes tons of milk and your baby adjust the amount by how much is left in the breast after each feed. You can pump for just a few seconds to soften the nipple area so your baby can latch. Let your baby feed as long as he or she needs to but they will not empty the breast. After about 24 to 48 hours your breast should feel normal again and you may feel like you lost your milk. But now your body knows how much to make and how often. You should only feel that full feeling when you have missed a feed or it is time to feed you may feel fuller but you won’t feel engorged unless your baby misses feeds. Until your milk adjusts you can take warm showers, use hot or cold compresses, and take an anti-inflammatory for the discomfort. If you have any more questions you can contact me through here or on my instagram. I also have a YouTube channel where I discuss many different topics. Congrats on your new baby!

You can click here for my YouTube channel.

And you can click here for my instagram.