Can 6 year olds get anxiety?

I developed anxiety pretty young it would make my stomach hurt. I developed anxiety and depression both fairly young it all happened over the course of a few years but started at age 8-10

Testing anxiety exists, I did great on homework but knowing a test was coming I would bind up and not know the material. Get you kid with a therapist not a medical doctor, it’s not fucking constipation… 🤦🤦🤦

Yes, you can develop anxiety at any age but it doesn’t necessarily need to be medicated. Read up on coping mechanisms and work with him on grounding techniques. If he’s having chest pains, his doctor needs to evaluate that. He could have GERD that’s undiagnosed too, which can cause chest pains. (I’ve had GERD since I was an infant, I have a hiatal hernia). Push the issue with his doctor or find one who will listen to you.

My son (now 12) has terrible anxiety and has since he was about your son’s age. He’s not on meds but I do have him in counselling. He’s been in for a few years now and it helps him. When he has an episode at home I just help him calm down and breathe deeply. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t but I try every time. He’s much better with counselling. He is able to write his anxieties down and that helps him calm as well as he can see he’s stronger than what is triggering him. Try CMHA (Canadian Mental Health Association) for resources to help at home. Good luck mama! From one single mom to another, you can get through this!:heart:

Yes kids can have anxiety, there are also may other things that can cause such symptoms and sometimes doctors miss problems because they don’t check deep enough, even parasites can cause such symptoms. There are natural treatments for anxiety such as chamomile tea, but that can make one sleep.

My oldest daughter has had bad anxiety since she was about 4 1/2-5yrs old. She’s 8 now and we have a better handle on what makes her tick (so she doesn’t need medicine quite yet) but things like germs, lots of people she doesn’t know, things like that make her chest hurt and her “tummy gets all floppy” the pandemic really did a number on her but since she’s done distance learning this whole year she’s flourished quite a bit.

I’ve had anxiety since kindergarten. Definitely have him see someone to get it under control

1 Like

I’d take him to the dr.

1 Like

My youngest daughter has been having severe anxiety, claustrophobia and panic attacks since 4. They are a lot better. Research articles on resilient children, trauma-proofing your children and helping chilling overcome their anxiety! My therapist helps me teach my kids affirmations I can say to them and how to help face their struggles!

My 7 year old daughter has an anxiety disorder. We’ve seen a really good child psychologist for it who taught us how to retrain her brain when dealing with emotions by talking through what she’s feeling, why she’s feeling it and how normal that feeling is. It’s worked wonders for her and she hasn’t had to be on medication at all

Don’t ignore the chest pain. Have the Dr. Check out his heart. Not to scare you but kids that age can have cardiac issues. So please don’t just roll over on the racing pulse and chest pain. It could be a sign of something more serious. Better to be safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Yes, they can. My son is now 7, and we really started to notice it maybe around 5. They tried to say adhd, anything at first because of how he would act out when he was anxious. He doesn’t take any meds, I’m not for giving my children daily meds like that so young. We just found what triggers him, and ways to calm him down. But it is definitely possible for children to have anxiety.

Yes! My daughter has it and she is 5!

My son and daughter who is 2 and 3 has severe anxiety and a lot of it has to do with their past trauma.

you need to talk to his pcp and get a cardiac halter monitor on him to catch anything thats going on with him they’ll probably also do some ekgs. This is serious and needs to be looked into by his PCP!