Can a doctor legally refuse to do a membrane sweep?

I am 37 weeks pregnant and my doctor refuses to do a membrane sweep on me but i am miserable and cannot handle being pregnant any longer…i just want this baby out…can he legally refuse to do this if I am asking for it?

146 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can a doctor legally refuse to do a membrane sweep?

If not medically necessary I wouldn’t recommend it.

17 Likes

I would say yes they can. Because 3 weeks early is pre mature so it would be a liability for them.

27 Likes

yes he can, your not technically to term.
being miserable and over a pregnancy doesn’t mean a doctor has to do a procedure they are not comfortable doing at this stage.

35 Likes

Yes…doctors can refuse to treat just as you can refuse treatment

6 Likes

Yes. You aren’t full term so just because you want the baby out isn’t a valid reason. Premature births come with risks.

32 Likes

Yes because you being uncomfortable isn’t a reason to do it…

8 Likes

Labor starts when the babies lungs are ready. I had an August baby so I know you’re hot and sore and tired and you want to see that sweet baby face now but trust me- you’re gonna miss this. Just hang on sweet girl. You’re almost to the finish line.

13 Likes

I normally get mine done at 38weeks because I tend to have big babies… but they only recommend it if they are absolutely concerned.
Your baby needs that last 3weeks. That’s when they grow the most!🫶🏽

5 Likes

A lot of women can’t handle being pregnant at the end. But they do it anyway, the longer the baby can stay in there, the better. Unless it’s medically necessary of course.

11 Likes

I’m due in 8 days. I FEEL YOU. But… your baby still needs time and all the time in your womb is less complications and healthier baby. Hang in there mama!

10 Likes

Welcome to pregnancy the last four weeks are the longest you can only grin and bare it until the end unless you have a valid medical reason to induce. I’m guessing this is your first but either way I understand. You are in the home stretch.

3 Likes

Yeah he can refuse because your not full term. I was lucky my daughter was healthy at 36weeks when she was born emergency c-section. But my second I had to carry 41weeks for them to make me have her

1 Like

I would take the doctors recommendation. If baby still needs to cook then that’s what’s best for baby.

2 Likes

I’m not sure but my doctors didn’t offer it until 38 weeks, 37 is still a bit too early, and considered pre term labor. I feel you I had end August babies, in the hottest summers is miserable being so huge and pregnant, you can do it.

2 Likes

As a mother to a baby born premature I cannot for the life of wrap my head around this. Why on earth would you willingly risk your baby’s health for such a stupid selfish reason as being uncomfortable? I was so uncomfortable and hated being pregnant but hell I would’ve rather carried to term instead of what I went through having her prematurely(for real medical reasons)

22 Likes

He’s refusing to do it for the health of your baby. I know you’re absolutely miserable, I was pregnant around this time in Lousiana and thought I was never going to make it. Just push through and let your baby grow a little more. Your almost at the end sweet girl you can do this!

1 Like

Too early to have baby unless medically necessary.

1 Like

Of course if can , they will not risk the baby health just because you are uncomfortable :flushed:

2 Likes

Remember, their lungs are the LAST thing to develop

4 Likes

Yes they can. The babies health is a priority, your discomfort doesn’t mean anything to the baby…

14 Likes

What is the medical indication? Your discomfort or fed upness ( is that even English) is not a reason for the doctor to trigger labour prematurely

9 Likes

Um yeah they can refuse to do anything that may cause harm to the baby… the baby is premature at 37 weeks… just because you’re miserable doesn’t mean the baby is ready…

13 Likes

I had my oldest son at 38 weeks and was never offered this all they offered me was induction and then c section because I didn’t want to keep inducing since I couldn’t dilate passed 2/3

As someone who had a prem baby, be grateful you’re not going early. Just wait till baby’s ready

14 Likes

Most doctors won’t even schedule an induction before 39 weeks 38 at the earliest but that depends on weather not your high risk. My daughter’s is 37wks they have her scheduled for an induction at 39wks, but she just saw Doc and they checked her cervix they don’t expect her to make it to the induction she’s already at 2cm and her cervix is super soft. Hang in there your almost there.

1 Like

You’re 37 weeks which isn’t full term, no doctor will do a membrane sweep on you.

8 Likes

My dr refused to do a membrane sweep during all 3 of my pregnancies because I had placenta previa and she didn’t want to rupture my placenta. I was miserable and ready to be done as well. Currently expecting #4 and probably won’t be able to have it done this time either :sweat_smile:

Try different stretches and other safe remedies, I had extreme pelvic pain from 30 to 39 weeks to the point I could hardly walk. You have to stick it out for the health of baby

Yes doctor can refuse until 40 weeks. Hang tight momma your almost done.

2 Likes

Wow is this for real? Yes they can and so they should. Fair enough if its medically required, but just cause you dont want to be pregnant anymore is not a valid enough reason :woman_facepalming:

18 Likes

Ok. People… first of all… thats well into the 9th month! 40 weeks is 10 months! Can noone do math?

5 Likes

Yes they can refuse and they will until you are 39 or 40 weeks

And you don’t want it anyways THAT SHIT HURTS AND IF IT DOESNT WORK YOUR IN SOOO MUCH PAIN AND BLEEDING!

A membrane sweep isn’t garanteed to start labor. I had 2 of them done with my second pregnancy and I still ended up going 41+1. If they are refusing then trust there is a reason. They wouldn’t purposely make you uncomfortable just for the hell of it. I do relate to the struggle tho. My baby was 10.5 lbs at birth so I was extremely uncomfortable

4 Likes

You’re only 37 weeks you have plenty of time to go naturally. No need for a sweep. We were all impatient but baby will come when he/she is ready.

3 Likes

ACOG and SMFM use these definitions to describe term pregnancies: Early term: Your baby is born between 37 weeks, 0 days and 38 weeks, 6 days. Full term: Your baby is born between 39 weeks, 0 days and 40 weeks, 6 days. Late term: Your baby is born between 41 weeks, 0 days and 41 weeks, 6 days.
https://www.marchofdimes.org › w…
What is full term? - March of Dimes

1 Like

“Term pregnancy” is now being broken down into distinct categories.

Early Term: Between 37 weeks 0 days and 38 weeks 6 days
Full Term: Between 39 weeks 0 days and 40 weeks 6 days
Late Term: Between 41 weeks 0 days and 41 weeks 6 days
Postterm: Between 42 weeks 0 days and beyond

1 Like

As a mother of a micro-preemie and a preemie, it’s hard to understand or wrap my head around someone wanting to be induced early because they are uncomfortable. Yes 37, weeks is considered full term, but most doctors won’t induce or do a membrane sweep unless medically necessary. My first was born at 22 weeks and my second was born at 35 weeks by an emergency c-section after being induced due to medical issues. Was I miserable and in pain with my second pregnancy, absolutely, but I would rather go through all of that again if it meant him being born full term. It makes me sick knowing that women who can have a full term pregnancy don’t want to go full term, yet those that have complications such as myself can’t. I had to watch my daughter fight for her life day after day. I would have gave anything to have her full term. However, that’s now what his plans were for my daughter or myself.

17 Likes

Usually at 37 weeks you’re not even low enough for them to reach to attempt one…hell at 38/39 weeks with my last pregnancy I was still WAY to high for them to even try, and she did feel around to see if she could

2 Likes

Unless there is a medical reason for you to go early then it’s better for the baby to be in for as long as possible for development

7 Likes

You sign a release that says the Dr can and will use thier best judgment in your treatment

1 Like

They can… and they will till at least 38 or 39 weeks for sure… unless there is an urgent need for you to go into labor now… hang in there. You don’t have much longer!! :green_heart::green_heart:

1 Like

I’ll be honest none of you are answering her question… you’re all telling her she’s wrong for wanting to have a sweep however none of you know what she may be going through so none of your advice is valid… my pregnancy was awful I had pelvic displaysia and had no idea until after I had and found out a myriad of other health complications because of my pregnancy and at the time I had no idea what a pelvic support belt was which likely would have made it a million times better. So instead of berating her for asking a question just answer it properly or if you don’t know the answer scroll on

8 Likes

Uh, yeah. They’d prefer to weight until 39wks to ensure lumg development and no NICU stay for jaundice. :confused:
We know it sucks. I lost my plug at 35wks thinking I was ready, nope. It grows back. :woman_facepalming::joy:
2 weeks more. You can make it momma. Rest and hydrate.

4 Likes

Yes, he can. But ask what they can do to help you be more comfortable. What is your complaint about this stage if your pregnancy? I’m sympathetic to how much being pregnant in the summer sucks…my last baby is a September baby.

1 Like

Why would you want to endanger the life of your baby and risk baby not being ready just because you’re a little bit uncomfortable?! Yes they can and they will.

10 Likes

Unfortunately most places wont until 39 weeks. I was so upset and i had one of the providers say 38 weeks and when i went to that appointment and they said nO their policy was 39 weeks. I lost my $hit and walked out. I bawled everyday because i was in so much pain. they think my pelvis separate at 37 weeks. Early labor 3 weeks. Including being hospitalized and getting a morphine rest because id get contractions all night long and had a toddler and a job so couldn’t sleep during the day.

Everyone who said she shouldn’t want to do this, its perfectly ok for her to feel done and be absolutely exhausted being pregnant. Every pregnancy and person is different.

Yes he can! You don’t get to just decide when baby is ready. People saying people are being rude and not answering this womens question, but they’re in fact answering her. They’re also telling her how stupid this sounds to normal folks! I carried past my due date with all three of my children and was hella uncomfortable! Especially with my middle baby, I was sick as a dog 24/7 but ain’t no way in hell I would risk something not developing correctly because I had complications! No doctor would do this, they know the risk!

Yes that’s too early unless you have medical reasons. Discomfort isn’t a reason. I was miserable this last time I had a dislocated hip and I was high risk and 37 was too early

1 Like

They did my son then and he was born the next week. 37weeks is fine. My other sone was born just after 30 weeks, he was too early.

2 Likes

You can ask for a different doc. You pay them, meaning you can fire them at any point.

1 Like

I had a membrane sweep for my first two children at 37 weeks. No paperwork or nothing, I think it depends on ur doctor. 37 weeks is considered full term according to my doctors. My last kid came right at 37weeks on his own

1 Like

Why would one risk their baby’s life because they were uncomfortable?

15 Likes

They will not do it until 39 weeks. I get you’re miserable but everyone is at that point. We’ve all had to wait. You’ll be fine.

18 Likes

A doctor won’t do something just because you ask if they feel it isn’t the right thing to do. Theoretically they could risk their license by doing things that they don’t believe is medically necessary. 

20 Likes

I got membrane sweeps for both my children starting 37 weeks. My son was through my ob/gyn and my daughter was through a private midwife birth center. Both said 37 weeks was “full term” in survivability so no risk. Also starting evening primrose oil at 35 weeks is super beneficial.

Doing that doesn’t help half the time. Didn’t work with either of my two and had to wait until 40 weeks. It can cause infections and honestly it’s uncomfortable and hurts . It’s not worth it

4 Likes

I think we have to wait til 38 weeks here when bubs is considered to be full term x

1 Like

You’re asking him to put your comfort over your baby’s safety & his career. Yeah he can refuse. Many Drs won’t do anything to induce labor until past your due date.

21 Likes

Yep, they can refuse and there’s not much you can do about it except get another doctor who will. Even if they did do it for you, theres no gaurantee that it would start your labor.

5 Likes

Of course he can. He is looking after both you and your babies health.

7 Likes

Yes he can refuse. He could lose his license if anything happens to you or your child, over your discomfort. I get you’re miserable, I’ve carried 2 of my 5 to the full 40 weeks… but the last month is when they do the most growing. Grin and bear it.

4 Likes

Oh gosh. Yes they can. :expressionless:

LMAO I always wonder about the “questions” posed on this page… they’ve gotta be fake? Always “anonymous,” and always meant to stir up some sort of controversy. I genuinely hope people aren’t this dumb?? :joy::rofl:

9 Likes

Just do a hell of a lot of walking!! lol

2 Likes

That may not work anyway

My grandmother went through that 11 times back in the day.

2 Likes

Well next time before you get pregnant again remember thst a pregnancy is 40 weeks, the longer better xx

4 Likes

They usually don’t even do them until 40 weeks. And legally yes they can refuse.

2 Likes

Practice birth control next time

5 Likes

No they won’t. I had 5 surgeries while pregnant and they still wouldn’t consider taking him before 39 weeks

2 Likes

He could do one and it not work. Then you would blame him. If your body isn’t ready it won’t work.

3 Likes

37 weeks is still preterm. It’s not illegal. There is a chance it wouldn’t work. As much as it sucks, you need to wait until baby is closer to 39/40 weeks to come or for them to come on their own.

1 Like

Should have booked in for an elective caesarian :person_shrugging:t3:

7 Likes

I’ve carried until 41 plus 6, not receiving 3 sweeps until after 40 weeks, second baby received 39 plus 3, third baby received 40 plus 2, they dont intervine unless medical reasons im afriad x

4 Likes

You can ask, doctor doesn’t have to comply… 37 weeks is still considered preterm.

2 Likes

The doctors job is to do what is best for you and the baby, even if it goes against what you want.

11 Likes

Omg- 2 -3 more weeks— the baby’s health is important

4 Likes

100% legal for him to refuse. Your asking him to put your comfort before your child’s well being.

14 Likes

My nephew was born at 37w1d and in the NICU for 19 days. Maybe birth control next time? It’s not worth the chance

8 Likes

Some of y’all answers are just wild :rofl:

5 Likes

Hang in there a little longer. I know it’s miserable being pregnant in the summer. I went through it in New Mexico!!! It was awful! And part of the time we didn’t have air conditioning. Just hang on. You and the baby will be ok.

Of course it’s legal, If you’re not medically unable to carry this child longer, then he’s doing his job. A baby’s lungs, liver, and brain continue to develop during those last weeks of pregnancy, You can’t put your comfort over your babies health. You’re almost done, Hang in there.

9 Likes

Both my kids were born 37 weeks/36 and 6 days for different reasons and both fine with no nicu… try a pedicure I swear with my second I went into labor the day after I had a nice relaxing pedicure

1 Like

Believe me. You don’t want a NICU baby if you don’t need to have a NICU baby.

12 Likes

Hang in there. We all feel the same at this stage of pregnancy. Just done! They won’t do a membrane sweep until 38.5-40 weeks depending on the situation. Most drs want you to go into labour on your own. Good luck.

2 Likes

Yes he can legally refuse especially being there is no medical reason.Being fed up and pregnant isn’t a good enough reason.Why would you want to put your baby in danger?

10 Likes

Should have kept your legs shut LMAO

3 Likes

Yes he can.
Just because you think your pregnancy should end because you are miserable dose not mean that it should every week your baby is in the womb is important

8 Likes

Also I had my son early 36 weeks and he stayed in the NICU for 3 weeks because his lungs were not mature you may think oh I’m only 3 weeks away from my due date but that 3 weeks makes a hell of a difference

14 Likes

l Get paid over $112 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19744 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarWorth472.pages.dev/

Yes they’re 100% allowed to refuse a medical procedure they don’t think is necessary….

Being miserable those last couple weeks of pregnancy is not an excuse to kick baby out before their time just to make you more comfortable :woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

I went into labour 35 weeks he had to go to NICU it’s not worth it keep them in for as long as you can

2 Likes

Imagine being so selfish about being miserable when there are other people who can’t have kids or are paying thousands of dollars for IVF or spending thousands trying to adopt …. You should count your blessings and really rethink what you just said.

9 Likes

You’re not even full term??? Just wait smh

3 Likes

Lord Help this child growing up….

12 Likes

There’s no real reason except you’re starting to get whiny…Should of thought of that 9 months ago :rofl::woman_facepalming:t2:

10 Likes

At 38 weeks I completely understand the sentiment of not wanting to be pregnant anymore so I am not going to judge you. With this heat and feeling like a bloated whale I’m over it too. Being pregnant is hard and not an amazing experience for everyone but you are almost there! Baby will be here very soon and it will all be worth it. Hang in there, momma. You’ve already done 37 weeks, you can do three more!

6 Likes