Can a doctor legally refuse to do a membrane sweep?

What is wrong with you? Why wouldn’t you want ur baby to stay till full term? All these ladies on these mom pages begging for sweeps and induction after the 35 week mark for absolutely no reason other than I hurt or I’m ready. SMDH.

7 Likes

Yes they can… just try natural ways to induce labor if yours that miserable…

Your only 37 weeks… so yes. It’d be different if you were 40 weeks…

1 Like

Maybe just listen to your doctor. They probably know what they are doing.

6 Likes

Yes because you’re not 39 weeks yet. Just because you don’t want to be pregnant anymore isn’t enough of a reason.

4 Likes

Too early, it’s not recommended until the due date has passed.

2 Likes

My son was 3 weeks early and had trouble breathing for 12 hrs it’s not safe so yes he cam refuse.

5 Likes

They will not do it that early unless it’s medically necessary and being miserable unfortunately does not qualify

6 Likes

I was 37 weeks when I had a scheduled c-section my baby was estimated 9-10 pounder
Ask ur doctor why maybe ur baby is not big enough there has to be a reason why he won’t

1 Like

It’s illegal for him to even perform one if in the US. Full term is 39wks. Period. Membrane sweeps are a form of induction and unless medically indicated, can not be performed prior to 39wks.

4 Likes

Wanting baby out isn’t an excuse :joy: They are right to wait until the baby comes by itself.
I suggest you don’t have any more kids after this, if you believe your wants are above the babys needs.

19 Likes

At 37 weeks yes ! Your baby is not ready yet !
Just because you are ready does not mean baby is!

9 Likes

Yes he can refuse. Its his license on the line if something happens. They have to document everything they do.
One of my biggest pet peeves is when pregnant women “just want the baby out” or " can’t stand being pregnant anymore"
I had my son unexpectedly at 31 weeks and he spent many days in the NICU and had problems.
I would loved to to be able to carry him full term to avoid all of that.

6 Likes

I don’t think they’d do that until at least 39 weeks. 37 weeks may be considered full term but the baby isn’t ready if he or she is not coming. Have sex. That might get things popping.

Your body was/is no longer just yours when you conceived…your wants are not nearly half as important and your babies Needs. There’s a reason woman are pregnant for months, every day counts and is as important as the next…

Please don’t have more if this is your response to “wanting baby out”

7 Likes

Welcome to pregnancy. It’s uncomfortable and miserable, yes but why risk baby having health concerns?? So later you can try to sue the doctor because baby is born with complications because he/she wasn’t ready? Nahhh

2 Likes

Ethnically they won’t do them until 39 weeks! Your Dr does what’s best for you not what you want unfortunately.

2 Likes

Your doctor is the expert here and is likely doing (or not doing) what is medically best. In addition, the doctor also needs to be concerned about their liability. I would never expect my doctor to risk his/her career by “demanding” something that is not medically appropriate and/or creates a risk for no good reason.
I have 5 kids and I don’t know ANYONE who wasn’t “wanting that baby out” for AT LEAST the last 2-3 weeks so I get it. I won’t go as far as some comments to say that you’re “selfish” or otherwise insinuate that you are a bad mom. You’ve been carrying this new person in you for 37 weeks! It’s natural to want to finally take your body back.
My first baby came 10 days late. I also put on the most weight with her. She was born on Christmas Day but I had been scheduled to be induced 2 days later. With my last I had to be induced prematurely at 31 weeks. I had been diagnosed with uterine cancer at the time I discovered that I was pregnant and I KNEW all the way through that a premature birth was extremely likely. Despite every precaution taken and all of the planning that most premature babies don’t have the luxury of having, I was absolutely terrified. The irony wasn’t lost on me that my 4 previous pregnancies had me WISHING the baby would come sooner and I was now PRAYING for a full term pregnancy.
Hang in there mama! Your little one will make his/her grand entrance to the world soon enough. It might feel like these last few weeks are lasting for months but it’s worth it. I promise!!!

2 Likes

They won’t start labor or anything until 39 weeks

At your 38 week appointment. Say I want them out on the first day of week 39. My doc did it for me

1 Like

Yep he can. Baby isn’t even full term yet.

1 Like

It’s almost over
Breathe in and out
Relax
You’ll be wishing it back before u know it

2 Likes

Okay. First, it’s not selfish.
Anyone saying that doesn’t have to live in your body. They don’t know your pain and they don’t know your pain tolerance.
I literally felt like my vagina was going to fall out from 30 weeks on.
Also, 38-42 weeks is FULL TERM.
Those saying you still have 3 weeks are not completely correct. 40 weeks is just the middle of full term.
Matter of fact, 37 weeks isn’t even considered premature.
There are people on bestest who get induced at 34 weeks due to the fact they just can’t stand being in bed any longer.
Don’t let anyone tell you you’re selfish.

2nd they can do it at 37 weeks. I had it done twice, with my first and my last (both born at 37+4). My SIL had hers done at 37 also, just 4weeks ago (hers didn’t help).
If you are that miserable try the natural stuff like lots of walking, swimming, sex, ect.

You should probably trust your doctor’s judgement and be grateful he is holding your babies best interest over your uncomfortable feeling. That’s pregnancy, girl. It’s not always fun and sparkles

9 Likes

You’re in for a rude awakening once then baby is actually born if this is already your mindset. It’s not about you anymore.

Girl you’re almost there

They can’t do anything until 39 weeks. I remember how it feels to be that pregnant, but they have to wait til 39 weeks for a reason. Hang in there :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Have rough sex. It’s the same thing.

Why is everyone pro life until its a mom’s life???

3 Likes

The selfishness here is astounding. :woman_facepalming:t3: Your baby needs to be in there longer. It’s not about you being uncomfortable. I’ve had 5 kids and I’m pregnant with twins. I’m VERY uncomfortable. But for my babies sake I hope they stay in as long as possible. This is a short period of our lives. You haven’t gone into labor bc ur baby isn’t ready yet. Try to not think of only yourself for a couple weeks. Jesus. :woman_facepalming:t3:

10 Likes

Um yes. For one 37 weeks is an estimate. You could actually be 39 weeks or 35 weeks. So by doing that you could put your baby at risk. Is 2 or 3 weeks of not being pregnant worth the risk of you child being in the nicu with possible complications? Also just because you want something done, it doesn’t mean a doctor has to do it.

4 Likes

Oh yes. You are at their mercy!

Becoming a great person in life do take time but the time has come to your gate to get started with mrs lisa Jennifer she is actually the best in the Crypto trading contract her with the name below​:arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down::arrow_double_down:

Your baby is not ready to come out yet at 37 weeks. Take it from a mom who had both of her kids at 37 weeks. One was very jaundice and close to being in the nicu and the other kid ended up in the nicu

1 Like

I caused my own labor with one of mine at 37 weeks and hoooly do I regret it? Respiratory distress, jaundice, oxygen levels low, stopped breathing 3 times! 19 days in the NICU. Worst thing ever. I would highly encourage you to wait atleast 2 more weeks! :pleading_face:

3 Likes

I had a scheduled c section at 36 weeks and 3 days. With steroid shots to help her lungs. She came put 5lbs 7oz and couldn’t regulate her breathing. She spent 2 days in the nic u. I promise you don’t wanna see your baby in there hooked up to all kinds of machines and has to stay in there without you. It’s heartbreaking as a new mom. I’m not saying the baby will but it’s best for them bake as long as they need to without intervention. I know it’s so miserable. Just keep holding on, it’s all worth it.

3 Likes

They usually don’t do that till 39 weeks. It is uncomfortable but they are responsible if they do something early and it doesn’t go right. They have policies and insurances that only allow them to do certain things at certain times. They aren’t picking on you it’s just life. You have a few more weeks before baby is ready.

3 Likes

This is incredible wow :star_struck: I never knew investment in this trading platform is so profitable what a massive profit :partying_face: . Thanks so much Mrs lisa jennifer :two_hearts: for my successful investment am really grateful, to me this is more than a miracle securedbasefxoption is the best trading platform :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Mrs lisa jennifer

You are not full term yet. Maybe they will do that at 39/40 weeks. Nor usually before.

1 Like

You’re not full term that’s why. Stop trying to rush it damn. Membrane sweeps don’t even work most of the time anyway and they’re painful.

Yeah they really do have the right to say no till your 39 weeks or so alot of complications at 37 weeks

3 Likes

I had to have c-sections with both my girls and could pick the day I wanted it done. But it couldn’t be any earlier then 39 weeks. Doctors want baby’s full term. If you have no good reason to have baby early other then being uncomfortable consider yourself lucky. Pregnancy is not fun all the time.

6 Likes

My doc wouldn’t do it til 40 weeks I went into labor the morning of my appointment

1 Like

Membrane sweeps dont always work anyway. I had 3 done with my daughter and it didnt work still was induced. And then once with my son

1 Like

Yes your not do for 3 more weeks and as long as you and the baby are safe no dr is going to try to force the baby to be born early.

3 Likes

From someone who had hers at 35 and 37 weeks and they were 4 pounds 1 oz and 4 pounds 4 ounces. You being uncomfortable for 2 more weeks is worth it versus leaving your baby behind at the hospital in the nicu. You don’t have the doctorate degree he does and there’s a REASON why they won’t do it at 37 weeks simply because your miserable. I’m currently 23 weeks and it sucks but I would absolutely give anything to be able to go to term but I can’t due to being a T1 diabetic so they will only let me go to 38-39 weeks if the baby is looking good. Which means if I don’t go into labor naturally by then I’m forced to have a c-section. Which I absolutely do not want to have. Count your blessings :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Yeah and some won’t if you’re not dilated at all

1 Like

Your not even considered full term.

3 Likes

Yes. They legally can’t til 39 weeks

2 Likes

A doctor can refuse to do any procedure. It’s his practice.

8 Likes

Can he!?!:joy:
He just did!
I DK why you would want it done at 37 weeks, At 37 weeks they could be complication

4 Likes

Yes. They don’t want to be sued if something happens to your baby for medical malpractice and wrongful death if your baby ends up dying in the NICU because it wasn’t done baking, all because you are done being pregnant.

8 Likes

You’re not full term. My Dr didn’t do it until after I was 40 weeks

1 Like

That’s too early for one. They can’t until 39 weeks

1 Like

Yikes. Those hurt on me. Count your blessings because the last 2 weeks is for lung development.

4 Likes

Why would you risk your baby’s health for YOUR comfort. I’m sorry but pregnancy may be inconvenient or uncomfortable but unless your life is seriously at risk….WHY?

13 Likes

A membrane sweep isn’t going to guarantee that baby comes anyways​:woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Y’all are rude af. She’s asking. Keep your “how dumb” and “how dare you” to yourselves. Simple informative comments are suitable🙄

Please ignore the insensitive comments. My Dr did a membrane sweep at 37 weeks and it was his idea, I didn’t ask. My baby measured abnormally large. It didn’t work though and she came a day after her due date, over 10lbs. Just hang in there, your baby will be here soon!

1 Like

I wouldn’t ever ask a doctor to do that again they did with my 3rd baby and I had 2 premature babies after my baby was 6 weeks early after they did that thank god I got them shots for her lungs but wasn’t so so fortunate with my last they had no choice but to take at 37 weeks and her lungs wasn’t completely developed they had to stick all kinds of wires on my poor nugget for first 24 hours so keep baby in why would anyone want a membrane sweep just cause cramping 

1 Like

Pregnancy is for 40 weeks so once you’re 40 weeks they will. Don’t rush your baby its not readY

5 Likes

Everyone that far along is done being pregnant​:joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

No honey, they can’t induce you earlier than when you’re full term just because you’re tired of being pregnant. Lol. Hang in there, you’ve almost made it.

3 Likes

Yes you are only 37 weeks baby is not even full term yet. Why would you want to risk your baby having problems because he/she is too early all because you are uncomfortable? It’s one thing if you go into labor on your own but you are trying to force it.

They can and will refuse where they see fit. They will only intervene in the pregnancy when necessary. Their license is on the line. Out of 5, I only had 1 membrane sweep 3 days prior to induction because my blood pressure was high and she had stopped growing 2 weeks prior.

1 Like

I was told by my doctor that they can NOT legally induce until ur one week over ur due date. This is in Canada though, not sure where u r and what the laws.

Yes. Yes he can. Why on earth would you want to force a DOCTOR who doesn’t think it’s a good idea to do that? Who do you think you are that you can tell a doctor what they need to do? Are you also a doctor? Do you understand the possible complications? Do you even care that your baby might not be ready to be born? Or is this really just all about you and you don’t like being pregnant? I cannot believe that someone would be so selfish and show such disregard for their unborn child.

6 Likes

TOBP is not enough of a reason to try to start labor.

1 Like

If you are not ready for one physically as in your body is ready not just how you feel about it, then yes they can tell you no.

If they feel it’s to early they ofcourse would say no. I’d understand if baby was to large but baby is safer inside until ready to come out… just take it one day at a time. My ligaments loosend at 5 months with my daughter I was done then when I couldn’t pull my pants up or walk but made it to her due date, you can too :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

You don’t don’t strip the membranes until 40 weeks. You’re doctor is following protocol.

Dance. Walk. Bounce. Sex. Good luck!

• Nurse and mom of 4.

I didn’t get to be induced until 40 weeks :sweat_smile: my ob didn’t do any cervix checks or anything until I was already labor

37 weeks is considered early term. A general consensus amongst doctors is not to perform one until 39 weeks.

1 Like

Really…You should have thought of all this before you spread your legs

4 Likes

You being sick of being preggers doesn’t override your child’s need to have fully developed lungs … 37 weeks, with no complications or known problems, is simply to early to try to start inducing by any means.

5 Likes

Yep. And they’re really dangerous and completely unnecessary.

37 weeks is “early term” dr will not induce unless medically NECESSARY

2 Likes

Are you for real…its about the baby

4 Likes

They didn’t do mine until 39 weeks so yes they can. They want baby to develop as much as s/he can

2 Likes

although 36 weeks is considered “full term”, 39 weeks is the safe mark for baby’s to be born. Most doctors refuse to do anything before 39 weeks for the baby’s sake! The end of pregnancy can be VERY frustrating. But just cause you’re ready for baby to be here, doesn’t mean baby is ready to be here. Please do not rush labor. There’s soooooo many complications that can arise from that! Complications that could very well be avoided by being a little patient with baby! If the end of pregnancy is to much for you to bare physically, if you’re able to, go on self ridden bed rest until baby is ready to come! I promise, you won’t regret it, mama.:heart:

1 Like

Yes lol he can refuse to do anything. You are 37wks they usually don’t do those til 38-39wks anyway. You are barely full term.

1 Like

Hell yeah he can! Listen your doctor’s PRIMARY concern is for you and your baby to be healthy. There’s probably a reason that he is refusing. Now what if he did the sweep and your baby’s lungs aren’t mature yet? Then you will have a baby in the NICU with a breathing tube. I’m quite sure your baby’s health is more important to you than your comfort. Hell I get it. I have 4 kids and whew, those last few weeks tore my a** up. But guess what, once you get to hold your baby and see that beautiful face, that discomfort will be all forgotten. :woman_shrugging:t4: Hang in there, it’s only 3 weeks to go. :wink:

6 Likes

Wth. You shouldn’t be a mother talking like that. Your Dr. Should send you for mental health check

1 Like

The earliest they would even think about that with me was 39 weeks .
Here is some tips to get the ball rolling . It may be uncomfortable but you can start priming yourself and give baby the extra couple weeks she/he needs .
Sex - orgasms
Sitting on a bouncy ball and bouncing gently,
Long walk , These are some natural ways of getting yourself ready for delivery day .
Stay away from Castor oil ! It doesn’t work for many woman and makes them unbelievably sick .
Until then get lots of sleep and rest . Get your hospital bag packed and everything ready . Complete your nesting stage :heart:

Yes. They won’t do it without medical necessity. You don’t get to just decide to not be pregnant anymore. Wait for labor. It’s better for you and the baby to let it happen naturally as possible

Yes they can refuse lol? I’m sorry you’re miserable, pregnancy isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

A lot of doctors won’t do a membrane sweep at 37 weeks because they want you to carry the baby full term, you know, the entire 40 weeks…. Which is healthiest for the baby……

Technically 39 weeks is the “safe point” for a baby to be born.

I’m not trying to be rude. I get it. Pregnancy is rough the last couple months. But please for your baby’s sake, just let your body do what it knows to do. Let nature take its course. Good luck.

Yes. Shouldn’t do it till at least 39 weeks

I was walking up stairs and ladders at 9 months because my work did not want to follow my restrictions. I know it is frustrating, I feel you totally but just give the baby a couple more weeks :heart: you will be thankful you waited that couple weeks.

I can’t even believe I’m commenting dumbest shit I ever heard… removing myself from this group…if you are on here you should take check of yourself

My dr told me the earliest they could do it was 39 weeks.

He’s the doctor, not you

1 Like

37 weeks is not Term
So try and be patient
Your baby will come when ready

1 Like

Yeah…
You can wait…
baby isn’t ready… do you want your baby to be miserable coming when clearly not ready??
You are not full term… full term is 39+…
You’ve gone this far, you can go another few weeks…
I really love your doctor.

2 Likes

So reading definition of how or when it should be done: “Membrane Sweep: Benefits, Risks & How It Works
A membrane sweep is when your healthcare provider sweeps a gloved finger across the membranes that connect your amniotic sac (a fluid-filled sac that contains your baby) to the wall of your uterus. It’s performed once your cervix has begun to dilate and can’t be done if your cervix is still closed.” Perhaps your cervix hasn’t dilated yet because you are not in active labour yet? Which means the procedure is too risky or doomed to fail. No intervention will take place before 42 weeks unless baby becomes medically distressed or your own stats become dangerous, sorry.

1 Like

It’s painful. And they will only do it that early if you’re already dilated/effaced. It’s best to just wait for baby to decide he or she is ready to come out.

1 Like

Be patient that baby will come on its on my dad always said when the apple is ripe it will fall

You are seeing an OB because you are not one.
Follow their advice.
Just like when you don’t know shit about cars, you take yours to a mechanic.
Same concept. “Uncomfortable” and pregnancy go hand in hand.
But I am sorry you’re uncomfortable. Been there and don’t miss it!

Yes you are not term yet.

1 Like

If ur 35 years old and up still won’t do til 38 weeks

I had to wait until I was 39 weeks to get a sweep