Can baby have water?

My doctor told me to give my 5 month old water because he is constipated but google told me not to do this as babies cannot have water…who is right?

145 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can baby have water? - Mamas Uncut

I would recommend calling the nurse help line. See what they say.

I think if I believed Google over my Dr I’d switch Dr’s lol…

4 Likes

At 5 months I’d say it’s ok to give baby some water

1 Like

So you trust Google over your doctor?

1 Like

Your doctor?? They’re a medical professional??

4 Likes

ALWAYS follow Drs instructions not google! The web is the worst place for medical advice.

8 Likes

Listen to the doctor. They also suggest giving water when it’s hot out.

1 Like

Listen to your doctor

An ounce or 2 of water is fine. They worry about fluid overload with babies. Just make sure the baby’s fontanelle (soft spot) isn’t bulging.

Listen to your doctor

1 Like

Filtered water, the same you would mix in with your formula is fine. Listen to your doctor hun if you want a second opinion consult another pediatrician not google ! Best of luck momma :heart:

1 Like

Your pediatrician is right.

They can have water and they can have Pedialyte, if you’re worried about the water.

Small amount of water is okay, like 1-2oz a day.

Water like doctor says. A Lil every once in awhile cleans their mouth to prevent thrush, which is bacteria build up, also

My baby is 8 months and she loves water :grin:I don’t give her too much tho lol

I gave my two year old water at 2 weeks…they get thirsty just like us. Small amounts daily will not hurt at all. My great grandma used to say that lol. People have been doing it for centuries.

2 Likes

Give him the water, I’m sure your doctor knows more than google.

7 Likes

The doctor. Give your baby water

2 Likes

And where did Google get their medical degree? :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Filtered warm water would be fine, and would help with constipation

Didn’t realize google was a board certified doctor now. Man, this is going to save me so much money now!

7 Likes

Your doctor… the one who went to school for many years to be able to tell you what is best for your kid… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Please never choose google over your child’s Dr.

7 Likes

My Gma laughed when I told her babies couldn’t have water…‘oh in my day’ lol then she said what do you mix the formula in :thinking:.
Been giving my twins water since they were 2 weeks old for hiccups (maybe an oz or 2) and when I stopped breast feeding and went to formula I mixed it with…water.

1 Like

Water?..put a little in a bottle and give it to em

3 Likes

I’m kinda thinking if you don’t trust your pedi get a new one if I listened to Google over my dr I be dead

3 Likes

Water is life bodies need water no matter the age

1 Like

Yep. But I only did an ounce at a time- like once a day

1 Like

You can give baby water but not tap water it’s gotta be filtered water

1 Like

Around 6 months, you can start offering your baby a little bit of water (4-8 oz/day, 0.5-1 cup/day) in an open, sippy, or strawed cup. This helps develop cup drinking skills and familiarity with water.

5 Likes

I gave my babies water from birth :thinking: it changes all the time and don’t forget you was likely fully weaned by the time you were your babies age :slight_smile: and also stick a little bit of sugar in to boiled water and it’s meant to help constipation, always worked a treat for my boys :slight_smile: x

4 Likes

Why wouldn’t you listen to your DR?:thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

I have my babies water

1 Like

I added a tiny bit of 7 up in the water. Just barely enough to make it have flavor.

7 Likes

Is this legit?! Why would you listen to google over your child’s own pediatrician?! Shame on you

4 Likes

I would never give my baby under 6 months anything but formula or BM

Definitely google. :roll_eyes: Duh. I mean I would be dead for the 17,674 time if I listened to Google.

2 Likes

Water is fine, listen to pediatrician, I give my 5 month old water because of how hot it gets. It’s good in small amounts, it’s a concern if baby is given too much water

If you question your doctor you should probably get a new one

2 Likes

Abit of brown sugar in the water will help with constipation

This is a joke right?

My doctor told me 6 months. So why is the baby constipated should be the first question. Finding the root of cause.

2 Likes

Listen to your doctor. Small amounts of water are fine.

1 Like

I had 7 babys and they all did fine I added a little sugar

1 Like

I would trust my doctor over Google

1 Like

When google is more educated than a doctor means we’ve done something wrong here…

3 Likes

Water can cause an Electrolyte imbalance and seizures. Our sitter gave our daughter 5 ounces of water when she was about 3-4 months old. We had to leave work when she told us that. Our nurse on call and pediatrician had us monitor her for 24 hours for nystagmus, balance issues and seizures. EX sitter.

9 Likes

No. No water. A lot of doctors are outdated…

Babies can and should drink water. Why wouldn’t you think your doctor was correct?

Definitely listen to Google. Your doctor may have gone to school for 8-10 years, but the internet doesn’t lie. Water obviously kills babies. This baby was given water, now look at him!

17 Likes

Listen to your child’s Dr. A little bit of water is fine as per Dr’s advice. What you’re think about is different. Thats talking about people who water down formula on a consistent basis everyday to stretch the formula. Giving extra water for consumption issues for a few days is perfectly fine. Giving extra water everyday to stretch formula is not ok. As long as you’re giving baby theor regular normal Amount of formula plus a little bit of water for just a few days then it’s fine.

1 Like

I gave all three of my children water & they are fine

Little amounts are fine. Not all at once in large amounts, that is dangerous.

1 Like

Is baby formula fed? Only give baby distilled water! Baby can overdose on minerals if formula fed and given tap water or “added minerals for taste” waters! If formula fed just add extra water (.5 oz) to formula bottle 2-3 times a day.

1 Like

I was told by my doc to start giving a couple oz of water a day for constipation… you can start by giving more water in formula bottles first just to water down feedings for this too…

I would go with bottled filtered water instead of faucet water. Also diluting Apple or prune juice would help too. Like One ounce of juice to 3 or 4 ounces of water.

Babies have been fed water Forever… the human body needs water

6 Likes

I gave my baby some every day from birth. A little bit doesn’t hurt

1 Like

Are you actually asking if you should trust google over your doctor ?! If you mistrust your doctor THAT much, you need a new one. Google can bring up anything, anyone, anywhere posts or makes up. Do NOT choose the internet over a professional doctor…:woman_facepalming:t2:

14 Likes

My mom’s old ass pediatrician recommended giving her chonky infant skim milk instead of formula before age one. I’d ask another pediatrician over Google but not just blanket trust one doctor because they don’t always keep up on more recent medical advice

Oz per age a day is what our pediatrician told us. 4 months can have up to 4oz total of water in a day. I mean if you formula feed you are giving them water with vitamin/mineral powder added to it.

3 Likes

I worked pediatrics for many yrs… not water. You can water down juices. Rectal thermometer with some Vaseline in it. Put it in butt, take it out repeat. You can try pushing up knees to belly gently few times. Put a warm compress on the belly. Lol- I was the depooper at work. Good luck.

If u feel like u need to question it then go see another dr about it - but don’t listen to google to make ur choice.

2 Likes

You can always ask for another doctor to give you a second opinion.

1 Like

Wartered down prune or pear juice works for constipation

2 Likes

Listen to your doctor. I gave babies water and had no problems. We are not talking a whole bottle just a little here and there

1 Like

Kelly Moskal
:woman_facepalming:t5::woman_facepalming:t5::woman_facepalming:t5::woman_facepalming:t5::woman_facepalming:t5:

1 Like

Lmao why would you trust Google over a dr? Yes if the dr okayd water for constipation then give the baby some water

Go with your gut. Ive been giving my children water since they were months old and they’re perfectly fine.

My mom had 5 kids many grandkids and great grands…my kids grand kids we all drank water…and we’re still here. It’s so ridiculous the things that are no no’s now, we’re yes yes and yes way back in the day. A little water is OK.

1 Like

But you mix your baby formula with alcohol? Its mixed with…water.

2 Likes

You are questioning the Dr who went to medical school to be a Dr. Definitely listen to Google because that’s…well, all powerful google. If you still have concerns your next step should be asking a bunch of random strangers on Facebook what to do

11 Likes

SOOOOO your decided to ask FB for advice, after you Google advice instead of listening to your child’s doctor. Are you dead ass slow right now? :sob: This is why everybody shouldn’t be a parent.

I would definitely trust your doctor over Google.
We didn’t start giving my baby eater til we started solids at 5.5 months, but it’s safe for them to have a couple of ounces before then…and it does help with constipation.

2 Likes

Mine all had water, but watch them. Sometimes they choke on it.

You can give your baby some water it won’t hurt them. When my daughter was that age and constipated I would give about 2oz of water and some prune juice to help

1 Like

A little bit won’t hurt, but you have to watch because it can cause them to choke easily. I always gave my babies a little water if they was constipated or what not.

If breastfed up your water intake.

I never gave any of my kids water until they ate table foods.

1 Like

I make my kids to drink water from a month old

Of course babies can have water. I avoid tap water ( filtration, etc.) But yes.

10 years ago that was what we were told but now my baby’s pediatrician said up to 1 oz for each month of age is safe for baby :heart:

1 Like

Bubs can have water. Put cooled boiled water in a baby bottle.

Listen to your pediatrician. I would not trust Google over a pediatrician ever.

10 Likes

My daughter is on medication and requires a feeding tube through her nose. Her doctor told me sometimes if needed I’d be able to push her meds through the tube followed by 3ml of water. It’s not harmful at all but done constantly could cause issues.

If you’re doctor tells you something you should probably listen and if you’re uncomfortable with whatever then they know alternative methods. If you don’t trust your child’s doctor then I recommend switching.

1 Like

The reason that water is not suggested for infants is because they can fill their bellies on water and then they don’t have room for the milk their bodies need full of the good stuff to help them grow. They can have little bits once they start having purées or cereal. I personally haven’t heard of water helping with constipation but for every baby I have ever known, prunes does wonders for helping with pooping. Try tiny spoonfuls of puréed prunes and I bet that will help a ton. Good luck! Don’t listen to rude people on here. Google and doctors can both be wrong plus things can change. You should never be afraid to ask questions to keep your baby safe

… doctor. Give the baby small amounts. oz per age 4months old can have 4oz in a 24hour time frame.

5 Likes

Babies can have water. Make sure they are getting the full amount of milk a day first, usually 2.5oz per body weight, ans then you can give a little water.

2 Likes

I was told my babies could have water (probably more than they should of) and they are still living at 29 & 31.:grimacing:

I used to give boiled water with tiny bit vegetimite

Water with prune juice warmed up a bit

If you trust Google more than your doctors you may want to get a new doctor. Also yes your baby can have water

6 Likes

Water is fine. 5 months old isn’t a new born. We go to the doctor to get advice from a trained professional. Why go if you then decide fb would have better information

5 Likes

Babies have cool boiled water from birth on

3 Likes

Genuinely do not want to offend as I know being a parent can be overwhelming, but I’m genuinely asking you. if you are really questioning if the advice Google, (not an educated and trained medical professional), is offering is correct as it conflicts with the advice of a trained Medical professional…?

Do you have precious concern re this doctor?

1 Like

Water is not better than milk for babies. Milk has fats that help the baby grow (brain development and all). Giving water means the baby will fill up with less nutrients. Water won’t hurt the baby but a lot of water without adequate milk will cause growth issues long-term. Follow your doctor.

3 Likes

1oz for each month of age. Purified water if you can. (If you want a second opinion I do recommend seeing another pediatrician vs the internet)

4 Likes

Seriously, you going to listen to Google ahead of the doctor? Of course babies can have water.

2 Likes