Can I get food stamps If I am no longer living with my husband?

Is anybody married but not living with their husband and getting food stamps? I recently got married, but my husband lives in a different state for his job, and I haven’t reported the fact that we got married to the food stamp office because I cannot afford to lose them just because of the fact that I am married. Will it affect my food stamps even though we don’t live together

35 Likes

Yes if you share money.

Depends, when I first got married my husband & I lived separate due to his job & where we were legally married he made too much.

1 Like

Not sure why you bothered even getting married if you rely on government assistance…

11 Likes

It shouldn’t as it should be household income only if he’s sending you money to help then that would effect

Yes because you have two incomes technically. Report it. Don’t get in trouble for fraud

4 Likes

Yes you should put him down they can n will find out you are married and it will bit you in the butt

5 Likes

This is literally fraud if you’re not telling them

16 Likes

I believe it’s income based and if your married you have to count both incomes but not totally sure. I’d maybe call them with a hypothetical situation and see what they say.

3 Likes

I think it really depends on the state. I know in PA they only count the income of the people living in the household

1 Like

It shouldn’t cause yall buy and cook separately

3 Likes

So I was separated from my ex husband not even legally and I did :woman_shrugging: we were getting divorced (divorced now) and they said since I lead a separate family

Better to be honest. If they find out they can ban you from getting them again.

9 Likes

You have to show that you live at a different address

1 Like

Yep that’s called fraud.

11 Likes

His income is included in foodstamps applications. Whether he resides in the state or not, you’re married and his income counts.

8 Likes

No tell them you separated my friend got food stamps an they was married but separated

Yes it will effect your food stamps if he makes too much but If you don’t report it they can get you for fraud.

2 Likes

Income based. So yeah you’ll lose them. And yeah totally fraud not telling them.

14 Likes

I would think that’s illegal.

8 Likes

Yes have to report everything, if his income is part of the household income it will affect your benefits.

4 Likes

If your husband is financially supporting you, then tech you’re supposed to report it. You not reporting you’re married also is fraud. I’m just saying as someone nice that if you get caught, you’ll lose them and probably never be able to get them again. Better to report it.

8 Likes

You need to report you got married. They will find out…and they can remove your benefits and you will have to back pay it. Just happened to someone here…didnt report the change…and 6 grand back pay…a year in jail and no more eligibility for assistance

7 Likes

I separated from my husband (not legally) & was eligible to get them.
But we weren’t sharing money anymore.
If he’s giving you money (which I’m sure he is) it will be counted as income for you, so yes it would affect it.
But it they find out your married & haven’t reported the changes, its legally fraud. You can be charged & ordered to pay it all back. If not more consequences.

8 Likes

Yes you need to report your married with his income … it’s all tied in with your social security

2 Likes

Here in arizona it goes by people living in the household and income combined. So if you have 3 people living in the house, there is a certain amount you make that disqualifies you for food stamps. For a family of 3, if you make over $1,778 per month you would not qualify. (This is Arizona numbers, idk about other states)

Yes. If you don’t report all new incomes it would be considered fraud to do otherwise and could have serious repercussions, if caught

3 Likes

Depends on how much the two of you make together (cash) and if you live in the same county or not

Yes report it. If you don’t and they find out you can loose food stamps for ever and even end up having to pay all the money back that you have received since you got married and you can go to jail. It is called fraud.

3 Likes

You need to report it. Yes you can get food stamps but they will require him to pay child support. Me and my husband just separated and I got on food stamps and he is being compliant with child support.

Its income of people LIVING in the household…say u two separated

1 Like

You have to count both incomes. Not reporting his income can end up costing you more $ than losing the foodstamps will

1 Like

You are going to have to tell them you are married. If you don’t, that is fraud and you can get in big trouble for it once they find out. And they will find out.

3 Likes

If he lives in a different state it would be considered separate house hold so you are fine

It’s fraud if you don’t and you can go to jail

What state, I live in Texas and my friend did that and they kicked her off and docked her taxes to pay it back

1 Like

It’s fraud if your not telling them your married and being government they will find out

2 Likes

If he is supporting you yes it

U need to report it if they find out later they can come after u to get the overage back

1 Like

Idk what will happen but you need to report that ASAP. They will find out and you’ll be screwed with fraud and so will he. You will both go down and since he’s your husband he will be responsible to pay every penny back if he’s head of house

Yes, report it. Why? You could be audited by the attorney general of your state. Its considered income.wether he is there or not.

1 Like

If the gov’t finds out, and they will because they actually check these things. Not only will they not help you again, or anymore. They will sue you for every penny they’ve given you. I watched it happen to a few people. You need to tell them you’re married. And hopefully in your situation they will still help you

2 Likes

Yes in Wi you have to report it. An I would before someone else does

1 Like

Even if someone lives there, doesn’t help you, lives separately they’ll deny you. I take care of my dad (disabled and retired) he wouldn’t give any info, documents etc and they refused me so it’s hard

Why cheat the system… depending where you live they will go by who lives in the house however if hes sending you any money or you have joint bank accounts youll.be screwed.

4 Likes

What are food stamps? I’m Australian :relaxed:

Yes and if they find out and you didnt say anything you will be fined must pay back all stamps and no longer be eligible for services

I think that it depends on the household income including what he gives you. They might just lower the amount of food stamps.

Are food stamps to go and get free food from grocery store?

3 Likes

His income will count if you’re married. If someone reports you or the state finds out it could result in an overpayment and you will have to pay it back and could lose your benefits.

4 Likes

It’s fraud if you don’t report it and regulation is if he is in the home one time a month he should be included.

2 Likes

Where does your husband’s mail go? If his DL and everything is your address then he is counted in your household. I assume you get money from him too.

4 Likes

That is fraud. You are married and withholding information. If you are married he should be supporting you and any children or you can get a job.

10 Likes

I’d report it, idk if they’ll cut u off, depends if he really has q separate address or not, if he’s considered living with you, they’ll probably consider his income

I’m not 100% but I believe if you live in different households it wont effect you because they are based on income in the home an his income is not in the home. Again not positive.

2 Likes

You are fraud the welfare system.

12 Likes

I am still technically legally married but I receive food stamps because my husband is no longer part of my household, we are going thru a divorce though so I’m not sure if it’s the same thing. I just explained my situation to the worker.

3 Likes

You need to tell them the charge in status but if he doesn’t help support the household or eat with you then his income shouldn’t affect yours

You only have to report income of people living in the home.

2 Likes

If he lives separately and u make u meals separately it shouldn’t make a difference. Idk about if he’s sending u money or paying ur bills. I think they have a standard household deduction they count as ur bills. Do not get urself caught in a situation that I can get in trouble 4. It happened 2 an ex friend of mine when she lied n said they were split and they found out. Anything over $2000 is considered felony. She almost got in a lot of trouble had her hubby not took it out of his retirement fund early 2 repay it. They counted her food stamps and medical card what the premium woulda been. It was a mess.

Openly admits she cheats the system…

Classy…

17 Likes

Why don’t you get a job?

11 Likes

Yes u can. U have to re-file as separated, head off household.

You should still get them. The only way you can legally get in trouble is if you don’t report an income change. So if you’re still making the same amount of money you should be fine to leave it alone.

Also, I believe they ask about living situations specifically too. At least in PA they do. Something along the lines of household members not residing in the home.

Iys fraud and if they find out you not only will loose your food stamp privileges you will have to repay every dollar since whatever date they give .

3 Likes

Im seperated from my husband i get stamps and i reported it the min he left me my food stamps jumped

1 Like

Be honest, you are married so report it

3 Likes

Hun what you are referring to is fraud. If you 2 are separated that’s one thing but it sounds like you guys are together and just living in different states. It will affect your food stamps because they will use his income. Now you can choose not to tell them but that’s welfare fraud.:woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

You have to prove that you aren’t living with him and living off his income. Every situation is different. I cant believe the negative comments! You all dont know her situation

Depends. If he isn’t living in the home they may not, but you should report it. When I separated from my ex, I was still married, but since he wasn’t in the home I just used my income. But since you’re still together that may be a different scenario as I’m sure they would expect him to give you money.

You will be forced to pay back and get in lots of trouble once they find out and you will get caught that you are married

1 Like

if he’s married to you, he’s responsible for your food and needs, whether or not you live with him. If you’re legally separated (filing for or contemplating divorce") he is not. A married couple are combined incomes, and they don’t give two twits where you live aside from that. You may have to pay them back if you’re caught, and you can’t tell me they can’t access this information.

1 Like

Cash aid he has to pay back

You need to tell them my cousin was put in jail for not telling them

1 Like

It depends on your state honestly. Sometimes even if you’re married but not living together they dont count his income

1 Like

So he’s working out of state and not providing for your family?

1 Like

Its fraud! Someone will report you so better off doing it yourself, if I knew someone like you I would report you in a heartbeat!

10 Likes

Tell them and they will date he left and ask your landlord to write a letter saying hes not their anymore , and a friend !

You have to report that you are married but not living together. Otherwise it will be a federal fraud case. You may end up in jail and pay every penny plus back.

7 Likes

They will give you the food stamps if you qualify but they will also open a child support case through the state.

4 Likes

If you’re married or share children his income could affect your amount if not cut you off.

2 Likes

Is your husband not sending you money from his job out of state?

3 Likes

You are married, you have to report all family income. Benefits are based on family income, whether you live in the same residence or not.

6 Likes

Tell them now or risk having to pay back benefits as well as losing them and get in a shit ton of trouble

Yes because you technically share a home and his income is your income. I’d get it straightened out, the sooner the better. You may not lose them but it may be a lower amount

Get caught and may lose them forever, regardless of how bad you need them.

1 Like

I’m not sure what state you live in, but where I’m from, I’m almost positive that is fraud. It’s situations and scammers like this that make it so dang difficult for the people who actually need help to get it. I’m guessing the husband helps pay household utilities and most bills, so you would be REQUIRED to report his income whether he is living in your home or not. :woman_facepalming:t3:

11 Likes

Id take this post down and go to the welfare office and explain to them your situation. You are openly admitting on social media you are committing fraud

12 Likes

If you do not report a change in status, it is fraud. That simple.

4 Likes

They have food banks to help with supplemental food as well.

2 Likes

Not the brightest bulb are we lol

7 Likes

If yoy do not report his job no matter where ir is you are comitting fraud. They will find out, especially when you file income tax. You are better off reportin. Is he not supporting you?

4 Likes

Food stamps goes of off income in and how much rent, bills, etc that you pay. So if you’re paying rent on two households they will take that into consideration. You NEED to report it because if they find out they can 1. Prosecute for fraud and make you pay back all you’ve been given and 2. Ban you from getting food stamps in the future.

5 Likes

Hi… To answer your question… yes… you need to report any changes in marital status, household composition and income as a condition of eligibility for food stamps. If you are married and simply not reporting it because you are afraid of losing your food stamps, that’s called Fraud and you could be sanctioned, be made to repay what you weren’t entitled to and could be arrested for it! Spouses are considered financially responsible for each other and mandatory inclusions on a case. As far as your living arrangements, it depends… are you separated? Do you otherwise live as husband and wife? Who is paying the bills? Is his absence temporary or permanent? I would encourage you to be honest about your situation and let the agency issuing your benefits determine if you are eligible.

3 Likes

Okey someone tell me what a food stamps is lol

Your really going to be living separately if you go to jail for welfare fraud. Not trying to be an ass, but they take that very seriously these days. Explain to them you got married if he doesn’t live with you more than 6 months out of the year, they probably won’t count his income anyways.

You and your children should not go hungry, just talk to your case worker. Also church food pantries can help! Life is difficult and negotiating your way through it can be challenging.

2 Likes

It’s best to be honest because they could garnish you or your husband’s wages if they find out and charge you with fraud. That’s the worst case scenario.

2 Likes

People like you are the reason it is so dang difficult for the ones that truly need help to get it!!! What you are doing is called FRAUD!!!

23 Likes