Can I get food stamps If I am no longer living with my husband?

Okay this is what you’re going to have to do you’re going to have to get a statement from his boss saying when he started working out of state plus you will have to get a money order receipt from your husband showing how much money he sends to you to help with the bills each time your husband sends you money you need to hang on to the receipt because that is what you’re going to have to show to the food stamp office plus all of your bills and you’re going to have to do this probably every month… you will need your marriage certificate to show them that you got married to just let them know that you didn’t know that you were supposed to do this and maybe they will let it slide it hasn’t been too long… or you may just have to pay back what they paid you I don’t know you will have to see what the food stamp office has to say everybody on here does not know everything that might happen so don’t listen to the people just do what you’re supposed to do at the food stamp office by taking your marriage license to them and a statement from his boss showing when he left and started working out of state and how much he sends you to pay the bills and how much your bills are and take your bill statements with you… your rent or mortgage the power bill your gas bill water bill your phone bill and so on… good luck

2 Likes

Not reporting your marriage to them is very serious. Its fraud. You need to report it before they find out or you could lose benefits from them for life. His income is your income. My husband makes too much so I had to end all assistance.

4 Likes

They’re going to make you pay back everything once you tell them that you’re married and they’re GOING to find out. You’re supposed to report EVERYTHING within 30 days. You are commiting fraud.

4 Likes

In my state, the longer you dont report that income they can and will garnish whatever income to make up for what they overpaid you.

2 Likes

I would report it as soon as you can. I know someone going through food stamp fraud (baby mama was collecting when child was at dad’s). Dad currently lost his license, had court today, and might need a lawyer. They’ll take your license away until you pay everything back. You’ll be paying for court fines, money to reinstate your license, and possibly an attorney for fraud and/or the tickets if you get pulled over driving without a valid license if they find out. It’s not worth it in the long run.

1 Like

Yes you can get them as long as you just report to them that you do not live with him

3 Likes

Eh. His income is not your income. It doesn’t matter if you’re married or not it matters if you’re living together. It’s not relationship status it’s household income

3 Likes

So you and your husband can afford 2 separate places to live and still be on food stamps. Meanwhile im in a studio at a hotel with my fiance and baby and cant get on foodstamps. Cool​:ok_hand::ok_hand:

14 Likes

Girl you better hope they don’t figure it out. Next time they run your ss# it will show your last name changed and you’ll have to pay all that money back and probably be fined

5 Likes

U have to report and it’s income based so u have to report his income as well as what both u pay for utilities rent/mortgage phone bills and stuff like so on and so forth between the both of u which means living in 2 different houses and 2 different utilities and they have to take all thsi into consideration as well

3 Likes

You’ll probably be even worse off when they realise you’ve been committing fraud and make you pay everything back… Food stamps will be the least of your concerns!

3 Likes

Proof of legal separation and then they’ll want you to go forward with child support eventually

1 Like

They can now access your tax records. I wouldn’t lie if I were you.

2 Likes

Thats called fraud. How about your “husband” helps instead if you living off tax payers money when you clearly don’t need it.

4 Likes

He needs a seperate address as a homebase

They will find out,they always do.Tell them before is they find out, till have to pay it back.

1 Like

Do you have access to his money? If yes then you need to report his income or else you’ll be committing fraud and wont be able to get food stamps ever again.

2 Likes

Yeah well intentionally lying for your monetary gain in this instance is called fraud so. Do with that info what you will. But prob report it though… :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_monocle::neutral_face:

4 Likes

At least you don’t need them in jail.

2 Likes

Put this on the list of things to do BEFORE getting married… “can I afford this arrangement?”

4 Likes

They trace social security numbers so do what you want… they will find out hes living in another state and working.

1 Like

WOW. You can afford 2 places to live but can’t afford to buy your own food?

4 Likes

I had an issue with my husband I few months back. He left and was still paying for my rent and diapers at due “child support” I had to provide the food. I didn’t have a job at the time so I called and got on. Thankfully we got back together and got off them and all

Well it depends on your state what the income level and number of household members it goes too. It’s possible you could lose it or have it reduced but getting caught for fraud is worse.

These questions get better and better everyday :joy:

6 Likes

Y’all, I’m betting she KNOWS she is committing fraud. Why else would she post as anonymous? Technically if anyone knows who this OP is, they can report the fraud to DHS. Some of us are actually legally required to report it

3 Likes

You must be separated to receive any aid that does not take his income into account. Then they will garnish him for child support. If you get charged for food stamp overpayment they will take 20 a mth from your benefits till amt has been repaid .

1 Like

you need to report it before they find out on their own and you get a federal felony … he needs proof where hes living and proof of his job… his income will effect it because by law its not his money and your money its now “yalls” money… if it lowers your stamps which im sure it will you need to get hubby to provide better or get a income yourself to help with that loss…

1 Like

Also- if they catch you committing fraud you can be fined, get jail time, and be banned from SNAP in the future.

2 Likes

You’re going to end up in prison messing with that! Better report it!

4 Likes

#Fraud #youWILLgotojail

4 Likes

You have got to be kidding me. I am retired. My social security is taxed so you can fraud the government? Hell I could use food stamps to.

8 Likes

Why would anyone put this on here!!! Fraud!!! Stupid more like it!!!

1 Like

His income would count. But what you are doing is against the law and can land you in jail and barred from the program for along time

2 Likes

Better yet get a job you will need one if u get caught for fraud :woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

If he’s not contributing financially and he’s not living in the home, then he’s not part of your household

But if as your spouse he’s paying bills for your home, then he’s part of the household even though he’s not living there.

But by not reporting it you’re risking being found fraudulent and you will not only lose the aid, you will likely be made to pay it back

2 Likes

So you are lying about having 2 incomes?! WOW! I dont lie and they still cut mine! Im a single mom but I make sure my son is fed!

4 Likes

You post this on a site like this, chances are they already know. Nice those of us that have jobs busting our asses to live and paying our taxes so people like you can set back a rep the benefits.

My husband and I got food stamps when he got laid off from his job. We were only married a few months and we had 3 kiddos at the time. I was a stay at home mom and he had a really good job when he was laid off. We were only on it temporarily until we could figure out jobs and sitters. You should definitely report it and let them know. They will want his income and number of people that live there and everything. It’s best to be honest because if your caught in a lie you could go to jail and have to pay everything back.

1 Like

I’m sure no one here will agree with what you are doing because us who work and pay taxes are paying for you to collect food stamps that you are not entitled to. I’m not happy at all with people committing fraud!!!:rage::rage::rage::rage:

6 Likes

Inbox me and I will help you out on how to go about it. it’s not fraud.

3 Likes

Seriously!?! I’m a mother to three teens…dads dead. I work my ass off to provide what little I can, but they claim I make too much money. Get a damn job and quit fraud if the system. That’s what’s wrong with the damn country as it is. Smh…

You have to let them know you are married. They base it off the income of 2 people

You would have to be separated and not using his income to do that but as long as he doesnt make over a certain amount and u have kids u should still get some

So I’ve been in your situation only it wasn’t income or a spouse they thought I didn’t report I was on the deed to a family members home that I did not buy or live in! I was only on the deed because said family member didn’t want to pay for a will. And let me tell you I didn’t report it because I didn’t even think about it being fraud it wasn’t my home the owner was and still is alive but on that paper I WAS part owner… Well… It was definitely fraud to the SNAP office the investigators came to my home then they have to fwd your case to the DA YES you will go to jail YES you will receive a FELONY an you will have to pay it back plus restitution and lots of community service like 240 hrs worth. Even if u agree to a repayment agreement they have to make an arrest if it’s over $1,000 why would you not report this?.. The judge is not likely to give you more than 90 days if that so relax on that but you will end up with multiple felonies on your record for every time your reporting period came up an you failed to report it. It’s a grand larceny or larceny charge btw. Jail is the least of your worries it’s the ability to find a job or keep your current job afterwards.

2 Likes

First off you won’t go to jail, you would get a IPV( intentional program violation) and after so many you can’t get benefits for 6 months then a year the lifetime and that’s you your kids will still be eligible. ( it takes a lot) If you husband doesn’t live in the home you don’t have to include him, but if he pays bills then let them know your bills are paid for ( you won’t get the standard deductions). It’s not fraud because he doesn’t live there and you don’t have to report his income.

If you are living in separate household you should be fine. Being married doesn’t have as much effect if you don’t live together.

1 Like

May as well have asked what’s the Street value on a food card. DUMB. :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

Well I am pretty sure that’s fraud. :expressionless::roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t4:

7 Likes

Meanwhile my fiancé and I don’t qualify because he “makes too much”… but after bills, his insulin costs and diabetic necessities we always end up in the negative and asking family for help. Yet people like you are riding the system when you don’t need it.

8 Likes

Also it’s illegal to lie on an application, so I’m sure they will penalize you in the least with a fine. fraud is very serious!!

6 Likes

Sorry. Regardless you need to tell them. If you need the groceries so bad ask your hubby. Or move in with him.

3 Likes

Do you file your taxes separately? If you are married and filing separately, it’s possible you could keep your food stamps. Idk enough about it though. We have used medicaid, but not snap. And I was in a tax household with my husband, though we lived in my father’s home. But we filed taxes separately from my father, so his income didn’t count toward ours.

Yes because your sharing income still

2 Likes

That’s welfare fraud and it’s illegal :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I believe benefits are based on household income. If your new husband does not live in your state nor contributing to the household income then it probably wouldn’t affect your benefits. But I would think you both have to sign documents that he DN contribute & he certainly cannot deduct you or children on his taxes. Of course, you said nothing about children; Perhaps you’re on disability & receive them & have no children. I certainly think you have to report the fact that you married & answer any household income differences or you perjure yourself.

3 Likes

Need more unfo than that

To whomever posted this- it appears that you have three choices. 1. Keep your husband. 2. Keep your food benefits. 3. Lie, don’t report change and Pay back all of the money you screwed the government out of.
I hope if you already did number 3 that you get caught. It’s WRONG.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

9 Likes

Fraud lol…u gunna get in soooooooo much trouble

5 Likes

&& this is where our tax paying dollars are going.

10 Likes

And to hell with the women who are trying to better themselves, but since they try & make a few dollars over…and they are honest, they dont get help

3 Likes

She literally just asked a question she didn’t ask for y’all to make smart ass comments! She don’t need the judgement just because you think she don’t need help don’t mean that she doesn’t.

1 yes it will. 2 this is legally fraud. 3 you will get fined every penny they give you from the date of your marriage until they shut you off and 4 this will get you banned from their aid down the line if you end up divorced pregnant or homeless and really do NEED them in order to survive. But congrats on the wedding…

7 Likes

Ok while everyone seems against it, I have to think since they are based on the household combined income, you could try for them. As long as he’s not living in the same house with you then his income shouldn’t count IF you’re not on any of his bank accounts etc. if he’s using his income there for himself and you’re not receiving anything financially from him it MIGHT be possible. I would ask your friends about it. Somebody may know or have done it. I’d get with a caseworker and ask them about it.

1 Like

And this is why the people who need help can’t get it SMH

5 Likes

Guys whoa! No fraud is being committed. You have a window of time to make changes on your case! If he doesn’t live with you then no you don’t have to claim him as a dependent but they will wonder why you guys got married and might include his income as yours. But if he isn’t living woth you and isn’t sharing a bank account with you then you are fine. You need to update your case though

2 Likes

Depends on the state. You need to tell them, however, you also need to let them know that he is not living with you. Most of the time, they wont factor him as he is not considered a part of your household. It still depends on the state. But being married, they have access to the IRS and state records. They will find out.

2 Likes

Correct your status to your local office immediately. This is fraud. If they catch you you will never be able to receive any assistance in the future including medical and housing.

4 Likes

I did everything right and the welfare screwed me over and charged me for it, you don’t think that they won’t do the same to you when you are the one lying to them?

3 Likes

Just ask if it’s ok to all the people who have done it and are currently in jail for it.

2 Likes

If he’s helping pay bills then you need to report it.

3 Likes

You need contact the office and take that risk ots better than not reporting and getting caught. Tell them you situation. I know it may be hard if they do cut you off but the risks of not telling them is much worse. I will tell you that if you receive any money from him it will effect you food stamps. It will probably be considered something like child support. Either way you need to report. Most states you have 10 to 14 business days to report income change. Best of luck, keep your head up.

1 Like

If he works in another state ,it still counts

2 Likes

Do u live off of his money and if u do that will matter if not maybe.

If only thing thats changed is piece of paper and you both have always had seperate incomes I dont see problem unless your claiming tax rtc as marrird couple

omg wow really? How does being in a relationship or marriage change the amount of money she has for food?
A piece of paper doesnt turn $1 into $2.

And to all you guys going on about where your tax is going… id much prefer my tax go to helping a family feed themselves then on all the other political crap its currently wasted on e.i political benifits and party,

What is your tax ment to be spent on excatly?

6 Likes

Is he not going to contribute to the household? Is he going to claim you and your kids as dependents?

Forget the young ones that want to have 5 or more children and don’t work. What about the elderly that get an insufficient amount to live on. If you got married it’s y’all’s responsibility. Not to mention it was yours to begin with. Yes you can get in trouble. Remember all the papers stating true and correct.

if he is supporting you, & the income is low, then I would say yes. But every county has what is the income amount when one can collect. but I will say, if you are defrauding them, depending on where you live, it could be payback & jail time. I would talk to them. It’s called being honest

You need to report it and verify he is not living in the household. If he is assisting with the expenses of your home you’ll have to verify if it is being given to you or the company. You can still possibly get SNAP if you are married

1 Like

Considering you have 10 days to report any changes yes its FRUAD

5 Likes

It could. Each state is different, but he doesn’t live in the home so that changes the way things would normally be handled.
I would go in and speak to someone personally.
If you don’t report it and they find out later you could loose them anyways.

1 Like

If he is supporting you then yes you have to report his income. If you are separated and he is not supporting you then you can still get them but if you receive money from him or he is paying your bills then you have to report that or it is fraud.

Whether you’re married or not you have to truthfully report your income. Because if you get caught and you will eventually if you lie, they will make you pay back every cent and you won’t be able to apply again for years. So, something to think about :point_up:t4:

2 Likes

If you guys don’t share any money at all, then you should be able to get it approved. They will just have to speak to him or have a hand written letter saying you don’t get his money and you pay all your own bills.

This should not even be a question… Be honest, report the marriage. Simple

Yeah if he’s paying the bills…but if youre seperated like not together then tell them that

just a curios question …where are u getting the food stamps from

Why would you go online asking if it’s ok for you to be committing fraud?? You’re legally obligated to notify the food stamp office of this change. If he helps support you and your kids, then the income must be counted…period!!! Do the right thing and report your situation!!! What are you going to do if/when you get caught and not only have to pay back the money they gave you but serve jail time too??? SMH

1 Like

You need to report it or you could have to repay and could possibly go to jail for fraud

1 Like

Is this really a question? :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Food stamp benefits have very little to do with who’s living with you, or whether you’re married. What matters is how much money is coming into the house. If his money is coming into the home, it has to be reported and he needs to be listed as a household member even if hes not living there.

1 Like

well for one thing you had better get a hold off food stamps as it is fraud and jail time for you is it really worth going to jail

Do you benefit from his income even thou he’s in a different state? If yes then yes you do and your married so it’s the right thing to do! It’s also fraud

23 Likes

:roll_eyes: that’s fraud, you have 10 days to report it. They eventually find out.

15 Likes

And this fraud is why people that need the help can’t get it…

32 Likes

You can report being married without it affecting anything IF he lives outside of your home AND he does not eat with you AND he does not contribute to household you live in.

5 Likes

You need to report any changes! They will cut you off & you will have to repay!

6 Likes

Well, I’d make a call now since it’s on social media…

12 Likes

That’s fraud. You can go to jail if it’s not reported.

11 Likes