Can I give birth vaginally with an HSV2 outbreak?

I am due with my 3rd child anytime now. I have hsv2 and usually have an outbreak once a year. I just had and got over an outbreak last month so I thought I was good. But now I have a lump on my perineum area :sob: it’s just one lump, which is weird because I’ve had hsv2 for 6yrs and have never had just one lump. I’m scared I will have to get a section. I know it would be in the best interest of the baby, but I am terrified of sections. Has anyone else had to go through with a section due to an outbreak? I’ve also been very, very constipated, and my perineum area has been swollen from straining so much, and that is where the one lump is located. Could I still have a vaginal birth if the lump isn’t inside the vagina area? I’m scared. I’m going to see if my dr has time to see me today or talk to me on the phone later about all this. I just need some mind easing words, especially about csections.

60 Likes

yes maam ! i had hsv for 13 years , i have 3 kids , the first was a csection , second i requested c section but my third was vbac and all my babies were fine if you start talking valtrex now you will be fine

If you give birth with an active infection you risk the baby being blind as you can transfer the infection to their eyes. Or…giving them the infection itself. You have a lesion on the outside but you are not likely to be able to feel a lesion on the inside. Are you willing to risk the health of your baby because you are afraid?

17 Likes

If there is any chance it will harm your baby why chance it??? Have a csection

12 Likes

Call your doctor. They should be able to prescribe you medication for it & you can still have your baby naturally.

2 Likes

You should talk to your dr. What you’re describing might be hemorrhoids.

13 Likes

Get checked out. Could be a hemmroid. Also, I had to have an emergency C-section and it was not that bad. I was up and walking around the next day.

3 Likes

If you’ve been constipated and straining, are you absolutely sure it’s a lesion and not a hemorrhoid?

6 Likes

I work in health care and you can deliver vaginally. Your doctor will prescribe you usually valtrex to take starting at 36 weeks everyday up to delivery to prevent an outbreak. I’ve seen many healthy babies born vaginally this way. Don’t be scared just follow your providers instruction :wink:

Edit: also for all the women who are here with the negative comments don’t even comment. This mama is in a world of worry as is just being pregnant and she’s coming here to get honest hope and encouragement and hear others who can relate experience and those who are dragging her and making comments without any knowledge know nothing of women lifting women. We should fix each others crown not tear it off

73 Likes

Sounds like you have hemorrhoids

Have they gave you the meds for prevention of a outbreak? Are you sure it’s not just a ingrown hair? If it is and you have to do the c-section just remember your a bad ass and you freaking got this.

Kristina Marie, How is This Even Funny?? A Woman Laughing at Another Woman’s Question?? :fu:

23 Likes

Cesareans arent as bad as they seem. The worst part of them is the recovery :100: which is painful yes but its definitely bearable. You still get to be happy and hold your baby!

1 Like

HSV can kill babies among other issues also you should have been on meds around 36 weeks to stop one before delivery…just be honest with your Dr your babies health should be priority over anything

6 Likes

It definitely sounds like hemorrhoids but talk to your doctor. You cannot give birth with an HSV2 breakout. They usually put you on Valacyclovir or Acyclovir 6-8 weeks leading up to birth for suppression.

1 Like

C-sections really aren’t that bad so don’t worry about it too much. I have had 4. Not saying it’s easy but very manageable.

3 Likes

You cannot give birth with an outbreak. I had a pt who did and she gave her baby herpes of the eye.

1 Like

A singular lump in the perineal area is most likely an ingrown hair. They will check to make sure once you get to the hospital though.

2 Likes

Contact your doctor asap so he cant prescribe that antiviral med.

I would call yiur dr it sounds likd this might be a hemorrhoid

If you’re laughing at this that’s pretty stank energy

23 Likes

Sounds like hemorrhoids, best to talk to your doctor. We aren’t trained to give medical advice.

2 Likes

Ask your doctor babe

2 Likes

Be safe do a section. I had one and I was up and about in no time! It’s really not as bad as some people say!!

1 Like

Regardless of whether you will get to deliver vaginally or by csection - just breathe.
Everythings going to be just fine mama :heart:

9 Likes

Your doctor can prescribe a high dose of medication that you will take every day until delivery

It sounds like a hemorrhoid from straining to use the bathroom. I would get it checked to make sure but thats what it sounds like

Sounds like a hemorrhoid. Im Not a doctor though. so you should ask them before you get worked up and stress.

1 Like

Stressing out about it will only make it worse if it is an outbreak. Get your antiviral, breathe, and whichever way you end up giving birth will be what was meant to be

1 Like

A month before you deliver just get on the medication so you will not have a outbreak while giving birth.

Sounds like you may have a hemorrhoid

3 Likes

I don’t have any medical conditions that caused me to have C-sections so I cannot speak to that… but I can say I had 2 C-sections and had no issues. Recovery time was standard 8 weeks. Pain was easily managed and I was back to ‘normal’ after a full 10 weeks, even though I was cleared at 6 weeks.

1 Like

No. You can pass it to your child

2 Likes

No you can’t. I believe it’s a very big risk to baby. :two_hearts:

Doctor should give you meds to take daily up until delivery to clear up a breakout

She isnt asking for medical advice. Shes looking to see if anyone else has experienced that.

2 Likes

I believe you’d have to have a c-section

1 Like

I’m about to have my 6th csection. IF you have to go that route try not to be scared honey. The recovery isn’t fun but a healthy baby and mommy is important. Good luck girl

2 Likes

But that sounds more like a hemorrhoid than an outbreak.

5 Likes

You most definitely not want to give birth with an active lesions. It’s best and safest for baby to have a section. My first 2 came that way. I had baby #3 3 days ago vaginally. I had an outbreak 1.5 weeks prior to birth. Most drs recommend no active lesions within 2 weeks of labor. Everything I read said when already having the virus your body is passing antibodies to baby and it’s rare they will contract anything if there are NO ACTIVE lesions.

1 Like

Your doctor should have put you on an antiviral to take daily once you got within a month or two of your due date to be safe and prevent outbreaks. You def don’t want to be in an outbreak because I was told that it could get into their mouth and eyes and pass it onto them or possibly blind them from it getting into the eyes.

1 Like

Having a baby during an outbreak can not only pass it to your baby but it can kill your baby. If you think you’re having an outbreak I would definitely let them know and then plan accordingly. On a side note, good luck and stay positive :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No! Not being mean but you can pass the HSV into the baby and it can be lethal. Please. Think of your child. I wouldn’t risk it.

2 Likes

Your doctor is supposed to have you on medicine and then an IV at the hospital when u deliver if you’re induced tho bc they might not have time for the IV if you aren’t induced

I would get that one lump checked cause it sounds like you might just have a hemorrhoid instead of a outbreak

8 Likes

Your doctor should have you on an antiviral starting at 36 weeks as a preventative. You will need a c section if you have an outbreak during labor.

3 Likes

Your Dr should know you have it and put you on medication around 36 weeks to prevent outbreak

1 Like

C-Sections aren’t bad. Yes, it’s a major surgery, but recovery
Is not typically terrible.

3 Likes

My doctor put me on my medication for outbreaks from 34 weeks on. I ended up having a csection but because my kid was stuck

If you have an active infection with lesions you cannot give birth vaginally. You will need a csection.

2 Likes

Yes 4 times it is not that bad if you have the csection with out being in hard labor much easier first one hard labor 18 hours so i was uncomfortable but my second went in had c section yes iwas up walking in a hour yes it is scarey because you dont know what going to happen.and the thought of being put to sleep is the scarey part now they can let you stay awake with a block .much better.but not bad at all.takes about same amount of time to heal just cant pick stuff up for awhile well hope this helps good luck god bless

No…its not ideal
If you have hsv2 you need to inform doctors.
If you have an outbreak during birth it can cause problems for baby…

Have your doctor look at it. It might not be an outbreak. I don’t have the herpes simplex virus but know someone who does and she was able to have vaginal births. I would definitely recommend having your doctor look at it. Maybe it is a ingrown hair or a hemorrhoid or hernia of some sorts. Don’t stress and have your doctor look at it and talk to your doctor about it. I’m also pretty sure you are suppose to be on meds for a month or so prior to birth to prevent outbreaks. So definitely discuss it with your doctors

Take your valtrex like you should and your good.

Don’t want to chance giving it to the baby, just have a c section

4 Likes

You should visit with your doctor

I have had 9 babies 8 were natural my last was a c-section and while the recovery sucked for me it wasn’t as scary as I thought it was gonna be … however you should talk to your dr & of course it’s what’s best for the baby …

If it’s a lump, and unlike anything you’ve seen before, it could be a bartholin cyst. They can test it to see if it’s HSV. Hang in there! Good luck!

1 Like

Take your medicine to lessen chance of outbreak. That may not be a outbreak but a hemorrhoid. Take your medicine with you too the hospital as well in case you have an outbreak after having the baby from the stress and strain. It will be easier to have your on hand then asking the nurse to order some for you.

3 Likes

I don’t have that but I did have an emergency c section with my first born. My second was a vbac with a vacuum and episiotomy. My third was another vbac with a vacuum and episiotomy without pain meds (epidural didn’t work). Honestly, the c section was probably less traumatic than my last birthing experience. There are ups and downs to both vaginal and cesarean sections.

C-section are not that bad you don’t feel nothing I was walking the next day

The idea of a C-section is scary but in reality their not that bad. I’ve had 3. You got this momma! You just want that baby healthy.

Have you ever had a bartholin cyst? I used to get them regularly and they were painful. It could be that, and if that’s the case you can just get it drained!

Build up your immune system. Lysine and vitamin c can help. I didn’t take meds from my doctor, but I did build up my immune system. This is a great tip for when not pregnant, as well. A strong system makes the outbreaks shorter and makes them less frequent and keep well hydrated.

Girl you should have gotten on valtrex around 34 weeks… call ASAP and get some valtrex, hopefully you’re clear and can deliver vaginally if you have another 7-10 days before birth to be on it! If the sores are clear and you have no signs of any outbreak & have been on it, they should let you deliver.

1 Like

If you have been straining you may well have a pollop or pile which is nothing to do with the virus you are talking about. Go and see your doctor and they will be able to tell what is it.

2 Likes

I was terrified of c-sections too, but my 3rd wouldn’t come out on his own and needed help. The anesthesiologists were fantastic and helped big time with my fears, and it was nowhere near as bad as I imagined. If this is what you have to do you will be fine, and so will baby!!

Talk to your doctor. They will prescribe you with antiviral medication

Their is a chance of having a still born if you deliver natural :scream: also you should properly talk to your doctor ASAP

2 Likes

Kristina you muppet! A friend of Mine had this and she had a section think you should seek this option xx

If it’s only one lump, pleeeaaassseee get it biopsied! I’ve recently had a bout with skin cancer, and yes skin cancer CAN and will grow THERE! Mine started as one lump, who knew 🤷

1 Like

Herpes infections are only rarely passed on to babies during childbirth. If a woman already had herpes viruses inside her body at the start of pregnancy, there’s no reason why she shouldn’t give birth naturally – unless there are signs of an outbreak shortly before she goes into labor. Review the option s with your doctor

C sections are over and done with very quickly

2 Likes

Sounds like a hemorrhoid…

1 Like

You might just have a hemorrhoid

1 Like

You are supposed to take anti-virals that prevent shedding of the virus in the end of your last trimester to stop outbreaks from happening

4 Likes

Well I have no advice on the outbreak thing but in the event you have to have a csection I have had three of those and they were smooth sailing. I wouldn’t have done it differently at all. There was still pain and recovery of course but not bad at all.

I was told when I was tested for it with my daughter that the would just give you antibiotics and have you on an Iv drip of antibiotics the day of.

Edited: I was wrong, this was from a different test. So sorry! :see_no_evil:

I bet sadly they won’t let you… well I should say I’m sure they’ll tell you it’s a really bad idea :frowning:

How about you do a c section regardless and think less of yourself and more of your innocent child who has a ridiculously high chance of acquiring hsv2 if you decide to do this vaginally. Stop being selfish!

21 Likes

You may just have a hemorrhoid. They are very common during pregnancy. Have your dr check it out. I had a csection due to premature birth. It sucked but in your situation its better then the health risks to the baby. Fingers crossed that it’s just a simple hemorrhoid.

1 Like

Your doctor should have given you medication because if you have any active outbreak and give birth the baby can get it

2 Likes

First…get some fiber so your not straining to go to the bathroom. It could be because of that…
I had to have a C section because I wasn’t dilating…
Because I had been in labour so long they had to put me to sleep… another person I know was awake…yes little hard in beginning but not to bad…used pillow to put baby on to breastfeed…
Took things slow .get hubby to vacuum…
Make easy meals before hand and freeze .
You will get through it and after all said and done you will think not so bad

1 Like

Someone i know had HSV and the kid is now completely blind in one eye from a natural birth. Just check all your options

4 Likes

I wouldn’t even want to chance having a baby naturally if I were you. It’s very very very dangerous for babies if you pass it to them and could potentially be deadly. Why risk it? I had 2 C-sections and the recovery was not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. It’s still a great experience and you’re awake the whole time. I have severe anxiety and was able to get through it… you can’t feel anything at all, they completely numb your whole lower half. I was talking and joking with my husband while I was literally cut open. No judgement though! I hope everything works out for you mama :heart: all love.

6 Likes

Take valacyclocir. It’ll clear up, you’ll stay on it until you birth. If you have an outbreak before birth then possible c section

3 Likes

Surprised your OB didn’t put you on Valtrex (Valacyclocir) a month prior

6 Likes

Consult your doctor. That’s a medical situation that puts your child at risk.

5 Likes

First of all, try to calm down.
Next, talk to your doctor. Social media is the WORST possible place for medical advice. You’ll probably feel even MORE nervous after reading some of these responses.
Last but not least, your doctor will probably have you to start taking Valtrex a few weeks before your due date to avoid an outbreak.

14 Likes

Even if you start valtrex right now I wouldn’t risk it. C-Section is the safest way for the baby.

5 Likes

I had a section a scheduled one for my second child and induced vaginal for my first and the section was extremely easy and recovery was so much faster. I tore during my first and my vagina never recovered.

Well I never had herpes but you need to do a C-section I think it’s selfish to birth a child knowing you have herpes and could have the chance of spreading it by doing it vaginally

17 Likes

Someone I know has herpes and she said they put a kind of jelly lube in your vaginal canal and it protects the baby. She has had two normal vaginal births, neither of her daughters have hsv2.

1 Like

The lump is probably hemorrhoids they can protrude around the outside of the anus.

Sounds to risky I’d opt for a c section if you’re really worried :worried: get put under
Mama of 5 sections here I’m still alive and yeh recovery is so different for yiu me and everyone else.,
Talk to your dr Aasp

Good :relieved: luck

1 Like

With an active outbreak that’s a very bad idea. Unfortunately C-section.

2 Likes

That’s a question for your doctor. If your having an outbreak you will most likely have to have a c section but your doctor should be able to look at the lump and tell you if it is an outbreak or not. They would also discuss your concerns and do their best to get you a vaginal birth if that’s what you want.

Talk to your dr. Not Facebook.

7 Likes

Depending on how long you have till you go into labor, I wonder if taking l-lysine would help clear it up faster — if it’s safe during pregnancy. Otherwise, I’m not sure what the best option would be. Hopefully your doctor can offer more advice to help you avoid having a c-section, if at all possible. Best of luck!

1 Like

You’ll most likely have a csection. I promise they are a breeze, I was terrified but it was quick and I was up and walking like 3 hours after and my recovery was great. You’ll be okay!

6 Likes