Can I set those boundaries and not come off like the biggest jerk in the world?

:flushed::flushed: what did I just readā€¦ Wow. You got into a relationship with someone who has young kids but donā€™t want the kids involved in your life. YUCK. Walk away. You donā€™t deserve him or his kids.

10 Likes

I recommend Nacho Kids: The Blended Family Lifesaver you do not have to parent kids that arenā€™t yoursā€¦

3 Likes

Are they moving in or they will continue staying with their mom & visit every now & than.

Why did you even get with this man knowing he had kids? Sounds like he needs to drop you real fast. I say my kids comes before any woman or man.

3 Likes

So I can relate to this :100:
Iā€™m 41 and my fiancĆ© is 32.
My kids are 22 and 20 and Iā€™m a grandma. His daughter is 11.
When we started talking he knew and I knew our age difference and our kids as well. Itā€™s literally a packaged deal when you love someone :heartpulse:
I really thought the same at first but now Iā€™m raising kids a second time and Iā€™m ok.

2 Likes

They are youngā€¦ god forbid something happens to mom and dad has to take them full time ?? If you donā€™t wanna raise kids donā€™t date men with them periodt

1 Like

Heā€™s a package dealā€¦

2 Likes

Ummm find a man with no kids ! Giving very much ā€œevil stepmotherā€ vibes . Those kids are and should always be first in your manā€™s life .

6 Likes

Please donā€™t date anyone with young kids. Granted I aint got kids, butā€¦ Still. Youā€™ll end up resenting them kids just because theyā€™re kids and thatā€™s terrible.

Agreed that him and his children are a package deal!!! you do sound like a dick, sorry. I was just in the same situation but the other way around. He knew I had a daughter and choose to continue dating me and then all the sudden didnā€™t want that responsibility bc his own kids were grown. My daughter loves him like a father and he choose not to be a part of our lives anymore. When I saw him creating distance w her I tried to still hang out with him, but it wasnā€™t the same. I felt like my child was a burden and that broke my heart. Not fair for you to make him choose either bc Iā€™m sure he will be feeling that way if you donā€™t want his kids as your own. Not trying to be mean but thatā€™s not fair of you, it sad actually

Wow. I hope he leaves you.

5 Likes

Look for someone who is done raising kids as well or someone with older kids :tipping_hand_woman:t4:

6 Likes

How would you feel if it was the other way around? Iā€™m sure you would be hurt if heā€™d tell you he didnā€™t want to step up to the roll. You shouldnā€™t have gotten with him at all. He deserves way better and I hope he drops you so he can find the woman that will accept him and his kids because theyā€™re a package deal.

3 Likes

When you date someone with kids be willing to take on the step parent role or not at all l. A person with kids are a package deal.

7 Likes

Why choose to date a man with three young kids if your not wanting anything to do with his kids, you knew he had kids before starting to date him they are part of the package so either step up and accept his kids and help raise them when they are with dad or do him and his kids a favour and walk away

17 Likes

You sound toxic and this man needs to find someone that will love his kids like their own. If I was him, Iā€™d run.

12 Likes

No do not date someone with kids if you donā€™t want any. They come as a whole package. What if he becomes a full time dad ? What you gonna do then ?

5 Likes

God people are so hateful on here towards you. Your fears and feelings are valid. I somewhat get where you are coming fromā€¦ my kids were 12,10 and 8 when I got engaged and my fiancĆ© wanted another baby. I was 100% done and was looking forward to ā€œfreedomā€. I had to really think about it as this was a deal breaker for him (we had already talked about it prior to getting engaged). I ended up doing it as I wanted to give him the experience and Iā€™m so happy we did as I am in love with my little baby boy. All that to sayā€¦ I know how hard it is to be so close to being done and then looking at the beginning all over again. Itā€™s daunting, scary, and probably in the beginning you didnā€™t think you guys would come to this point so it wasnā€™t something you had to seriously consider. My opinionā€¦ if you plan on marrying him, youā€™ll have to somewhat take on that role. You can NACHO, but you will always be a part of the kidsā€™ lives and will have to support them/your spouse since you WILL be a family. Itā€™s a hard decision and I am sorry you are going through this.

6 Likes

Put it this way. What if u were the one with young kids and he had older kids and what if he felt this way??

1 Like

If you donā€™t want the ā€œstep momā€ role, then you shouldnā€™t want the ā€œgirlfriendā€ role. Should have never started a relationship with him. Do him and those kids a favor and exit stage left.

8 Likes

Nope, youā€™re a jerk.

1 Like

So I get it I really do however when you made the choice of getting in a relationship with this man I assume he didnā€™t just randomly one day spring the kids on you, Iā€™m sorry but if you want to maintain the relationship it comes with those responsibilities if you donā€™t want them the relationship is one doomed to fail because something that is a set part of his life that you want to be a part of, you donā€™t want to deal with, basically saying I love you but only if you ditch your kids, that isnā€™t fair to him and itā€™s honestly pretty shallow of you. I would either break it off. Mainly because you already donā€™t want to do it you arenā€™t likely to just magically change your mind, you are going to feel either forced or obligated so the emotions wonā€™t be genuine to the kids or this manā€¦ and that isnā€™t fair to them. You could stay but youā€™d literally have to just be the awesome stepmother and really want to be, because if you donā€™t humans have Paleolithic emotions eventually it will come out as resentment towards them one way or another. Iā€™d like to tell you, you could make it work but if you canā€™t accept this fact and really take in those kids as your own and gain those unconditional feelings then itā€™s basically cruel.

Sorry, too late you just made yourself the biggest jerk in the world.
You canā€™t truly live him and not be in love with his kids. Move on before he or his kids get hurt worse. Find someone that doesnā€™t have kids or are grown. You are one of those parents I never understood, you raise your kid til 18 and you think youā€™re done! Good grief and heaven forbid you ever have grandkids.

5 Likes

I think you should step aside and make room for a woman who does want that role. Nothing wrong with not wanting to start over. But it is an issue when youā€™re in a relationship with somebody who has 3 young kids.

1 Like

If you want to be with a guy you should accept his family. So if you donā€™t want to be a part his children you need yo move on.

2 Likes

I understand where you are coming from, but you should not of gotten involved with a man with young children, you need to leave him as he is only going to become resentful towards you for not accepting his children, this sort of relationship will not go anywhere

2 Likes

I will first start off by NOT bashing you. I totally understand this feeling and I personally would never date someone with 3 young children (I have 1 of my own and Iā€™m very content keeping it so). I think that if you are unwilling to put effort into loving his children as your own, then you shouldnā€™t be with him. :confused: Itā€™s important to remain honest with yourself and respectful to your partner by coming forward about it. Even if you DID find a way to not be step-mom, it would be disrespectful to your partner and definitely hurt his childrenā€™s feelings.

9 Likes

Of course you can be nice about it and just state that these rules are for everyone who comes into your home so that we can all have a happy home to be in

Nope, they come as a package, if you didnt want to raise kids then you should of said no to dating the guy with 3 kids

3 Likes

Stop wasting both yaā€™lls time and go find a single man with no kids and no plans to have kids.

5 Likes

Ive been in this situation. I chose to breakup. The kids need grown ups that want to be around them. Im 43 and i felt the same way you arent obligated to raise the kids. Let this man go so maybe he can find someone that does want too

2 Likes

Why does someone have to be a step parent instead of just the parents partner? If youā€™re a good partner youā€™ll help where needed but if you donā€™t want to be a step parent/parent role model then donā€™t. Fuck that noise, just be a girlfriend to dad and a friend to the kids. If he is looking for a step mum/ a person to help raise his kids then you guys are on two different levels and it wonā€™t work but youā€™re not a jerk.

Nope, too late youā€™re a jerk for that one. If you want to be with a guy who has kids you should love the family not just him. I mean how would you feel if it was you in that situation wouldnā€™t you think that would be kind of a douchey move if someone done this to you. Move to the side and let a woman love and care for him AND HIS KIDS the way they deserve to be loved and cared for because it obviously isnā€™t you.

1 Like

Should of thought about that before getting involvedā€¦canā€™t have ya cake and eat it tooā€¦

3 Likes

Sounds like you shouldnā€™t be in a relationship. If you really loved him, youā€™d love his kids as well.

2 Likes

Wow just wowā€¦ I hope he leaves you. Donā€™t want the step mam role you donā€™t get the girlfriend roll they come as package. Be honest with him not fair on him or kids

They are a package deal if you cannot and wonā€™t step up as a step mother you should just end the relationship completely

1 Like

No. If you wanna be with someone who has kids, you have to be involved with the kids too. Itā€™s a package deal. Sorry

4 Likes

You take the man you take the kids or Nothing at All

3 Likes

Nope. His kids are part of a package. If you canā€™t handle it you need to leave.

5 Likes

Have a think about if it was your kids and he said that to you ā€¦ā€¦ you know the answer go be free

3 Likes

OHā€¦ NOā€¦, NOā€¦, NOā€¦!!!
SORRYā€¦ NOTā€¦ SORRYā€¦
The KIDā€™S COME WITH the MAN. IF YOU LOVE him SET HIM FREE AND DONT LET HIS BABIES GET ATTACHED TO YOU!

3 Likes

I donā€™t think you wrong. You donā€™t have to be a step parent or step up. However you definitely should break up and move on. Imagine how heā€™d feel! You date him you get them! Them are his babies, he deserves someone who, Will be there for all of them!

4 Likes

You have every right to not want to raise more kidsā€¦ā€¦.but to do that, you have to date someone who doesnā€™t have kids.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sorry but when you got with him you knew he came as a package.

2 Likes

Just leave now. The kids wonā€™t like you with your attitude towards them :flushed::roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Exact reason why Iā€™ve stayed single since my divorce, so I can go travel the world, finally :raised_hands:t3:

5 Likes

Iā€™m nearly done raising mine. Best believe I would never date a :man: with any kids under age 18. Thatā€™s your mistake.

1 Like

You canā€™t have your cake and eat it too in this type of situationā€¦I get not wanting to start over for some folksā€¦but if thatā€™s how you genuinely feel then you need to move on and let him find someone who will be a loving and active step mom for his childrenā€¦I think you wanting to remain distant with his children and not engaging in that role while being in a long term relationship or marriage with him would be really hurtful and emotionally damaging to his childrenā€¦thatā€™s fair to no one in that situation and certainly not in the best interest of the kidsā€¦sorry but thereā€™s more than your own feelings to be considered hereā€¦if you are set on your rejection of that sort of role move on and donā€™t get involved with a man with young childrenā€¦period

5 Likes

Yeah, no. Itā€™s a package deal
Leave that man alone :ok_hand:t2:

5 Likes

Look up the nacho method.

1 Like

You should probably find someone that doesnā€™t have young kids. If you really wanted to be with him, you would love his kids like your own.

8 Likes

Leave him alone, they are a package deal. If you canā€™t accept them all, move on. Imagine if this was a man saying this about your kids when they were young. Thereā€™d be an uproar :scream:

12 Likes

What is it with these types of women and men. If you donā€™t want to be a step parent, THEN DONā€™T GET INVOLVED WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE KIDS!! Set him free so he can find someone who will love his kids too.

16 Likes

No if you get with someone you take on kids too. Iā€™d be ending it now, that isnā€™t a attitude to be round kids. Find someone in same boat as you with older kids.

2 Likes

Dont want his kidsā€¦Ć½ou donā€™t get the man. They are a package deal

1 Like

When you get with a person who has kids you except those children like they are your own, if you didnā€™t want the responsibility you should have never got with him in the first place. You can not make a relationship work if your not willing to except his kids, his kids should always come first.

3 Likes

You definitely didnā€™t think about this long enough if youā€™re having doubts now. If heā€™s a real man heā€™ll choose his kids over you !!

8 Likes

If you love that man you love them kids! Itā€™s a package. Stop being selfish and leave if this isnā€™t what youā€™re looking for.

6 Likes

Sorry lady but, and I am trying to say this kindly, but if you are not up to being the step up and step in parent, then you need to find someone without kids. Think of it this way: when YOUR kids were HIS kids ages, would YOU have put up with that line of thinking where what would have ended up happening regardless if it was intended or not, YOU would have ended up having to choose between YOUR kids or an S/O or would that S/O have had to of walked if they could not love, support, be there and step up and step in with YOUR kids? Please do not ask a parent to do what you yourself would not have been willing to do in a similar or the same cirucmstances. It is not fair and it is kinda hypocritical to do so. His kids and him are as much of a packaged deal as you and yours were/ are, like it or not. So your two options are to get over it and step up and step in, love those kids like your own and help out with them or to do you all a favor and break up with him and he finds someone who can love his kids the way that you as a parent KNOW damned well they DESERVE to be cared about by a stepparent as a parent yourself and YOU can find someone who is willing and able to love on and spoil you and only you since they do not have children of their own to compete with. Just be warned: what you are expecting of this guy, someone without kids might just try to expect of you. Your kids may be grown and they may be adults with the raising part out of the way, but do not think for one moment that you are absolved of being their mother: Motherhood is a lifelong job, honey. You will never stop loving them, caring for them, guiding them and in a pinch helping and being there for them unless you are that selfish of a person that even your own kids do not fully matter to you anymore. You did not sign a until 18 contract when you had them and kept them. You signed a until death do us part contract with them and this one, you cannot divorce from at this point. That is not how parenthood works. Do not ask of a single parent what you yourself would not be willing to do if asked to do so in regards to your own kids. Period. Either set him free and find someone who does not have that and hope they do not do that to YOU and YOUR kids or learn to love his as though they are yours and be there for them, even if up front they seem like disrespectful little shits.

Imagine if he was saying this about your kids, how would you feel?
You date someone, you take on their kids. Doesnā€™t have to be a step parent role - but you canā€™t just completely ignore the fact they have kids. This isnā€™t okay.

4 Likes

I donā€™t see why you canā€™t be with him without being ā€œstep momā€.
Remain his girlfriend, do not live together, and let him have his weekends with his kids, and you do something else on those weekends.
Maybe dinner with them once a week during the summer, but let him keep his parental role separate from his life with you.
(Iā€™m probably going to ripped a new one for saying this).
But, if the kids have a good mother, and heā€™s a good father, they wonā€™t need an extra parent. You can be like a ā€œfun auntā€, but you donā€™t have to parent them.

20 Likes

Can I be very serious about my own situation here. I have 2 children on my own and iv been dating, my conditions are your dating me not my childrenā€¦ I will spend time with whoever Iā€™m dating when I donā€™t have my childrenā€¦ I donā€™t expect anyone to take me as a package my kids donā€™t come into my dating life atall! Maybe if the said person has voiced wanting to be more serious and being around your kids, do you need to think about step parent problems but I just donā€™t know why kids have to be involved in dating lifeā€™s of parents.

Iā€™m not out looking for a step dad for my children Iā€™m looking for my dating life when I donā€™t have them.

2 Likes

If you love him, then you should love those kids that come with him, he is not a single non parent, he has kids, you get with him you take on the kids! If you donā€™t want to patent the kids then donā€™t be with the guy, itā€™s not fair on those kids! The children arr part of him you love him fully and accept him and the kids pr you walk away. If you donā€™t things could go sour and turn toxic if those kids realise how you feel. Do the right thing and let him go if you cant/donā€™t want to be parent

Yeah maybe like just a girlfriend nothing more maybe if you guys donā€™t live together but yes I do think you guys could work an agreement out. But first see how he feels about your feelings and let him from the start.

U feel the way u feel. Period. Talk with him n see what u can or can not work out. Weā€™re u planning 2 travel much? Weā€™re u planning on him traveling with u? I mean if u plan on traveling a lot Iā€™m sure he has a job that would restrict his participation in such travels.

Nope! Your definitely the biggest jerk in the world!
He is a package deal with kids you canā€™t have him and not the kids and you canā€™t make him choose between you and the kids! Itā€™s fine that you donā€™t want any more kids but then find someone who doesnā€™t have them! You can feel how you feel bit doesnā€™t make less of a jerk no matter how you swing it!

2 Likes

Heā€™s a package not just him on his own, do him a favour an let him go and find someone that you can travel and do all them things you want to do with! But I definitely wouldnā€™t be letting kids get attached to me for me not to even want to be involved! Youā€™d be doing yourself and him the biggest favour and clearly youā€™d feel alot happier with someone with no kids! X

5 Likes

Pathetic reallyā€¦what are you thinking?? If you are even thinking at all. Leave the man alone to get on with him having constructive input into his childrenā€™s lives.
Go and find yourself a man without kidā€™s!!

4 Likes

End it now. You have no business being with man with children. Youā€™re not wrong for not wanting to be a step parent. But youā€™re wrong if you continue this relationship knowing your own wants. Heā€™s not a temp daddy on his set days. Heā€™s a daddy all the time every day. Birthdays, holidays, Graduations,. Concerts, sports games etc etc he needs to be present. Leave him alone to be a good father to his children

16 Likes

Dating usually is a precursor to engagement and marriage. So if you donā€™t want to share the responsibility of his kids, thatā€™s fine, but you wasting everybodyā€™s time. Cause what are you gonna do if/when he proposes or asks you if you want to get a place together? Then the kids are there, no matter what. So you might as well just go now, let him find someone who doesnā€™t care and you find someone with no young kids. Be an adult since youā€™re trying so hard to be one now that your kids are grown :roll_eyes:

1 Like

No you can not be with someone with kids and not be that roleā€¦ if you donā€™t want more leave him

2 Likes

Kids are included in the package.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s is his kids, if you cant love them they way they deserve what are you doing with Their Dad? Kids are a package deal, not an option.

10 Likes

If thatā€™s the way you feel find a man that fits what you want. Those children deserve a step mom thatā€™s going to love them as their other mom, not one that sees them as a burden

10 Likes

Your funny what it roles were reversed how would u feel if a man said that to you ? You would say good bye like he should to you their a package

3 Likes

Well if yā€™all were to marry, Iā€™m sure he would expect you to help some with them, so you might have to just move on. Good luck.

Tell him. You need to talk to him and let him know. Kids are a packaged deal, if you donā€™t want to help raise the kids, then honestly you shouldnā€™t be with their parent. If you want to be kid-free, then you need to be with someone with no kids or grown kids.

2 Likes

Nope, its a package deal and if you cant accept the whole package then move on.

10 Likes

Either step up or step out! Cant have him without his kids.

8 Likes

No. If you arenā€™t wanting to be a part of the kids lives then get out of their dads

3 Likes

No, imagine someone saying that to you when your kids were younger. There is nothing wrong with how you feel about kids now but you shouldnā€™t be with someone with kids knowing how you feel.

5 Likes

Have you and your bf sat down and had a conversation about what heā€™s wanting your role in his kidā€™s life to be? Not every situation requires you to be the parent. I think itā€™s perfectly acceptable for you to set boundaries on what your willing to contribute in the relationship especially with the kids. Personally I think you can be their friend and role model without ā€œparentingā€ but you also need to be willing to help guide them into being good humans. If the two of you live together, or are planning to in the future, you both have to agree what the rules of your home will be and be prepared to help enforce them. I know couples that are in this situation and they arenā€™t in the stepparent role and they navigate it really well. You just need to be clear and what your willing to contribute and what your not. But you also need to be prepared for him to not agree, can you find common ground? At the end of the day these are his kids and he decided whatā€™s best for them.

I donā€™t think I made this very clear. You all seem to think I donā€™t want these kids in my life at all and thatā€™s not what Iā€™m saying. I do love his kids. I just donā€™t think I should be raising them. They are out of control kids who run the house. The only time they receive punishment or guidance is from me. Iā€™m the one who feeds them and makes sure they get dressed and behave. Iā€™m not their mother and I donā€™t feel like this is my responsibility. But they are in my home and space and they are wreaking havoc on my sanity. Their bio mother isnā€™t any better. Thereā€™s no control there either. Sheā€™s the one who pushed for us to have every other week in the summer. She canā€™t even handle her own kids. I feel like both of them just expect me to either deal with these kids running my home or for me to step up and be the mom. And Iā€™m not mentally prepared for going thru that kind of responsibility again. I will gladly love them and HELP with them but when I want to go somewhere without kids I feel like I should be able to whether we have them or not. If I want to spend a day in my room because they are pushing my buttons too much I should be able to because I didnā€™t raise these kids to act they want they are and I am exhausted. I do expect to be respected in my own home. I feel like healthy boundaries can be set to make this workā€¦thats what Iā€™m asking if Iā€™m a jerk for.

Kids are part of the deal. Just leave him alone and let him be a dad. Find someone without kids.

2 Likes

Donā€™t date a guy with kids. DUH. what the fuck. have this conversation with him, I hope he walks away.

You donā€™t know what to do!?
You donā€™t get with a man that had kids if you donā€™t want them. Point blank period.
There is no way to say that without sounding like an ass. Every other weekend is 8 days a month. Suck it up and be the best stepmom ever or just flat out leave. Both the man and children deserve someone who WANTS to be there.

Iā€™d say end the relationship find a man without kids or a similar situation to you

2 Likes

Maybe you need to find someone without kids or whose kids are grown. Youā€™re a mother, you should know when you are with someone with kids, itā€™s a package deal. Stop wasting his time and move on.

6 Likes

Why would you accept a man who has young children just to hurt them later

5 Likes

There a package deal and youā€™re very selfish. You should have never got with that man if you werenā€™t ready to take on kids again. Do him a favor and leave him. Him and his kids deserve someone better than you.

8 Likes

Kids come with him. If you canā€™t except them and be a part of their lives then you need to move on. Itā€™s not fair to him or them kids

5 Likes

I definitely wouldnā€™t be with someone who didnā€™t want any part of being there for my kids. You need to be with someone with no kids, or whoā€™s kids are grown. And youā€™re a year inā€¦ what will the kids think?

4 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s possibleā€¦ and it would probably end with a lot of resentment. If you donā€™t want to be a step-mum, thatā€™s fine - thereā€™s nothing wrong with feeling that way, but how would that make him and his kids feel? How are you going to feel in the situations when he puts his children before you? Are you going to want him to step up and be a father figure for your own children?

Might be better to let him know how you feel and either just keep things casual or find someone in a situation that better suits the lifestyle you want.

3 Likes

If you donā€™t want to have little ones donā€™t bother pretending,

2 Likes

I bet their mother would appreciate that if nobody elseā€¦. I donā€™t see why it should be an issue. You can have a relationship with the kids without taking on parental role. Hell itā€™ll probably make life a bit easier on all parties. As long as your not expecting him to miss out on raising them or pushing them away

3 Likes

Id say yes IF you dont live together for the time being. Just dateā€¦and go on girlfriend or solo trips on some of the weekends he is with his kidsā€¦.

Just wow!! Leave that man alone since you donā€™t get it. He is a package deal!! Someone else wonā€™t mind filling the role of bonus mom and those kids donā€™t deserve a resentful ā€œstep-motherā€ that only wants the attention of their father and nothing to do with them. Just selfish to even think that is acceptable :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Imagine someone saying that to you when your babies were younger , :face_vomiting: your mind set is gross , him AND his kids deserve someone who wants them in their life. Itā€™s him and his kids or you leave. you donā€™t get to have him and not his babies aswel.

4 Likes

Leave this man. Iā€™m sorry but you donā€™t deserve him. You knew before yā€™all started dating he had kids and you knew after yā€™all started dating he had kids so it wasnā€™t a surprise. His kids will never come before you regardless of anything. If you truly canā€™t accept his children and treat them like theyā€™re your own then u need to walk away from him and his kids.

5 Likes