Can my child get a passport without father consent?

I did get a passport recently for my son who is 9 without fathers consent Bc I have full custody of the child all I had to show was my court papers while filing for the passport

1 Like

Idk because my daughter has hers (thank God) but I never consented or was even contacted about it.

Is he on the birth certificate? If no… then yes. If yes… then no.

I had a custody agreement with my ex and even though I have primary. Dad never signed the birth certificate, I still did the process and brought him to the post office with me to have him sign. The guy literally looked at him and said he’s not on the birth certificate so he doesn’t need to be here.

1 Like

This completely depends on the state you’re in. I had to do a newspaper ad, for x time. Because he wasn’t present. Some states require both parents to be present. Your best bet is to contact the state, or check their website. Tell them your circumstances. Usually they’re very nice and can help you easily navigate this without jumping through massive hoops.

2 Likes

If his on the BC u need fathers consent and he has to be present unless u wait till child is 16. I called different places and told them different stories about the dad not been present no luck !

Nope. My husband is on our daughter birth cirtificate and he had to be present for me to apply for our daughters passport. I applied in Arizona

You should have a court order, FYI. If he ever decided to come back, he could take the kids and not return them, which would be legal for him to do so, since there is no court ordered document stating who has custody.

2 Likes

No qith my son i had to.show them.his dad death certificate or the would not do it

If you haven’t seen him in several years and don’t know how to contact him, they will have you fill out an affidavit and get it notarized

If he’s on the birth certificate than no, you can’t take him out of the country without the other parents consent

i got my daughters passport 3 years ago without her dads permission with a covering letter stating i didn’t no where he was and had no issues :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My son has had his passport since he was 6 or 7 dad is not on bc and I had absolutely no issues

You’ll need to show you made attempts to reach the father. If that’s unsuccessful you need to go to court and have a judge approve it. You need a letter endorsed by the court and notarized explaining exactly why the father isn’t there. That’s if there’s no court order.

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can my child get a passport without father consent? - Mamas Uncut

Get a family lawyer asap and figure out how to find him. I believe if several real attempts to contact the father have been made with no success I believe a judge will sign off. They have to be real attempts though. Be prepared for an outcome you may not want. Make sure you start documenting any abandonment (i.e. when he left, stopped talking to his son, when he stopped child support, when you lost contact etc) I really feel ya. My ex is living on the streets in Las Vegas last I heard and addicted to meth. I don’t even know if he’s still alive. Hasn’t seen, spoken,or supported his children in almost 10 years. Luckily my son is over 18 but my daughter still has 3 years before she’s an adult. Haven’t needed to get a passport for them so there’s that.
Your best bet is a family attorney. Try contacting thr United Way in your area for free legal help. Also get in touch with the attorney General, they might be able to help and make recommendations. Best of luck!

6 Likes

You have to have both signatures until the child is 15 in USA, AND both parents have to physically be there to submit application to acceptance agency.

If the father cannot be there, there is a form he can have notarized beforehand, within 30 days I believe of application date–double check the dates though. That form allows you to get the passport without his signature on the application. That is used for weird cases like when a parent is in prison, or hospitalized, or cannot be there for another reason.

I had to have that form because my daughter’s father lives in Canada, and he cannot cross into USA.

They do allow the sole custodial parent to submit the application however. There are strict requirements. I think you have ot have both sole physical and legal decision making awarded through state and submit those papers too.

1 Like

No, other parent has to sign legal name. Plus why would you leave without the other knowing? It could get ugly for the one leaving

2 Likes

If you are talking about US Passport, then yes you need bothe parents signatures up until child reaches age 15. Unless you have a court document stating you have full legal custody. It’s very clear and strict on the US Passport rules. If you have no contact with Father you will have to go to the court to get this full legal custody in order to obtain or renew your child’s passport as only signatour.

10 Likes

Nope, pretty sure you need to have them sign. My brother’s ex dealt with this. He was on the BC but was NOT the father. He refuses to meet up with her to get that fixed and refused to sign the paperwork so that the girl could go on a family vacation outside of the country.

2 Likes

I’m pretty cure you need both parents. When my 1yr old got his passport we had to take his birth certificate and both my husband and I had to be there to sign. You can look on the website kr maybe call the office to be sure

4 Likes

Check the laws in the country you are in as it can vary.

I signed both my kids passport details on my own, it was harder with my eldest as his dad is on BC but couldn’t contact him. I had his own solicitor sign off that I had done everything I could.
Daughter’s isn’t on BC and never will be.

In the US, I read at one time, but do not have personal experience, that you can possibly go in front of a judge and ask for permission.
I would THINK you need to show that you are an established citizen with every reason to return, along with genuine efforts to contact the other parent.
Not legal advice or real experience, just my thoughts as a person.

2 Likes

This will not be the last issue. Your going to need a family law attorney. Get everything done properly,don’t waste time or money on anything else

3 Likes

Absolutely not even though you have full custody full custody the father still hasn’t say so sorry! But you have to have his permission to take a child out of the country

2 Likes

I was told If they are under age 16 you need both, there is a form you can fill out explaining why you can not get the other parents signature. I basically said if you can find him for a signature let me know i would love to start getting my child support. My daughter has not seen him since she was 5 i have no clue where he is.

She had her passport within a month

3 Likes

I got one in Canada without fathers permission. It was quite the process, but I got it. I also have sole custody because the father never showed up for the divorce hearing. I had to write a letter to the passport board explaining the circumstances and I finally got granted a passport for him.

That’s a bad idea. Take the child outside of the country without their fathers consent is a good way to get arrested and have your rights to them changed to where he is the legal guardian. Don’t be irresponsible. Get his permission

1 Like

We had to return to court and have her loose her parental rights. And dad made sole guardian. Then absolutely no problem getting passport.

2 Likes

I’d be more concerned about getting a court document saying you have sole custody of your children. Get more than one copy.

1 Like

Have a nosy friend look him up. Everyone knows someone that has mad sleuthing skills

2 Likes

I had dramas but only when I went international. Europe was fine . If you both have same surname shouldn’t be an issue. My son has a different name to me sometimes he gotten asked who I am by passport control .

What if the mother was inseminated in a sperm bank? There are special circumstances in every case. I would suggest discussing this matter with an attorney.

You need a court order saying the mother has full parental rights.

4 Likes

You can go to a judge and get him/her to sign the forms for you… you don’t need a solicitor… told the judge that I knew his where abouts and that I even rang garda stations in the county I knew he was living in… bit none of them knew him… (this is true) the judge signed the forms and wished us a happy holiday…

Is he on the birth certificate?

Man, I hope it isn’t possible. Otherwise, a Parent with ill intent could remove a child from their hime country.

Nope. My son was 15 and I applied for special circumstances and they said the only special circumstances are if they are incarcerated or dead. I kid you not. My son hadn’t seen his father in 10 yrs… no calls nothing. No clue where he lives no contact. They said I had to find him and get him to sign it with a notary present. I told him last time I saw him he pushed me down the steps and threw a chair at me. No thanks I’ll figure another way. My sonnwas turning 16 in 2 months after that conversation, once they are 16 they only need one parent and themselves… so I just waited. If I couldn’t I would have had to go to.fsmily court ans have a judge sign it. My son was going on a school trip to Europe … it wasn’t even to go away with me. Its horrible how the systems treats parent sometimes.

2 Likes

If his name is not on the birth certificate you don’t need his consent

1 Like

Not sure what country UK fill out any his details include a cover note saying have no further information as have no contact xxx

Need fathers consent before taking out of country whether he sees them or not. If his name is in birth certificate you CANNOT take him out of country. Need noterized statement from father or he has to be there to sigh his consent. No need to pay a lawyer when u can get free advice from where ever ur getting passport. They will tell u the same thing i just did. But to be on safe side call and ask. Good luck

1 Like

Why does the child need a passport anyhow Stay in the USA :us:

1 Like

You can’t file to get a passport without your ex signing to

There is a form for exigent circumstance like for when a parent is absent

No thats mean the dad needs to be included. You seem selfish.

1 Like

You list the father as deceased

1 Like

Yes you are the parent just need a birth certificate

File for abandonment then you can get them

As far as I was concerned. Dead to me. Not a lie

1 Like

No if he/she is under age

My sons father got him a passport without any dealings from me

The next of kin signs the form and the child signs as well in front of the garda in Station u must provide the birth cert when applying for it and your photo id is his name on the birth cert if it is explain to them that he is no longer in the child’s life either I don’t see why it will make any difference.

My x-wife was going to Jamaica and called from the airport crying and yelling profanities. I laugh big time and said funny your travel agent didn’t warn you. Faxed my x-wife a note and away she went…

1 Like

Why even say anything about the father. When I got my sons passport I had to have birth certificate and a picture.

Ask your local guards Sargent to sign ,shouldn’t be a problem .

Stephanie Jane Countryman. I thought this might help you if you are still considering .

I was able to get my sons with a Notarized affidavit for an absent parent, they supply them in the website

I had to get doc notarized from the absemt parent to get the passort card… just to go from the us to canada. No flight… and also had to type up a doc saying he is allowinge to take her out of the us and jad him signed and date it.
And i had to list the exact date of leaving and coming back. And even then its up to board partorl to deem it accepted or not

Give them info u know.i did with son. Gave his name as that’s all knew,he wasn’t on birth certificate

I was able to get my son’s with no issue but my son’s father isn’t listed on his birth certificate

You can just put his name and no address details if they question it then say unknown

Get his rights terminated they will find him if you have his social security number

Must have court paperwork showing 100%. If he refuses or you can’t find him petition the courts and when he doesn’t show court will geNt

Wow! The amount if incorrect information on this post!! This goes to show never ask Facebook. Go to the post office and ask whoever does the passports. Go to the website and READ what you can do. Anything other than asking here because the comments are ridiculous. Here is the form you need if you don’t want to go back to court. https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5525.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2K2ZbvJdx50UxQm2UhqkblHnd7dcbVfsfZQYXqmMyRH6ig4jMafX9Mwhs

If you haven’t seen the father in years, you should be able to get the Court to grant you full legal custody. You would probably need to do due diligence in trying to find him first though.

I got my kids done without

Laws differ depending on where you live. But experience has taught me that no matter how absent the father (parent) is, you have to have their permission to get a passport. The only other way would be to talk to an attorney and see what your other options are.

I got a passport for my daughter without her father’s signature…she was ten and I could prove that I had no idea where he was…it took alot longer to get passport and had reschedule trip but ultimately got passport…good luck🙂

Had no problem getting my son’s passport without his dads involvement. As long as you have the needed info to apply you should be fine.

3 Likes

You probably need to have him removed from the birth certificate or get a court order of approval

I’m curious as well. A long time ago a friend of mine was having problem locating the father and she couldn’t get a passport.
#Lexi

If you were married to the father you simply don’t need his consent.

If he hasn’t been around for a while and you can’t find him, file for abandonment, they can terminate all his rights if he can not be located. If he can be located and decide to show up he can fight but it’s doubtful he will retain rights.

3 Likes

Of course you need the fathers consent…why wouldnt you.Just like if the roles were reversed youd expect to have to give your consent.If no legal full custody is in place if these laws were not established then either parent could take their child and flee…

In UK you just need the signature of one parent and you apply online :joy: In the U.S., most places require consent of both parents, if not both to be present.

1 Like

My neighbor just had to do this. She just told them she hasn’t heard from him and didn’t have any contact information on him. They didn’t give her any issues

3 Likes

I think it would depend if you’re moving to another country, just vacationing, and what state you’re in

1 Like

I got my sons a long time ago when he was 8 I just needed the paperwork showing I had full custody decision making and wrote in the attestation box that he has never been in contact no way of reaching and they were fine with it

2 Likes

Birth certificate your drivers liscnece. And if you have gotten remarried marriage certificate. Ss# for all BOTH PARNETS SIGNATURE unless full custody then court documents stating that, notarized documents on their form if the father is unable to sign. Call your local office they will tell you .

Under age 16 both parents are required to sign the application. Or you can have dad fill out a separate consent forms for each child so he would not have to come along. If you call the passport services agency you can get full details or try the travel.state.gov website.

I had full custody had immigrated after my divorce with my son then 7yrs old to Australia yet when i applied for his Australian passport they made me get his father to fill out the bit that he was the dad and that he the dad consented to son getting Australian passport…

I had to track down the father and ask him to sign the waiver because my daughter was three at the time, a minor. I did not have the papers saying I had full custody although I have full physical custody and he never sees them. He was only on the birth certificate in name only. Good luck with the process! I hope their might be a different process now. It’s difficult, I find, to do a lot of things because we don’t have a paper to say we have sole custody when realistically, we do and the father has been absent the whole time :frowning:

It is possible without legal papers if the father is not in the picture but it takes alot of time and frustration as they will send out a letter to the last known address and try to find the father, give him 30 days to response first then you can proceed but depends on who you talk to as I was told I had to adopt my own daughter once(took it higher and finally found someone to work with me). This is for a Canadian passport.

Why don’t people read the post properly before commenting? Causes so much confusion.

I didn’t realise that it was the passport that was the issue, rather the visiting another country and leaving the country that was the issue?? Otherwise its a bit unfair situation if you aren’t in contact or put your self as risk for making contact to just sign a piece of paper…:pensive::pensive:

Passports are easy to get without consent its at the airports that you may have problems

Even though my ex lives in a diff state we both had to sign & I have full custody.

2 Likes

Yes. I am a single mom. My son at 6 months age needed passport as i was being transfered to Okinawa, Japan.

If you can prove full legal custody and prove of Father’s absence. Make an appointment and speak to passport people. Or call for info.

If you have full custody there is no problem

Apply for one and see what happens. I didnt need fathers approval