Can my daughter have an Encanto themed birthday party?

I was wondering if it would be considered racist to have an encanto theme birthday party and were white…my daughter loves encanto and her birthday is coming up. The last thing I want to do is showing cultural appropriation is ok when it’s not.

91 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can my daughter have an Encanto themed birthday party?

If you don’t throw this lil girl the party she wants.

8 Likes

If that’s the party she wants, that’s what you should try to provide as a mother. Don’t worry about what other people think.

1 Like

What? My daughter had a paw patrol birthday and she’s not a dog? She’s also a white kid! Mama you are overthinking it.

16 Likes

Why would it be racist?

It sad that this day in time you have to ask that. Throw that baby the party and let her have fun. Hope she has the best day ever :heart::heart:

5 Likes

I personally don’t see a problem with it xx

That would just be silly to think it would be racist. Give your daughter the party she wants.

1 Like

You are thinking too deep into this party. Let her have the party she wants. There is nothing racist about that Hun.

1 Like

Why not? :woman_shrugging:t2:if she wants it let it have it. Kids don’t know anything about racism or anything about cultural appropriation.

1 Like

How is it racist? This is a character… while they’re Colombian and you’re white you aren’t appropriating by theming a child’s innocent birthday party. Clearly you shouldn’t be darkening your skin or anything crazy like that… give your kid the party she wants and have fun.

1 Like

My daughter is obsessed with Moana and wanted to dress as her for Halloween, but I didn’t let her for this exact reason. I was terrified that someone would say something and she was bummed. Throw your baby that party and don’t even give it a second thought!

2 Likes

If that’s what theme she wants then I’d go for it if those who show up is offensive then they are not true friends/family… it’s ur girl’s day make her happy 

2 Likes

This isn’t considered cultural appropriation. Happy birthday to your baby :heartpulse:

1 Like

This is whats wrong with the world. People getting offended by everything! Why would it be racist?? Throw the damn party! :woman_facepalming:

Throw the party let’s not limit children’s choices.

2 Likes

Thinking way to deep…… if people have an issue with it those aren’t your people! Throw that baby her party but just don’t talk about Bruno!!!

5 Likes

The fact that you even have to ask this question shows how truly Disturbed and fearful of being politically correct people are. That’s not racist. People are calling everything sexist and racist and prejudice now. Really it’s the opposite. Can you imagine if you didn’t want to throw your daughter a birthday party that is inconto theme to because they are hispanic?
She is a child who loves the movie and deserves to have a birthday party. Back in 2000 2012 won my 2 year old daughter wanted a door the explorer party I never once questioned if it was racist because Dora is Spanish. This same way that when she wanted an iron Man party and to dress up as iron Man I didn’t assume that she was a man. And the same way that she wore a Tiana costume once. I don’t think admiring someone of another race or Creed or nationality is negative. People that want to spend things that way I have their own issues please don’t let them affect your child and her happiness

11 Likes

It’s sad that this has be asked… Give your baby that party with the theme she likes! Geezzz

1 Like

Oh my lord when will life ever be back to normal again. I’m guessing never…the world our kids are growing up in :broken_heart:

7 Likes

We are throwing my daughter and son a joint party because they are turning 6 and 2. My daughter picked Hawaiian themed and dinosaurs for her brother. We aren’t from Hawaii and we aren’t dinosaurs but it’s still happening. Stop being so dang worried about simple crap and hurting other people’s feelings and give your baby the party she wants. Would you rather disappoint your baby or the world that doesn’t really matter

4 Likes

It’s Disney the world will be okay give the little princess her party

2 Likes

Girl, give her that party!!
If you really need permission, I’ll be the Colombian American to give it to you but I really think this shouldn’t even be a question

5 Likes

Girl give her the party she’s q child she won’t notice what it means

This is what’s wrong with America. :weary: How about fuck anyone that wants to equate your child’s favorite movie to them being racist.

Throw that party, make your kid happy. kick anyone out who says something.

1 Like

Not understanding this post, how would that be racist I’m confused lol

Give her the Encanto party and screw everyone’s opinions! It’s a movie!!
My daughter is half Hispanic and we got ridiculed in some other groups for putting her in outfits celebrating national hispanic heritage month because she’s “white passing”.
I’m just so sick of the world we live in currently. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

It’s just a party theme. Do what ever she wants! I buy my kids African American dolls and we are white. I’m teaching my babies that color doesn’t matter

4 Likes

Cultural appropriation is only a thing in America because politicians made it a thing. It is an absolutely ridiculous concept and to go as far as to not let your child enjoy things geared towards them because the character is a different ethnicity is what is racist. It is a ridiculous concept geared to make ppl feel ashamed to be white. I cannot control the color of my skin any more than you can and I will never be ashamed of the color of the skin God chose to give me just because a politician told me I should be… that is as stupid as Cultural appropriation is.

10 Likes

This post is awesome! Do the party like you want too! But Thank you for having such an awareness to ask? How will this look? Have that Encanto themed party! Happy birthday to your daughter!

1 Like

If having the party the way she wants isn’t done with the intention of racism then it is in no way racist. Don’t show her any negative attention to things or people that are different then she is. Part of where our children learn racism is through the adults in their lives.

1 Like

Throw the party, just remember it’s cultural appreciation not appropriation. As a Colombian mix I’m 100% supportive!

6 Likes

It’s truly a sad state when that much…thought…needs to go into a CHILDS birthday party. :roll_eyes::person_facepalming::roll_eyes:
If someone has an issue with it?
SCREW THEM.
Yep. I said what I said.

Here’s the deal:
(Just my experience and memories from being a child)
I was 9/10ish when Mulan came out.
I loved that movie.
It sparked an interest and love of learning about other cultures that I didn’t have prior…That love hasn’t gone away.
I’ve got all kinds of nonfiction books on my shelves about other cultures and places.
If someone had chastised me for having a Mulan themed party or loving the movie it probably would have completely ruined my interest.

There are different ways of looking at things.
If someone wants to look for negative they will ALWAYS find it. Whether you throw your kid an encanto party…a frozen party…or some randomly generic party.

If instead people focused on the positives, they would see that this movie and party theme could be hugely inspirational for a child in so many ways.

7 Likes

Stop worrying about what others think and live your life the way you want to live it. You only get one life to live

The only way it could be racist is if you changed your daughters skin colour with makeup, or had a go at the culture. Having fun with Encanto is not a bad thing.

4 Likes

There’s a lot of sensitive sallies that’ll always have something to complain about. Throw the party and have fun!

My daughter had a princess Sofia party when she was 7 shes black? It doesn’t matter :woozy_face:

6 Likes

It’s actually sad that your mind has taken you to that thought process.
It’s a child’s movie, there is nothing racist about celebrating that way.
Let her enjoy her birthday.

5 Likes

Children aren’t taugh racism , It’s her party let her be a kid.

1 Like

Don’t worry what others say kids and us as people can like what we like without having to feel judgment from others xx

If it makes your child happy then do it, don’t ask permission of anyone, your child, your rules, your party. Go for it n enjoy xx

Just let her have it. It’s her day. If someone has something to say over a child loving a Disney movie, they are the problem…

5 Likes

Dear dear me let her have whatever theme you want it’s her party enjoy it don’t worry about offending people

Give her her birthday party! My baby is BLACK and she will have her Encanto birthday party!

3 Likes

I am a school librarian. A few years ago, I was so excited to share my ideas for a Let’s Taco 'Bout Summer Reading book fair I was planning with a facebook librarian group. I had so much fun planning matching shirts with my volunteers, cool fiesta decorations, fundraising contests that involved the staff and students…and I got pushback from some of those librarians for my insensitivity to the Hispanic culture. I was devastated. I am kind and considerate of ALL people but I chose a fun, colorful, and engaging theme for young children and that rubbed people the wrong way. I say throw that party and have a blast!! Take lots of pictures and enjoy the day! When I think back to that book fair, I think of the negative stuff first but then the other stuff follows. I wish it was the other way around!

Im latina n my daughter too n she will have encanto bday party very soon but so did she other themes
As frozen all white fine

2 Likes

This is more like the opposite of racist you are obviously open to other cultures besides yours why would that be a problem it’s a theme for a bday :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I don’t think a theme party would be cultural appropriation. It’s a theme. Cultural appropriation is more when you do something in everyday life from another culture I think… There’s always gonna be someone upset about something. Just enjoy your party :woman_shrugging:

She’s a child! Why wouldn’t it be ok, because you’re white?? That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard!

2 Likes

It’s not cultural appropriation. It’s appreciation and it’s fine.

2 Likes

How would it not be okay? You’re teaching your child race/colour of skin doesn’t matter.

1 Like

I had an Ariel themed birthday party for my daughter and she doesn’t have red hair lol

1 Like

My daughter is having a Gabby’s dollhouse themed party in two weeks. She looks nothing like The little girl that plays Gabby. She just loves the show and she loves cats. If we teach our children they are only allowed to like and show appreciation for art created by people that look like them, that would be racist.

3 Likes

Would it be racist if an African American child wanted a Cinderella party or a Mulan party? No it wouldn’t so why would it be racist if your child wanted an Encanto party?

5 Likes

this whole post sounds racist already :woman_shrugging:t2: encanto is a kids movie, let your child celebrate the way she/he wants :woozy_face: let them be kids, have fun & be great with it. nothing wrong with having an encanto themed party :ok_hand:

3 Likes

It’s a child’s birthday and a Disney movie, it’s fine

1 Like

Let kids be kids. Have whatever kid friendly party she wants and don’t seek approval from others.

1 Like

Is this really a serious question. It’s a movie let her have her party.

2 Likes

It’s sad that people even have to ask or worry about these things.

4 Likes

Can’t be racist when it’s done out of love and admiration. Let your little girl have her disney encanto party :heart:

“Its so sad that people try to consider how another cultures history, oppression, and abuse should be honored considered and respected” you saying this stuff all sound selfish, lazy or uneducated. THANK YOU to the poster of the question FOR CONSIDERING how they could disrespect another culture that is not their own. I think that is awesome! And its appreciated by those of the culture whose parents/grannys or selves have suffered to exsist within the columbian heritage :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: the world is being forced to be less selfish and have to care about others outside their own beliefs or experiences slowly but surely. And everyone saying “who cares” “its so sad now a days that we cant”… what openly disrespecting someones cultural history without any consideration?? And the people of the culture who aren’t educated on the true dept of their cultures suffage are the ones who often tell people not to care how their culture feels bcuz “im part of the culture so i speak for everyone that its not offensive” yet if they knew the terror their ancestors went thru just so they could work, exsist
, have a opinion in America or their cultures homeland maybe they’d consider otherwise. And those of the culture that say “who cares do what u want” are the same people of color who scream at racist white people for using stereotypes and racist ideologies at them but at the same time u tell others not to care???..Lol so u might aswell let karen yell at u then everytime about “going back to ur country”….? Like u dont pick and choose when racial/cultural disrespect counts. It All counts. Including appropriation. I appreciate this poster for asking​:heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: it shows that people CARE about eachother. Yes. Do the party! Just try to stick to the floral/ colorful theme allow your daughter to wear her costume without appropriating the characters hair/skin color and avoid any culturally sacred meanings/items. If youve never saw a object/outfit/pattern in your culture research it real quick (google) and see what the meaning is to the columbian culture. If its not spiritual or historically relevant go for it! :slightly_smiling_face: again thank you for caring how a culture/person of color would feel before just doing whatever you want. Youre a great role model, citizen, and momma :heartpulse::raised_hands::clap::crown:

18 Likes

It isn’t racist it’s a kids party with a Disney movie. Let her have the party!!! If your that concern do some research on the culture. But it’s a little girl who loves the movie let her be and have what she wants

1 Like

After leaving My Previous Job 8 months ago, i’ve Had some good luck to Learn about this website which was A life-saver for me… They offer jobs For which People can work 0nline From their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 m0nths was for $16490…
Amazing thing about is that The 0nly thing required is simple Typing skills and access To internet…

Read all about IT Here… https://HugeDollars117.pages.dev

It’s a kids birthday party, if any one has an issue with a CHILD wanting a themed encanto party there’s something seriously wrong with them

Not only are you teaching your child about other cultures, you’re also teaching her that we are all human regardless of skin tone

5 Likes

It’s never stopped people of all colours and races dressing up as Elsa or Rapunzel. If you go to Disney in HK you’ll realise that all the Disney princesses are Chinese. And it also doesn’t seem to stop people wearing tartan either. Huge difference between dressing up as a character and dressing up as another race to cause offence.

3 Likes

Let that girl have whatever party she wants too. Sad this world is the way it is that this has to even be asked.

6 Likes

l Get paid over $109 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $14297 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://proworkings1239.pages.dev/

Who. Actually. Gives . A Fuck??? Childhood is all about fantasy. Quit making something out if nothing🥺

As someone from an ethnic background (Japanese) nothing makes me smile bigger than when a child loves a culture so much they want things like this. Teach that baby about the culture and let her have her party.

12 Likes

If it’s what she wants, go for it!! The woke left will get over it. Besides it is not racist!

1 Like

If someone has an issue with a Disney character themed birthday party they need to seek out professional help and maybe find a day job where they don’t have all that extra time to be a moron.

7 Likes

You have that baby a party with what she likes. People need to stop thinking everything’s racist. :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

Really? My 8 year old…white…wants an Encanto party for her 9th bday. I didnt even question it or call it racist. If she wants to dress up like one of the characters…go ahead. God…people need to stop overthinking/getting offended by everything. Kids still make Indian headresses for Thanksgiving at school. Next thing you know,Thanksgiving will be called racist and shut down. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

We’ve really reached the point in society that people are so busy walking on egg shells that they would rather deprive their child of their happiness than potentially upset strangers.

14 Likes

Why does everything have to be about race? Come on it’s 2022

3 Likes

We did an Encanto birthday this past year. I don’t see the harm in it as you’re not trying to make fun of their culture. Your girl loves it. I say go for it!

Don’t tell her her race is anything to think about. She wants wants to be a unicorn, would it be wrong?

3 Likes

My daughter did it, I didn’t question it a bit. No one thinks a child liking a movie enough to make it their birthday theme is racist.

3 Likes

What is wrong with you?
Are you really going to tell your daughter she can’t have an Encanto party because she’s white?
You’re ridiculous.

7 Likes

I love that you’re being so open minded and considerate. You’re definitely ok to do this. The fact you are even concerned about that means you’re intentions aren’t racist. I’m applaud you for even asking. There will always be people who wana talk smack but don’t worry about them. You know your intentions aren’t prejudice and your daughter deserves to celebrate with whatever theme she wants

16 Likes

Uhm I’m Hispanic and I don’t see anything wrong with it. Unless your making fun of the culture then it’d be wrong but it’s nice if others learn and embrace the culture.

5 Likes

I think it’s fine, because it’s a Disney themed party and you’re wanting to be respectful. It would 100% be different if someone’s kid wanted it taco birthday party and everyone dressed up in Sombreros and panchos and fake mustaches

Celebrating culture and other peoples cultures is a beautiful thing, enjoy!

Its not cultural appropriation if it’s done with respect x

Go for it! If your daughter wants an Encanto party let her have it! Don’t think about it or question it.

My 3 year old great niece is having her party today and it’s Encanto themed :woman_shrugging:t3:
We don’t do the whole race thing if we like something we go for it as everyone should. We celebrate everyone

1 Like

Throw the birthday party. Let her be a kid without being bothered by societies bullshit while she still can

As a Hispanic, we do not care. I don’t know any Hispanic who cares about things like this. Dress your baby up and hire a taco truck fo catering. You’d actually be helping the Hispanic community.

7 Likes

Hispanic - no it’s not racist.

It’s sad we live in a society where you feel the need to ask if a certain theme is ok for a 3 year olds birthday party. And in reality the Hispanic people don’t care or have a problem with it. As I seen in the comments. It’s the “woke white people” that will say it’s cultural appropriation and they really have no idea what they’re talking about. So go ahead and give your daughter her Encanto birthday party. It’s a cute movie. My son likes it a lot.

3 Likes

This is like saying u can’t have a pinata at a birthday party because it’s a Hispanic tradition…kids don’t see color they learn race and color from parents if she wants to have an encanto party let her if people have a problem with it then they can leave. All that matters is the smile on your daughters face

1 Like

How many black or hispanic kids have frozen themed parties? Give your daughter her Enanto party.

1 Like

It’s literally a child’s movie :woman_facepalming: so I shouldn’t have had my daughter a doc mcstuffins party when she was 3 bc we are white??

1 Like

It’s only racist if u make it that way… be you and do what makes ur daughter happy

2 Likes

It’s not cultural appropriation omg :flushed: kids will always want to dress up for things they adore, it’s only harmful if you make a big deal out of. Let the kid enjoy the enchanto bday.

That’s ridiculous! My granddaughter had Moana for her birthday. That never crossed our minds that it could be racist! People are out of line if they think it is

1 Like

We did a Coco themed party for my daughter when she was turning 5, just be tasteful

Have the party and let her enjoy herself.

1 Like