Can my wife's work mandate masks? CHECK TOPIC

They can and they will.

My poor husband has to wear a n95 at his work plus a face shield at the same time. So wrong! :pleading_face:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum.

What about a face plastic shield

Depends on the country/state sheā€™s in.

I would try looking into any regulations there may be where yall live because most of these responses are simply based on covid 19 and their concern for everyone but your wife

4 Likes

He canā€™t make her do anythingā€¦but he sure can fire her! My sister has terrible asthma, she has to wear two mask all day, she works in a hospital, she had COVID and she is vaccinated!

17 Likes

No they cannot make her they are obligated to take this into account

This is going to vary by the laws of your location. I would ask a licensed attorney in your area. In MOST places, with medical documentation, she can apply for an exemption to the mask policy.

11 Likes

Wear a face shield! See if work will accommodate her for thisā€¦it & staying as far away from others + handwashing might be safe enough.

39 Likes

It depends on what the state laws areā€¦ In florida they can fire you for whatever reason they feel like and the employers make sure that the fine print in your new hire paperwork show that you signed and agreed to those terms.

1 Like

Yes they can. If she files an ADA and turns it in to her employer and have a note from her doctor stating that she medically can not wear a mask they might allow it.

4 Likes

Recommendation from someone who also has a drā€™s note! Legally they have to follow your doctors orders. They wouldnā€™t make someone that has previous medical issues lift objects over 50lb if required by a doctor not to! Same thing! Her employer is not a doctor and the medical needs of an individual completely surpass what a workplace feels their employees need to wear.

8 Likes

My mom has severe asthma and her doctor encouraged her to ALWAYS wear a mask in public and to get vaccinated!!!
Also your wife wrote a dr note for herself??

7 Likes

I have asthma. If she thinks breathing with a mask is hardā€¦ Covid or a ventilator will be much worse.

106 Likes

She wanna risk covid with bad lungs??? Bby take her to a therapist bc she tryna kermit sewer side

17 Likes

My friend has severe asthma. She has worn a mask for 12 hour shifts for the last 18 months.

23 Likes

How dare people suggest she gets a new job. She couldā€™ve trained her whole life for the role sheā€™s in now and just because of this 1 situation you think she should look for a new job? What a stupid thing to say. Also all of you covid-phobes saying sheā€™d be worse off if she actually caught itā€¦ if you read it all properly, you will see that she has already had it, and she had mild symptoms. If youā€™re all so scared why donā€™t you just stay in your houses forever and let the rest of us get on with life. Also, to answer the question, her employer cannot force her to do anything.

33 Likes

yes they canā€¦its still technically a choice because she can choose to quit or get fired

2 Likes

Sheā€™s probably better investing in one of those masks that have a vent. You can breath normally in those.

2 Likes

She wouldnā€™t be around people the whole 8hours, she should take them off when she s alone or have people at a distance.
She has her rights so does everyone else and everyone safety should be considered

7 Likes

Remember Right to Work States they can terminate you for no reason. They only need one that is just cause to fight you on an unemployment claim. They donā€™t even have to give a reason.

6 Likes

If sheā€™s that vulnerable, she should be isolating. COVID-19 would hit her harder than a healthy person. Start looking for a job that allows for plenty social distancing.

30 Likes

Private businesses can do what they choose. Itā€™s their right.

8 Likes

There are a plethora of jobs out there right now. Perhaps she can get an even better job where she wonā€™t have to wear a maskā€¦?

1 Like

With all her health issues she should be wearing a mask EVERYWHERE! To keep herself safe. Not just from covid bit any other bug in the air, or dust or allergens.

3 Likes

Yes they can. Being intubated and then ventilated would be much worse than the discomfort of the mask.

42 Likes

Itā€™s a workers playground right now. She got leave the food industry and find a new field. Also companies are providing training

3 Likes

My fiance has asthma and has worn a mask this whole pandemic and will gladly continue. So ask your self how much her life is worth . . .

2 Likes

I also have pulmonary issues and was also given an exemption for mask wearing from my doctor. Where I live, masks are mandatory unless you have an exemption. However, in some circumstances, like the doctors clinic or pharmacies, I will have to wear one regardless of my exemption while Iā€™m on premises. Which is fine. But at work, where I am 40 hours a week, I donā€™t have to wear one and my workplace donā€™t try to enforce the issue. I think It depends on where you work (some places may consider you too high risk to work without a mask in their specific line of work and may stand you down if you canā€™t adhere to their policies)

It really is worth chatting to a solicitor who understands the local rules and regulations surrounding covid where you are.
Best of luck :heart:

1 Like

At my workplace we had stickers with an exemption thing on it for people who had a mask exemption, theyā€™ve gone from being allowed to come to work with no mask, to not being allowed, multiple times. Its hard to keep up with

1 Like

I would hate to hear her breathing once she catches COVID

7 Likes

Most employers will let her wear a shield . Or she can take a leave of absence

3 Likes

Maybe she could wear one of those face shields instead? Iā€™ve seen people wear them.

1 Like

Everywhere is hiring. If itā€™s that big of a deal she can go apply herself somewhere else. I have bad asthma, breathing problems chest pain and more. And I work in the fast food industry as well. Yes I have to wear a mask. Iā€™d rather have that on my face then a ventilator.

1 Like

Get legal advice.

If she died as a result of wearing the mask, would the restaurant be liable?

1 Like

If I had all those health issues Iā€™d probably find a face mask that didnā€™t effect my breathing or Iā€™d ask to work away from the public, or even find another job. I imagine getting covid would be pretty dangerous. I side with the restaurant. Theyā€™re protecting their staff and guests.

1 Like

There is no medical contraindication to using a mask unless you have some type of open lesion using a mask doesnā€™t affect oxygen absorption

1 Like

I would think she has a medical exemption and they could not force her.

1 Like

Ive seen ppl wear lil card signs cause they cant wear masks etc. Mayb she can look into it woth N.S.W health n shell have to wear it all the time. Otherwise shell have to stay home due to her asthma

My job allows face sheilds for those who have a doctors note saying they canā€™t wear a restrictive mask for whatever reason.

Canā€™t she wear a face shield instead

1 Like

Because of all her health issues she should be wearing a mask to protect herself,:woman_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

Omg all the idiots saying she doesnā€™t have to wear a mask :roll_eyes::sleeping::yawning_face: its not just about her its about others aswell for f sake this pandemic has made 90% of people stupid

1 Like

In Australia the govt has already allowed people that have breathing problems , not to wear a mask. How can a business go against that

Itā€™s not a lawā€¦they canā€™t make you wear 1ā€¦Lawsuit 101

It will be easier for everyone if she just quit but you on dotishness

5 Likes

They may make her wear one or fire her

You donā€™t need to wear a mask if you have a medical reason

Could she maybe wear a face shield?

Could she wear a full face visor instead?

She wrote the note herself? Why didnā€™t she get an official note from her doctor? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Can she afford a yearā€™s Leave of Absence?

Itā€™s actually discrimination. She can go to fair work https://humanrights.gov.au/about/covid19-and-human-rights/face-masks-and-federal-discrimination-law

She can try a face shield

1 Like

This is why we are still fighting covid. Yay.

People with those problems working usually wear shield masks instead of the regular fabric mask.

No ā€¦they cant discriminate ā€¦thatā€™s a lawsuit

Itā€™s a private company. They can do what they want. If she doesnā€™t like it, she can look for something else.

3 Likes

Yes her job can legally make them wear masks, just like they have to wear uniformsā€¦ also tooā€¦ she can find a New job If she doesnā€™t like the requirements . Simple as that.

1 Like

It may not be up to management! It could be a federal, provincial, state law.
Depending on location it may very well be not just in the employerā€™s rights, but their responsibly, aka they could be hit with a fine or charged if employees arenā€™t complying.
I suggests looking for different employment but thatā€™s not easy for everyone. :broken_heart:

soooā€¦ someone isnt truthing hereā€¦a thin piece of cloth or paper mask will not inhibit breathing to the point of passing outā€¦andā€¦a business cannot ignore a dr. order, theyd have to find her a different positionā€¦soā€¦:woman_shrugging:

Wear a face shield instead. No excuses there.

Also if you are in an At Will stateā€¦ then the law favors the employer more than the worker.

All states in the U.S., excluding Montana, are at-will. Most do have exceptions, but the states of Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Nebraska, Maine, New York, and Rhode Island do not allow any exceptions.

There are discrimination laws.

Just download an exemption

I didnā€™t read this but yes

Face shield? Get another note?

I happen to believe that, if itā€™s related to
Covid, theyā€™ll probably get away with itā€¦

So youā€™re saying she isnā€™t even vaccinated but wants to go maskless too?
Sheā€™s bought into YouTube convincing her she immune.
Geeezzzze!

There are plenty of work from home jobs she can do.
I wish her the best with the career change.

Where a face shield then?

Wear a face shield instead

I have serious respiratory issues and (I speak for myself only) I have no problem with masks. I have adjusted. Our bodies are amazing machines. I recognize that with respiratory disease should I be infected with the SARS virus the possibility serious infection and death is very real. The Virus is ever changing having had Covid and or having vaccines is not a guarantee. But a safeguard against serious infection.

1 Like

Face shield seems to be a comfortable comprise

4 Likes

Is this a serious question

7 Likes

Perhaps contact a lawyer for LEGAL advice not facebook.

5 Likes

Uh, yeah they can. I really donā€™t buy that she has such bad breathing issues where a mask causes her to pass out. Plus. A face shield counts. Come on now stop making excuses

8 Likes

Many states are right to work states. She may have to find a job more suited for her.

2 Likes

My son has asthma. He wears a mask for 12 hours a day outside in the heat. Drs recommend it. Weird hers doesnā€™t. They can enforce masks since the person wearing a mask protects others. Not wearing her mask endangers those around her. If she canā€™t tolerate it maybe thereā€™s a position she can do from home with her company or she can find another job that she can work from home. Also she might be able to file for SS disability. She canā€™t do her job because of medical reasons.

2 Likes

In food service, they can absolutely make you choose between wearing a mask and keeping your job

1 Like

She should go find another job, not serving the public.

They can mandate a mask by a loop holeā€¦ making it a part of their dress code policy.

Depending on the state. Like Iowa is an at will employment state. So she can quit or be fired for any reason. Obviously if itā€™s mandated at work sheā€™s not complying with work details they could let her go

I would ask whether a face shield is a reasonable accommodation. I know of someone at work who wore a shield instead with no issues.

Absolutely . My job is mandating us to have the vaccine.

I mean Iā€™m sorry normally Iā€™m for the whole ā€œdoctors note rules allā€ but she works with food. I feel like this is the same concept of a hospital employee deciding not to wear a mask, you would be a super spreader and not know it for days. Or a better example is working in a bank. You come into contact with people all day all the time, the risk of transmitting covid is the bigger priority. If she canā€™t handle the job she has with a mask, maybe find a way to work away from food? I donā€™t know if thatā€™s possible but that would be the ideal scenario.

3 Likes

There r people that have issues keeping their oxygen levels up so there want be issues breathing. With a mask on, it cuts the oxygen level down that causes issues with oxygen intake. When u are struggling to breath, you feel terrible and very weak. I know, I have panic attacks where I canā€™t get enough oxygen to keep going. I do wear a mask but if a panic attack happened that mask would be off. Wait until u have issues breathing. People on oxygen will have issues with mask on. I know how they feel, I have had to be on oxygen before and know how it feels.

The past 1-1/2 yr has been hard on everyone. Why am I not seeing any concerns regarding the thousands of illegals, many with covid, being allowed to cross our southern border to be transported to interior cities throughout night! Isnā€™t this putting our citizens in harms way? We have gone through enough! We should be past masks

They can say they are unable to accommodate the restriction and therefore, she canā€™t come back to work until A) sheā€™s released from the restriction or B) the restriction no longer affects the job.

3 Likes

The thin paper masks do not restrict breathing. Plus, if she has all these health issues, wouldnā€™t she want to be protected? This doesnā€™t make any sense. Vaccinated people can still get moderately sick. :mask::mask:

I would think it should be viewed as any other dr restriction notes turned into employers. If you canā€™t lift over 25lbs and they force you to lift 40 causing an injury that could have been prevented by abiding by the drs restrictions then they are liable for said medical cost and open for litigation against them.

Many times, an md will Ā« write a note Ā» so the patient will shut up.

If vaccinated why wear a mask? What really is this vaccineā€¦so the symptoms arenā€™t as bad? Oh an experimental vaccine that keeps your symptoms mild and the bi push to get itā€¦they didnt do that for the flu How many people died of the flu in 2018 2019?