Can vaping while pregnant harm the baby?

Just found out I was pregnant after I missed my period. Up until this time, I had been vaping 5% nicotine. I just found out last night I am pregnant, so I think I’m about 5/6 weeks. Vaping is going to be hard to stop because I have done it so long. I always have an urge to hit my vape. Do any mamas have experience with vaping while pregnant? Will it harm your baby? What are some things that helped you to stop? Any answers would be appreciated.

40 Likes

I vaped 5 minutes before I found out but immediately stopped and my baby has turned out fine I thought it would be hard but I thought about my kids health and that helped me

5 Likes

Yes it can. Its similar to cigarettes. It has toxins in the liquid. Talk to your OBGYN and see if there is an alternative, my mom has smoked for 25 years and when she was pregnant shs chewed gum and ate lollipops

1 Like

i don’t think anyone really knows what the long range affect vaping will have on babies. if you can quit, might be best-- good luck with your baby.

4 Likes

Always best to quit but I smoked during my 3 pregnancies on and off all 3 kiddos are healthy as can be ages 3,8,9 now

1 Like

Just stop vaping. If it bad for you it bad for your baby

4 Likes

There’s always a risk.
However, many Drs don’t suggest cold turkey quitting bc the “stress” & anxiety can also be harmful. Definitely talk to your Dr.
Also, look into cognitive therapy for help to retrain your hands & brain.
Good luck momma!

5 Likes

I highly highly doubt it’s any better then smoking well prego…I would assume the possibilities of certain…side effects would be the same as cigs

Not sure why this is even a question.

10 Likes

Vaping is bad in general I wouldn’t continue Incase it can harm the baby it’s the same as cigarettes

Vape is awful no matter pregnant or not!!!

2 Likes

Id quit. They don’t recommend kids doing it, so it’s probably not safe for a baby. Good luck. I had to quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant with my oldest and thankfully morning sickness kicked in soon after and made it much easier.

Maybe run B12 vape past your OB.

Download QuitSure app, it will retrain your brain. I’m 2 months smoke free.

2 Likes

So little known. Hope you are able to quit. For the sakes of you both i quit the moment i found out i was pregnant! Been 21 years since my last one. Wish you the best either way!

Just quit. Why risk it? It’s your baby. A human life.

11 Likes

My doc recommended that I not quit cold turkey, but take measurable steps to cut back until I quit. I smoked about a half a pack a day, and I “rationed” until I was down to one a day and made it so it was the last one in the pack, and didn’t have any left over. I quit within about 3 weeks. Set an alarm on your phone that you can only take one hit off your vape when the alarm goes off. And make the times between longer and longer. Don’t purchase anymore. I also bought mints (I’m not a gum person) and I bought easy sudoku books. I did sudoku when I got stressed and needed to get my mind off whatever was bothering me. I took walks also. hardest for me was driving. I always had a smoke while driving. So, I kept something to drink in the car or popped a mint in before I left to go somewhere. Good luck momma, you can do this. And relapse will happen. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

8 Likes

It’s the same risk as smoking cigarettes.

Doctors recommend against it

If you’ve vaped for years and years simply just “quitting” can put some mental and physical stress on your body. Quitting would be the popular route to go, however If you find it too difficult lower your nicotine to 0%. I myself have vaped for 6 years, and whenever we get pregnant I lower my nicotine to 0% and cut back how often I hit the vape. However alot of studies have shown with no nicotine levels by the time they pass through your body and gets to the placenta, 99% of it was filtered by the mother before reaching the baby. Smoking 6, no go. 5 no go. 3 no go. Cigarettes definitely no go.

3 Likes

Nicotine can cause low birth weight whether it’s vape gum or smoke

Your baby should be enough to make you stop…

5 Likes

My son was fine and almost 9 pounds :woman_shrugging:t3:

The smoking censation recommended me to start vaping as I smoke cigarettes managed four weeks no cigs they said it’s the carbon monoxide in cigarettes that harm the baby and the nicotine in vape was safe their the experts and what they have told me to do

1 Like

Level down your nicotine until you hit 0 and then just vape 0%

3 Likes

I smoked over half a pack a day and when I found out I was pregnant I cut down to 3-5 a day and then one a day. I was done within a week.
I’d say to cut down until you can quit completely. I feel like my baby’s health was more important than a pack of smokes. Not sure it’s the same thing but yeah

its not that hard just chew gum to help with my first I went from smoking 3 packs a day to stoping cold turkey some days are easier then others on the harder days I just smell it and I’m good

I smoked when I found out I was pregnant the cut down the eventually went vaping till I couldn’t cope anymore so I stop all together but that was just becuase everything made me sick… but u shouldn’t quit streight away as that can cause more harm, to be honest I know loads of people who smoked vape during pregnancy and there baby was fine. It’s up to you really hun c

I vaped my whole pregnancy but I went down to 0 nic fast.

Talk to your ob on quitting
I wouldn’t recommend on quitting cold turkey because theres a chance that could harm baby, but take measures to start cutting back and quitting, try chewing gum or another kind of candy whenever you get the urge to vape once you start cutting back, good luck love it won’t be easy but if you have a good support system that’ll make it a little better
Congratulations on your new little one🥰

Drop down down to 0 nicotine

1 Like

You know how you feel going through nicotine withdrawal? You want to put your newborn through that? It’s recommended you get down to 0%nicotine as fast as possible.

If you can’t give it up for 9 months so your child can grow and be healthy then you shouldn’t be having a child.

23 Likes

It’s not that hard to stop. I smoked for 15 years and decided to stop and I just stopped… It’s for your babys health and you’ll feel much better once you stop

Smoking won’t harm your child. My mom smoked with all 3 of us and we are fine

7 Likes

Talk to your ob about quitting. Vaping 100% will effect your baby.

3 Likes

It doesn’t harm baby quitting cold Turkey. I’m still struggling with stopping some days but I went from 50 nic to very rarely hitting my husbands 6…

So many unhelpful answers, if you’re only 5-6 weeks, right now the baby is fine. They have not started using mommy for nutrients just yet, but will be very soon. Nicotine is nicotine regardless of what form, cigarettes vape etc. if you can, work your way down to 0% but do it at a slower rate than “just quitting” your OB can maybe give you more insight on how to cope with nicotine withdrawals etc. better for you to power through it now, rather than watching your newborn scream and cry after not getting any nicotine once they’re born.

7 Likes

I stopped cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant. Picked it back up after I had my son - I also am not breast feeding. Definitely advice quitting.

Quitting cold turkey can be dangerous for you and baby as with any addiction withdraws cause stress. Talk to your OB about what they recommend most doctors will say not to quit cold turkey.

3 Likes

Listen to your doctor! NOT the women on here. Some of them are so miserable they have nothing better to do than to give Facebook advice in the nastiest way possible. Consult your doctor. Not everyone is educated in the effects that it can have on a fetus. I don’t understand why one asking for help gets answered so nasty??

26 Likes

I dropped to 0 nic for a few months after I found out I was pregnant with my son. Then probably around 16 to 20 weeks I stopped completely till he was born. Then about a month after I started vaping again but only 3 nic. He’s going to be 5 this November and living a happy kid life.

When I was pregnant with my 3 year old I got told I can use an ecig as long as the eliquid was made in the UK. So I am guessing it will be the same for every country

I smoked for 7 years (2nd time) and quit smoking as soon as I found out I was pregnant. No issues quitting.

2 Likes

I vaped the whole way through pregnancy and was only thing kept me off cigarettes. My girl is very healthy.

3 Likes

Nicotine isn’t recommended

Talk to your doctor about getting help to quit.

Best to talk to your ob, myself I smoked through my pregnancy both times, kids were healthy and fine. What the doctor did tell me is it can cause a lower birth weight. Not saying I didn’t want to quit, but it was hard. Just do the best you can!

1 Like

Some doctors now are actually telling pregnant women to not stop completely but cut back. One of my coworkers actually was told this and it’s because completely quitting cold turkey shocks not only your system but also the babies. Because she had already smoked and vaped, the dr recommended that she continue after finding out she was pregnant but to cut down the nic level slowly so as to not shock either of their systems or send either into withdrawal. But DEFINITELY consult your doctor!

3 Likes

I quit cold turkey right when I found out. Your baby’s life should be enough to quit. Tough love, sorry.

10 Likes

The fact that you are allowing people that are not medical professionals to give medical advice that affects the future of an unborn child is sickening. Especially when people are literally commenting that ‘smoking while pregnant is fine because such-and-such person that they know did it and the baby turned out fine’.

11 Likes

Once your morning sickness kick in you not going to want to smoke nothing but grass :joy::joy::joy:

10 Likes

I am currently 9 weeks myself, have vaped regularly since having my son 11/2017 with cigarettes during severely stressful moments here and there. I currently am not smoking nor vaping. I was vamping regularly when I found out and for a few weeks after until about 2 weeks ago I started getting sick just from the smell of my vape when my fiancé hits it within 20 feet of me. If it weren’t for that I’d still be using it but cutting back slowly. Quitting cold turkey can cause more harm than good from what I’ve been told by my dr both pregnancies. It’s best to slowly cut back. But it is absolutely best to talk to your dr.

When I found out I was pregnant, and I had smoked for 13 years, I stopped. I didn’t find it hard Because I had a reason to stop. Not saying everyone will find it easy. I did, however, start again as soon as he didn’t take to Brest feeding. Everyone is different xx

3 Likes

I personally say no to vaping all together after reading about the bubbles it can create in your lungs but each to their own

I vaped at the beginning of my last pregnancy but luckily my morning sickness made me HATE it and I quit :joy: It wasn’t too hard on me and I was vaping 12%. Maybe taper yourself off, lower it to 3% and then go to 0%

2 Likes

Best to stop ,think about your baby health ,which also means less suffering for baby & you.
If iussus than at least u wouldn’t regret .

Don’t take risk in this situation.

When I found out I was pregnant I was also vaping and smoking the ocasional cigarette. When I found out I stopped cold turkey. Mints helped. It’ll take like a week of hard cravings and then it’ll get easier. Just don’t do it. You’re baby will thank you.

1 Like

It has nicotine so yes, it can cause some of the same issues tobacco can.
If it is going to be more stressful on you and your baby to quit, dont. Move down to a 0%nicotine juice and carry on.
I didnt quit until later in my pregnancy for stress reasons, then let em go at about 6m and started vaping 0% nicotine juice.

1 Like

Of course it’s harmful! It effects the development of your baby. Lower birthweight, their lung and brain development and function, etc. Is vaping really that important to you?

8 Likes

Very little harm can be done to baby before 8 weeks. At least that is what my doc told me. I had similar concerns. I have heard some docs saying to ween yourself off of the nicotine but I also have heard people quiting cold turkey. Babies were fine for both! Just take the right precautions now that you know and always talk to your doctor!

1 Like

Get nicotine free vape

2 Likes

I would speak to your ob. I’m pretty sure it’s recommended to cut down slowly cut it off as to prevent withdrawal or shock but I can’t remember. Just talk to your ob and find out what’s the best way to go about it

1 Like

I find every doctor and person is different so just go with the advice your doctor gives you.

2 Likes

There’s vape juice with no nicotine!! Try that!

1 Like

I suggest just discussing this with your doctor. That’s your safest way to go about it. Do not change anything with the vaping until your doctor tells you the best way to go about it. Get in for your first visit asap.

1 Like

If you found out you are pregnant, you should put your baby first and stop vaping.

3 Likes

I’m going to be honest and don’t want any of you coming for me.
I was not a smoker with my first 2 pregnancies. 12 years later I became pregnant with my now youngest that is 6 mts old. I was smoking when I found out. Quit for a few weeks and picked it back up around my 20th week. I felt bad with every cigarette but I had bi weekly ultrasounds due to a previous high risk pregnancy so for extra precautions they had me monitored closely. Baby always measured 2 weeks ahead and had a healthy strong heartbeat. She was delivered at almost 42 weeks and was a little heifer weighing over 9 lbs. Considering how early you are I would not be concerned. Talk to your OB and see if they can get you a script for nicorette or wean yourself back a little at a time. I know a lot of women that once pregnant the smell and taste of cigarettes absolutely made them sick so they kicked it fast and easy. Good luck!

2 Likes

I smoke weed 2 of my pregnancy they turned out healthy no issues

3 Likes

It a chemical so no it’s not safe for you or the baby. When you drive bye a car and they vape. Look at their windows.I

It has a film on it. That film is going in the baby’s body.

Going to go ahead and suggest expert advise is more valuable for this one than a bunch of FB people. Vaping during pregnancy: Is it safe? - Mayo Clinic

3 Likes

Well for the record, you can be a completely healthy person & do everything by the books & still have a baby that is born underweight or with other issues!

5 Likes

I started vaping 5% when I started and gradually lowered it, I went to 3.5% then 1.2 and now I vape .06%. But I didn’t want to quit or need to. You could wean yourself down to .03 and then 0 and after you’ve eliminated the nicotine it wouldn’t be as hard to quit.

It even says not to use while pregnant or breast feeding 🤷🏻

5 Likes

Try asking your ob/gyn

1 Like

I smoked with both my kids, my OB recommended to slowly stop myself or to cut back because just up & quitting can stress you out & if you stress out the baby stresses out. I chose the option to cut back with both my babies. Both of them were healthy & had no issues. I now have a wild almost 3 year old and a wild one year old! Do what you feel is best, if quitting is to stressful just cut back.

4 Likes

Do not vape or smoke or do anything that is going to harm your baby ! :massage_woman:t2:

4 Likes

I smoked cigarettes my whole 5th pregnancy sparingly. A few hits a day. Shes healthy and happy I don’t recommend that you continue to vape. My experience was completely my own and cigarettes were a horrible craving I had with that baby. With all my other kiddos the smell of smoke sent me into a gagging fit!

I smoked when I was pregnant until morning/evening sickness hit me hard and I couldn’t even stand the smell of it. Got to 20 weeks and was smoking again I had cut down alot but was still smoking. I was induced because they thought she was going to be big but she was super healthy and a lovely normal weight and she is stupidly intelligent and always keeping me on my toes. Obviously I don’t think smoking is good full stop but I still smoke now and it’s down the the individual

2 Likes

switchto a non nicotine vape juice for sure and try not to vape as much as possible

The first thing I’m gonna say is talk to your on and your doctor and ask them to help. The second things is, I have had a long line of miscarriages and then giving birth when I was fifteen and she died 3 months later… I was a heavy smoker, I mean heavy smoker from the ages of 13 up until last year when I got pregnant again in July… during previous times I was pregant I stopped, but I still miscarried, the most recent before my son who was born two weeks ago, I was raped into 2019 and I was pregnant… I was a heavy weed smoker and cigarettes smoker plus a huge drinker but I wouldn’t say addicted because I could quit anytime without any urges or weak moments , when I was pregnant from raped, I smoked and I drank literally every day for drinking and smoking maybe twice a week or three times a week , I miscarried that baby November 24th 2019 at 8-9 week pregnant . And I cried for maybe ten minutes and then I was okay… I was soo used to the idea that maybe t body isn’t meant to carry children that I couldn’t cry anymore… I have two previous miscarriages and my daughter died at 3 months when I was 15, I didn’t smoke either of those pregnancies, I quit. And didn’t smoke until I wasn’t pregnant anymore. I smoked weed twice with my son who I just gave birth too and I drunk wine three times during the whole pregnancy, Just 3 times drinking and 2 times for smoking. My son was born at 6lbs and 10 oz at 39 weeks and 3 days. I would highly recommend not smoking and just being healthy… that baby is using you to stay alive and get nutrients. Don’t put alcohol and smoking into your body, your baby should be more than enough to stop this madness completely

2 Likes

Rule of thumb…if it is harmful to you it is harmful to your baby

8 Likes

Vapping causes many lung problems like Evali. Vaping is very dangerous

3 Likes

I had vaped during my pregnancy, I was at 3mg of nicotine. My baby is 2 years and is perfectly fine. She was a healthy 7 pound 6.9 ounces. I was in the middle of quitting cigarettes and a month before I found out I was pregnant I started vaping. There isn’t a lot of studies on vaping while pregnant either but it is classified in the same category as smoking. Talk to your doctor for help and do what is right and best for you and the baby

1 Like

Vaping probably not cigarettes not bad i smoked both pregnancies and my children are perfectly healthy…

1 Like

My doctor told me not to vape he said smoking cigarettes would be safer than vaping

I vapid with both of my pregnancies but quit shortly after I found out due to the fact it made me want to throw up when I used it

I was smoking a pack a day when i found out i was 6 weeks. My midwife recommended i ween myself off as my body could go into shock if i just stopped cold turkey. By 7 months pregnant i was only smoking 1 cigarette every 2-3weeks. Talk to your doctor to see what they recommend

3 Likes

Got to 3% and then just vape with the 0 nic. Just flavor.

I’m 41 and my mom smoked her entire pregnancy with me so I’m sure your baby will be fine for the times you were vaping, but I urge you to try stop while you are pregnant. I’ve never vaped or smoked but maybe trying to chew gum when you get the urge to vape

Definitely talk to your OB they can help. Also obviously vaping is bad for your baby. I mean it’s bad for you. Babies have to develop lungs and organs and vaping/smoking/drinking/drugs can all hinder growth and development. I’m sorry at 2 you may not know anything is wrong. My nephew was about 10 when we noticed his development was different than other kids.

It’s less harmful that cigarettes.

1 Like

So instead of asking a real doctor you chose to ask fakebook?

5 Likes

To each their own, but I don’t think there’s enough research that’s been done to support whether, or not it could harm your Babe.

3 Likes

Smoking & in hailing smoke (even vapor with glycerine) into your lungs is bad for you. Nicotine is bad for unborn babies. Regardless on how you get it.
If its bad for you, its bad for your baby.
Consult your Doctor before changing your vaping or smoking habit. It might be healthier to limit vs stop. Sounds crazy but its true. They maybe rather you decrease then cold turkey it.

4 Likes

I’m 35 weeks and my doctor said it was fine… Of course I don’t vape a high level of nicotine… He’s already 5lbs with 5 weeks left to go…

Honestly I smoked cigarettes before I found out I was pregnant and literally quit a couple days after finding out because all I could think about was my child and how it was hurting her. :woman_shrugging: Think about your child and seek help from your doctor. Its really not that hard once you start thinking about the safety of your child 247.

11 Likes

Wean now that you know. The good thing about vape is that you can control the dose of nicotine and that 0% is an option. Smoking while pregnant has some serious consequences that you need to research tho.

2 Likes

Everything you intake while pregnant is passed to your baby so yes vaping is dangerous while pregnant (and when not pregnant) Here’s an article from the Mayo Clinic if you would like to know more Vaping during pregnancy: Is it safe? - Mayo Clinic

2 Likes