Can you be evicted for being a sex offender?

Can one be evicted for being on the sex offense registry? That is the sole reason for eviction. The place is tidy, and rent is paid on time every single month. We have a lease agreement until 2023. We are Arkansas.

151 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can you be evicted for being a sex offender? - Mamas Uncut

Yes especially if itā€™s near bus locations

2 Likes

Where I live, depending on the level of offense, they cannot live near a school, park, playground, anywhere like that and can be evicted due to that.

14 Likes

If there are children anywhere near by yes. Should definitely be that way. More needs to be done to keep children safe!!

29 Likes

They should of checked your backgrounds before allowing you to move in. If renting to sex offenders wasnā€™t something they do, they shouldnā€™t of rented to you to begin with!!

All depends on your lease

1 Like

God I would hope so if youā€™re around any schools or school bus tops . Or even day cares .

13 Likes

If you didnā€™t tell them in the first place, or update the town of your new address, absolutely. Iā€™m sure the owner also has a choice if you didnā€™t inform them.

2 Likes

Check your laws in Arkansas.

Edit: I see comments talking about children. Some of you do know you can be on that list and a child not be involved, Js. Donā€™t assume

30 Likes

Yes. If the person didnā€™t register and the landlord wasnā€™t made aware.

Sometimes I think that people just ask these questions for the reaction theyā€™ll prevokā€¦ :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming:

20 Likes

State laws are different. Best to check with a lawyer or go to court

Yes ,100% I understand their are some people on the register for false information.

1 Like

Yes and for all those who are being ignorant. Sex offender doesnā€™t just mean offending a child. I know someone who peed out in public when drunk and no one was even around and now has to be on the sex offender registry.

Keep children safe or ā€œthe place is tidyā€.

19 Likes

Yes. The lease should have terms about it and there would possibly be some local/state laws. If it was not disclosed at the time of the signing of the lease, they are able to do whatever.

Thatā€™s a pretty major offense. Shocked you were able to pass a background check.

1 Like

Of course. Especially if the complex has tenants with families or there are schools parks nearvy

šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø just say yes and keep going cuz smh REALLY!?!?!?

2 Likes

Depends if thereā€™s children in the building. I have 2 small children and wouldnā€™t want one living near me

2 Likes

They run background checks or should. & yes this would disqualify them.

This is a joke right?:joy:

3 Likes

I have so many questions. Was the landlord aware of this before the lease was signed? Are you within distance of school, park or school bus line?

If the person isnā€™t registered, didnā€™t tell the landlord upfront from the start, and they are around schools, parks, or kids then yes they can be evicted. I do know every state is different so you might have to talk to a lawyer but where I am from, at the apartment complex I used to live in, one was evicted because he didnā€™t tell the complex manager he was on the registry and his apartment was right in front of a park.

If there are kids, schools or anything that involves children than yes that would void out your leasing agreement

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://donotpay.com/learn/what-are-sex-offenders-not-allowed-to-do/&ved=2ahUKEwisxaWs5ff1AhULjokEHRnuCWUQFnoECEIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0NAFiAJnXMGRsDs37rXLSH

It depends on the state and the level of registry they have different levels but most are canā€™t be within so many feet of school church playground bus stop day cares etc. But if you have a lease and this question was not asked on the application and now they want to break and violate the lease then you need to consult a lawyer because I could be wrong like I said depends on the state but if the application didnā€™t ask about felony convictions in the past 7 years or if there was a registered person on lease then they canā€™t but if it was asked and you lied then yes absolutely can best to look up the laws in your state not enough info to give honest factual answer

3 Likes

Probably had a lot of complaints if people found out about you. I know I would as wouldnā€™t want you near my kids

15 Likes

Yes. I had to do a background check for my apartment. Itā€™s in the lease sex offenders arenā€™t allowed in the building. There is a daycare in our building and a basketball gym that the local kids use for games/practice. (The building used to be a high school)

Iā€™m ā€˜guessingā€™ YES if you live within a school zone.:woman_shrugging:t4: I could be wrong.:100:

1 Like

Indeed! The life of the person whom is on the list, pretty much doesnā€™t matter.

Basically the says no.

You should be in prison for interfering with children! Not worrying about your eviction. I wouldnt want you living near my children either

18 Likes

Did they accept you with that charge?

Criminal history is not a protected class under the fair housing laws.

1 Like

I hope so. I wouldnā€™t want to love near one.

3 Likes

Depending on what the sex offence is for, yes absolutely you can be evicted!

I would definitely hope so if thereā€™s a danger to any children , teenage boys and girls , young and older women. If your on the registry then thereā€™s most definitely a reason for being on it!!!

7 Likes

Absolutely because a lot of places you have to pass a background check and thatā€™s a good reason not to pass it. If landlord finds out, they have every right to.

1 Like

If children are in the building I would hope they kick him or her outā€¦

4 Likes

Renee Bastin Exactly!!! I personally know someone that the girl lied about her age

5 Likes

Not all on the registry are really offenders, I know someone on there for supplying alcohol to minors, and another for simply stating ā€œsuck my dickā€ while in an argument. Donā€™t just assume someoneā€™s story

Yā€™all, kids are literally everywhere in America! The ones saying if kids live close, thatā€™s literally everywhere! There would not be enough accommodations for all registered offenders :woman_shrugging:t4:likeā€‹:thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_monocle:?!

School zones, parks, churches, playgrounds, yes, but just for the simple fact that kids are living around the area, how can that even work.
Thatā€™s why parents search the offenders list to see who is relatively close/within their proximity :woman_shrugging:t4:

Am I trippin?

6 Likes

Lot of judgment itā€™s not easy to get on the list but definitely happens without malicious intent sometimes

4 Likes

I am not too sure about that, If the person , is registered, keeping to himself, pays on time, there could be a problem, I would contract a lawyer, but again, if that person as a sex offender is doing everything he is suppose to do, as per the law, you might not be able to kick him out. So talk to a lawyer, or you just might be in for a big law suit, especially since this person has been living there for a while, as it sounds & the landlord has had no problems with that person, until they found out that the person is a registry sex offender. Now if the person who is one, & the landlord was aware of it before he rented out, then that is a different story, he doesnā€™t have to rent to him.

Im gonna be the odd one out. I dont know if a landlord can evict you. I havent done backround checks for rentals, nor had lease said anything about this so why bring it up to a potential landlord and ruin your chance to find a home. and its your own problem if your against probation being around kids or a school :woman_shrugging: youll be the one to get in trouble. Im saying this on fact and not my feelings on the subject so dont come at me. For all we know this person peed in public :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Unless you broke the lease no. If you have no lease you canā€™t do anything.

Unless you guys lied about the status as well.

Absolutely they can be evicted. The fact they are even allowed to live after ruining someone elseā€™s life is all the grace they deserve. IMHO, they shouldnā€™t even be allowed in society. :woman_shrugging:t3:
#isaidwhatisaid #survivor

60 Likes

For sure specially if itā€™s privately owned and not government they can make that a rule and requirement And choose not to rent to sex offenders technically private land lords are allowed to discriminate just not government owned ones lol

I know in my lease it does state something about sex offenders, I believe due to them accepting section 8 housing. Iā€™d maybe talk to legal aid in your state or something

Wtf even are you asking this question you should be well away from children etc vile

2 Likes

It depends on certain rules. If your landlord ever stated that there are criminal charges that restrict you from having a lease with them, you should be able to argue it.

With that being said, I think that itā€™s important to remember that not everyone that ends up on the registry is a pedophile or a rapist.
There are many cases (at least in my state) where men are falsely accused and convicted simply based on a good story that the jury believes, despite a lack of evidence.
In some states, you also get put on that registry if you get caught urinating in public or interfere with a custody agreement.

Not everything is black and white.

14 Likes

Stukie Wood seen it all now mate well heard it xx

1 Like

With that being said though, certain stipulations may apply to your standing. For example, if your house is a near a church, bus stop, play ground, etc, your landlord may be evicting based off the location because it could be a stipulation of yours anyway.

There is a sex offender that lives within a 100 yards from me. Kids everywhere in that personā€™s age group for children. Our manager is a sheriff deputy the person rarely ever is seen outside soā€¦yeah

I would think they can but all those saying they hope that they do kick him or her out you donā€™t know the reason the person is on the list. It could be a simple lied about age or someone was 18 with a 16 year old and mom and dad decided to press charges. Please find out what happened before assuming.

11 Likes

If your property falls within certain boundaries then yes legally they can ask you to leave. That means if your neighbors have kids, gone. Regardless of being legal or not youā€™d be out of my property, period. I hope whoever it is is really uncomfortable for the rest of their lives.

16 Likes

Yes. There are laws preventing sex offenders from living close to park, and schools. If the offense occurred during the rental agreement then the landlord can evict. If the offense occurred before, was overlooked, but the law prevents the offender from living there then the landlord has to evict. However, if the offense occurred before, was overlooked, and the offender doesnā€™t live near a park or school and thereā€™s no law preventing the offender from living there, then no. Thatā€™s the only exception.

I just came here to say there are a lot of judgy people on this post. You have no idea why this person is on the SOPR. You can be on the sex offender registry for peeing in public. You can be on it for a 18 year old being involved with an 17 year old. On some places you can be on it for being seen through a window and being naked in your own home.

Thereā€™s a good reason for a SOPR, but there are also people on there who are not threats to the public.

Maybe If you canā€™t answer the OPā€™s question u should just keep scrolling :roll_eyes:

And to the OPā€¦ like others have said, someoneā€™s criminal status isnā€™t a protected factor. In the same way an employer can deny you employment for criminal history.

Prob the only way around it is to try to purchase a home and not rent. (I know that can be really hard but some states have down payment assistance programs through their state housing programs ) Or find an independent person willing to rent without doing a background check. Apartment complexes will be hard to get into.

Iā€™m a social worker and have worked with offenders for a long time. Housing and employment are always huge barriers for people with criminal histories.

Is it new that the person is registered? Or was it prior to the lease?

Look up your state laws. In NY there are restrictions based on if your still on probation/parole & if you live by a daycare, school, park, etc. Also, in NY you do not have to tell your landlord or anything. Level 1 is the lowest & has no restrictions at all. Level 2 has restrictions if your still on paper & level 3 is the highest & has lots of restrictions. Honestly, I would fight the eviction because if your bills are paid then there is no reason to evict. But definitely check your state laws first

1 Like

Is it #relationships because you moved an offender into a home you were already rentingā€¦ if so yes they can evict you. Otherwise same rules apply you canā€™t be within a specified distance to a park play ground school church ectā€¦

1 Like

If itā€™s their home yes. Itā€™s a lease not a life time agreement

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure. But knowing this is scary indeed. I personally know someone that has to register for life. Because of an old friend making up lies to ruin his life. He has a hard time finding a place. Good luck

And for all you judgmental peopleā€¦ did you know in LOTS of states that you can be made a sex offender if you get caught pissing outside? Or if you & your SO get caught having sex in a car you are labeled a sex offender? There are LOTS of scenarios in which people get this label. Itā€™s not just for people who touch kids :woman_shrugging:t2:

I hope so,:face_vomiting::face_vomiting: should throw you all in a block of flats & keep you all there

16 Likes

I would say yes if the place is close to a school, park or something in that nature.

2 Likes

Sex offender doesnā€™t mean you are a pedophile :woman_facepalming:t4: you can literally get caught peeing outside and have to be registered as a sex offender!! Quit judging folks and answer the question or move on! Itā€™s not your place to judge this personā€¦

Iā€™m In Ohio and yes if you are within a certain distance of kids and schools, libraryā€™s, etc. They can and will kick you out. Itā€™s a liability to their property. On top of that they also send the whole neighborhood a card with all the information of the sexual offender on it. So here it canā€™t be kept secret.

7 Likes

It depends on the state and the contract u signedā€¦a contract is legally binding so unless it states some where that they reserve the rt to evict without cause or it says somethings about felonys or those specific situations unless it is specified in the contact no they can not depending on state laws

Iā€™m sure they can if you were dishonest :nail_care:

6 Likes

The fact that this is being asked in a parenting targeted group makes me incredibly sad and uneasy.

55 Likes

Yes they can.

Also, ew.

5 Likes

Why is a sex offender in a parenting group
Nasty and creeping

Yes, of course you can.

If you didnā€™t disclose it when you moved in, or it happened while you were living there.

Absolutely you can be evicted for it.

5 Likes

They should be able to that is for sure. If there are any children in the building uhhh yes duh

8 Likes

Honeslty, you should be given free room and board in a scientific experimental facility. Time to start experimenting on problematic people like this more so than helpless defenseless animals. Lucky it wasnt my child, youā€™d be missing the parts to try it again.

40 Likes

More than likely. Specially if thereā€™s children around or a school. Canā€™t imagine alot of people would want to rent their place out to someone like that

9 Likes

Thereā€™s so many factors here. Do you live in government housing? Are you within a certain distance from a school/daycare, etc.? Was the landlord made aware that said person was a sex offender? Was a background check required or conducted? Was a lease and/or rules and regulations contract signed?

Chances are pretty good that yes, you can be evicted. Especially if any of the above apply.

This is the wrong group to ask this question!

16 Likes

Depends on how close you are to school/park/libraries and/ college

2 Likes

Also if all thatā€™s happening is an eviction count your lucky stars. Keep broadcasting you are or associate w a sex offender where I come from you usually skip the eviction process and go strait to worse :slight_smile:

What sick $@#& would ask that especially in this type of group any sex offender should be unalive

If you are near a school zone yes

Did you register?did you disclose? That is part of your conviction to do these things

Hell I wouldnā€™t even give you 30 days to move, get ur a** out

16 Likes

Maybe Iā€™m the odd one out, But I donā€™t feel the same. We have NO idea why this persons on the list, it could be as simple as urinating in public.:woman_shrugging: I donā€™t feel its fair to evict based on that alone, Iā€™d reach out to a lawyer or a paralegal and double check what your renters rights may be. Goodluck!

23 Likes

You guys realize you can be on sex offenders list for pissing outside they didnā€™t say it was with a child so take a breath

Is there not an admin on here to boot this person out of a parenting group, how did this even get approved?? Could be having a ball on here w kid pics on profiles. You donā€™t know

16 Likes

I knew a guy who had to register has a sex offender because he slept with a girl who lied about her age. He was 21 she was 16, she looked a lot older and did not act her age. As soon as the mom found out she pressed chargesā€¦

Thereā€™s a place you can live for free, 3 meals a day. A gym and everything. Only problem is all the people there donā€™t take to your kind very much. :joy::joy:

23 Likes

Youā€™re asking the whole wrong ass group this question!! Mommas will cut you- over their babies. Being a sex offenderā€¦ no questionā€¦ youā€™re getting cut!!

Evicted is better than hanging by the gonadsā€¦

5 Likes

I by no means would stick up for anyone that hurt a child. But you can be put on the sex offender list for peeing in public. Not everything that gets a person on the list involves children. Of course if it did then good for the landlord evicting you

Is it just me or is it kinda creepy that someone in a parenting group seems to be a sex offender??

You shouldnā€™t have asked that here. Too many judgemental womenšŸ™„ The first ones to talk sh!t are always the ones with the most problemsšŸ¤£ I had a friend who was 18 and his gf was 16 and her mom filed statutory rape charges and he had to register for 10yrs. Iā€™m just going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Anyway, if youā€™re within a certain distance of schools, churches, parks, places like the Boy and Girls club, or the YMCA, then yeah, Iā€™m sure they can evict you. Weā€™re you upfront and honest about being on the registry?? If so, idk why all of a sudden they want to evict you. Read your lease agreement and talk to whoever is in charge. If that goes nowhere, I think the only thing you can do is move out.

Yeah I would evict you from earth.

26 Likes

There are other reasons to get on the sex offenders list. We donā€™t know why they are on the list. You can get on it for peeing outside.