Can you dye your hair while pregnant?

Google it you are suppose to wait until after first trimester

I couldn’t while I was pregnant because I’m actually allergic to bleach, but I’m an A-hole and love my blonde hair… aside from the allergy though it would have been fine, keep it off your scalp and do it in a well ventilated space

Absolutely! Just make sure you’re in a properly ventilated area :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah you can,
Personally I couldn’t handle the smell of hair dye and it made me :face_vomiting: but I was also recommended by a professional to use Ammonia-free dye

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can you dye your hair while pregnant? - Mamas Uncut

Yeah after 12 weeks due to the chemicals I dyed my hair thru all 4 of my pregnancys x

Hey there :slightly_smiling_face: I had my hair coloured during both my pregnancies but I did have a skin patch test before the colour appointments whilst pregnant. I think as long as you have a patch test and you don’t have a reaction and your colourist knows you’re pregnant then it’s down to personal choice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I never did. Just waited, not worth it.

1 Like

Def tell your hair dresser as I have read permanent hair color isn’t always safe and depending on the Color you go with. I’m just paranoid as this is our only chance having our baby and high risk so after doing a lot of reading I have decided not to and embrace the greys for the rest of pregnancy :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

So long as you are in a well ventilated area you are fine. It’s safe!

You’re fine just no bleach near the scalp and if using bleach it needs to be in a well ventilated area so you don’t breathe in the chemicals x

We inhale so many pollutants on a daily basis, the smell of hair color is probably the least of what we should be worrying about :joy::woman_shrugging:
I would have your hairdresser do a skin test to ensure you won’t react to the hair color on your scalp.

3 Likes

I’ve had my hair dyed but foils so it’s not actually touching your scalp.

After 12 weeks. Safer in second trimester

Yes you can. The way my OB explained it was if it was so bad, then hair stylist would not be able to work while pregnant. You are ok!

1 Like

Why die your hair and waste money? You look beautiful natural, why do you need to change how you look.

I did in both my pregnancies. Eldest is almost 4 and youngest is 8 weeks old tomorrow😊

I asked my doctor at 4 months, because I couldn’t stand looking at my rachet hair, and it was a yes. I dye my hair darker because that’s what I prefer. As long as you’re safe with it… should be fine.

Hair color has come a long way. At one point in time, it wasn’t safe to use, due to the chemicals used to make it. But formulas have changed and there are plenty of ammonia free options as well that are usually a safe option. Definitely make sure you’re in a well ventilated area, especially if using bleach.
Also, be sure to talk to your stylist and let them know your concerns. Don’t be afraid to ask what they plan on using, and even ask them to show you. A good stylist will work with you. :heart:

1 Like

I bleached my hair and got my hair done at 10 weeks. Wear ur mask if you don’t want to smell chemicals. And I’ve boxed dyed my hair

Totally did, just used a less harsh bleach and colour so its not as potent!

It’s safe as long as you are in a well ventilated area. Just a heads up though, it doesn’t always turn out the way you want with the hormone changes, sometimes the colour doesn’t take to the hair as well or the colour isn’t exactly the tone you want (not always but can happen).

Color won’t catch as good since you’re pregnant

1 Like

Yes before your third trimester and in a very well ventilated area

Yes with good ventilation, avoid lightener if possible bc your hormones can react with it and could only make it so light

Color might not turn out the same

I dyed my hair but I didnt bleach it because inhaling too much bleach is bad

Yes it’s safe as long as it’s not a full root dye! They say to try to wait until you’re done with your first trimester though. A balayage is completely fine :blush:

Yes, but they say to wait until your in your second trimester (after 12 weeks). Also, make sure you’re in a well ventilated area and you should be fine.

I did the whole time with all 3…never had a problem

1 Like

I did with all 4 of mine throughout each pregnancy. No problems

1 Like

Did both my pregnancies using vegan hair dye. Both kids are healthy.

Yes, I’m 24weeks with my 3rd and I have been having my hair dyed blue every 8 weeks, and this last time I had it partially bleached and dyed blue.

It’s totally fine. If hairdressers can work in a salon 8+ hours a day for their entire pregnancy, you’re fine to get your hair coloured every few weeks.

1 Like

I did but I did not allow the dye to touch my roots.

Yes after 1st trimester but no bleach

Yes you can color your hair, just stay in an open well ventilated area!

Yes you can dye your hair. You can bleach your hair. Just may make you feel nauseous. My OB said 100% safe.

I’m a licensed cosmetologist. It is just fine to color your hair, it won’t hurt you or the baby. However it may turn out a bit off color due to hormones.

Yes you can, just be in a well ventilated area

My midwife and my cosmetologist from my pregnancy back in 2010 both told me hair dye was fine. But neither recommended getting in a tanning bed (not that I planned on it)

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Can you dye your hair while pregnant? - Mamas Uncut

I personally wouldn’t because of hormones changing.

2 Likes

My ob said that it was fine after the first trimester as long as it’s done in a well ventilated area.

My daughter ob said not until after first trimester.

Yes, but ur hair is growing faster & the color may grow out faster.

When I was pregnant with my second I had just died my hair blond(natural brunette) when I asked my doctor she told me I was safe to go back to brown but did not recommend to continue the blonde…she said the lighter you go the more chemicals and the more chance of them getting on your skin…best bet ask your doctor

Yes u can make sure who ever is doing ur hair is aware ur pregnant they might say to wait a few weeks or something and just make sure ur in a well ventilated area while doing it

I always did and didn’t have any issues
However
Sometimes pregnancy will mess with your hair meaning
Sometimes the color won’t take right
The same with perms Sometimes they don’t take well

I always got my hair colored through all 3 pregnancies after 1st trimester

I had a terrible allergic reaction when I was pregnant and am now sensitized to hair die. Never haf any trouble before my pregnancy. Please have the beautician do a skin test to make sure you won’t have a reaction.

1 Like

In your 2nd trimester yes

No. Wait til your 3rd trimester

I did. I was fine. Just made sure it was after the first trimester and made sure the room was well ventilated

As long as you are in a well ventilated area.

I did. With both pregnancies, both babies are very healthy

As long as the room is ventilated, and your doctor says it’s okay. You should be good. But also it might be best to see a professional as well. And to also wait after the first trimester. And do a patch test for allergies, as your body does become sensitive during pregnancy given all the changes it’s going through

Yes absolutely you can

Basically it’s always wait til after your first tri is up. Also, good ventilation.

I always have and I bleach mine. My dr said it was perfectly fine as long as the room was ventilated.

2 Likes

Just have a good ventilated room.

Like everyone else said wait till your second trimester, be in a well ventilated area and as long as the dye doesn’t touch your scalp you’ll be fine :slightly_smiling_face:

I bleached my hair while pregnant

I’m a hairstylist and also have 3 kids of my own. You can most definitely color your hair while pregnant as long as you’re in a very well ventilated space. As long as you’re in a well ventilated area you’re fine because it’s the smell of the coloring that you don’t want to be inhaling whole pregnant because of the ammonia in permanent color

3 Likes

Everyone told me not to and I did and it was fine but there was one streak that changed color. To this day that strand of hair won’t take color! It just stays a blondish color while the rest of my hair is dark.

I did. :woman_shrugging:t3: As long as it is well ventilated and your hairdresser is informed, it’s a-ok.

1 Like

My dr always told me it was fine as long as the area was ventilated good

Yes! I did the same in second trimester.

The hairdresser just didn’t do my daughter’s to the scalp.

I was scared to at first so I waited until I was 26 weeks pregnant and got my hair dyed.

Don’t dye it in the first trimester, wait until after 3 months at the latest… plus no bleaching only regular hair dye… bleach reacts differently, plus don’t always expect the same results as you would get when not pregnant as the pigment doesn’t always hold the colour on your hair when pregnant xx

1 Like

There’s no proven fact that it harms the baby. Just make sure it’s in a well ventilated area due to the chemicals

I was told wait til first trimester is done :slightly_smiling_face:

Asked my midwife, OB and my high risk team and they all told me to make sure the area is well ventilated as inhaling the chemicals is the biggest concern.

After your 12 weeks your good to dye your hair

After your first trimester and in a well ventilated area.

Yes, I’ve been going in every 7 weeks. It’s perfectly fine!

I had my hair bleached and colored thru my entire pregnancy. As long as you’re in a well ventilated area, you and baby will be just fine :slight_smile: go get your hair done mama!

Just remember that the color could be off due to hormone changes but other than that you can. Like others said just make sure it’s a area with ventilation.

1 Like

You can do whatever you want.

I was told after the first trimester

I did when I was pregnant with my 5 kids

I was always told no because most hair salons are not ventilated enough and u smell alot of harmful chemicals and it depends on how u plan 2 do it at home. I dont ever dye my hair but it was a question that came up in my centering group

Not a good idea, you can, but the hormones completely change your hair. It might come out off colour or dry your hair out. I bleached mine when I was pregnant and it was like absolute straw compared to when I wasn’t pregnant and it lightened no problem.

Yes you can, I’m a hairdresser and it’s perfectly safe… just colour can take differently due to hormones

I personally chose not to for a few reasons, but all I’ve ever read was as long as you don’t go all the way to the scalp you’re fine!!

Most doctors recommend not to color the first trimester, and just for an extra precaution, if possible, avoid coloring the roots of your hair or getting color on your scalp :relaxed:

I personally avoid dying altogether; let alone when I’m pregnant. Most hair dye has some pretty nasty and unsafe ingredients in them, such as ingredients linked to breast cancer :pensive: I’ve very cautious of this and pay attention to it since it runs in my family and we lost my grandma 8 years ago to breast cancer. I do whatever I can to minimize my chances and watch what I’m exposed to. My daughter was diagnosed with cancer at 18 months old so we’re extremely careful what what we use and try to limit exposure.

I just highly encourage you to research the ingredients and see what they are linked to. Then make a decision you feel comfortable with. :blush:

I had my hair bleached and it was fine

I was inform by my doctor after 14 weeks …

Really???..… already cannot make sacrifices for your child and you’re only two months along?? Health of baby ?? Of hair to be the way you want it???

Just open a window , you will be fine

Its totally fine. Just know that your hair reacts differently to color when you’re pregnant so it may not come out exactly the same as it normally does.

I go to a professional salon and I got my hair highlighted a few times thru out my pregnancy. I had a conversation with my stylist even before I was pregnant. My stylist said it was safe in a professional salon…stylists don’t stop working because they’re pregnant!! No matter how far along they are…at least in a professional salon

Whatever color u use the babys hair will be that color. Lol

It doesn’t go into your blood stream. Make sure the room is ventilated. You’ll be fine.

I waited until after my 27 week to get my roots redone

I did with all 3, no problems

Wait until after your first trimester is what I was told by my doctor.

I didn’t with my 1st baby but I got mine done this pregnancy at 26 weeks