Could my toddler possibly be learning other languages from youtube?

My son was saying fries for chips :joy::joy: def could be picking other things up. He was doing sign language from mr tumble too

Stop giving your kid open access to YouTube. There’s a lot on there that young children shouldn’t see! M concerned that a young kid is watching these videos and you have no idea until later when you decided to go through the history. I have no problem with kids having access to tablets but adult supervision is necc! Encourage other languages ina way that you can supervise but unless your kid is working on them everyday in real life it’s going to be difficult to keep that knowledge going. You can try finding a tutor for those languages which is way better than youtube. My oldest went through a phase of speaking with an English accent Bc the only shows he’d ever watched were English.

1 Like

My granddaughter is 4 and also watches YouTube and watched it in other languages. She is also getting a bit of an accent and speaking some of the words in other languages!!

Try google translate so when he speaks, it will translate what he is saying

2 Likes

Yes off course my granddaughter was speaking in Chinese . Lol

A 2 year old with freedom on YouTube lol :joy::joy::joy::joy: great idea

Yes, my 2.5 year old does the same thing with her tablet & has learned more songs & games its so awesome. Shes been watching Diana & a few other kids & absolutely loves them.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Could my toddler possibly be learning other languages from youtube? - Mamas Uncut

Yes, although I doubt that they know what the words mean unless the video says a meaning. My grandson taught himself too read at 2 because we use closed captioning on everything, so yes I believe it’s possible.

1 Like

I’ve wondered thw same about my son. He’s 3 and will watch YouTube in different Languages… at that age i assume it’s easier to learn different languages

Yes, children learn different languages very easy. My parents were from Louisiana and spoke French alot. I had to stay with an aunt while mom worked and she couldn’t speak English. I would point and she would say it in French. Got to where I could understand everything they said. I was two when I started staying there.

Children have the ability to speak any language in the world it just depends on what language you teach so yes it is very possible

No two year old should be able to watch YouTube.

1 Like

My nephew at 2 was watching nursery rhymes in other languages on YouTube, so yes they would learn other languages

My kids pick up the accent from other kids. Vlad and nikita have a strong accent so for the longest time I couldn’t figure out some of their words. Then I watched vlad and nikita and was like omg that’s what they are saying.lol

Lol mine sounds like she’s speaking mandarin. She told Alexa something on her tablet and fung fu robot came up one time

Peppa pig is causing my granddaughter to have a British accent :joy::joy:

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Could my toddler possibly be learning other languages from youtube? - Mamas Uncut

It’s definitely possible. My 2yo speaks mandarin and English. He’s started picking up Japanese watching Ghibli movies.

It’s possible my little girl speaks both English and Arabic her dad is from Egypt and she watches different languages on YouTube and says them I watch them with her so Ino what she is watching xx

I speak some Japanese what’s he saying then I can let you know if it’s Japanese or not

How about you stop him watching whatever he wants without you knowing what he’s watching. Put things on he can learn from an understand

2 Likes

Sorry but no 2 year old child should have their own tablet

8 Likes

Kids do pick up on what they watch… mine doesn’t speak a different language but she will always ask me for candy, she never uses the words sweets and shes got that from YouTube lol x

Probably but also young kids can learn languages so much easier than later in life so encourage this if it is what a useful skill to have started young!

My daughter is 4 loves American crap on you tube. A is for Adley appears to be a firm fav. But she now says things like dollars instead of pounds :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.he cud be he is picking up things.
Or cud be a speech delay. Hard to say unless u go see someone saying u think he has a speech delay and see what they say I guess xx

1 Like

You absolutely should be filtering and present when your child is watching videos online especially at 2 years old …
Not me being parent of the year trust me I’m not and I use YouTube and TV alot but I’m 100% aware what my kids watch and don’t have any worries they maybe watching something weird !

My son, in preschool, had a friend with parents that spoke Russian. The teachers couldn’t understand him and had them both in therapy, then we discovered my son could translate to English but both spoke some Russian. It was hilarious.

My 2 year old niece sings a song in Portuguese, And when she sometimes talks it sounds like she is speaking a different language.! Wanda Roush Bobby Roush :slightly_smiling_face::woman_shrugging::heart:

1 Like

Yes it’s very possible ! Kids learn from they see and hear . "Dora the explorer " first taught my daughter some Spanish …

Yup. My son has started learning atleast 5 languages with YouTube it’s very intersting. He come out out telling us a full story in another language and we are like “ummm ok cool”

My son learned the alphabet in sign language on YouTube! He was 3 at the time, and he’s 5 now. He’s self taught and knows some phrases and words.

Because of him, I’m learning ESL too! Also, there is nothing wrong with giving your child a tablet, it’s all about monitoring them as we parents should!