Did anyone have a traumatic c seciton?

Did anyone else have a traumatic c-section? I did it twice. First one was traumatic. Janesville’s hospital in Wisconsin is horrible. I passed out trying to go pee and the nurse tried playing it off as no big deal. I came to seeing my 2 year old crying because he witnessed the whole thing. Luckily Monroe hospital listened to my concerns regarding that. My second c-section was much easier. Fuck Janesville. They also kept changing the date of my c-section and my husband almost couldn’t be there. They were really mean during my c-section telling me that if I didn’t calm down they couldn’t allow my husband to be in the room. When I get a c-section I get a weird pain in my right shoulder. I realized I had to turn my head that way to stop that pain but having my husband there to support me meant the world to me. Janesville can fuck themselves. I almost didn’t have another baby because of them. Hubby and I want another baby but I’m scared because we live in a different area. I trusted the hospital in our previous area but don’t know anything about the hospital in this city. I really don’t want to have the same experience as the first c-section. What can I do to ensure a safe birth?

45 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Did anyone have a traumatic c seciton? - Mamas Uncut

Mine was tramatic in that I was only 36 weeks and it was an emergency C-section. Other then that the OR team was phenomenal

Mine was awful with my twins…and I’m nervous for the one I’m having in 8 weeks…it has definitely got me scared. And it’s the same hospital :frowning:

I’m from WI, and I’ve heard of that hospital being terrible. What area are you in?

Find a vbac friendly Dr in ur area and have a vbac

1 Like

Sometimes they have to change the dates depending how full they are, they were mean because you wouldn’t calm down ? I don’t get it , why where you not calm ?? Of your moving and stuff it can be very dangerous for you…. I think you just need to calm down

7 Likes

Go around and actually look at the hospitals and get a feel for them talk to a couple of the staff members and see which one you like best

1 Like

I had an emergency c section my daughter was born 3 months early. 4 days later I started bleeding from my incision I had a blood clot. 3 years later I needed to have a c section with my baby I was nervous but it went great

My csection came out of nowhere, my water broke went to the hospital and four hours later with every contraction I was bleeding a pad that’s on the bed under you full of clots, and my contractions were every 2 minutes, I passed out and baby’s heartbeat started dropping, not enough time for an epidural, me and her almost died my fiancé didn’t know what was going on for like 2 hours. I was only 19 when all this happened, it was really bad.

4 c sections here! 1st very traumatic. 2 epidurals, patosin, 27 hours of labor, pushed for 5 hours…ended with a section. Next 3 were a breeze!

With my first I did I felt the pain cuz my Dr had started before the spinal fully took effect

My first one in 2005 went great, my second one in 2015 didn’t at all. Instead of cutting more, the dr yanked and tore 2 inches on my stomach. Then, bled soooo bad afterwards, to the point I’d pass out. I was told this was normal. It wasn’t until a month after my c-section, I started to hemorrhage and I passed my placenta on my sisters bathroom floor!! He not only left all the afterbirth inside me, he also nicked an artery and didn’t fix it and that’s why I was bleeding so bad and passing massive clots. I went in to have a D&C and I wouldn’t stop bleeding so they had to reopen my c-section wound to find my uterus was so filled with mrsa that part of my bowel was infused to it. I had to have a hysterectomy :pensive:

8 Likes

Janesville gross lol… idk where you are now but I had an amazing experience at Oconomowoc!

You can see if you can do a VBAC. I had a VBA2C, and it was a great experience

2 Likes

With my first born i had to have emergency c section. By time they took me back, my epidural wore off and i felt them slicing me open, i was screaming on top of my lungs until they knocked me out with IV meds. Very very traumatic for me, and my family could hear me screaming and my sons father almost passed out, he thought i died. Luckily my second and third scheduled c section went smoothly. Second time around they gave me versed to calm my nerves but i barely remember her birth. Third baby they told me that the versed may make me forget the first look as they took her out, so opted out of the versed. I remember the whole process and it was great. Just mention your concerns to dr and again day of c section. After my c section or any surgeries i get very bad gas pains in shoulders. I recommend having gas x and taking it at prescribed. If your partner is with you, ask for a massage to help move the gas up their. I hope your delivery goes much better this time round.

Shoulder pain believe it or not is gas! Anesthesia causes it.

3 Likes

My first was traumatic cause it was an emergency at 39 weeks when my sons heartbeat was going down at my checkup. I had to rush to the hospital and literally had 6 nurses working over me prepping me for surgery. He was born within an hour of me arriving at my doctors office.
My second went a lot smoother mostly because it was planned so we knew what to expect going into it. And I’ll be having my third 2 weeks from today and I expect it’ll go fine as well. The only bad thing about the subsequent surgeries for me is that the recovery is harder because you have more kids to still take care of in addition to the newborn. So you don’t get to just sit and relax as much as you did the first time around

Try to get a woman doctor they will take care of u better, my frst was a male and he was rough my recovery took forever while the 2nd c - section went really well it was woman doctor next morning i got up on my own and started walking i couldn’t belive how good i felt she was great , my friend had the baby by same doctor the same week and she felt the same .

A non-traumatic C-section happens not very often. Just having a c-section is kind of a traumatic event in our brain. As far as the shoulder pain that is common with any abdominal surgery, as opening you up allows air in and they can’t take a vacuum to suck it all out. Since we sit up the air rises up to the shoulder area and then the body slowly reabsorbs it. Most women don’t want to be totally in this size for the birth so they want to stay awake. It really is impossible for them to stop all pressure and pain without knocking you all the way out. That’s a choice that we make.

As far as what you can do, you can talk to your doctor but there’s no guarantee you can have a safe birth when they’re doing an invasive procedure. Find a doctor who will listen to you about your past experience and listen to what they have to say. That will tell you whether they understand and will try to avoid anything that will cause trauma or whether they just don’t care

Yes first was terrible. Scheduled a csection for the next child. I couldn’t go through that again

Everyone gets that pain in the shoulder, you should take colice right after surgery ans stay up on it, it’s a gas pain .

Yes. I was going to do natural with my second. I delivered the sac and fluid but no baby. Then he went into fetal distress. They rushed me to the er for an emergency c section. Didn’t get a chance to tell them anesthesia makes me projectile vomit. A lot. Hosed pretty much every one in there. Baby was born with a heart defect. But he’s fine now.

1 Like

Maybe use a different hospital. Talk to your Doctor about what happened. If anything happens again talk with administration. Also get ahold of American Hospital association and let them know

I did. It was awful. My first the epidural came out during the surgery. They cut me while j was not numb. I literally died for a minute. My heart stopped and eyes rolled and I foamed at the mouth. My husband was in the room when it happened.

1 Like

I had a c section with my oldest. It was awful. The nurses were awful except one. It was a shit show. I decided I didn’t want to go through that again with my 2nd. I had to switch doctors 3 times just to find one that would let me try a vbac. Finally found one and I was able to do it. Also went to a different hospital but the whole experience was so much better than the first time. I wish I would have realized the first time that I did have a choice. That I could say no to things I didn’t want to do.

Yeah I got that shoulder pain also, it’s gas I think. I told my anesthesiologist and he tilted the table a certain way and it helped relieve the pain. Maybe you can talk to your doctor and if you like your doctor maybe you can visit the hospital.

1 Like

I had the same chest pain during my c-sec. The dr said when they raised the placenta above the heart it causes it. My third baby my husband made the dr knock me out after she was born. I woke up to a foreign dr telling me my daughter was in the nicu with issues. I couldn’t understand what he was telling me because of a language barrier and the fact that I was told she was healthy when I was awake. I was not happy with my husband for making the decision to knock me out. He said he couldn’t handle me in pain. Good thing I didn’t have the kids naturally. He would have passed out

I went in the night before to get induced and apparently his heart stopped…so i stayed the night and the next night i had the c section…The freezing didnt work so they had to put me under as i was crying for kids dad (they wouldnt let him in the room)…then i woke up halfway thro (the person was new) and all i remember is pain…then waking up still crying. I never wanna be put under again!

Yup. My son’s heart rate dropped, and they had they had him out in 8 minutes. They had to assist him in breathing and we spent 11 days in the NICU.

Get a midwife or doulla.

You can go online and read up on all the hospitals in the area. You can see their national rankings, morbidity and mortality, and actual patient reviews.
You can also ask on your local “Next Door” for recommendations from other moms in your area.
Talk to your new OB (if you have one) and share this experience and ask for her for her recommendation.
Lastly, please consider getting a therapist to help you process and hopefully heal from, your traumatic experience. Maybe you’re a candidate for VBAC, and you won’t have to go through another cesarian.
Good luck mama, I hope you get everything you need.

My first c section, I was a single mom. My best friend was there for me as much as she could with her schedule, and my mom was watching my 2 other babies. The surgery itself was fine, I felt better than I thought I would. Thank the higher beings because the nurses treated me like poop. They’d push the baby in just out of reach so I’d have to get up to get her (everything they brought her back to the room). Fine, getting up and moving helped me heal. They let me shower alone about 36 hours after surgery. They refused to take the baby to the nursery. I passed out and grabbed the cord on the way down. I remember coming to then passing out again as one nurse said let’s get her on the bed, qnd my nurse yelled he’ll no! I just changed her sheets!!! Like me being wet from the shower was going to do aomething. I only realized after having my 3nd c section 4.5 years later (same hospital, same room!) How nice they were and willing to help now that I had a baby daddy with me :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2/3 were, all 3 of mine were emergency c-section’s. First one I was in labor for 33 hours. They took 7 tries to give me an epidural and blood was shooting out everywhere. Then gave me a block as well. During surgery she cut my bowel twice. Had to remove and wrap my organ’s. Second one I had a placental abruption two months before I was due. That one was a mess too because she couldn’t get my son out because of all my scar tissue.

I had my son at frodert in wauwatosa/Milwaukee. I was high risk due to fused spine from neck to tailbone and 3 heart conditions and a partially crushed lung so I needed a huge team. They were amazing. I live up by green bay ans drove there every week and every 2 weeks for the best care. I had a team and so did my unborn son. We had our own teams. They listened to EVERYTHING I wanted needed and was concerned about. They needed a line in my arm to my heart vut they couldnt get it due to the main veun in my arm having been removed in infancy to feed blood from my heart to my brain so they just put me under which was okay because local anesthetics have never worked on me I would have been awake freakibg out thru the whole thing. Only issue is it was a long weekend so I got the weekend staff and my blood wasn’t going up I was becoming anemic ans they didnt want to give me a transfusion. They had me wait 36hrs and I signed out AMA and they called CPS on me abd when I explained the them what was going on they made the Drs give me the blood. I arrived there 6am on October 31st had my son at noon and was driving home at 1am November 2nd. In a snowstorm. It anything go talk to clinics and Drs but don’t attack just explain u woukd like another but here are your concerns from a previous experience…but honestly frodert is amazing!! Even now almost 9 years later I still go thete for check ups becauae of how great they were and canned my other Drs.

If you can, talk to women in your area. If you don’t know anyone yet maybe join a Facebook group full of locals. That should give you a feel for the area and what hospital has a good reputation. Good luck!

My first was horrible. It was an emergency C-section due to preeclampsia. My second was horrible only because my normal doc wasn’t in town! But the pain in your shoulder is air that gets trapped it’s soooooo painful. I’m sorry you had to go through that but my third was a breeze. I’d definitely express your concern to your doc. If he doesn’t care find one that does. Side note…c sections are high risk surgery. But they have come a long way. There is a video on YouTube you can watch (they show it with cloth) of all the layers they cut. Maybe if you know what their doing might put your mind at ease?? It’s okay to nervous and picky when choosing who brings your little miracle into this world.

My first was traumatic. Emergency and the epidural didn’t work so I felt them start to cut me so they knocked me out. Woke up in the dark and alone with no baby or baby belly. All I remembered was massive amounts of pain and them saying me and my baby were going to die if they didn’t get him out. I was terrified to have my second bc I knew it would be a scheduled section to avoid the same complications as my first. But they gave me a spinal and I couldn’t move and things went smoothly until recovery. My incision wasn’t closed properly and I was discharged early. But my third and fourth sections were amazing other than one nurse who blew my vein three times bc she couldn’t put in an IV :roll_eyes: BUT Painless surgery and quick recovery. That also had to do with me having a different partner than with my first two who helped during surgery and did a lot during recovery too.
Advice, get to know their procedures and staff before going.

1 Like

My daughter had an emergency c section having her son and was not numb! She screamed her head off and when her husband came to the waiting room with the surgeon chasing him,I knew something went horribly wrong! They drugged her so she didn’t remember it but the whole event was traumatizing!

1 Like

which one in Janesville, dean st marys was great for my first though we did switch to Dean’s marys Madison for our second

Start researching the new hospital

My first c section was set up for 36.5 weeks, when I was 10 weeks pregnant. Lots of planning. Lots of ultra sounds. Lots of fear. Was set for 6:00am arrival. I got lost in the riding the elevator down three floors crossing the floor to another set of elevators and going up to the fifth floor. It wasn’t until another patient who seen me come out of the elevator on the wrong fifth floor looking confused as to my location, and he filled me in, then I found my way. Why would I know that. No one told me. I showed up at 6:08. The nurse checking me in to my room and putting IV in chewed on me and made me cry immediately. She made a comment about what kind of mom am I going to be blah blah blah. Thankfully my mom was there with me and she went full mom mode on her. That nurse wasn’t allowed in the same room as me or my son and wasn’t allowed to speak to any of my family. Didn’t have a problem after that. My son was a high risk pregnancy. To the point a surgeon was flown in for the c section and the four hour surgery (suppose to be two 8 hour surgeries) needed on my son when he was four hours old. Second one. After recovery I arrived to my room with another woman holding my son. Before I ever did. I freaked out so bad that they closed down the floor to visitors unless pre-approved by patients and shut all the viewing windows in the nursery. Yeah. The other woman was my now ex husbands first baby mamma. But seriously. After I came to my senses and realized it was his fault and not that of the staff I spoke to them and apologized and they still kept the viewing area closed and kept my privacy private. That one was a husband problem not a hospital problem. In fact the entire floor of moms having Babies supported me and came in to speak to me. By time our five night stay was done we were all on first name basis. Go in ahead of time and meet and talk to the staff of the hospital you are having or planning on having your next kiddo at. More then likely most of them are moms and dads and will totally understand your concerns. I had leg pain so severe I thought I was dying, not shoulder pain. Yeah it sucks. But when I look at my sons. Worth it!!! Just speak to the staff. Get to know them and let them know what your worries are. Anyone who doesn’t understand doesn’t need to be working with babies and baby mammas. Cuz we can get a little protective and a little emotional. For very real or made up reasons.

Yes I did nearly 45 years ago with my first baby . I was a single mum and back then you got looked down on if you were not married and pregnant and you were definitely treated differently to the married mums . I was 18 and my then doctor let me have a 10 month pregnancy! Then I was induced and in a private catholic hospital where they put my legs up in stirrups stretching my legs wide open . I was embarrassed and the nurse told me well, you obviously weren’t too embarrassed to let yourself fall pregnant ! They allowed my labor to go on for too long and ignored my gynaecologist when he wanted to get his senior gynaecologist into the hospital. I sensed something was wrong . Then the nurse told me my baby was dead ! My whole world shattered when I heard those words and I went into shock . My senior gynaecologist went off at that nurse for saying anything like that to me , I was then rushed off to have an emergency c section. I have no idea why but when I woke up , my first question was what time is it ? The young nun told me the time and congratulating me on having a beautiful healthy baby boy ! I said no the other nurse told me my baby was dead and the nun gently told me that with the fight I kicked up in theatre about saving the baby first and myself second and they could not knock me out until I had their word that they would look after the baby first before myself and the young nun said you have a very strong mind because no anaesthetic worked on me until I had their word as I figured I’d had 18 good years on this earth my baby deserved at least that ! I had no memory of that and a few days later and dying to have my best friend in to meet my son . I had felt sick and chilly for about 48 hours and that lovely young nun was keeping a close eye on me but I was not aware of how sick I was because I was so so happy that my beautiful baby boy had lived and was healthy in every way and so beautiful so, I closed my curtains so that no one could notice how sick I felt because of excitement of my best friend meeting my son . The young nun must have noticed my curtains shut and came in to check in me but I was unconscious ! I woke up a few days later well, that’s what it felt like to me and the lovely young nun told me I had nearly died from blood poisoning . I had no idea so for a young woman of that age I would say that experience was traumatic for me especially being told my baby was dead but Thank God he wasn’t and I have had 2 other children since but traumatic as that day was I still call it the happiest day of my life and I never ever had one regret in having my son so young , I found adjusting to a baby in my life much easier then than I did with my other 2 babies :baby:

My first c section they cut my sons face. My second was a nightmare and took close to 2 hours and left with bruises on my ribs.

Both were nightmares.

Only advice I have is asked to be glued and not stitched outside. Less painful recovery

Nah, it was easy peasy for me. I think it really depends on the hospital.

I had a crash c section which accounts for like 3% total that are legit last second emergencies. Yay me :roll_eyes::expressionless:. My baby and I had to both be resuscitated so yes.

My first was an emergency C-section at 9 1/2 cm because of the cord wrapping around the neck. I don’t know how many times I told the nurses and my doctor I could feel my entire right side even with the epidural, so while waiting the nurses only propped me up with pillows (which worked) until I had to be laid flat for the C-section and then I got pumped full of morphine while crying my eyes out from pain and being told it’s almost done. I could feel every cut and pull and even the test pinch before they started. I’m just glad I’m not addicted to drugs but it was so hard on my body an infection flared up so bad I was back in the hospital the following weekend which didn’t help my postpartum because I was so close to dying from infection. Like I just became a mom and I was so close to loosing it all if I hadn’t been pumped full of antibiotics.

1 Like

I am sorry you had to go through that.

1 Like

My csection wasn’t traumatic at all except my blood pressure kept bottoming out which would make me nauseated so they had to keep pushing some kind of meds to bring it back up.

1 Like

Get to know the doctor well. Delivery dr. Maybe even tour the hospital birth floor.

1 Like

I am sorry, i had s traumatic first one, i was ready to give birth, but rushed into c section bc of the cord wrapped around neck…I watched it all in the lights reflection above me… traumatizing… but I definitely am praying for you and your family :pray:t2::heart: I wanted to tour the hospital but my hubby thought I was being :upside_down_face:

My second one… the stitches ripped open when they had me get up to walk for the first time… 4 days later it was infected …

I had a vaginal birth with my first, so was really surprised when I kept telling my Dr offices mid wife that my baby still felt feet first after she assured me that he was in position, head down. Finally had an appointment and got to talk to my Dr two weeks before my due date, he felt my belly said he in fact DID feel feet first so scheduled an ultrasound. Found out two weeks before due date that I was right and my son was frank breech. They said i had two options, schedule a C-section or schedule a version AND a C-section (in case version didn’t work) to try to get him into position. I was terrified of getting a C-section and definitely wasn’t expecting to have to have one. I opted for the version as I was more afraid of the C-section. Got to the hospital a week before my due date they did the version, twice, and my boy did turn, but ended up getting stuck on my pelvic bone and couldn’t be turned any more, so they took me back for the scheduled c section an hour later. That part was really scary, but honestly, wasn’t as bad as I worked myself up for it to be. The worst part for me was recovery. There was only one nurse who didn’t treat me like garbage. They didn’t help me go to the bathroom, they didn’t help me up and down, they didn’t help me with my first shower or, honestly, anything at all. I had no help. I showered for the first time myself, barely able to stand up straight it hurt so badly to raise my arms high to wash my hair and stuff that I just sat on the chair in the shower bawling my eyes out because I didn’t know what I could do to make it better for me to at least be able to shower. They gave me no pain meds, except one medication a step above Tylenol and when I would ask for it (when it was time for another dose) they would give me snarky attitude and wait hours to come back to give it to me, if they even bothered to come back at all. Plus, it was the first time ever that my two year old boy had been away from me, so i was miserable about that too, I missed him so much and was only able to see him once in person the whole week I was in the hospital, the rest was just video chats. i had never felt so small in my entire life than I did when I was in the hospital for a week after giving birth to both of my boys, with my second boy, I cried every single night because I wanted to just take my newborn and go home. It was the worst experience of my life.

Is there a specific reason you HAVE TO have a c-section? Just because you have one doesn’t mean you have to again. My 4th baby was a c-section due to her being breech. My 5th (and final) child was 3 years later and a vag-birth.
They tried telling me I had to have one for last child, but I kept calling around asking if I had to. I found a midwife who told me not unless needed. Check around honey…

I had emergency and they put my head down bed pan under rear while the nurse pulled on cord to get pressure off but no pulse on fetus. He was out in 3 minutes. The pediatrician was over me when I was gassed. The ob did make it in time. He was in his 70’s and I was his fastest c-section ever. He survived with no problems.
Next c section was scheduled because baby girl was sideways and wouldn’t turn. I carried her so high that I couldn’t get bent over very much for the epidural. After they got her out I was paralyzed from the neck down had trouble breathing they put me to sleep and when I finally woke up I could move again. Third c section tried vaginal birth but labored for 36 hours. He was over 9# so he was too big. I ended up ruptured in my uterus and it was just as the surgery started so my son was actually nicked by the eye by the scalpel . Then on top of that they found a tumor and had to remove my ovary. My first two vaginal birth weren’t much better first son had cord around neck they used forceps he had to have oxygen for a couple days. Second son was too big over 9# my contractions stopped when his head was crowning. The nurse and my husband pushed as hard as they could on my belly just to try and get my son out and he ended up with brain damage and I was torn and required surgery. 5 births all were traumatic hubs had vasectomy after number 2 son then reversed 8 years later had 3 more kids then I had the tumor and a tubal so we thought we were done but 9 years later we adopted two boys made a total of 6 boys and 1 girl. It was worth it. Births were rough but it doesn’t matter now. Have another baby trust God to take care of you.

I had 2 traumatic c sections but for medical reasons. I attempted VBAC with my daughter and while pushing I felt a burning, ripping pain. I had an incomplete uterine rupture.

With my third, I was hemorrhaging, baby came out blue and listless. His cry sounded like he was under water and he had to be taken to NICU. All my babies are safe and healthy now, thank God!

1 Like

uhhmm…so they were being ‘mean’ its standard cause if u didn they were gonna put u to sleep and if ur asleep no one.allowed in.

check into the hospital ud deliver at and what dr ect.

I’ve had 2 no problems

I’m near-ish you! Tomah… if your able to travel that far or even contemplate moving, my doctor was by far the best I’ve had. Hands down! Robert A. Holness, MD. Dr. Robert A. Holness, MD - Tomah, WI - Obstetrics and Gynecology I had SO many problems during my pregnancy and kept going into preterm… he would calm me, make me laugh, and in the end he helped with my c-section greatly. I didn’t have any complications and he was always careful to do checks often. Also took stock on any complaints/worries you had/have.

I know you asked about c-sections and had a terrible time but if you have to have another, I wanted to give you a name that you could trust! He works in Tomah, Sparta, Friendship, and Hillsboro.