Do aunts have legal rights to see their nephews?

My sister and I have never gotten along. I moved out of home eight years ago; I haven’t spoken to her for over a year and a half. We had a fight when I was 16 weeks pregnant. She threatened and tried to assault me; she said: “I hope you miscarry, and I’ll try to make it happen, and if you don’t, I’m coming after your baby.” Hubby stood in between us and told her off, and my parents didn’t try to tell her to back down. My son is now 17 months he has never meet my side of the family because of a disagreement that extended from that incident. She recently contacted me and asked to see my son, and I told her I don’t feel comfortable with that after what happened. She told me she would take me to court for Aunty’s rights. (Is that even a thing? ) Hubby said there’s no such thing, but as someone with anxiety, I’m a little worried. I don’t want the stress of it all. We have enough going on atm. Please tell me she is full of shit. I don’t want her in my life. What I wrote above is only part of the reason it gets worse; she is not a nice person.

65 Likes

I’ve never heard of that. You should Google it.

Nope. Your sister is full of crap! And good for you for protecting your child from all that drama. No way would she ever lay eyes on my kid! And I mean NEVER!

9 Likes

No, especially if there is no significant relationship between your son and sister. Now grandparent rights, that exists.

3 Likes

No, just an aunt so know rights at all. No grandparents rights either.

No that is not a thing! They have grandparents rights but not that! Lmao ignore her

1 Like

No. Grandparents rights, that is a thing though

1 Like

i googled it and it said in cali they can have rights of visitation. so i would think its a state basis.

1 Like

In Ontario aunts and uncles don’t have rights but grandparents do. Alittle google search will ease your mind :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s not a thing. & even if it was, after the court hears what she did, and having a witness they wouldn’t allow that. Tell her to shove it

6 Likes

There is grandparents rights but not aunt or uncle rights that I’ve heard of . But it depends where you are because each state or province may have different standards

No. She might harm your baby she already tried to harm you so you will miscarry. That’s a scary thought.

2 Likes

There is no “aunt rights”. Some states have Grandparents rights, and to get those is has to be an extreme case, where they were super involved with the child- like daily-for years and are now being denied visitation. From what you posted, that wouldn’t be granted in your case. A court will not force parents to involve their family in their life.

5 Likes

What child needs an aunt like that. I would protect my baby at all cost You better with her out of your life too she sounds nasty Never heard of Aunties rights. Grandparents Yes

Google search could have answered this🤷‍♀️

I would never allow someone around my baby if I didn’t feel comfortable with it. Period.

2 Likes

No… and some people think there is a grandparents right too… there is not unless the grand parents can prove they have been a significant role on the child’s life (raise kid from nb-4 or something like that).

1 Like

Not in NC at least. I just googled it ha

There is a thing… its similar to grandparents rights. But with the toxic history I highly doubt a judge will enforce such a thing in your situation being as the Aunt adds nothing of benefit to said child.

I’m sorry for everything your going through. As an almost new mom myself. You have every right to keep anyone from your child. Especially if they’re drama filled and toxic

Nope and after what happened they wouldn’t allow her to see your baby. Shame on her but don’t even respond to her.

Definitely not a thing especially since she has never had a relationship with your son
Just laugh and say “see you in court”

2 Likes

She’s full of shit, for sure. There’s grandparent rights, but they have to prove you unfit for them to get those (as far as I know, anyway). You’re safe. I wouldn’t even worry about it!

She’s full of shit!! No such thing. Some states don’t even recognize Grandparents rights.

Get a restraining order. Problem solved.

3 Likes

No such thing as aunt rights I agree with everyone else tell her to shove it and keep protecting your little baby… I would never trust anyone that would say or do such hateful things!!

1 Like

Aunti rights ? :joy: she still sounds unstable lol

1 Like

I’m just going to say you should have changed your number and blocked her. If you do talk to her again do not mention there is such a thing as grandparents rights just say as little info as possible. Tell her she’s wrong and drop it, block them all… besides I’m sure it’s just a threat, I’d like to see her go file all the paperwork :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Shes full of it. Even with Grandparents Rights, most times the judge leaves the discretion up to the custodial parent, & asks why the child is not involved with the other party. If the reason is valid, they side with the parent.
That is your child & you get to decide who is in their lives, beyond the other parent. & if people dont like it, too bad, they should have thought of that before acting foolish~

Wait till the child is older and reach out. Stay relevant though, send gifts and cards

That is complete crap!! There’s no such thing and that exactly why she shouldn’t be in yalls lives!! Toxic, toxic, toxic!!

bahaha shame on her :man_facepalming: absolutely no such thing!

the only rights she would even remotely be allowed to have would be if she had been the baby’s primary caregiver for a considerable period of time … . she’s full of sh!t so just keep on ignoring her and just focus on your little family

1 Like

Nope not a thing! Get a restraining order

7 Likes

Even if she did have rights in any state( which i doubt) with her history she shouldn’t have any rights.

Oh my gosh she is such an abuser there is no such thing as antes right oh, what an idiot! And stop taking her calls or Communications. If anybody passes along her messages you need to tell them that they have to stop or you’ll cut off communication with them. She’s going to either abused you directly or by proxy, through family members or Lord forbid your child. She has no teeth, ignore her

Make a police report. Document this. Sounds like she would do anything to harm you or baby. You need to have the law aware and on your side

3 Likes

That just proves shes toxic. I’d never have anything to do with her ever.

Your fine don’t worry bout it she has no rights and you have every right to protect your child

Yes, she has NO rights.

1 Like

It sounds like she is manipulating you. I don’t think what she is threatening is possible. Many states don’t even have Grandparents rights laws on the books, so Aunties who have never seen a child, much less have a priven track record of damaging behavior, I would think, wouldn’t even stand a chance. Tell her to leave you alone and if she persists, seek out an order of protection for you and your family. She should have no rights here. Especially since you clearly feel she is dangerous to be around and she has already made threats.

4 Likes

Sounds like the hand that rocks the cradle of you ask me

She’s toxic and shouldn’t be anywhere near your baby

1 Like

You need to know you and your son are safe. Praying for her to get the help she needs.

She’s very full of shit. Grandparent’s Rights are a thing under very few circumstances, but Aunt’s Rights are absolute bullshit

Theres no such thing. No court or judge will take her seriously.

No such thing. Tell her to go suck a turd

7 Likes

Even if it was a thi g she tried to assault pregnant you and said shed come after your baby… fuck that bitch

There is no such thing as aunts rights. My ex husbands family tried taking me to court for grandparents rights to see my daughter two years ago when there’s no such thing of that either…

1 Like

It is absolutely not a thing. I had something similar happen. My daughter’s father recently lost his parental rights. His mother, without contacting me flew to the courthouse (yes on her broom :woman_mage:t4::joy:) and filed for GUARDIANSHIP. Apparently anyone can go to a courthouse, pay a fee and demand a hearing. (In Illinois anyway…). She didn’t have a leg to stand on, the judge was extremely aggravated with her and ordered her to pay my attorney fees.

Just don’t worry if you are served papers. Show up and get it over with. It is definitely stressful and interrupts your life, but hopefully should she actually file something, it will all get thrown back in her face.

5 Likes

Im in ontario and As far as I know anyone who is blood related or not related but has been in childs life can petition for access. But with what you said she did and your husband being witness I doubt a court would allow it.

4 Likes

Pardon my French… But what a physo bitch!! Definitely make a police report or something, get a restraining order for your kid, she needs to be told legally to stay away.

She’s trying to scare you girl. F her! Don’t let that worry you. There is NO SUCH RIGHTS. shes definitely full of shit

No such thing. Don’t worry mama.

1 Like

I would not let my child be around someone like that!

1 Like

Theres no such thing. Shes just butthurt because you put your foot down. Tell her to go suck a horse dick.

2 Likes

Oh heck no. .I wouldn’t even let her know where you live and would change phone number or block hers…

2 Likes

There isnt. Unless she has thousands to throw away I wouldn’t worry about it. Plus she tried to kill the child before it was born. Court will say no. Dont give her free rent in your head! Tell her fuck off and plan to avoid her at all costs. Be safer for your child

Yeah sounds like a very tonix person. But rest easy momma…never heard of “aunty rights”.

1 Like

Absolutely no such thing. Even if there was, with her history would stop that.

1 Like

She has no rights, she threatened BOTH you and your baby, she’s mentally ill. Keep all threatening messages and texts and if she continues get a restraining order on her.

1 Like

No such thing as “aunty rights”. If she did try to take u to court, 1st of all they would probably laugh her out of the courtroom. 2nd, if u had any physical proof of that incident, you would probably be able to get a restraining order against her.

1 Like

Protect your child at all cost. She did threaten the baby.

2 Likes

Nope aunts have no rights at all! Now say that something happened to you or your husband, some states have laws about grandparents rights…so heaven forbid your spouse passes away, his parents could petition the courts in some states for grandparents rights and have like one weekend a month visitation. Aunts or other family members do not have that option, unless they can prove a parent unfit and then try to get custody from the state…but that is a whole different ball of worms and not something you typically have to worry about

1 Like

No such thing. Don’t worry

1 Like

There is no such thing but get a restraining order against her.

2 Likes

Your duty is to protect your child.

1 Like

No that’s not a real thing and I would tell her that if she tries to pressure you again that you would be getting a restraining order on her.

1 Like

No… I’m some states grandparents can get rights to see their grandchildren and that is in very few states. Aunts? No that is not a thing at all

She has NO legal rights, protect your child at all cost…

No it’s not a thing shes dumb

Get a restraining order.

Grandparents rights is only if the parents are unfit.

No such thing. You’re doing the right thing. She sounds off her rocker. Protect your baby! You are doing a great job!

2 Likes

There’s legally not even Grandparents rights, much less aunt’s rights!! Call her BS and tell her to call her lawyer!! LOL!!!

2 Likes

As a mother you need to to everything you can to keep her away from your baby. She sounds like bad news. Luckily for you there isn’t such thing as Aunt’s rights. The only way she would be able to do anything is if the child is in a bad environment and in sure they aren’t. Get a restraining order if you feel the need. She threatened that baby before they were even born, I dont see why she would want anything to do with the child in the 1st place. Best of luck

I’d be blocking her and if she contacts you again get a restraining order toxic is toxic

1 Like

Grandparent rights are a thing its jusr for visitation rights and hard to get lmao aunty rights domt exist.

Nothing she can do!!!

Change your # get a restraining order

1 Like

Lmfao, no there are no such rights. :joy:

Some families are ti toxic for us, you do what you feel is right for you and your sanity, Ivr done this with many family members, living a peaceful night!!

Just No…
Common sense to keep a child away from a potential threat…
Aunt or not!
Simple as that.

1 Like

Nope, she is full of shit. Your gut is telling you she isn’t a trustworthy person to bring around your baby, your family seems to condone her behavior. You have your own family now and that’s what you should focus on. Fuck your sister. I have beat the shit out of my sister’s for less. So ultimately it comes down to how you feel about a crazy person being around you and your baby and husband… Personally she would be completely cut off for the rest of her life… But that’s just me…

Girl, my younger sister (from my dads side) said the exact thing to me . I cut her off completely and i told my father that when i go visit them in Cali next year that i will not stay there with them after she threatened me and my unborn child. He agreed with me and she literally will be out of his house by then. You need to explain to them that they are a danger to you and your child. If they do not understand that. FAMILY CAN BE TOXIC TOO. Dont let they play that “family card” because the family you have right now would try to protect you instead of putting you in any danger .

4 Likes

Honey she is full of shit… Theres no such thing as auntys rights. Thats stupid. I understand completely what you’re going through. You can forgive a person and still nevet have anything to do with them. I would never let her around my child. She’ll think twice the next time she opens her mouth with such meanness. Good luck.

Dont worry about her, enjoy your life & keep all toxic people far away from you & your child

4 Likes

No such thing. Get a restraining order hon

2 Likes

I would try to mend it though.She is your sister.Theres nothing like being an aunt and I feel bad she doesnt get that but if she is a danger to your child then thats a different story.Good luck with it all💕

There is NO such thing :joy::joy::joy: the most toxic people are usually your family . Your doing the right thing. Don’t talk to them don’t answer back . Most states don’t even have grandparents rights anymore . Then even then they would have to prove they have a relationship with the child . Keep them away

1 Like

She’s crazy, block her and any other toxic family members.

2 Likes

Family or not, toxic is toxic! No such thing and she can try all she wants, it’s your kid!

1 Like

She has zero rights to your kid.

1 Like

She is full of shit. Go to a lawyer and get a restraining order against that crazy woman.

She has no rights to your child. At all. Stand your ground.

She has no rights legally hun. Tell her to fuck off

Most states don’t even give grandparents rights to visitation so I doubt Aunt will be any more important

1 Like

nope! get a restraining order on he ass lol

Is she on the babys birth certificate? No

1 Like

Get a restraining order she doesn’t seem stable stay away from her and keep your precious baby away from her. Good luck

2 Likes