Do I have to replace the airpods my dog ate?

How old is the puppy? What actions have you been taking to train your dog to NOT do that? Your responsibility lies with training your dog and if it’s been an ongoing issue (as you said you’ve already replaced crocs and clothing), I think you might need to replace them.

5 Likes

You have to draw the line somewhere. Yes, price has a lot to do with it. There is responsibility from every angle. Stop allowing dog to get away with this. Sit kids down and talk to all. Set ground rules. Take dog to obedience classes. Let them participate. Help a little with cost of replacing ear buds. Make it clear-no more replacing things

1 Like

It’s a child’s fault your dog chews things up?
Replace that baby’s airpods and train your dog better :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woozy_face:

1 Like

A judge in court would say you should be training your dog better & possibly not leaving it unsupervised. They would order you to cover the damaged items. Because technically, yes it’s your fault.

4 Likes

Do not replace they need to learn to take care of their things

3 Likes

I would not replace them.

1 Like

I have a dog that eats everything and imo no you aren’t responsible for replacing them. It happened at your house, they were aware the dog chews and they chose to bring the airpods and not keep them away from the dog. The kids parents need to teach the kid to keep up with their stuff.

2 Likes

The dog eating them was a natural consequence to not obeying house rules and taking care of their items. Their parents should reinforce that.

10 Likes

Your dog chewed them. Therefore the dog is your responsibility. Put gates up,teach your dog no. Yes kid should learn lesson but like tame your dog

12 Likes

In a way… you do have to replace them. But if you don’t want to, then prepare for some sour feelings coming your way.

Do not replace that what wrong with a lot of kids they do u want to listen

3 Likes

The kid put them in your child’s room like you asked. Your dog came into said room and destroyed them. This is on you. Replace them.

1 Like

Offer to pay for half.

5 Likes

Maybe speak to the child’s parent, offer to pay half at least.

If my dog destroyed something that belonged to someone else I’d replace it.

Your kid could soon become unpopular because you feel it’s your place to teach someone else’s child a lesson. Maybe teach your dog not to chew :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

I wouldn’t replace them, especially if I’ve warned them over and over not to leave personal items. Let this be a lesson learned. Tell them not to bring over personal items anymore

3 Likes

Can’t believe all of these people saying no, of course you need to replace them. Its your untrained dog that ate them so your responsibility.

10 Likes

I would replace them, and tame the dog

3 Likes

Not at all. Nope. Do not replace

I’d even make my kids earn the money if they were theirs eaten by the puppy, if they left them on floor.

1 Like

Just replace them, it’s your dog and if you don’t you will look bad plus probably cause problems for your child and his friend & awkwardness between you & the parents. I would warn that you aren’t doing this again though.

6 Likes

Would you expect someone else to replace your kids if it happened to them? I’m torn because you did warn them, but does your dog receive any type of discipline especially since this is an ongoing issue

Replace and train dog. Remove dog from area when you have company apparently, crate.

3 Likes

Yes you need to replace them.

If you’re paying to replace the airpods after warning them over and over ( I UNDERSTAND it takes a lot of time to train a pup especially to stop chewing) I’d be asking them to pay for the vet bill to make sure the pup is okay.
Crate training can be an amazing way to avoid this when your kids have friends over and the pups still learning.

1 Like

First off why were the airpods on the floor? Sounds like the owner of them isn’t being responsible with them in the first place. They know you have a dog you’ve told them repeatedly what to do if they bring there stuff over and they didn’t listen… I’m sorry but that’s on the child and they need to learn a lesson about responsibility. I wouldn’t replace them

3 Likes

Nope. I wouldn’t replace them. If their parents deem them responsible enough to have AirPods, they should be responsible enough to take care of them. Leaving them in the middle of the floor isn’t very responsible. If their parents have a problem with it perhaps they will opt not to allow their child at your house which is fine. To be clear, I wouldn’t replace the AirPods that my own child frivolously left unattended on the FLOOR while knowing there is a pup who likes to chew on the prowl. :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Sure you don’t have to technically replace them if you don’t want to. But see how quick you become the house that none of the kids want to go over to to hangout with your kids :joy::joy:

1 Like

How old is the kid. Cause kids need to learn how to listen and this is a good listening lesson.
I would replace but lay down some different rules for next time

1 Like

Unfortunately since it’s not your kid (If I’m reading this right) it is NOT your responsibility to be teaching any lessons. It is NOT your decision. Yes you may have warmed the kid. But as it is not their home, they are not used to that type of stuff on the regular. I’ve grown up with dogs and had them chew quite a bit as a result of me not picking up. But it was my dog. Lesson learned. This is not the other kids dog or normal day to day. So yes… as the item was damaged by your dog at your house, you should replace them. If you want to teach a lesson, don’t allow the kid over anymore since they can’t obey your house rules at least until your dog is trained.

1 Like

Yes you need to replace them. Pretty sure if something happened to one of your child’s things at another persons house you would be mad and would want them replaced. So if anything happens to anybody else’s child’s stuff or a child gets hurt on your property it’s your responsibility. Your dog is your responsibility to train regardless if it’s a pup or not. You’ve known your dog is prone to eating things so your responsibility is making sure your dog doesn’t wander off and getting into things because if this dog has eaten crocs and clothes now AirPods then you aren’t doing the correct training. I also doubt the child left their AirPods on the floor honestly and you’re just saying that to cover yourself but sounds like your child’s door wasn’t shut all the way and the dog got in there and found them on the bed or something and the dog ate them. Take responsibility cause you knew something like this was bound to happen. And the people who keep saying she shouldn’t be replacing them I guarantee you that regardless of how many times you tell your child not to take something with them they definitely will but they’ll hide it for you wouldn’t see it and if it got damaged or stolen I guarantee you’ll be mad and you would want it replaced so.

1 Like

Yes you replace them. Maybe you need to be supervising better if you know your dog does this, or don’t have anyone in the house… Also spend some time training the dog!

2 Likes

If you told the kids not to touch/play with the dog and the dog attacked one, would you pay for medical bills? Yea, obviously they are 2 different severities. But by your thinking, “I warned them so I shouldn’t have to pay”. It’s the same concept. It’s YOUR dog that did it. If anything, offer to pay for half and tell the parents/child that they need to keep them at home next time

2 Likes

The most I would do is offer to pay half.
You have told the friends to put their things in your kids rooms and make sure the door is closed.
The friend DID put them in your kids room, but DID NOT close the door.
Therefore, the friend did HALF of what you asked, so I would offer HALF of the price.
Puppies chew EVERYTHING, and there’s not much that can be done about it.

8 Likes

Put your dog up while you have guests, you absolutely should replace them. Especially with how expensive they are. And train your dog, you can’t just let it chew on things forever.

6 Likes

Yes you need to replace them. Or Atleast pay half. Whatever the parents want you to do. If it was my dog I would instantly call the parents and tell them what happened and offer to pay for them.

2 Likes

Organic consequences to actions… If the dog got sick from them, would you insist that they help pay the vet bill? after you’ve told them to watch their belongings.

1 Like

Yes. You should replace or atleast pay for half. You know your puppy chews You haven’t trained the pup not to chew. You are the adult. You allowed the kids to come over. You should have locked the pup up for a few hours while the kids were there. It’s 100% your responsibility.

3 Likes

Of course you do. My cat ate about 52 pairs of headphones… the ones with the chords. My niece and nephew would visit and they’d forget to put them away. Once we had a friend visit and they just left them on the counter. Plus, the few he ate of mine. Thank goodness Mr. Kitty is over his habit, but, he’s my cat, my responsibility.
However, I bet you still won’t.

1 Like

rules are set puppy is still learning, not the puppies fault the kid didnt pick their stuff up after being told to keep stuff picked up. kids need to learn responsibility. we have a puppy who is also still learning, my daughter has a problem with not picking up toys and the puppy gets them and chews on them, we have told her time and time again so she knows to pivk her toys up or puppy might chew them. when he does get ahold of her toys, she then has to be the one to clean up the mess or throw the toy away as her stuff is her responsibility

5 Likes

I wasnt allowed to take expensive stuff to friends houses because i got told if something then that item wouldn’t be replaced. I am the same way with my kiddos. So, no you shouldn’t replace. They were warned multiple times and they didn’t listen so that’s on them.

4 Likes

I would never expect someone else to replace an expensive item that should’ve never left my house in the first place. If you’re gonna let your child leave the house with a $200+ pair of headphones, then it’s their responsibility to make sure they aren’t broken, lost or damaged. That’s crazy!! People today blame everyone else for their own children’s mistakes.

24 Likes

Question…will the dog start to bite the children in a few months? If “things” aren’t safe, are the visitors next? My child would NOT be a guest. Seems irresponsible…

5 Likes

You can get a cage for him or put him on a lease.

4 Likes

Replace the AirPods otherwise I’m sure there’ll be more you’ll have to deal with. Put your dog somewhere else when you have other kids over.

1 Like

How old are the kids and how old is the dog?

Your dog ate them, you replace them. It is not up to you to teach a child a lesson who is not even your kid. Your not their parent.

7 Likes

Ask the parents to monitor their children.

Wait a moment…the puppy is your responsibility. What if it had been a bag of chocolate? The theobromine in chocolate will make a dog severely ill or possibly even kill it. What if it had been so.ething else in a child’s bag that could harm the dog? You would be yelling for compensation for the vet bills. It is to up to YOU the owner to train this dog and keep an eye on this dog. Take responsibility for your puppy. You did in the past for other items. You are only balking and throwing it on the kid because of the price. Now you are trying to blame shift. Be a more responsible dog owner. As a former pit bull terrier rescue I am appalled you are not doing more to curb this behavior in the dog.

3 Likes

Wow your house your dog your responsibility

5 Likes

I wouldn’t replace them. They have been warned. It’s not your job to keep up with every child’s belongings.

8 Likes

In my opinion he shouldn’t have brought them over. Why a kid has these AirPods I don’t lol they are expensive and kids can’t keep track of anything so giving them wireless earbuds just seems silly but whatever. Should have left them at home.

8 Likes

What are you teaching the dog?

2 Likes

Yes, your dog chewed them. You replace them. It’s YOUR responsibility to keep an eye on your dog when you have company over. Invest in a baby gate to keep the dog out of your child’s room, regardless of whether the door is open or closed.

14 Likes

the dog ate them, you should replace them

2 Likes

You would be responsible if yhe dog bit?

4 Likes

NO , it’s not you responsible to replace anything kids should be taught to look after there belongings and if they can’t ban them from bring thing over when they come to play

6 Likes

No way would I replace them

2 Likes

Uh no u don’t have to replace them they shouldn’t be bringing over expensive stuff and leaving it on the floor. How the heck is that ur fault?? Oh and some of these comments are like wth :woman_facepalming: lol

7 Likes

A few questions… how old are the children? Are the parents aware that there is a puppy in your home that likes to chew? I know it was mentioned the children were told many times, but what about the parents? Why were you willing to replace the Crocs and clothing items that were chewed but questioning the AirPods? Is it the same friend leaving out their items?
Hard to give an opinion without knowing a little more information.

I would reach out to the parents and explain that the children have been warned multiple times. They may have insurance on the AirPods and can easily replace them.
I would have a sit down with the kiddos (if old enough) and let them know that the puppy chews and you will no longer replace items that are brought into your home that are chewed by the puppy . I would contact the parents and provide the same information. Communication is key.

If you like that they all hang out at your house, you may want to replace the damaged AirPods. Sometimes it’s better to throw money at the situation to keep the peace. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

You need to teach your pup some basic house rules. I literally worked my pup every day for hours to learn basic commands to keep him safe. You need to crate train as well.

3 Likes

The parents might have an opinion if you ask them

You replace them. Put the dog outside or in a kennel next time they are over. Your responsibility.

3 Likes

The people who are saying to make the parents(home owner) replace the air pods, you are the problem. You buy your child an expensive item. Your child should have been responsible enough to watch knowing there was a puppy in the house. I have a husky who is just now a week over 1. He has been destructive. I’ve replaced things. My brother is 11. He comes over and stays frequently. Along with his friend. I tell them all the time. I mind the dog, you mind your stuff. If your stuff is left down unattended too long and if my puppy is in a mood he will chew anything. Even though he has a bucket of toys. Parents make your children responsible. It is not their friends parents responsibility to keep watch over their stuff.

9 Likes

Nope. If my kids leave something where a pet can get to it at friend’s house then it’s on them. I would not expect the parents to pay. Good grief. Do we give kids any responsibility and consequences anymore??

12 Likes

No. I have an issue with parents buying such expensive items for their kids and then not holding them responsible if they are irresponsible for them. Sadly it may create a rift with the family, but it was not responsibility to babysit every personal item a child brings to your home.

2 Likes

The kid didn’t listen not your fault

3 Likes

My kids have air pods. I told them that the air pods were their responsibility. If they are lost, eaten, stolen from school ect… not my fault. They would not be replaced. They need to take care of things that are expensive.

3 Likes

Yes. It’s your home. Yes. It’s your dog. No, you are not responsible for the things other children bring to your home, especially after giving warning after warning. I would take the chewed airpods to their parents and tell them that you told all the children to keep their stuff up and the door shut, and they didn’t listen. That’s a whole lot of not your problem.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t replace them…

1 Like

Replace the AirPods You already said you have replaced other things. Plus they are not your kids to teach a lesson to. It was your dog that ate them and they were in the bedroom were you told them to put them, regardless if they shut the door or not. Your dog your responsibility. AirPods are not cheap.

4 Likes

No way. They were told how to behave. Unless they had no warning, I see no reason to replace something after the warnings been given, especially not when it’s been given more than once. If they didn’t want them chewed up they should’ve closed the door or not brought them to your house.

1 Like

Replace them - don’t be a dick, you are the adult - and of course let them know “next time” it’s on them

Your dog, not your kid. Yep, you replace them.

4 Likes

No I’d say kid hopefully will learn his lesson to take care of things. I would even buy them for my own kid in this situation. He needs to earn the money to replace himself I he wants them or put on a Christmas list

1 Like

My daughter was at sleepover asleep and dog chewed her iPhone n parents did not pay so really that’s on the child’s parents for trusting their child to take care of there expensive belongings
If they lost them who pays same deal parents pay that’s not your fault now if they dropped them n dog grabbed before child could get them n dog ran off but child clearly was not caring about there stuff .good luck

Not your fault. :woman_shrugging:

Put a sign up on the front door this house has a puppy items left on the floor could be chewed. We will not be responsible for chewed items. Enter at your own risk! My opinion the kid left them and was irresponsible so not your problem. Tell the parents they were warned. My kids have ipads if they took them to a friend’s house end they got broken I would just use the insurance I have on them. I would never expect the parents to replace

1 Like

I wouldn’t and I’m the house all the kids come to :woman_shrugging:t2:
First off they’ve been told numerous times, secondly depending on the kids age why give them such a expensive item if they’re not responsible……my kid is 11 and I definitely wouldn’t buy her ear buds that cost a couple hundred to be walking all over the neighborhood with.
The people saying train your dog clearly have never had a puppy :joy:.

2 Likes

Everyone is responsible for their own things. A dog does not know that they’re airpods. Why should the dogs owner be held responsible. Parents should teach their spoilt children to be more responsible and take care of their very expensive things

I feel like the people saying you need to replace them either don’t have kids or are extremely entitled. Why on gods green earth should you replace something that someone else was responsible for just bc it was in your house? Absurd.

2 Likes

Yeah no I wouldn’t lol if my kid takes something to someone else’s house it’s their job to take care of it and no one else’s.

4 Likes

Not your fault! Don’t buy them. He needs to learn to keep His stuff picked up ESPECIALLY something that’s expensive.

1 Like

To keep the peace I would offer half. I would also install a self latching baby gate. Maybe it would teach the kids to close the door if they have to deal with a baby gate or the door

I would replace, then talk to the parents and child. And explain you can’t keep replacing items they don’t keep out of reach. That either next time they can’t bring them or if they do you won’t be replacing again.

1 Like

I’m on the fence. Lol

1 Like

You gave them warning that’s all you need to do.
I’d not replace them

3 Likes

Your responsible. Your house, your dog.

9 Likes

I would replace them because the parents can and most likely will take you to small claims which will end up costing you more

1 Like

Nope. If parents don’t want nice things ruined don’t let kids bring them other places.

8 Likes

We have dogs and I tell my kids whatever you don’t want chewed keep put up, it’s their responsibility.

Don’t replace them, and if your dog gets sick make them pay for the vet bill. He warned them enough

2 Likes

I would definitely have a talk with the kiddos parents first and see how they feel about it. Yes, AirPods are expensive. But the kid also knows that they’re expensive and shouldn’t be leaving them laying around just anywhere especially if they have been warned several times about the puppy that chews on everything.
And besides the kid should be held accountable just as well as the owner of the puppy. I’m not about to teach my son that he’ll get his nice stuff replaced after he’s irresponsibly left them sitting somewhere that he knew they could possibly get damaged.
ALSO there is such a thing as Apple Insurance. And I know if I’m gonna buy my young kid any Apple product then I’m definitely going to pay for the insurance.

6 Likes

I don’t think you’re responsible. I’m also a chronic people pleaser and would probably offer half to attempt to keep the peace. Maybe get a basket where that have to put all of their crap and they can’t grab it until they leave? If they’re going to hold you liable you’ll have to get a little meaner.

3 Likes

I’m not understanding why you have replaced some items that the dog has ruined in the past, meaning you have took responsibility that it’s your dog that’s done the damage but all of a sudden decided its not your responsibility that your dog has done this. It’s like you have suddenly changed rules when it suits you :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

I’d love to say that you don’t need to replace them….

Maybe call the child’s parents and explain the situation. If they get huffy puffy, to keep the peace offer half but also mention that their child can’t be bringing such expensive things to your house if they can’t take care of them. Your dog isn’t 7 years old, he/she more than likely doesn’t understand quite yet. He/she is a puppy. So with that said, that should be the ground you stand on. And that from there on out you will not be replacing anything, as child(ren) have been warned over and over.

1 Like

Dog owners responsibility.

4 Likes

I guess it depends on how old the child is…12 and older definitely know better. 11 and under i might be more inclined to buy them a new pair.

1 Like

I think it depends on the age of the child. If my teenager left them on the floor after multiple warnings then I would make them work for the money to buy a new pair. I guarantee after they pay the price for those ear buds they will never leave them where the dog could get then again…

2 Likes

Idk. I’m the type of person that wouldn’t expect someone to replace my kids items in cases like this but also the same person who would offer to pay for at least half if it happened at my house. I do get where you are coming from though and a lot of people feel the same as you so if you are against it then don’t replace them

3 Likes

Heck no…you’ve warned them to keep their things put up and they didn’t and there would definitely be a rule going forward…don’t bring expensive electronics bc I won’t be replacing them!!

5 Likes

I wouldn’t. If they’ve been told. They’ve been told. Makes me wonder what other rules have been shrugged off and forgotten. I’d give all the kiddos a quick run down of the rules again.

1 Like