Do I have to replace the airpods my dog ate?

Doors accidentally get left open all the time and he’s a kid. They forget. You’re an adult and I’m sure you forget as well. It’s not his fault your dog chews everything up. Train your dog, isolated off to a section of the house if you have to and replace your kids AirPods. Pretty a hole move if you don’t

4 Likes

My sisters son lost my sons airpods I asked her to replace or at least half and shr refused to take responsibility… I guess everyone is different… I would have replaced them…

2 Likes

No. If they want things they need to be responsible for taken care of their own stuff … wasn’t even dogs fault. They shouldn’t have been on floor

4 Likes

You’re in a rough spot. The child should be responsible. But you’ve paid for items before. If the parents took you to court the judge can see that as you taking responsibility for things your dog chews up & order you to pay. Small claims court is a joke though. Just because s judge determines you need to pay nothing makes you pay it.

3 Likes

I would offer to replace them with a cheaper version. Speak with the parents of all of your kids friends and let them know the house rule and that if they value something not to bring it over because you will not be replacing it.

2 Likes

Yea, nah I hays on them ,they have benn warned many times . Their loss

Tell them not to bring their stuff to your house at all no you should not have to replace it they were warned and leaving them on the floor someone could have stepped on them and broke them anyway so the child was not taking care of his belongings in the first place

5 Likes

Hell I don’t replace my kids things if are dogs chew them up she is 5 and has learned already we don’t put are toys in the dog kennel and to pick up stuff toys or they will mostly become a dog toy …. But I have also got my dogs to quit taking them off the floor to eat them but they are older and it can be a battle to get them to stop it if they are old enough to have something that expensive they should be old enough to know not to leave them on the floor

1 Like

Legally, yes. If it were to go to a judge, you’d be responsible for the damage.

3 Likes

If the ear bud child had lost them, had them stolen, or dropped them in a water puddle, who would replace them? Expensive toys don’t belong anywhere but their home, or out with their parents supervision, Unless the kid is a teenager, and even then… in fact the child may have not had permission from his parents to do so.

4 Likes

My daughter spent the night at a friends house and their dog got ahold of her glasses. I did not expect them to pay, even though they offered. Luckily her insurance covered it.

1 Like

Yeah your dog isn’t trained and ruined someone’s belongings I’d be livid. So yeah it’s your responsibility to pay.

13 Likes

If they were on the floor. No. If they were put up on a table or something I would replace

1 Like

How old are the kids? Eight? Replace them ONCE. Sixteen? Well, I’d think that’s old enough to keep track of them, and to work to buy another pair.

1 Like

If my kid goes to a friend’s house and doesn’t take care of his stuff and it gets damaged, no way am I expecting the friend’s family to pay for it :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Did you tell the parents before hand that ur dog is a chewer and warn them not to bring stuff over they don’t want ruined… if not ur responsible it would be no different if ur kid broke them

1 Like

I would pay for them and since he/she can’t follow the rules at your house, they would not be allowed to stay or bring any items over.

1 Like

Nope! If you’ve warned & warned & the kids don’t listen then that’s on them. I let ALL my kids friends know that if their kid brings things over & they’re ruined or broken b/c their child wasn’t listening or was being irresponsible then I will not be responsible. I’m not responsible for someone else’s kid being irresponsible.

Man, I wouldn’t want to be in your position! I had a friend’s 11yo son jump on my daughter’s brand new toddler bed and break it. I was rather peed off and hoped she had offered, but she didn’t. He was old enough and with no cognitive issues, so should have known better.
Then the kids were messing around and her son’s glasses got broke. Not my issue :woman_shrugging:t3:
So I’ve been on both sides.
Accidents happen. The child was warned.
I wouldn’t allow my child to bring something so valuable to another child’s house. It’s common sense. Even with a phone they have strict instructions to keep it on them, zipped in a pocket.

My sister was (RIP) sh!t with taking care of stuff. So I wouldn’t let her borrow anything I couldn’t afford to lose, or leave anything in her care.

Not gonna lie though, I’d be furious if this happened to my kids AirPods. Furious at my child, furious at the dog, furious at the parents, furious at the world :rofl:

But the thing I repeat most with my kids is if they don’t take care of things, they won’t be replaced :woman_shrugging:t3:

I wouldn’t or maybe offer 1/2. They need to be responsible

2 Likes

You warned them but you also set a precident by paying for other things. You may have to pay and then just don’t let them in your house anymore.

4 Likes

Legally yes. And you should probably also take your dog to a vet.

1 Like

Don’t replace lmao forget them kids

8 Likes

Nope sorry should’ve listened lol :100:

2 Likes

Nope. They shouldn’t have even brought something like that over… you warned them…:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Speak to the parents and see if you can do half… if it’s the kid wanting them replaced… No Way!!!

1 Like

In my house, and I’ve explained the need to keep items up… No.

If my dog ruined stuff at someone else’s house…I don’t care what it is, I’m replacing it.

3 Likes

No absolutely not! If you have warned many times I wouldn’t replace.

1 Like

I would to avoid a headache, but tbh not your responsibilityto do so.

I wouldn’t replace it if it was my child Nevermind somebody else stankin Child

5 Likes

But you’ve replaced other items for other kids? But not this one kid and their airpods?

3 Likes

U can’t blame the dog for human errors, and the kids were warned so no…don’t replace them.

4 Likes

train your dog and you won’t have this problem :relaxed:

5 Likes

This happened to me once. Set of headphones. I repeated it a thousand times… do not leave cords of any kind out. Sorry, but he lost his headphones that day.

Nope I do not replace anything they all get told

If a kid is old enough to have expensive things they’re old enough to know to take proper care of them.

7 Likes

I personally would pay for them because you don’t give us the age of the child and many have tech they just can’t keep track of and may not be responsible enough to have. If the kid is 9 or older, I would give the parent a gift card for half the value. My thoughts are a kid 9 years or older should know enough to keep track of tech. Anyone could have taken those air pods in addition to the pup.

Nope kid should of been more responsible

1 Like

Your house- your rules- you have given fair warning :sunflower::v:t4:

If you have to replace them I’d say they can’t come over anymore or if they do they aren’t allowed to bring in any items that are costly because you’re being nice enough letting your house be the hang out home.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t replace them! You’ve given them plenty of warnings not to leave things lying around

Teach them a lesson but at the same time give them a chore or two to earn them back. Plush toys help with dog teething. You need to catch them in the act because they soon fget what they do. Point to the object and say NO

You don’t know if the ear bud kid followed directions and another kid left the door open. I’d pay

3 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 20687 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.

M0re Info. https://amazingjobz367.netlify.app/

I’d pay for half of it. My dog destroyed your things, but you left it where he could get them after repeatedly being told not to leave your stuff laying around.

8 Likes

You’ve given many many warning and they know the rules. The child and your own child are to “blame” here. They both (or how ever many) should have noted the door at least.
I would talk to the parents and explain to them that you are sorry your puppy did this, however their kid knew the rules and what happens if the door is left open or their things laying around.

Besides, things happen. It wasn’t intentional. The child (and maybe even your own) hopefully learned a valuable lesson…

1 Like

Depends on the kid’s age.

1 Like

Replace it… Don’t let them come back until your dog is trained. Or… Don’t replace it and don’t let them come back until it’s trained… Only 2 options bc I’m pretty sure, that kid won’t be back if you don’t. :joy:

“Beware of dog”“He Chews stuff” UP" sign one. “Do not Bring your stiffinto my Home”, sign two. Sign 3 “dog Destroys Stuf” “enter at your own Risk”

1 Like

I guess coming from a fur momma with a chewer as well( no fault of my own, I rescued him)… I’d contact the parent and let them know hey they dog chewed this up. I’m willing to get a cheaper pair for us to see if they can handle responsibility at my house, if so then I will get them the name brand ones once I know they can follow the rules of the house. I’m sure I’ll be replacing things once they get older I’ve replaced a $300 pair of cowboy boots 2 shampooers for my carpet and parts of the window sills I feel your pain

Why don’t you train your dog so he/she doesn’t destroy stuff?

7 Likes

To prevent this in the future, buy a bottle of Bitter Apple spray from a pet supplies store and spray valuables with it. It’s non-toxic but tastes awful, so once dogs lick something, most will leave it alone. Also make sure your pup has a wide variety of toys to chew on and play with.

You’re in a bind here, because you’ve replaced so many things before. I’m confused why someone would come over to play and bring ibuds. There’s no reason to bring earphones to a play date.

One way to educate the kids is to do an exercise where they explore a room from your pup’s point of view. Before they come over, label objects in the room with little signs representing your pup’s thoughts, such as, “smells great” and “What’s this? Must try!” This will help them understand how pups think. The experience will remind them much better than your words. Put a sign on your daughter’s room door to remind them to close it. Put a sign on the floor saying, “Anything here must be mine!” with a pic of your pup. Visual reminders help kids much better than words.

1 Like

Your house yr rules. Yr kid yr rules n that includes when any other kid is in my care/house. I put other kids in their place along with my 5 yr old n now the parents r saying he can’t play with them cuz of me n my yelling :rofl:

You warned them about what would happen, if you didn’t I’d pay for it but since you did I’d say no - not like you have all the money in the world either hence another reason why you’ve mentioned them picking up and keeping doors closed so it wouldn’t happen

1 Like

I would replace the AirPods, but tell the kid to leave them at home after this. Until your dog is out of the chewing stage, anything left on the floor is fair game and they’ve been told that repeatedly. You won’t replace anything else. So leave all valuables at home.

2 Likes

No I always tell my kids if you choose to take your expensive items somewhere and something happens to it’s their fault. Shouldn’t have been on floor. Now if it was out up and dog got it then it be different story

2 Likes

I would not replace. Expensive airpods should never be on the floor in any circumstance. The child is at fault here. Now if the dog reached and grabbed them off the counter, I would definitely replace. From now on though, I would let the children and their parents know that they are not allowed to bring items over to the house.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t replace the AirPods being as you have warned them multiple times but I would train your dog to not chew on things that shouldn’t be chewed on.

2 Likes

Lmao alot of you don’t have dogs and it shows.

3 Likes

You can always talk to the parent and tell them what happened that you have warned them multiple times to keep their stuff up and away from where the dog can get them and unfortunately he did not and the dog got them. Maybe offer to give them some money toward it but you are not completely paying for them because you have told them multiple times to keep their stuff put away and obviously everyone else listened except this kid.

1 Like

I wouldn’t replace, you warned the kids it’s not the dogs fault the kid didn’t listen.

1 Like

You warned them :woman_shrugging:t2: but at the same time kids do make mistakes. I’d offer to go half with the kids parents on a new pair

1 Like

Put a sign on your front door
“Not responsible for unattended personal property in our home - DOG will eat / chew anything left in reach”

If something gets destroyed - say did you read the sign!

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be replacing them, and I would tell the kid and his parent is not your responsibility to replace them and next time He’s over he needs to be more responsible with his things.

3 Likes

Nope I tell the kids allllll the time.

1 Like

If you warned them repeatedly, then it’s their fault. If my son leaves the house with something expensive, it’s on him to take care of it, not everyone else around him. The airpods we’re his responsibility, not yours. You cannot be expected to follow your dog around your house 24/7 to protect things OTHER people leave on the floor, especially when they have been well informed and well warned.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t replace anything. If they can’t take care of their shit it’s not your job to replace it.

Yes, I’d replace them.

3 Likes

I would not replace them. Heck No

1 Like

How will the kid learn the lesson? I wouldn’t pay… it’ll teach them to keep their stuff better contained… and teach them it costs to make mistakes sometimes… better AirPods than something more important… they’ll get over it

3 Likes

Yes I probably would replace them but after that I would put up a sign and make sure any of the kids that come hang out have seen the note and that you will not replace anything else from that point forward. Maybe have the kids sign the note after they read it so there’s no saying they didn’t read it. Is it possible the kid had a warranty on the AirPods? If so they will replace them at a low cost.

1 Like

You could always wait until the dog relieves himself and you’ll have them back!! Lol!!

2 Likes

My question is how are the parents? Are they the type that will flipout, it’s tot my kids fult & they to sue you? Or are they the parents that will work with you?

I would replace them let his parents know. Things of value are brought over at their own risk. You will not be responsible for their children belongings if they don’t follow your house rules.

I also have a 2yr old lab that chews just yesterday. I left my tool bag on the floor under my dinningroom table. She took everything out & chewed some of them up.

1 Like

Nope. Are they going to pay your vet bill if your puppy ends up sick because he ate them? Hopefully they will just come out when he goes poop but I would be more worried about my dog than the AirPods.

I don’t have dogs but I absolutely would not expect you to replace anything of my child’s period. I don’t care if it cost $5 or $500. If my child brings something to your house it is her responsibility to take care of it. Especially with dogs in the home it should be common sense to keep stuff put up but either way they don’t belong on the floor. The kid should be learning the lesson for not taking care of their property and you even set rules to prevent it that they broke so even more their own fault. If one of my older daughters friends brought something over and my 1 year old child got a hold of it and broke it I’d also say sorry but you know she’s here and you left it on the floor where it doesn’t belong. Hopefully it doesn’t mess up a friendship.

13 Likes

I would replace them and tell the kid they couldn’t come back to my house until they learn to listen and follow the rules of the house.

2 Likes

Idk I think I may feel responsible to replace but I’m not a pet owner either I see a lot of commenters are. I think it depends on the child’s age and circumstances as well, if it was his first time visiting or not used to shutting doors or a pup. My younger son has disabilities so he constantly needs reminders about the rules and would easily misplace or get distracted and forget but my older son is 17 and is more mature and responsible and accountable. I think I would talk with the parent and offer to pay for half of a cheap pair or offer to buy a used pair from like mecari at a discounted price. But to expect you to replace such an expensive item isn’t reasonable, I think as a parent when you buy such an expensive item you should be able to have established some type of responsibility from your child for whatever it may be, especially if you take it places.

2 Likes

Offer maybe … half?? Or other token amount

1 Like

Not your issue at all. My kids aren’t allowed to bring anything over to their neighborhood friends that they care about being broken. Head phones, phones, ect. Because I’ve made it clear if they break I won’t replace them.

5 Likes

So the child is not yours? I definitely wouldn’t replace them.

1 Like

If it’s not your kid, they can technically take you to court for them. Your dog ate something on your property. You are responsible

5 Likes

I would not replace.

2 Likes

I would it’s my dog it’s my responsibility even if he’s in my home. If you don’t want this to happen again I suggest you don’t let kids in your home. Kids are kids and dogs are dogs the y both don’t listen.

4 Likes

If my child was careless enough to leave them laying, after knowing full well what would happen because you had warned him before, the no I would not ask you to replace them. He would have to figure out a way to earn some more :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

How old are these children? I mean you can tell kids things over and over but you have to actually watch and reinforce it to. Morally yes you should replace them

2 Likes

If it’s not your kids item, it’s lesson time!! Expensive lesson but the kid will definitely remember this one! There are a couple lessons from my own childhood that are burnt into my memory and will never let happen again!

2 Likes

You technically are still responsible.

5 Likes

I would feel so guilt if I didn’t replace them! While the pods are the kids responsibility the dog it’s yours!

Above all that train your dog before it gets into something dangerous.

4 Likes

Replace them and train your dog.

6 Likes

Oh yeah time to practice some tough love

2 Likes

I’d go half and half with the parents to replace them and tell the parents not to let the child bring them back over

3 Likes

They need to watch there stuff . I don’t believe your at fault when you have warned them and it was them who let the air pods lie around
I do think you might want to consider training the dog. So he doesn’t destroy you and the kids items though.
As far as people saying cage him … heck no ! It’s his hs these irresponsible kids are coming into .

3 Likes

I wouldn’t pay a dime. It’s the kids fault, not yours. They should have listened.

7 Likes

Make a deal…have them pay the veterinarian surgery bill (about $1,500.00), and you pay the airbud bill , sounds fair to me ??

7 Likes

I think for the sake of the friendship, I would offer to split the cost.

3 Likes

No they need to be more responsible

3 Likes

I’d offer to split the cost 50/50 and say in the future you are responsible for your items…

Why have you not put the dog up when they’re over? Stop making excuses for the bad behaved dog.

15 Likes

Replace them. It’s not their fault you didn’t train your dog better

11 Likes

I’ll offer them a deal. You pay the $150 for the pods and they pay the vet visit. Which generally are $250 just to walk in the door.

6 Likes