Do I have to tell my job that I am pregnant?

I just found out that I am pregnant and am starting a new job…the new job is kind of demanding but i am afraid if i tell them i am pregnant they wont let me start…do i have to tell them?

22 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Do I have to tell my job that I am pregnant?

No you do not have to disclose that information!! (I wouldn’t until I’m further along) And it’s against the law for a job to discriminate against someone for being pregnant!

4 Likes

Absolutely not and they aren’t supposed to ask

3 Likes

l Get paid over $109 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $14297 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://proworkings1239.pages.dev/

3 Likes

Tell them after you start. They shouldn’t be asking you any questions related to pregnancy or family.

3 Likes

Your not legally obligated to tell them, I’d wait till you start showing and tell them

4 Likes

No. Don’t tell them unless the job could be dangerous to your baby.

2 Likes

Nope. You’re not required to tell them anything by law.

2 Likes

Is the job something that can be dangerous for u and baby? If so than I would tell them

1 Like

I feel that it is unethical not to tell them, but that is me.

3 Likes

I asked my husband cuz he’s a foreman thinking he would know this man said “idk I’ve never been pregnant, my wife handles that”
:rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

I didn’t until I started showing you can also get a note from your doctor once you do get far along saying that you can’t lift too much or stand for long periods of time

It’s not their business. I once told a job 3 days after I started I was pregnant. (Came up in a conversation) next day I was fired. His words to me was “you’re a liability” but he put down no work was needed at that time. So no I wouldn’t tell them

I agree
Don’t take the job if it will be a danger for your pregnancy but you are not legally required to upon hire

I had the same situation but I was a nurse 12 hour shifts on floor and I did not disclose my pregnancy until I was ready to because you’re risking not even being hired if you do… And if you just started a job I would keep quiet for a while at least a couple months and we’re just gonna have to grin and bear it I don’t know what you mean by demanding but be smart… Pretty sure you’re not gonna break or anything if I can do it you can do it

Wait till you’re 3 months.

1 Like

I found out I was pregnant two days after being offered a position as a CNA. I started work, worked for a couple of months, and then told them since 1) I will start showing soon and 2) while I don’t expect to have coworkers aid me any more than necessary I do feel it’s safer for baby if someone helps me with transfers or helping residents who may fall. So when I told them I stated that I was only hoping for that little bit of assistance here and there as needed and didn’t want them to think I was being lazy or refusing to do those aspects of the job and just that I was hoping for a little help with those aspects if the resident is of a larger size. They’ve been very kind and understanding.

Ethically I feel like you should tell them and I think it’s kind of crappy if you knew before you applied for the job. Everyone is hurting so bad for people to work and they could’ve passed up on somebody that would be there every day and wouldn’t need extended time off especially when people are hurting so bad right now. Also know that I think if you’ve been there less than a year you’re not entitled to FMLA

5 Likes

I work from home I’m due in a week and my job still doesn’t know I’m pregnant.
I just took leave around when I’m due and if I go earlier than my leave then my doctor can write me a vague note saying I had a medical procedure done.
I work for a great company that would probably have been okay that I was pregnant, it’s just my personal business that I didn’t see the need to share and legally I don’t have too.

2 Likes

If you can do the job, just do it. You don’t have to say shit and if they don’t let you start and you tell them, that’s HIGHLY ILLEGAL and they need to be sued. We need to end the discrimination against women. Pregnancy isn’t reason to be let go!!! It’s ILLEGAL. You don’t have to tell them until you want/need to. And with how discriminatory businesses are, I wouldn’t. It’s your job not your family.

I waited until I was 13 weeks to tell my work (mainly because I was told there was a high chance of miscarriage and wanted to wait until the second trimester to make sure things were travelling ok) you don’t have to tell them until you want to but if it’s physically demanding I’d be telling them shortly after you start incase you need to be put on lighter duties especially in the first trimester as if you over do it and physically push your body more than it’s used to it can be dangerous for you and the baby. They should have policies out in place in regard to pregnancy to outline what you are and aren’t allowed to do to keep you both safe x

Depends on if it’s a safety risk too you or the baby - but I’d wait until after you’ve started and do it in writing. Just so there’s a trail since they cannot terminate you for being pregnant

1 Like

No you dont… however I would a few months in. It’s against the law to fire you for being pregnant.

2 Likes

Just no if you have an accident and something happens to your baby you cannot sue them as they wasn’t aware.

Nope. I had a very physical job & I didn’t tell them till after my probation period. I worked until I gave birth & came back after leave.

2 Likes

No and I would not untill your past 3 month probation they can let you go for any reason in the probationary period they obviously can’t come out and say it’s because you are pregnant but they can make up another excuse to get away with it

3 Likes

I think 15 weeks is standard to tell HR. And I agree with other posters to do it in writing. Paper trail all the way

Tell them after your probation ends.

1 Like

I would tell them the day you started that you just found out… bc you have to make sure u do what the dr says so there is a less of a chance on hurting the baby… and they may have something also a little less demanding that they could do for you

It would be illegal for reasons of discrimination for them to not allow you to work. Are we talking some kind of warehouse job that can be physically demanding? They cam accommodate your needs. If you’re not high risk or have other issues then there really should be no reason why you cannot perform the duties said job requires. You do however need to give them a statement from your doctor stating that you are pregnant and your expected due date for your own protection. Most companies have policies regarding maternity leave and such so things need to be in writing to cover your own backside.
I got pregnant 3 weeks after I started my job 21years ago. Still there and now the baby boy is too. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t tell them until you were further along at the end of the first trimester. Lots of things can happen. Or if the job is dangerous for the baby such as working in chemicals.

3 months. I waited until I started showing around 5

No you don’t have to tell them before you start I would personally wait a couple of months and then inform them that you’re pregnant be careful though check and see what kind of state you live in I live in a state where employment is “at will” which means they don’t have to have a reason to fire a person. My daughter was few weeks away from her due date(2yrs ago) and was getting ready to put in for her maternity leave when she was fired from her job, they said it was because she was an unreliable employee. If she could have prove that they were letting her go because she was pregnant and going on maternity leave she probably would have gotten a lawyer and tried to sue for discrimination but the way things went down it wasn’t provable we live in an "at-will"state so they don’t have to have a reason to fire you they can just fire you if they want to.

They have offered you the job. If they suddenly didn’t let you start, that would be the same as firing you for being pregnant which is illegal. But on the other hand, if you do not tell them and something happens, then they could fire you for not talking them something they needed to know. They also wouldn’t be liable for any accident that occurred as a result of your pregnancy as they wouldn’t know.

Tell them, it can only go wrong if you don’t

1 Like

I didn’t tell my job until I was just about 7mo and I’ve been there about 9 years.

2 Likes

You legally don’t have to tell them until your 25 weeks in the uk. But recommended to tell them between 15&25 weeks x

I would wait until you know everything is good with the baby, once first trimester is over

2 Likes

I would just wait till you’re about 12-15 weeks. Now here’s the thing depending on your state they can fire you without any reason. I know in my state it’s an at-will state so they can fire someone without any warning or explanation. Is it fair absolutely not. So if you tell them then they fire you the next day then more than likely it’s cause of you being pregnant now if they decide to wait and fire you a month later there’s really nothing you can do abt it.

No. Tell them only if u want to

1 Like

You have to tell them. If you’re already hired, they can’t fire you for it.

1 Like

Don’t tell them until you are showing

1 Like

They can fire u n they won’t care regardless what u say

1 Like

No.
I’m not sure where you live but here those things are confidential and you don’t need to tell an employer.

2 Likes

Legally, no, you don’t have to tell them, but if your job is physically demanding, you could be putting baby at risk. It really depends on what the job is.

4 Likes

I waited until my boss asked me :rofl: I was probably about 5 months along

2 Likes

I started my current job (just hit 3 yrs) and 2 weeks in, I found out I was pregnant. I was freaking out bc it was within my 90 days and thought they could fire me. But like above have said, they legally can not fire you for being pregnant. They would have to make up some dumb excuse that your position is no longer needed but it would mean they couldn’t hire anyone in your place.

I agree with most, wait till you’re further along and as long as you know you’re taking precautions, it should be ok. Make sure baby is good and once you’re 2mo or so, then I would let the job know.

1 Like

Tell them after the 1st trimester is over. They legally can’t fire you for being pregnant if you’re already hired. Most people don’t even mention a pregnancy until they know everything is in the clear anyway.

4 Likes

I don’t know where you live or what the laws are. You should probably wait till the end of your first trimester. I would tell them then. If the job demands heavy work, you may need to evaluate if you want to stay at that job. It’s not worth the risk to your baby. Also be aware of any chemicals they may have you working around. Many employers will let you go if you’re pregnant. They don’t want to deal with liability issues. Also, they want people who are going to stay on the job, not take off for prenatal appointments and then maternity leave after that. I would go ahead and try to start the job if you really want it without saying anything about being pregnant for right now. I would also have my ear to the ground for something less demanding that may allow you to work from home or make other arrangements to deal with your pregnancy.

1 Like

I had a tubal ligation after my 5th child and was interviewing for a job I really wanted… they sorta asked if I was going to expand my family… I volunteered that I was done and had tubes done with last baby. Well guess what, I miss my period during that interview process ( I really thought it was the stress and I was still bf my one yr old). Turns out I was pregnant with twins! So I think some of their decision to hire me was because I said I was done, and “thought” I was. But no don’t say anything.

4 Likes

I was 7 months along with one of my pregnancies before I told them. My current pregnancy I told them very early on, I had only been with the company a week before i found out

Legally you don’t have to unless you are seeking accommodations

Do you have a probationary period. I ask because I was at the end of my probationary period and I discovered I was pregnant with my eldest. I had to tell my manager because my job was very hands on and involved a lot of lifting and pushing considerably weights so i was put on light dutys. I was only getting positive feedback and was very much a part of the team but as soon as I said I was pregnant I was asked to leave and was informed that I am not right for the company. So just be careful of its probationary as they don’t have to keep you on. Wishing you all the best x

Legally, no. I told my work when I could no longer hide it…around 6 months.

1 Like

No you don’t have to tell them if it doesn’t affect your pregnancy.

Don’t tell them until after 12 weeks

2 Likes

Are you putting your baby in harm’s way by doing the job?

Are you high risk or on weight lifting restrictions?

Are you able to do the demanding job still?

Are you putting baby in harms way?

Is the job safe fro pregnant women?

3 Likes

Nah, they’ll never find out.

4 Likes

Be very conservative with your money at this time. Pay off as many bills as can and save as much money as you can. You may need the money if you are let go after they find out and you will certainly need some during maternity leave. Whether you tell them or not they will find out eventually.

1 Like

No you don’t legally have to tell them.

1 Like

l Get paid over $109 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18711 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarProfits1500.pages.dev/

No. Don’t say anything for a few months

They cannot discriminate it is illegal, so no u do not have to tell them

2 Likes

I hid 4 pregnancies, 2 during the hiring process. I mention it only after my 30 days.

1 Like

When you say the job is demanding, do you mean physically? If you are healthy and its very early on in the pregnancy no, don’t inform them but as you progress see if you cannot be transitioned into more light duties until after the birth.

It’s really sad we live in a world where this has to be asked. :slightly_frowning_face: I dont know the answer, but I hope all is well for you and all works out! :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I think it depends how far along you are personally I wouldn’t tell anyone except my partner until I was thru the first trimester, so much can happen throughout pregnancy but after that first trimester a lot of risks are reduced.

Also everyone needs to make a living and do what is best for them don’t let society make you feel pressured to do or say something that could hurt you in the long run.

1 Like

I was 30 weeks pregnant when I started my job. I wore baggy scrubs. They found out about 3 weeks afterwards and I worked until I gave birth. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

My daughter in law was 7 months pregnant when she started her job on a military base. She is about to give birth and they didn’t care

Nope. You are only required to tell them if your job could harm you or your baby.

Are you high risk? Are you going to be putting you and baby in danger? Are you going to be able to do the job that your getting hired for without hurting baby or you? I mean of course they’ll find out soon. However if u know that it’s going to be ok n not put u or baby in harm don’t say anything. But than again they will see ur belly getting bigger within time so.