Do I need my husbands permission to get my tubes tied?

Actually alot of places do want his consent. Yes it’s your body but you are married so he has a say too. Lucky for me I wasn’t married but they did make me sign a paper and wait 2 months. I’m in PA I don’t the know rules otherwise. Also I had pregnancy issues with my second daughter so I was able to make the call at 22 and only 2 daughters.

I’m not gonna even read this. No. It’s YOUR body and he gets no say so. If you go to a dr that says you need his permission go to a new dr

4 Likes

i would also be careful wtih this cause it could screw up your marriage big time. Just talk it out with him. Pros and Cons. Youll have to come to a mutual ground or else it will affect your marriage

Had my tubes tied last year. And no consent other than my own was needed.

Ok I googled it… it says federally it is not a law for a husband to consent but some drs still require it. Sho just find different drs

I had to sign a paper when my husband got a vasectomy. I am in Ohio.

1 Like

I was 29, with 4 kids. The doctor didn’t even question my ex. That was almost 23 years ago.

No you don’t need anyone’s signature or approval. It’s your body. I had mine done and she never cared what the hell my husband said. If I’m the one taking care of them all day and night and had reached my limit then there is no argument.

no you dont. a doctor tried to pull that shit in front of my husband and I during my last one cus I wanted my tubes tied - fucker worked for Kaiser.

Google says there’s only 3 states that do this still and New York is not one of them. So you should be ok :+1:t4:. Apparently some facilities still try to enforce the practice within their own policies even though it’s been ruled as majority unconstitutional. So find a place and ask for it to be done. If they listen to you, great! If not, fucking report them up the ass for violation of your rights and policy issues.

No I did mine on my own

Im in Kentucky my husband and i agreed i needed my tubes tied… But dr never asked him for permission

In Georgia, you do. They wouldn’t let me get it done without my husband’s signature after I had my second.

2 Likes

Not anymore you don’t specially if you have at least one of each sex I’m pregnant with my 3rd and thought I’d need it to get mine done after baby is here which my husband was ok with it anyhow but I didn’t

I live in PA had mine done in 1989 I didn’t need his premission

Until men have to go through what we do I dont believe they have a say. Like I get it they’re our spouse but it’s my body. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

No you do not need permission to

2 Likes

Nope. Got my tubes tied after my 3rd c section 4 months ago. Husband was right there they asked me if I was 100 percent sure and he was questioning me in the operating room and I said 1000 percent sure. She disregarded what he was saying and did it right then, no more said.

Wait. Is there really a place that you would need permission from your husband to have your tubes tied?

2 Likes

Where I live u have to be of a certain age have more then 1 biological child OR ur spouse to sign off on it saying he agrees to u getting it done and ur not denying him the opportunity to be a father

I’m in Georgia and didn’t need my husband’s permission :woman_shrugging:

I am 25 with 3 kids, this a decision i talked about with my Husband but ultimately my doctor said it is MY decision and no one else’s. However, my husband was open to whatever decision i felt was best for my body.

1 Like

Maybe in some states. You need to look up the laws in your state.

I’m in Idaho and Drs don’t need my husband consent .

Or call the doctors office

No absolutely not! It’s not his body!!! Your husband’s feelings may get hurt and you may argue but it’s still your body!!!

Depends where you live. It’s the law in some states to have consent from both and other’s you don’t.

Absolutely not! It’s your body. Your choice. You tie them if that’s what you want.

I am in New York also I didn’t need my husbands consent when I got mine done after my second child and it was his first child (second marriage for me) I was 30 years old

If he doesnt want you to get your tubes tied, then he can get a vasectomy :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

If you do it behind his back, he’s not your husband, he’s your lover!

1 Like

You do not need his consent, though some doctors have pause as they don’t want to contribute to marital issues. After my second, I wanted mine done, but my husband had pause, so my doctor offered to still do it- just 6 months pp… we agreed we would regroup on the topic in 1 year, however…ended up wanting a third, and now actually having a tubal at delivery and a hysterectomy 6 months pp. I respect your husbands position, but it’s your body and your life. I think 10 months pp is a more than fair amount of time for you to have assessed and be incredibly confident in your choice. It’s a tricky area to navigate, and I hope you guys can come to a compromise very soon!

My husband had to sign a paper but that was 8 years ago so idk if its changed now but it might also have to do with where youre from. Tell him to get a vasectomy instead :smirk: its easily reversible and less invasive surgery, since hes being hardheaded :wink: lol

My husband didn’t have to sign when I had mine done. Maybe it depends on the dr. I wouldn’t continue to see one that insisted on my husbands permission, not because he wasn’t on board, but because I wouldn’t want a dr that didn’t respect my decision to make my own choices about my body.

2 Likes

No. No one has the right to dictate what you do with your body unless there’s a legal document in place (such as a will, POA etc) in the event that you cannot make decisions on your own. Most doctors recommend discussing it with your spouse, but ultimately it’s 100% YOUR choice

I dont think so but my husband just got snipped in California and I had to sign saying I was ok with it so I’d say every state is different plus insurance companies might and might not

You shouldn’t have to but ask your doctor.

Umm no it’s your body your choice

I am in NY as well and have a 10 month old ,11 yr ,10 yr and 6 yr olds all girls . didn’t need my husbands consent

I think it depends on the regulations your doctor follows. I live in KY and just got an ablation and my tubes removed. I have 1 kid and I’ll be 24 this month. Yet my sons godmom had issues getting hers done 7 years ago after having 3 kids. Talk to your doctor, I think ultimately it depends on the regulations they follow. I don’t think your husband has any say in it but I would talk to him to prevent any problems.

Why would you go behind his back and do something major?? That will just cause a LOT of problems. Have you asked him why he doesn’t want you to do it? You 2 need to have a serious talk and work it out

3 Likes

Where I’m from in Missouri, in order for a doctor to tie your tubes you have to be a certain age, married and have your husbands approval! I think it ridiculous because it’s your body!

2 Likes

Your the patient, so no you don’t need your husband’s permission. He might not like it, but it’s your body. You don’t want more kids, then you have that right to choose for yourself.

Nope it’s your body as reproductive system but I would discuss it with him before just doing it what if you or him want more down the road if you just do it it could potentially be devastating for you

As far as I’m aware you dont need permission for this.
But you should both speak about this, it’s a life changing decision and husband needs to be part of it.
Tell him you want to do it. And you will not have any more babies and give him time to get his head around it before you do it.

Tbh with everyone saying No and its ur body etc. do u really Want to go behind his Back??

1 Like

I am in Ohio and have my surgery scheduled for the end of the month. My doctor asked nothing at all about my husband. He said if I say I am done then he would do the surgery. You just need someone to take u and pick you up from the surgery so if not your husband u need someone else lined up.

I am getting my tubes tied after this baby I’m
Having in March and my husband didn’t have to sign anything only me… but he’s also getting snipped next week so we are double
Protected! We have 4 kids after this baby in March

You do not need his consent.

its going to cause issues in your marriage but No you dont need permission If he expresses his opinion the dr could opt out.

I believe that the future of your family is something you and your husband should talk about but you all deserve autonomy over your body. You do not need legal consent from him here in the US. It’s your body. But relationship wise, you two need to be sure together of your best options

I’d pray for our hearts to be on the same page. Whether it’s another baby or not. Lying and going behind his back will only cause issues and mistrust.
“The house don’t fall when the bones are good!” Be strong together. Not separate!

In Minnesota you do but every state is different

After 3 kids you can ask and not need husbands permission

1 Like

I don’t think you need his permission or approval. But why would you want to do it without him, that just seems like an argument that could easily be avoided and talked through to a compromise first.

It’s not about asking permission. you’re a team and a married couple and he does have a say in whether or not you have more children. what’s the difference if he went and got snipped behind your back knowing you wanted more children? You would be OK with him making that choice for you?

3 Likes

Your body, your decision!

You definitely need to BOTH AGREE on you getting it done. Cause how would you feel if he went behind your back and got a vasectomy and didn’t tell you, knowing you wanted more kids

You probably don’t, but personally I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that without my husband being on the same page. I would hate if my got a vasectomy behind my back knowing I wasn’t sure if we were done having kids or not…

1 Like

I’d be sure your also 100 percent sure you don’t care if he leaves when he finds out. Sit down and talk. You don’t want to be home alone with three kids. I do understand though cause the worst thing a women can hear is a nonnegotiable no from a husband being a jerk. Make him listen.

um…its the year 2020 – your body, your choice!

1 Like

It’s illegal for the dr to refuse in grounds that husband does not want it. I’d tell him either he can support you in your choice to have your procedure, or choose to start giving you child support while you start the process of separation :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

You shouldn’t have to have your husband’s permission, I would sue if someone tried to require it. I would talk to my husband about it, but if you think he will try to force you not to get the surgery then just do it.

Not quite the same thing but I’m in TN and doc wanted my husband there to talk about getting a hysterectomy. I was 28 and we only had one child but I had problems. Doc still wanted husband and I to be in on conversation before we scheduled.

2 Likes

When I had my fourth baby in Mississippi I told them I wanted to but my husband didn’t want to they told me HE had to sign a paper stating he wanted it done otherwise I couldn’t … so in Ms you do have to have your husbands “permission”

1 Like

Instead of permanently making it to where you can’t have children try birth control, you tell yourself everyday you’re done having children but soon you’ll want to. Take it from me I had no choice and wish to this day that I was still able to have children. Talk it over with your husband but please consider other options first.

1 Like

Odd question… are the kids all the same gender? I know it shouldn’t matter but LOTS of people will “try” for a boy or girl one more time. Right or wrong ( I have 4 of the same gender) some men and women seem to want both genders in their brood

1 Like

You should be able to make that decision yourself…not your husband.

No they don’t need his permission.

Hell no not his body!

No, it’s not his body, not his choice. You can discuss it with him but in the end, it’s your choice.

Whether you do or don’t is between you and your doctor not your husband. It’s your body not his. While I agree with some previous commenters that it will cause problems in your marriage if you do it with out him agreeing, it’s still your choice. Maybe tell him one of you has to do it. So either you get your tubes tied or he does. Either way one of you has to. Maybe that will help. Idk hard place to be.

You don’t need permission. But I would not be able to make a permanent decision like that against my husbands wishes. To me it would be no different if I wanted kids and he didn’t and he went to get a vasectomy. In my opinion that’s not the way to win the argument.

1 Like

Like everyone else is saying I’m pretty sure you can do it without consent, I was able to 6 years ago, but I would still tell him before getting it done. I had mine done about 9 months postpartum. And although it would be nice to get him to understand your point of view and come to terms with it before you do it, in the end it should be your final call. Trust me that’s important. I was with my ex-husband when I had mine, and he said he didn’t care either way, but he’s been out of our children’s lives for 4 years now. And I’m glad I didn’t have anymore by him he was a narcissist, sometimes abussive, control freak, who is no longer in their lives. However, I’m remarried now, and I have to live with the fact that I can never have a kid by my husband now, so luckily he already has kids. Not to be a Debbie downer, but in the end you have to weigh the pros and cons for you and your children.

1 Like

This was many years ago when you needed permission, no you do not need permission

My husband did have to sign mine along with myself :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I’m 28. I was single with one child and had mine removed in July. I live in Iowa. Your body. You do what you want.

You don’t need permission from your husband to have the procedure done but what is his reasoning on you not doing it - nothing will change as far as intimacy is concerned if that is what he is worried about And you know your body and your limit on children has he asked you about that - before doing it I would sit down with him and have a true heart to heart over it and see if you can agree on the procedure I would hate to see it mess up your relationship if you do it without him giving his blessing and understanding. Good luck sweetie.

1 Like

Depends on your state, age and if you have a boy & girl

Hell no! Punch his balls!

I’m in NC. My friend just had to go to Mexico to get an endometrial ablation due to endometriosis, PCOS, and extremely heavy periods. Why didn’t she have it here you ask? Under 25, not married, and no live children. She doesn’t want any. But could NOT get it done here. So who controls whose body??? And unless the laws have changed here, a woman needs her husband’s permission to get her tubes tied but he doesn’t need his wife’s for a vasectomy.

1 Like

No they don’t in New York

Umm don’t need husband’s permission for anything it’s your body :rage:

1 Like

First of all it’s your body. Second of all you are not a slave or property, your husband does not own you. You do what is best for you and your body… Women did not go through years of fighting for equality, just to have people wonder if they can do surgeries without their husbands permission :joy::roll_eyes::thinking:

New York State you don’t need anyone’s permission except your own !!

1 Like

Only 3 states still require a husbands permission , Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia. That said some doctor’s will still try and talk you out of it or imply they should speak with your husband. Remind them of hippa and have it noted in your chart in writing ( ask to see it) that they arent to disclose or discuss sterilization to or infront of husband. Most states do require the surgery take place 30-180days after signing consent form. Here’s the consent form for your state .

3 Likes

Talk to your doctor. Some doctors/hospitals will not do the procedure without consent.

It depends on the doctor/facility. Some DO Require it.

For all yall saying your body your choice you obviously dont know how it is for a lot of areas. I was denied because I’m unmarried, under 35,and I have less than 3 kids. Educate yourselves before commenting.

2 Likes

No his premission is not needed

Your body your choice

1 Like

I dont think so. I didnt in Va, I am my third,married and definitely done. They never asked me if mine was okay with

You should at least talk it thru with him, but when the time comes to make the decision, it is 100% your decision. It’s your body and he cant make you do or not do something u wanna do.

My husband had to have me there & to sign off on his vasectomy…

1 Like

Depends on the state. I might be the odd ball out but you and him need to talk about it. Again. If you are stuck on not wanting more… you still need to talk to him. Sure it’s your body but you’re married… his feelings matter as well. Let him tell you exactly why he doesn’t want you to. Communication is key. A lot of marriages suffer when it comes to things like this because both partners are stubborn and don’t even want to listen. If you want your marriage to work… talk to him. Don’t demand things… and act as if you’re in control. It is for better or worse… work/talk it out. People here are no help to you… including myself… we don’t know every single detail… talk to him and maybe even attempt counseling :heart: you two are not understanding each other’s point of view and reasoning. It will be tough I’m sure but if you two are not abusive to each other or one or the other, id say stay and work through it. Good luck momma :heart:

2 Likes

Nope nope. Not in NY. I got done when I was 32. Husband didn’t want me to get it done but I do what I want lol. I is fertile lmao so it was a good decision.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say you need permission, but I think he should be included in the decision.

1 Like

Wow, most people seem really pissed about this. I wonder how the opinions would change if the poster said “my husband got a vasectomy without even talking to me about it first”.

5 Likes

Do you not live in the United States?? Are you over the age of 18?? Are you mentally competent?? If you answer yes to these questions, you are a free woman. Out of respect, you might discuss the issue with your husband, but his permission is not necessary.

4 Likes

No you don’t need your husband permission to do anything …especially when it comes to your body …I’m in NY too …and I have talked to my doctor about it and not once did he say I needed my husband permission to do it

1 Like

This would be entirely your decision but if you do this without talking to your husband and going behind his back you may find yourself without a husband.
I know if my husband went and got a vasectomy without me knowing I would leave him.
Plus every small surgery has the risk of complications.

2 Likes