Do kids need to go to preschool?

Do kids need to go to pre school? my husbands family is literally coming for me because i did not enroll our 4 year old…they say he NEEDS it…so what happens to your kid if you do not send them?

74 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Do kids need to go to preschool?

You need to be teaching them everyday at home and having play dates for socializing then if you don’t

4 Likes

Nope. 5 yr old in Kinder, knows just as much if not more than the ones that attended prek

2 Likes

I never sent my 3 I was at home and by the time they were in kindergarten they knew their name address phone number colors shapes tie their own shoes etc…

4 Likes

Yes to learn social competence with children of thier own age and independence away from you. Children who are with thier parents all the time and don’t get social time with other children will be socially awkward as they go up and most develop separation anxiety, making it hard for them when they start school

6 Likes

It’s good for them, but it’s not NEEDED. Some kids actually get their education from home, and don’t even do public schools.

5 Likes

Well they get behind on learning and interaction with other kids. Preschool starts at 3 year old preschool then 4 year old preschool. They definitely need it. So when they start kindergarten they aren’t behind. Kids can be cruel.

2 Likes

No they don’t! My daughter never went and she just started kindergarten and she’s doing great!! Making friends and loving every second of it. She is also learning so much!

4 Likes

Depends on where you live. Here in CT preschools not required. Neither of my kids, attended preschool & have been perfectly fine.

Depends what state you live in what the compulsory age is. But this day in age they can’t usually just show up to Kindergarten and be prepared, they need the year of prek4 before K to learn what they expect them to know for K. I live in NY. They go full days 5 days a week for prek 4 and it’s great and they need it. Would not do well showing up for K without the year of Prek4. They’re learning allllllll sorts of things

1 Like

Mhm depends,
It all really depends on what you do at home with your kid like any learning, counting words writing etc,
Does he go out and have play dates ( social skills ) ?
I feel like if your kid has enough of this at home then no they don’t need to go but if they are missing out then yes they should

1 Like

It’s not required but it does help them

Not necessary if they are well socialized. My kid needed it. She’s an only and it made a huge difference

1 Like

Idk if they absolutely NEED it, but it’s beneficial so why not? They’re more prepared for kindergarten. My 3 (almost 4) year old started pre-k this week, and he loves being around the other kids and all the stuff they’re doing. The socialization and help with transitioning into structured classes is indispensable to him. He will be a better adjusted kindergartener and less upset about having to have class time instead of play time when he starts school since preschool is the bridge between play time and class time.

4 Likes

My son never went but my daughter is in pre-k now. From what I’ve seen, they only teach them what they should already know from home but that’s just my opinion. I probably would’ve kept her out if I would’ve known beforehand. It’s not a needed class here.

Nope. My son didn’t and is in 2nd grade reading 4th grade level almost :woman_shrugging:

No but it definitely helps. My son went to preschool and never really struggled in Kindergarten and school in general but my daughters both did and they did not go to preschool.

1 Like

None of my 3 went :woman_shrugging:

From our personal experience we sent our youngest to prek and once he was in kindergarten he didn’t wanna do any of his work because in prek they spent time playing they didn’t actually do any work

Preschool is more for their social development. It does help tremendously. My oldest stepdaughter didn’t go but all the other kids have and you can see a light and day difference. Socially and academically.

7 Likes

I say yes they do. For socialization. For growth. To learn how to function in a school environment and learn structure (line up, recess, sharing with others, nap time). To learn how to take instruction from someone else of authority besides their parents. Most importantly, to learn … but I always taught my son at home too.

1 Like

I don’t believe they NEED to but it is a smart idea, to prepare them for school if u don’t have time to do it on your own time ( I have 3 kids, two 3y and one almost year) such as I don’t have time to so I added both my 3y in to a preschool and they will be going next year to. Plus nice a little break for this tired mama :blush:

At least here where I live preschool was super expensive it’s like glamorized daycare.

No they don’t… our older 2 did not. We could not accommodate the preschool schedule with our work schedules! They were 2 years apart. We were able to do everything we could at home for them! Our oldest knew all of his letters by age 2 :joy: They socialized through playgrounds, different outings, started them in soccer around 4. They both were evaluated for gifted and talented classes. And are straight A students in 5th and 3rd grade currently!

Our current youngest is 3 and we enrolled him in a 2 day preschool so he could be around more kids his age since we have such a large age gap! Our work schedules allow it and we are having our last baby this October.

They will be just fine without it honestly!

I have a first grader and I think so. School has changed and gotten so much more intense than when I was growing up. Not only academically, but if they don’t go to preschool they are often behind socially and as far as understanding how a classroom operates and how to follow directions from a teacher, someone other than mom and dad. The simplest things you’d think come naturally don’t always and they don’t usually adapt as easily as those who went to pre-k.

It’s not required but very beneficial for the child

2 Likes

I feel it’s needed for social skills, helps with any detachment issues, teaches structure and schedule because let’s face it a full school day 4-5 days a week is long if they aren’t familiar with it. I also feel it helps with independence and the ability to follow directions.

10 Likes

It’s helpful. Kindergarten is so much more than it use to be. Kids are expected a lot more. I have 4 now adult kids. Never sent them. My granddaughter however just started. She loves it.
Many day cares offer part time , like a few hours a day. If you just want to keep your baby home this one last year Check out the Kindergarten curriculum in your area and start lessons s at home. Do play dates with others kids same age. The choice ultimately yours, do what YOU feel is best for your baby.

2 Likes

If you are a pro-active parent, no your child absolutely does not need preschool. You should have them saying their ABC’s, counting to 20, spelling their name, reading basic words and able to tie their own shoes by the time they go to kindergarten though, at absolute minimum.

8 Likes

I’ve found with my 5 kids ( my oldest didn’t go) that its much easier for them in kindergarten if they have had pre school experience…some kindergarten teachers are brutal in ny and really expect them to know…pre school definitely prepares them for that

3 Likes

I enrolled my 3 year old last year. He turned 4 in Oct. he LOVED it. This year I enrolled my 3 year old and he starts in a couple weeks. Next year my 2 year old will go with him for a year :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

In my opinion it does causes difficulty in not enrolling them. It’s important for emotional, physical and mental development.

5 Likes

I think preschool is great. The social aspect teaches them how to interact with a lot of different children. I also believe, from experience, it makes the transition into Kindergarten that much easier. The kids that struggle with separation in kindergarten are in my experience kids that didn’t go to a version of pre-k

I sent my daughter to prek at 4 because she is an only child and no cousins so she never had to share and learn those social queues. . She needed to learn how to be in that environment and being around other adults giving her instruction.

1 Like

I knew someone that was a teacher for years she said that she could tell which children went to preschool and which ones didn’t based on their social skills. My daughter needs preschool because she is very behind in speech. I think most kids can adjust without it but I personally am happy my daughter is going. I think it’s a personal decision

I would even never send my kids to public school right now

2 Likes

In my state Kindergarten isn’t even required, much less pre-k. It may be beneficial to some children, but some are just fine without it. None of my kids did pre-k but were in really good daycares that worked with them.

Yes, it’s necessary.

They do not NEED preschool. There is absolutely nothing wrong with waiting until a child is ready for Kindergarten.

As a matter of fact, in many states, kindergarten is not legally required and a child can officially start school in first grade.

4 Likes

It helps the kids with reading, and writing skills and social skills

My kids have never been in daycare or preschool and are fine and were fine when they started kindergarten

1 Like

They don’t need it. It’s completely optional. I only signed my kid up for it so that I could get more sleep and so that she could make more friends

1 Like

Every child is different. Won’t hurt will help! XO

Pre k didn’t do crap for me or any of my kids

It’s not required but I believe it does help the children to be more prepared for kindergarten.

It’s good for them to prepare for kindergarten! It will be less scary for them and will learn how school is … all my kids went to pre-school and they all loved it !

It’s a wonderful experience for them​:+1::smiling_face:

I think it helps sooooo much!

No !!! Little one start to school too early. Wait until they are close to 6
They are ready and alot better in school.

It makes a huge difference

You know your child better than anyone. Preschool is not a bad thing & most children are fine without going. If your child doesn’t go you should work with your child on at least basic things like colors, shapes, writing their name, etc

I put my 3.5 yo in head start, best decision ever.
She is having so much fun. And refers to it as “I go to school to see MY FRIENDS!”
I was wary about it but so glad I did it.

4 Likes

I think it’s necessary

It’s not necessary, but it can key word can help your kid excel and be ready for kinder. You can do all of the things they do at home though don’t stress over it mama! My kids started at age 3. The school they went to had pre k 3 & 4. If you chose to keep your kid home another year that’s fine!

As long as you teach your child basics like ABCs, days of the week, how to count to 20, and how to write their first and last name, your child really does not NEED preschool. However, I have heard it is extremely hard for a child to adjust to kindergarten if they go straight to kindergarten from being at home.

3 Likes

Your child doesn’t need it but it is better for them to go. Same states like TN requires kids to the entire alphabet and the sounds they make before going into kindergarten and they also need to know how to write thier name. It teaches them sharing, socializing, also they won’t be clingy during the first day either. It’s not okay to shame you for not enrolling your child though. It’s not required by law

Yes! Im a preschool teacher and times have changed! Kindergarten is so much harder if they haven’t been to school at all to know school expectations ie: how to line up and be quiet in the hallway, how to sit on the carpet crisscross applesauce or learn how to share, how to control their emotions, playing with other kids their age is so Important for their development!

2 Likes

My oldest went n he was super advanced going into kindergarten. My second went during Covid and it was rough and he didn’t know anything.

I work in a school and preschool is necessary for play time… kindergarten no longer has dress up… kitchen… house and toys thats important for kids to learn. Now at kindergarten they are expected to be in school. No toys like preschool mostly educational and learning. Most kindergarten nurse they really struggle because this is something that they are not used to so they are being thrown routine rules and education all at once instead of play time and learning a routine

1 Like

It will help them in the long run im sure but I never sent my 9 year an shes doing great in school. I got 4 year old and I’m not sending him til kindergarten. I guess each to their own. Were.in wv.

She’s not “learning” school lessons but she’s practically a pandemic baby and never got to go to the playground or hang out with other kids. She needed this.

1 Like

Its required where I live and i think its very beneficial to the child for social and academic development

2 Likes

There are some that are only 2 days a week that’s what I did for my son and he was totally ready for kindergarten. I hear you though it’s like ppl are coming for me for not having my 3 year old in preschool smh lol. There are library activities and other parks and Rec etc things you can get them into!! Mahbe just to get them used to being in group things /pay attention to teachers and what not, people are right kindergarten isn’t what it used to be, where I am it’s full days , 5 days a week like damn . Why so much?!? None the less I tried to compensate keeping him home longer lol and so far no regrets at all.

I didn’t send either of my kids to preschool and they did fine. Both are smart, social and eager to learn.

4 Likes

My 4 yr old starts on Wednesday I’m doing it cause he needs help in certain areas of lead n helps with being with kids his own age I did it with my older 2 it’s a fun experience for them n helps with getting ready for kindergarten

You are the parent so do what you want for your child and tell you husband family to back off They already raised their child now it’s your turn without interference

1 Like

I didn’t sign mine up and he was eligible to go this year. We are just working on things at home. Some people obviously frown on that, but they’re only little once and I want all the time I can get with him.

5 Likes

No, they don’t. Quite frankly, some aren’t even ready at 5, and it’s ok to skip kindergarten too!

2 Likes

No, nothing… they go to kindergarten next.

Put on educational shows like PBS KIDS

1 Like

By law, you don’t have to send your child to preschool, the only reason I sent my boy was cause I knew it would help him with not being with me all the time and it was easier for him when he transitioned to kindergarten. But every kid is different, if you feel like he want ready for preschool, then that’s your choice, you know your child best

1 Like

I think ot helps them to adjust to the schooling and meeting other children and make friends. I think they like it. .y two boys went to headstart

1 Like

I sent my daughter this year we’ve been struggling to complete potty training and being in school is helping another she sees other kids her age going now she’s doing way better plus she loves her new friends

Pre school is not necessary or required. You can teach your child just as much at home. Some children learn better when it isn’t their parent teaching them and some do just fine learning at home. My kids didn’t go to pre school and they are all three very intelligent and do great in school.

I’ve only had 2 biological babes… with my first (now 13) I didn’t have much choice as a single mom but I think it was great for him, I wish he hadn’t had to stay so long 7:30am-5:30pm… now my second (3.5) just finished his first week and he’s loving it and it’s going to be such a great experience for him since he’s the baby by 10+ years in our family, I still feel like it’s a long time, but I know it’s so good for him to spend time with kids his age and play and learn and communicate, he goes 9am-3pm

Nope.
My child is 6 & has never spent a moment in child or daycare. Just the other day was the first time in a gym daycare for 45 mins while I was in a class.
He’s homeschooled too starting this year.
Don’t feel like you have to follow societies rules. You know your child better than ANYONE. listen to your own heart.

Good luck! :pray: I say this because I know what it’s like to go against what other people feel is “normal”. You’ll for sure ruffle feathers.

1 Like

There are no consequences if your child is not enrolled. You know your child best. Some people think it’s necessary. But a child can learn the same things at home as they can in preschool. There are many things you can take your child to do to socialize and play and learn. Whatever works best for your child when it comes to the comfort of learning and socializing, then do just that. Don’t let anyone so opinions make you feel obligated to do something you don’t want to when it comes to your child.

1 Like

If we can’t teach our own kids “preschool” level lessons we probably shouldn’t be parents. Your family is worried about something insignificant.

For reference my children have not attended preschool and both tested kindergarten level before kindergarten.

1 Like

We’re doing preschool at home cause of money and the age cut off. So mine will go to prek next year and then kindergarten in 2 years, turning 4 next week

2 Likes

We skipped pre k they Just started gr 1 and are doing fine

In Wisconsin we have 4k. Its Mon-fri usually half days and kindergarten is all day. My kids went to Preschool 2 times a week at age 3.

Nothing . Just work with ur child urself . So he/she will be ready kindergarten

1 Like

They still turn out perfectly fine. That’s what happens.

2 Likes

Me and my brothers never went, and neither did my daughter. my son won’t either.

Why wouldn’t you want to send them though? Gives them a jump start on kindergarten, socialization, everything?

3 Likes

He’s your child, don’t let anyone put you down for not sending YOUR child to preschool. He will be just fine!

3 Likes

It’s not mandatory in my state. My daughter is 3 and she starts preschool this year. And will go again next year. This year is only 2 days a week for 3 hours. I think it will be good for to socialize with other kiddos her age. Learn to share and being away from home.

Nothing happens…you dont have to but its good for socializing and getting him ready for school

2 Likes

I sent mine 2 years (Head start) because I knew it would help her tremendously to know just what to expect for kindergarten.

It helps them to get them ready for kindergarten.

Pre-K teacher here! :wave:t2: It isn’t required, and I suppose it isn’t necessary for everyone. I t isn’t all about academics either. A big part of preschool is for children to learn to socialize with others, both peers and adults. It gives them the opportunity to build relationships and to seek out their own independence. They learn routines and it helps them build stamina for when they get into elementary school….school is exhausting!
We also work with children on developing things like fine motor skills. For example, there is a lot of work that goes in to developing those tiny hand muscles so that they can properly and effectively hold a crayon or other writing utensil with a 3-point grip.
School is really about educating the child as a whole…academically, emotionally, physically. This is especially true in early childhood education.
(I will also add that I have taught pre-k through 6th grade, so I have experience in different ages/levels and this is my honest explanation of the importance of getting kids in to school early (preferably in a 1/2 day program if that’s an option.)

8 Likes

Not at all. I have a 3 year old on the spectrum and we have absolutely no plans of enrolling him in prek. He still needs to be “worked” with a little bit more before we feel he’s ready. We’ve also toyed around with homeschooling him at least the first few years, while our other two go to normal school. At the end of the day, you know your kid best.

1 Like

Kids don’t HAVE to go. But I would really wholeheartedly recommend that they do. I’m studying to be a teacher my degree is in early childhood education (not claiming to be an expert on child Development but i have been studying it for a few years) & the research behind the benefits of preschool is amazing. What it does for them developmentally helps to prepare them for kindergarten academically & socially. It also shows to benefit kids way beyond that! Off the top of my head I can’t remember the exact statistics but children that attend preschool are more likely to graduate high school, be more confident, make more friends from that confidence, read at a higher level all through school, there is so many good benefits!

10 Likes

Well my 15 year old did not go to preschool and she’s a fantastic child with good grades. My 2nd and 3rd went to prek and my 2nd got 4 referrals last year, My 3rd forgets anything you tell her 2 seconds later but has amazing grades and my 4th just started so idk how it’s going yet :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Let your little one experience it and if he don’t want to go back keep him out. But right now with the crazy world and all the weirdest with the government. I would keep my 4 year at home. Your momma so you do what you think is best. Talk to Jesus Christ about it.

1 Like

My first 3 went because they qualifed for help… My 4 yr old now can just probably just go straight to 12th grade with his 'tude… He’s going to Headstart because he didn’t qualify for help, because he’s ahead of his age bracket for stuff. If I wasn’t working or if I didn’t qualify for financial assistance he would just got to Kindergarten in '23.

I did not send mine, and I regret it! Even though we worked with her… she just wasn’t ready for kindergarten. Only child, she was socially behind- among other things. It’s saddening going in and seeing your child playing by theirselves and all the others playing together. If I could go back… I would’ve chosen half day pre k

Never sent mine and they both always excelled in school & recently graduated in honors. You can get them evaluated and they will provide a recommendation. Every child is different. Our state also does not require it. Some automatically transition to preschool if they attend daycare.

No, my son didn’t go to pre-school or Kindergarten. He started school in the first grade. I taught him how to read, write his name, a few simple sentences and some basic math. He could add and subtract 2 digit numbers. After an adjustment period he was just fine even learned a second language. He has always done well until last year in 7th grade he had a rough year. Not because he didn’t understand the material he did well on his tests but he didn’t turn in his homework on time or at all in some cases. :woman_shrugging:t5: As long as younwork with your baby he will do just fine.