Do kids need to go to preschool?

I work at a daycare so all my kiddos went to pre k at the daycare I work at so I don’t know the difference really cause they all went but it does help but you don’t have to send them but don’t feel bad if you don’t

I hate to say it but it helps them get used to the routine.

6 Likes

No and nothing happens to them. Just work with your child. I used our daily life as a guide to teaching. No issues at all when they entered school. As a matter of fact, one of my son’s teachers asked me if he had been to school previously. When I told her, No, her response was, I could tell because he’s focused and engaging. Most of my kids that have done the different pre-school levels are bored and over it my the time I get them (she taught 2nd grade).

My 8 year old never went to pre school but my 5 year old did and I’m putting my 4 year old back into it. They loved it for the most part.

Nothing. We didn’t do preschool. I think if your kid has trouble socializing, following simple directions from people other than their parents, dont know how to be away from their parents etc. then its probably a good idea. Some kids benefit from preschool, not because they weren’t taught correctly by their parents or because there is something wrong, they’re just excelling at certain things and need to work on others. Other kids may excel at things that will be required in kinder but other kids need some work outside the home. Perfectly normal. Preschool/prek is just to help them make kinder easier.

1 Like

Tbh. My kids never went. My youngest probably won’t either. I was because it was the thing but I don’t see the point

Absolutely not. My son didn’t go to kindergarten until he was 6 and he is #1 in his class, he’s been to 5 schools and continues to be top in his grade no matter what. It depends on the kid, but f that. You’re the momma and you know best!!!

It’s not required but I found it helpful for my daughter. It got her in the routine of going to school and used to be around children her age.

It’s not a necessity for a child to go to preschool, but it does help them develop social and emotional skills and to interact with their peers. You can try a headstart program. it’s a program that helps them get ready for kindergarten. They follow a school schedule. There’s no harm in trying preschool or even a Mother’s day out program for a few days a week. If you don’t like it, then you can say at least you gave it a shot! Good Luck!

3 Likes

I recommend it. Kindergarten requires them to read to go to 1st grade. It helps get a jump start

1 Like

My son never went to pre-school but he was a school bus baby (I’m a school bus driver) so he still socialized alot. Even though the pre-k program was much cheaper than daycare I still couldn’t afford it at the time. When he finally went to kindergarten he was SLIGHTLY behind with writing and fine motor skills but after a few weeks of full day kindergarten he was up to normal level with the other kids and was even above average with reading and sight words than alot of his classmates by the end of the school year.
My daughter started Pre-K at 3 years old and did alot of things faster than my son spelling her name and writing/tracing, cutting, coloring; fine motor skills).

Even though they both had different experiences they are both doing just fine and at normal levels for their ages. I can say preschool was a great experience and it also gives you a little bit of mom time. Kids deffinatley benefit from it but I don’t regret not sending my first born… it is what it is, do what makes you feel more comfortable.

1 Like

I didn’t send my oldest. I taught her all she needed to know at home. Her kindergarten teacher was impressed and wanted to know where she went to head start. Lol. Most elementary schools offer Pre-K. My son started in Pre-K 3. I worked in the school at the time. It’s not required in the U.S. .

All 7 of mine went to preschool. They loved coming home beaming with pride at the art they did that day or how they could say new numbers in a row. Talking about their friends. Each day was an adventure. Im a qualified teacher as well as an early childhood educator. The experience your child will get from preschool will depend how much the staff and environment suit your child.

All 5 of my kids have gone to preschool. None of them went into kindergarten prepared and 2 of them ended up in DK or young 5s
Honestly it’s fun to get them used to the schedule of going to school and socializing but it’s more a glorified daycare if you ask me.

You should put them in preschool if you can afford it! It makes a huge difference in their education I can promise you that

1 Like

My daughter went to pre school and pre K and I will be sending my son also. Helps them adjust and learn to be around kids their age and interact also….

My first 2 kids did went to preschool for 2 years. Because of my ex husband forbidden my kids to social with other kids, go school, didn’t want them to be smart than him, and my kids begged to go school everyday so I let them secretly. They did great. My other 2 kids didn’t go preschool because they were too smart for preschool and their education were advanced they went kindergarten they were so bored in there because they knew a lot of stuff they were 2 to 3 grade above. Preschool is option if the kids are delayed or have trouble learning or social skills. If your kids are advanced and know a lot of stuff then just send them to kindergarten class

Yes! Pre-k is like kindergarten now.

4 Likes

I think it helps a lot going into kindergarten. Unless you are going be very hands on and teach him at home.

3 Likes

I have 3 kids… my oldest never went to preschool or pre-k … my middle kiddo went to pre-k… my youngest went to both and just started kindergarten… I’ve noticed between my 3 a huge difference… with not going, only going one year and going both years… it’s honestly up to you as a parent… but if you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

1 Like

Neither of mine did. Make sure they know their alphabet, numbers to 20-100, can write their name and do sight words (I think it’s 20).

But why couldn’t HE enroll HIS child?

My son goes just because he’s on the spectrum and they offer speech and occupational therapy there. But it’s not a need

They don’t NEED it.
I put my son in preschool from age 3 to 4 because he is a rambunctious little guy and I thought it would help him put his energy into more constructive things instead of fighting with his little sister all day.

I pulled him out and he isn’t going to go back until kindergarten though because he was constantly bringing home germs and getting the whole house sick.

No lol.
They really don’t need to go till grade 1

They should go to preschool

They don’t HAVE to go to preschool. If you can teach them the basics before they hit kindergarten and you’re good. I put mine in preschool for the learning the basics since I worked and also for the social skills… But it’s not necessary. It’s a parent’s choice

2 Likes

No…Unless you’re a complete disaster of a parent and it would be best to get the child away from you as much as possible…

Bump their thoughts on this subject. It’s your child. However you will need to teach your child and prepare them for grade school. There are tons of ways to help your child learn the basics and more early. My first child went to preschool but my second didn’t. The only difference in how they have progressed is that they have different learning styles. You know your child. So follow your gut feeling

Yes they need it they are expecting kids to know the alphabet and numbers plus write their name before starting kindergarten.

3 Likes

My two oldest didn’t go, it was harder in kindergarten than my youngest who did go. If you choose to keep them home, I think social interactions are a must, listening, following rules, etc. I was just subbing kindergarten first week it was rough for those kids. Some have all day kindergarten now. I think having them get used to structure for a bit in preschool it will definitely help them in kindergarten.

I believe they do need at least a year of preschool. It makes the transition easier, better prepares them for what’s to come . Helps with structure and routine.

1 Like

No lol my daughter is second grade and never been in a public school. Mine are homeschooled and it’s honestly so unnecessary for any kid under 5 to leave the home and go to school for several hours a day. Don’t let people push you into things your not comfortable with.

1 Like

Nope, my eldest didn’t ever attended daycare or preschool (just wasn’t an interest at the time and I felt not needed) and he’s advanced in all areas of his schooling.

I guess it’s a personal opinion but the ones I’ve seen that didn’t go were more behind and struggling compared to the ones that went. It helps them with social skills, and age appropriate tasks to get them ready for kindergarten

1 Like

If you don’t send your kid to preschool, he will sprout 8.more arms and 4 more legs. He will go blind and his hair will fall out. He will not be able to taste food or chew anything. He will start wetting the bed and desire to be carried on your hip and possibly breast fed. He will also communicate entirely through grunts and screams, no words.

Obviously…

1 Like

So I’m a preschool teacher. Preschool is a great thing to get them ready for kindergarten but absolutely not required. The main thing if they don’t go is that you are teaching them the basics at home at least and socializing them. Honestly most children in my area go to preschool bc their parents need childcare.

1 Like

They don’t HAVE to go, we missed it for our first an Kindergarten was a struggle for her. She wasn’t use to the school routine and things that are integrated in preschool.

We enrolled my son in preschool and that helped him transition well into school I believe.

Could be because he is the second child and saw his sister already go to school but either way I believe it did help tremendously.

1 Like

They go to kindergarten. Your fine. I had one go and one didn’t they are both very good kids

There are many reasons to do so— but is unfair to the child to be put in a classroom where he is a year behind to start with. Many skills are taught in a good preschool. This is the best time to send a child- they are so eager to learn and it helps them socially

Yes. It’s important in terms of social interactions and preparedness for kindergarten. They’re expected to know a lot more than when we were kids.

It is very helpful in many ways but you don’t have to put them in. My eldest only did 1year instead of two and when I was a kid my parents didn’t send me because of something that happened and they pulled my sister out her 2nd year. I wl say it has helped my daughter with being shy she is the most outgoing lite girl ever but as long as you keep them interacting with other kids and help them learn abcs and 123s at home you honestly for need to send them. It is suggested but not mandatory

1 Like

No I enrolled my son oldest but he didn’t make it pass 2 weeks but my youngest was okay with going to school. I mean it’s good for them to learn alot more but you can always teach your child at home

2 Likes

Not their kids, not their business!! END OF STORY!

1 Like

No they do not . I felt guilty when my child started kindergarten, feeling I failed her . Before her sister was born I spent so much time teaching her things then she came and that kind of stopped . She went to kinder not knowing anything and excelled ! I was also told that kinder is actually not a requirement! Keep that in mind as well . Your child will do just fine with or without .

1 Like

Your child will be behind all the other kids.

2 Likes

It’s really great in helping to build social skills and understanding a structured environment, but it’s not required by any means.

1 Like

They just need to know certain things before they can start kindergarten they don’t have to go but it does help them learn the routines and helps prepare them better for school… but if you have a child that has problems listening or following directions it could take longer for them to adjust if you wait til they’re 5 or 6

1 Like

You don’t absolutely have to. But I would work hard on teaching colors, shapes, number and letter recognition. How to count to 100. I would teach your child some word recognition. Even see what you can do about encouraging your child to read simple words… get some simple short books that your child thinks look good and read those books to your child and teach what words are name words and which ones are action words. That sort of thing. If you don’t really get that kind of stuff, go ahead and put your child in preschool. For one thing, socialization is important… and learning to sit through lessons will help a ton in kindergarten.

You might want to check your state’s law regarding the mandatory age to attend school. In my state, children between the ages of 6 and 17 are required by law to attend school.

1 Like

Totally up to you. My kiddo never went and I don’t regret it at all. He did wonderful in kindergarten. Teach them at home and it will be fine.

1 Like

Tell them they’re the ones that need to go and grow up!!!

No they don’t have to. Tell them to mind their business

Pre school is more about social skills and learning routines being away from home ect. It’s more laid back then kindergarten.

No! Not necessary. My 2 never went to a daycare or preschool. They are testing well above their peers and adapted to the classroom environment with no issues.

Legally, no but it will 100% help them get ready for K.

Neither of my kids went to preschool and are both in kindergarten now and are doing amazing! I’ve taught them a lot though so they already know most things they are learning in school.

I bought and taught my granddaughter a curriculum since she was three. It was a struggle for me to decide what she needed most. I decided headstart was the best choice for her. She knew enough that I felt she was just missing the social and emotional side she could get from headstart and learning through play. She just started kindergarten, she can count to 100 and recognize most numbers, she knows her upper and lower case numbers,. She knows how to grow plants, does word search puzzles for grown up, can complete a 100 piece puzzle in no time… Plus she is kind.
Pre-K wasn’t for her and she is thriving now.

I don’t know where everyone is from, but I’m from pa preschool is not a requirement but speaking from being a preschool teacher it would help them tremendously if they went to some type of program. Not just for the early learning part but for the social part as well. The transition to kindergarten will be so much easier and will help with there learning. I have seen kids struggle who have not been in a program. But ultimately it’s the parents decision.

They don’t… I decided to homeschool my 4yr old through k12 stride. It’s great. Maybe you can look into it if your husband wants her doing schooling. It’s all online and she has a teacher and all.

My son did N I thought was good for him

Yes before kindergarten they need that social skill it’s good for them to get used to new kids and new people

It helps. Immensely. Socially and cognitively. I only put my oldest child in for one year and he struggled with kindergarten where as my younger two did two years of preschool. They were like bye mom and teachers say they did very well. It’s your personal choice but I chose to.

1 Like

Nothing. But why are you against it?

Will your child have a head start if they go to preschool? Yes. Will your child be fine & get caught up to speed pretty quickly in kindergarten? Also yes. You do what you think is best.

2 Likes

I personally feel it depends on where the child is developmentally. Where I live, it isn’t required to send them. I didn’t go to preschool. Some of my friends kids didn’t get sent, per parents choice. I sent my oldest because I personally felt like he could benefit from it. Not every child will be like that though. It’s what you feel is best and you know your child best!

I sent my son for the social aspect academically he was already ready for kindergarten but he was really shy and not very good at playing with other children because he’s an only child. But if you don’t think he needs it then he doesn’t need it it’s up to you I would certainly make sure they’re ready for kindergarten though

Nothing they do just fine…

They don’t have to. My daughter did not but we put our son in pre school because he needed to learn how to behave around other kids.

1 Like

You can teach them everything they learn in preschool at home… you can socialize your child, with play groups, friends and family…

1 Like

I taught my kids at home what they would need for kindergarten. I do wish I could have sent my son for the socializing but he wasn’t talking until about 4 1/2 but he did catch on quick and he knew what he needed for kindergarten was actually ahead of some of the others that went to preschool. My daughter didn’t go and she did great.
What happens you ask, nothing. You teach them and take them on play dates yourself. Not the end of the world.

Nothing happens but Having friends and learning new things is fun and gets them prepared for kindergarten

They don’t NEED preschool. Is it good for them and better prepares them for kindergarten? Yes!

My grandson didn’t go to preschool and you can tell he is socially stunted than other kids in his kindergarten class who were in preschool.

The choice is yours, but think about your child.

My son never went to preschool. He’s now entering 5th grade and is doing fine. He has never been behind in anything academically nor has he ever needed any assistance in school. Aside from being nervous about going to school, he was fine. My daughter went though. There is literally no difference in how either of them adjusted to going to school. She was just as nervous as he was to start kindergarten, and like him adjusted very well.

Why would u not send em to pre school gets em ready for school personally I think thats just silly

I sent my son but he has adhd and was worried how he’d do. but not my daughter, she’s a rule follower and she’s doing just fine

Yes, it’s good social outlet for them. Not to mention they learn good things😁

I plan on home schooling my daughter and she’s not going to preschool

You teach them at home

Preschool teacher here to say nope it’s absolutely not necessary as long as they have an attentive parent who focuses on necessary milestones and skills and properly socializing them.

4 Likes

It’s not necessary, but it will help the child transition into school easier.

So long as you teach your child everything they should be learning prior to kindergarten than you do not need preschool. But I think it helps with socializing and manners, cooperation, independence.

Nothing happened to mine. She started kindergarten this year. She literally was not allowed to do preschool because of the pandemic. Where we lived at that time said only special needs and low income (less than 20k/year). We didn’t qualify. We’ve had no problems so far :woman_shrugging:t3: we do a lot of curriculum type workbooks and games at home on our own though.

1 Like

In some areas pre k is based on income. My 4 year old could not go because my husband makes to much money.

My oldest didn’t go to pre k. She’s in 4th grade now and she’s doing just fine. :woman_shrugging:t2: honestly I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Is that like kinder garden? If so Two of my kids didn’t do that and one went half way threw the year.

tbh, if it isnt state law, you technically dont have to send them to pre-k. its more like a jump start half day year to get ready for kindergarten @ 5 yrs old.

Mine didn’t go, he started his first day of kindergarten yesterday. If your attentive and have constructive playtime and activities with him then he will be fine.

My nephew was too advanced for preschool so it’s not for everyone

I have 4 children. My 2 older ones went, my younger 2 didn’t because I couldn’t afford it and didn’t qualify for the other ones. Zero difference in learning ability or social skills

4 Likes

In some states it’s not even required lol Oklahoma is one of them!

It helps them get used to being with other kids and helps them learn and be prepared for kindergarten

Only my middle child went to preschool, she had a speech delay, it’s the only reason she went and now she’s in 2nd grade and excelling. My oldest never went and she just started 6th grade with all honors classes. My youngest just started kindergarten but can already write her name, knows her numbers and letters, can even do some math problems. I worked with them at home and encouraged them to read to eachother. Every kid is different.

1 Like

Do what YOU want with your child :heart: all kids are so different & all families situations are different. :slightly_smiling_face:

Nothing happens I barely enrolled my daughter in 1st grade. I didn’t put her in preschool or kinder or any type of day care And nothing happened. I did how ever work with her at home but they say the law is involved in California up to 6 years of age so.

1 Like

Check with your state laws. Some states require it and will come after you for truancy. If not, and you are “schooling” your child at home, and you think they will succeed on the first day of kindergarten, then do what you feel is best.

I think it helped get our child away from the house for a half day, and learn to be without me, met new people, without having to spend 8 hours away.

It’s not required but it helps get them ready for school. Socializing and introducing them to age appropriate academic materials not to mention getting used to be away from home and mom. So I mean it’s not required but there really isn’t any cons besides the cost and if it interferes with your schedule.

1 Like

Nothing happens its just better for the child to go extra leg up on learning and being around other children. Depends on the state but I think Kindergarten might be mandatory but might be wrong.

It’s good for them to go. They learn social skills. Be with kids their age. And prepares them for kindergarten.

1 Like

Sometimes they screen children who didn’t go to some sort of preschool/daycare before kindergarten. This screening makes sure they know what they need to before entering kindergarten. If needed they go to a Pre-K program for a year. It’s more common for boys. The boy next door did this and his mom was very pleased and it helped him a lot. He started it when he would have started kindergarten. So technically he was always a year behind without having to repeat a year.

My kid didn’t go to preschool and he has some of the best test scores in his class. It is not essential. They’re better off with you IMO.

1 Like