Do you change your last name after a divorce?

I went back to my maiden name…

If i ever get a divorce, i will definitely change it back to my
maiden.

I have no children so I’m changing mine back to my maiden name.

Too much of a hassle to change back. And I’m not sure the government wouldn’t conveniently make a mistake on my social security somehow if did. So best not take chances :laughing:

Got rid of the man, that included his last name.
I couldn’t wait to rid myself of anything that tied me to him and his toxicity. If I had to use/say that name day after day, it would have been a constant reminder of the hell he put me through.
I guess it was just another way to start over fresh, as myself, again.

1 Like

Kept his name cause felt my son would be confused why we had different names

I kept my married name bc of our children

3 Likes

My husband let his ex wife keep his last name “for the kids” he regrets it now because she has messed him over so many times claiming to still be his wife and ran up a cabellas card for $1200

1 Like

If you have children, keep the name.

1 Like

I kept my husband’s last name in the first divorce so I would still have the same last name of my kids. I kept my second ex husband’s last name because I didn’t have another last name to use.

If I ever did I wouldn’t change it. But for the simple fact my sperm donor and I have no relationship.

It’s about 50/50 with the people I know who got divorced.

I kept my married name for my sons

If my husband and I had divorced when our kids were young I would have kept his name till our kids were out of school. As soon as the youngest graduated I would have taken my maiden name back. As you can see I use my maiden name as a middle name a lot.

1 Like

I went back to maiden but we were only married 2 years.
Some keep their married name because that’s what everyone knows them by especially If they’ve been married for many years.

You can but it cost extra,

I never changed my name. I’m still me. I don’t get why women change their name, their identities.
My mom kept her married name, she married my dad as a teen, and they divorced 23 years later. She’s since remarried but still has my dads last name. She didn’t want to change it. Her whole adult life was under that name, and her and my dad are still, and have been friends and get along very well.

I kept
Mine because my kids were very sad and worried what it would mean if we had different names.

I have kept mine because I want the same last name as my daughter.

I kept my ex husband’s last name until I remarried because I had children with that name

1 Like

My mother in law changed her last name back to her maiden. But her kids were also 26 and 22 when it all happended had they been younger she wouldnt have

I kept my married name because it was the same as my boys. I got remarried 2yrs later and still kept my exs last name for the first 2yrs until I had my daughter.

Not divorced but my mom and sister in law kept their married names for their kids.

I kept my married name because of my kids.

I have a son with my ex and changed my name back. It was a personal choice. I had a situation where I wanted to be freed and that was the final deed that got me there

2 Likes

I changed mine back to my maiden name after 4 yrs since my ex wouldn’t agree to the name change. I personally think when divorced why continue to use his last name even if kids are involved. Just my own personal opinion. When divorced why continue to use his name when moving on. Again, just my personal opinion/thoughts

1 Like

That’s a personal decision. My mom kept her married name after her and my dad got divorced because me and my brother had the same last name. If me and my husband ever got divorced I would keep my married name because my daughters have the same last name.

I kept mine because I didn’t want to go through the process of changing it back. Now I’ve had my married name longer than I had my maiden name. I went through a bunch of legal stuff when I changed it after I got married and I just didn’t want to deal with it

I changed back to my maiden name, because we had no children together, and I didn’t want a constant reminder of him every time I signed my name.

2 Likes

Every family member I’ve ever had that’s divorced kept their married surname until the married again. Most had children with the same last name, others didn’t. It costs to change it back to the maiden name, most kept it because it was theirs, divorced or not. Legal issues, having all the name change paperwork, documents and proof can be a hassle. Replacement of IDs, SS Cards, etc is a pain.

If it’s something you want to have done legally, you can. Some people want zero reminders of their former married life.

It’s whatever you want to do, and no one can make you do anything. It’s normal either way.

I kept my married name so that I still had the same last name as my kids. I’ve remarried now and it’s still kind of weird not to have the same last name as my sons and my grandkids. My daughters are married so they, along with their kids have a different last name, of course.

It’s personal preference really but most people keep it just incase of emergency for their kids.

I kept it. I was suppose to go back to my maiden but I didn’t get to sign my papers. (I was homeless and didn’t get my mail. And my now ex husband didn’t tell me when it was. So the judge granted the divorce but not the name change.) He didn’t care if I kept it or not. I went back n forth for a while. (He cheated, got best friend pregnant) I have two kids with him (I was with him almost 12yrs/married 10. When I was young. Divorce before 30, had two babies with my current boyfriend in my 30s)

Change it at the next marriage…

I’d personally changed back to maiden name

If I were to ever divorce, I’d keep my married name because it’s been my name for so long at this point plus my children share the name. My mother in law wanted to go back to our last name after her 2nd divorce but something got mixed up in the filing so she got stuck with his last name. (She was married to my husband’s dad for 20+ years so she wanted to go back to that name after divorcing husband #2 after a year or so)

Keeping my married name because it is the same as my son. Once he is old enough to understand, I will officially go back to my maiden surname.

Kept married name. Simply because we have a child. But now he’s older and changing his name to my maiden name anyway so will change back again.

1 Like

I asked to have my maiden name back in the divorce. Was approved but I never went through with it. It was going to be a lot of paperwork and it’s my sons last name. On social media I use my maiden name but everything is still my married name legally. If we wouldn’t have had a child I would have went ahead and changed it back. I didn’t want our son to think I was ashamed of the last name. No reason to be. I just didn’t and don’t find it necessary. I originally asked for my maiden name back because I was being pressured by the person I was with.

I changed it, I didn’t see a point in keeping it.

I took my step dad’s last name.

Personal preference I think. I kept his name for a while but then started getting annoyed when the kids school used it when talking to me😂 so I changed back to my maiden name.