Do you get annoyed when your husband plays video games?

I send the kids to the computer room if they really need their dad lol but I rarely get annoyed with the fact that he’s playing unless I am also trying to study and the kids are being needy. It’s about communicating and working around each other’s needs. Video games and him being home is better than a man who would rather continue to stay out of the home after work to unwind.

2 Likes

Have you ever asked for his help?

3 Likes

If there is even a chance that video games take ANY priority in a man’s life he is a punk

4 Likes

No, I like it. Then I can read or binge watch something or whatever else I want to do.

1 Like

Tell him to go to a bar every night instead, like a real man. :muscle::cowboy_hat_face::beer:

I encourage my partner to play video games. But then again he goes above and beyond with our toddler and the chores, even after he comes home from a long day of work.

1 Like

Ok as a gaming husband, I feel he obviously needs his time and space away from reality.

He might also need help and you don’t know it. So instead of getting annoyed at him, speak to him like a human and ask if he’s ok.

I suffer from so many different mental health issues, gaming helps me get away from all of that. Even if it’s just for 5 minutes

3 Likes

My husband plays video games every night but he will pause it anytime I want his attention or our daughter wants his attention. You get what you put up with. Don’t allow it and it won’t happen

Maybe I’m weird. I encourage mine to play his games. He works, I’m home all day with the 3 kids. Sometimes I’ll play with him when the kids are quietly playing or asleep, or watch him play with his friends.

4 Likes

Only when he gets terets and abuses the game
But then I just close the door

1 Like

What do you do to help you decompress after work? Does he find what makes you happy annoying?

1 Like

Lol better him playing games then playing with other adults might as well not complain about something so stupid and get ur head out ur ass

At least he’s at home. I swear most woman just look for something to complain about like if he went to the pub for a beer or two to wind down that would be a problem as well. If he does nothing but play the game maybe I’d say look can you help out Abit for half hour or so. We all need to wind down one way or another

5 Likes

No…my man is a real man…don’t play games. Don’t understand why adult men play video games like they are kids. Grow up

5 Likes

I play video games with him :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Hard no. His video games are actually his side hustle.

You need to tell him how you feel or he will never change

In my household, it’s me that plays the video games lol

2 Likes

It’s why I’m getting divorced.

If he’s paying no attention to his kids then it’s got to go. :woman_shrugging: I’d have already gotten rid of it!

Yiu have another child basically. Give him a bottle and Bib and cut his food up before serving him. Maybe he will get the point.

1 Like

No bc i have days where play video games for a couple of hours. Lol. Let kids play in their rooms during that time. I’d have a fit with kids up my butt constantly. Mine have learned to occupy themselves watching tv or playing with toys in their rooms during this time.

Sounds like your not getting enough LOL

Yup doesn’t get better gets worse I work also and we have a child with special needs , it’s an addiction . We argue about it alot

I am so happy mine never played

1 Like

No, because my husband knows how to balance it. He usually only plays games that he can get off of unless we talk about it before. The same way I wouldn’t just disappear for four hours and leave him with our daughter, it’s just respect. If it’s not video games, it would just be something else. I’m also a gamer and sometimes I need that escape, but I still make time for my kids. It’s all about what you want to prioritize- video games are a fine hobby to have.

Throw it out! Drive over in the driveway!

1 Like

There should be a balance. If he wants to ignore you and the kids and play games all the time then he should be single and play his video games :woman_shrugging:

I don’t see any difference between sitting on the couch watching tv or playing a game. Now if he can’t pause it or help when I need it, we have a problem. My guy will do one or the other. He still raised his daughter though and was VERY involved. Had sole custody from the time she was 3 months old and her mom ended up passing away around the time she was 7-8. I met him 6.5 years ago 10 days after she turned 11. I can’t believe she’s going to be 18 in 6 months! Anyway, I barely did anything for her because he had already done it. I did teach her how to do her laundry :two_hearts: it’s all about finding a good balance. I’d rather him home playing video games or watching tv, than out partying at the bar. Just ask him to help a little after he’s played for an hour or so after work, then he can spend time with the family and help with bed time routine and baths and then after you two have some time together, he can go back to his game. Good luck :two_hearts:

I play more than mine :joy: Try picking up a controller and joining him. It’s seriously stress relieving, and the whole family can have fun together doing it! Also, it could be a lot worse… at least he’s at home and not out…

I do understand it can be rough if he is neglecting you and the kids, however. Have you seriously talked to him about this? Set some standards so that he can still play but has to help out and maybe give you an hour or two each evening for your own alone time.

2 Likes

Only when it’s my turn and he won’t pass the controller.

We all need some kind of break, you included. Maybe talk to him about it, and make a comprimise. You need free time and so does he.

I can’t stand video games so much that I never dated anyone that had that hobby… same with softball and the army :woman_shrugging:t2: Those were all no’s for me. And I know that seems harsh but I know myself…. You don’t want someone to give up their hobbies for you

1 Like

you need to compromise . talk to him and let him know your feelings , and also understand that it is probably his way of de-stressing .
a lot of men drink or do chat rooms or other things ….video games aren’t up in my list for being bad for the relationship.

my man always makes sure the kids are taken care of , and he pauses his game to help when i need it .
he usually plays weekends and after the kids are in bed , and makes sure to have time for me , but that was only after i talked to him ( and cried lol) that he became aware that
i need some time too w him.
he even got a laptop so we can cuddle in bed while he games and i can read or watch tv , so we still are “hanging out ina. way “

before i was pregnant i would go have girls night while he played w his friends , so it worked out, but it’s all about compromising . and being honest .

he needs his down time just like we do….but let him know he should b helping out also for
your own sanity :two_hearts:

Yeah video games ruined relationships for me. It’s addiction for these guys.

1 Like

I don’t mind unless he plays multiple servers. He works shift work so we don’t see him at all for weeks. He plays Rust what is a game you have to dedicate your time to. I get that and don’t care but if he’s off for 2 weeks and plays all day/night the whole time I get annoyed. I’ve tried joining him but after a couple days I’m bored and with 2 kids all day/night just doesn’t work for me.

I really don’t mind when my husband plays because he’ll help clean up or do something small before he gets on but if he wasn’t helping or ignoring priorities then it’ll be a problem

1 Like

My husband played video games and it bothered me. He has since passed away and I wish he were home playing his video games.

2 Likes

Throwing it away will solve the problem , or hide the control

Just have a talk with him about it. Atleast he’s coming home on the game and not at some bar cheating tbh.

All about balance. An hour a day is perfectly fine for a hobby! But anything can become an unhealthy addiction.

1 Like

I would ask to play too

We are both gamers. Together we have a 9yo, 2yo, and I’m currently pregnant. It was suggested to me by my psychiatrist for anxiety and honestly, it is great for unwinding. Everyone has their own hobbies and addictions. At least his is video games and not drugs and cheating. I would talk to him and discuss your feelings on the matter. Parenting is 50/50 and you need a break too.

2 Likes

If he’s playing online games he honestly can’t pause them.

My husband used to play video games all the time. We had a deal, he buys a video game, I got to buy an entire series of books. I would read and he would game. It was always nice to indulge in our own hobbies alone, but together.

Here’s an idea, make time to play together. Y’all act like video games are the problem, when reality is it’s just stress relief for people. He helps you with kids, you game together. To the people saying to toss them, you’d have a fit if your man tossed what calmed you down.

2 Likes

My husband plays but not everyday and not for hours on end. If I need help for anything around the house all I do is call his name and he comes. It relaxes him and honestly keeps him out my hair sometimes which is nice but the 24/7 shit I refuse to put up with. Kids, supper and his wife always come first.

No but my husband only plays on the weekends and not hrs on end. I would not have that. Nope

1 Like

I’d never be able to date a video gamer!

4 Likes

I don’t despise them but I think there’s definitely an appropriate time to play them. My guy always plays them after the kids are in bed and asks if I need help with anything first, then I use the time he’s playing them for a little self care. Whether that’s reading a book/magazine or devouring my secret mommy-ice cream while binge watching true crime.

No my husband only plays for a little bit after he engages with me and our children usually just plays while I make dinner or something. Kids play with him sometimes. My ex on the other hand was all about games refused to work…F that. Ex 4 a reason.

No. More preferred actually. You should appreciate it while you can.

My husband says grown men shouldn’t be playing video game. They should be taken care of their families.

2 Likes

I bet this person watches hours of TV or goes shopping to decompress and sees no problem with it.

It isn’t just about the games. He isn’t helping you around the house or with the children. Speak up about needing help. Remind him your marriage although very loving at the end of the day is a partnership. Are you a sahm? If so remind him when he goes to work he gets a lunch break meanwhile when you’re home there is no break because of cleaning, caring, and more. You deserve that stress release too! So let him enjoy his games but the conversation needs to be had about him being a dad when he gets home! Another thing you feel un attracted to him because he is not making you feel that way towards him by playing with his games instead of you. So my suggestion is more date nights/quality time with your husband. Continue to date each other that’s what makes marriage fun! :wink:

4 Likes

It’s better than cheating, gambling, doing drugs or hanging out at clubs and bars all the time. Plus, it’s good for eye and hand coordination. As long as they take care of the important stuff on their lists and responsibilities, it’s a healthy way to wind down. Balance is key.

Grown adults make these games, and sometimes there’s actual money in gaming and streaming. You can’t pause online games, and sometimes there’s time limits and limited chances to complete certain activities and quests.

Everyone has to have their own time and something they do to unwind or escape. Some people do crafts, some read, others work with metal and wood. Some people like gaming.

Just communicate with him and let him know how you feel, without it being an ultimatum between you and the gaming. Actually set up a routine and work around some wind down time on his end. Balance is key.

2 Likes

I game with my man. It’s brought us closer and it’s honestly a great stress relief. Stopping and helping is not always possible depending on the game being played. If it’s an online game, chances are he probably can’t just pause the game. In case you weren’t aware. You need to tell him how you feel. Maybe suggest things yall could do together after he works? I couldn’t tell my husband to not game after a hard day of work, I know what it’s like so I sympathize. Everyone has their retreat, some game, some read, some garden, some like to shop. As long as it’s not unhealthy or detrimental to the family I don’t see the issue. Let him know without being on the “attack” how you feel. He may be unaware if you haven’t said anything.Go into the conversation with a level head and be calm. If you go in g*ns blazing he may thing you are just being mean.

Nah. My husband works very hard outside the home, I’m lucky enough to work from home, non phones, and take care of our kids. Even though I work too, he pays the bills so I don’t mind him coming home tired/wanting to relax.

I also watch lots of Netflix/YouTube when he’s at work and I get to relax so why couldn’t he get to relax too?

2 Likes

Is this every single day when he gets home until he goes to bed and he does nothing else ever? Need more info on this one

1 Like

I get annoyed when my husband and kids interrupt my gaming :joy:

10 Likes

I wouldn’t even date a guy who played video games :joy: but that’s just me

8 Likes

my husband only plays if he has time after everyone Including myself goes to bed and he has no work to catch up on. that’s his own decision. he would never play while the kids are awake . he rather pay attention to them or help with house work

1 Like

maybe cut the power from that room or just lock that door

3 Likes

Once the kids are settled, join the game and practise until u can beat him. It’s very satisfying.

2 Likes

Mine grew out of them :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Nope. He has his thing I have mine. (Reading)
But my guy does help with the little though. And he will help in between games if he’s playing something he can’t pause.

2 Likes

I love watching my husband play. It helps relax him and he loves that is a way we can spend time together.

2 Likes

Well my husband works a lot and he works hard to support us all so I feel like if he wants to enjoy his free time and play his game he should be able to do that

4 Likes

Not at all. He’s a cop. So for him to be able to come home unscathed and the way he left the house is a blessing. If he wants to wind down with playing video games so what. I will usually lay beside him or in our room listening to him play lol

1 Like

He needs to be more attentive to your kids and you. But you need to understand his hobby is not an attack, and not all games can be “paused” he likely ain’t playing on a console from 95

1 Like

My husband don’t play games :heart:

My wife loves that I play video games at least I’m not out doing drugs getting drunk or womanizing she’d rather me be at home

5 Likes

If my husband is completely shirking all responsibilities, then yes. But otherwise, we actually play together! We’re both gamers so it works out.

2 Likes

my daughter has the same problem

Get a part time job that starts after he gets home from work.

I mean could be worse, would you rather he goes to the pub all the time? At least you know he’s at home and not off somewhere else. Just tell him duties you want him to do and after they’re done he can play all he likes. That’s his cool down time

3 Likes

Might be a unpopular opinion, but mine is a part time streamer and also works from home so basically lives at his PC…he is available when needed BUT would you rather him out with the boys drinking doing god knows what else or have him home in a safe space and out of trouble, No? Just me?

2 Likes

My husband has been playing video games our entire relationship… If I need help, he helps… He steps away from them but know he can go back to them whenever he wants. It’s an outlet for him so I let him play whenever… It has never bothered me… That being said, if he was refusing to help with the raising of our children I wouldn’t be so tolerant…

l get paid over $ 177 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 21351 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://incomeproject26.pages.dev/

Doesn’t bother me at all he plays with our daughter I’m not a gamer at all but if I need help it’s put down

I don’t like these comments… just bc he’s home & not out at the bar doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be spending time with you and the kids. He still has responsibilities as a father. I’d be having a talk about it cus that’s just not right… and if he doesn’t listen… I’m sure there’s a way to break the damn thing without leaving a trace :rofl::rofl::purple_heart:

Nope, why get annoyed… if he works hard then he should be able to unwind… could be worse, he could be out at the pub every night etc instead… I’m sure he wouldn’t be completely ignoring the family and having no involvement at all…
If you don’t work then it is your responsibility as prime carer of the kids to look after them…
Surely you have your own hobbies too and get your own time to do things…
Maybe join in with his game every now and then, might not be your thing but can give a little bonding time together with it…
People need to remember that just because you have a partner/family doesn’t mean that you turn your back on who you are as a person… You’re not someone’s keeper… enjoy your time together and enjoy your time doing your own things… you don’t need to be joined to the hip every moment… that’s just my opinion

1 Like

Hide his controller until he helps

I think a lot of you are missing the point and the issue here… He’s comes home and ignores OP and their kid. He doesn’t do anything to help with his child or bond with him. He doesn’t do anything to show he loves his wife. When video games become more important than anything around there is an issues and y’all Are failing to see that.

5 Likes

Danielle Zuidema the comments :ok_hand:

I don’t care that he plays video games because I do too. We each get an hour at night, uninterrupted, to play a game of our choice while the other rangles the kids. It works for us.

3 Likes

What are things that you do to rewind and relax from work? How about asking hey can you help me after that part of your game to help me out with out kids . Might help

Annoys me when there’s stuff that needs doing and his worried about losing a game pause that crap

No I don’t - it’s mutual when it comes to helping when we’re both home. If he’s in his game I don’t expect him to drop everything if I can help the toddler for a little, and vise versa. When I do my nails he will step in and help her even if he’s on his game. However, idk the situation. These are on days when we are both home. Both of you need time to unwind, if he’s doing it after work I don’t blame him, I know staying at home all day is a lot too but I think maybe sit down and let him know you may need some breaks too, but maybe plan for that on days he will be home more so you can plan more time for yourself ahead of time

He could help get the kids down then spend time with her and still get in some games after. No need to neglect family time for gaming.

My husband and I went to this a few years back. I didn’t realize it but that was his way of coming home from work and decompressing. It kept him from bringing the stress of the job home. So we came to a compromise, he could come home and play an hour of his video game completely uninterrupted by me. But then he had to help get things done for the evening. After all the stuff was done-he can play until he’s ready to go to bed

1 Like

My boyfriend is a gamer and it used to annoy me however when and if it’s ever prevented him from helping me with the house or kids— we’ve talked and addressed it. Games are his way to unwind and his hobby. They may not be the same as mine, but they’re his and helps him lower his stress levels from work/etc so I don’t get so annoyed anymore when I look at it like that. Something I’ve learned is— you can’t pause online games so maybe you guys can have a discussion about him possibly being like “hey babe before I start this game do you need anything” before he starts something he can’t pause until it’s done.

Tell him to get his priorities in order!

You’re not annoyed that he’s playing video games. You’re annoyed because he’s choosing something else over spending time with his family and helping you with the kids.
Wording is everything and you need to communicate this with him.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have 2 kids to me…

1 Like

Couple days a week leave him with the kids and tell him you have to run out to the store you and the children should come first

There is playing the occasional game. Game night and then there is addiction to video games that is a real issue and unhealthy

Thats part of the reason I divorced my 2nd husband. He would play COD all freaking day and get mad anytime I asked him for help with our daughter.

How old is he 10 ???

I don’t blame you for being annoyed. Men think, that after their day at work, work is done. When I was married to my sons’ dad, he came home from work to help with the boys especially when I wasn’t feeling well. You have the right to be upset…

1 Like

Chances are your husband comes home from a long day at work and needs to decompress. Gaming is a great tool for that. Talk with him about spending more time doing a family activity like watching a movie together but understand that gaming is a great stress reliever and it’s far better for him to come home to the game to unwind vs going to the bar to do the same. He’s home with you every day and you know what he’s doing. Appreciate that

2 Likes