Do you let your kids have jolly ranchers?

Do you let your kids have jolly ranchers? my kids are 8 and 9 and my husband thinks i am being over protective by not allowing them to have them…theyre just such a huge concern for me due to choking hazards

148 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/do-you-let-your-kids-have-jolly-ranchers/20736

Yes all my kids get jolly ranchers 10,9 and 8. Have been for a while

Yes lol. Literally everything in life is a choking hazard. I’ve choked on my own spit. That my body makes. That I’ve literally had happening since birth. I’m 32 :rofl:

16 Likes

I don’t blame you. I’m an anxious mom when it comes to choking. Hot dogs, grapes, hard candies… ugggghhh by 8 and 9 my older two did have jolly ranchers though

2 Likes

I started letting my kids have small candies around 5.

Yes, occasionally. No kid needs candy regularly. They’re 8 and 9 I’m sure they can handle it. It’s no different than an ice cube or a chunk of an ice pop, even a grape. Kids can choke on anything. Cheese is what I was scared of. My husbands brother almost died from eating a mozzarella stick. Thank god his step dad is a doctor and got it out. I say let them have one.

I done been eating them things since I was like three, ma. :joy: let them have them. I think they’re old enough to know they could choke… :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I don’t, my kids are 4 & 7. Not only are they a choking hazard, they’re also horrible for their teeth.

4 Likes

Yeah but they can’t be running around jumping whatever else when they are eating it. And they aren’t allowed hard candy in the cae

2 Likes

I’m incredibly anxious about choking so no

4 Likes

They are 8 and 9 I think they will be fine

3 Likes

Don’t do it u most likely already jinxed it

3 Likes

Yes, and :scream::scream::scream: I gave them popcorn young too. But when I was like 4 I chocked on the hard butterscotch disc.

Well get them the lollipop ones then. I chocked on my vitamin today

7 Likes

My son is 6 and has been eating them since he was like 4 we just watch him

3 Likes

My 4 year old eats them just fine. They’re probably getting them at school. Almost every year I can remember we jolly ranchers at valentines day parties or end of the school year party.

1 Like

They’re 8 & 9 not 2 & 3 :woman_facepalming:t3:

5 Likes

This is a joke right?!? Umm, like somebody’s making these stories up and posting them right?!? I literally just let my kids have this candy the other day and they’re 5, 9,12and 14!! I can’t with these post; go ahead and just take my top fan badge and hang it up somewhere else cuz I just can’t :joy::rofl::rofl::skull::skull:

14 Likes

What? 8 and 9? Your husband is right.

4 Likes

No playing around while having them, but 8 & 9 should do fine.

1 Like

They’ll definitely pull a filling out.

I choked on one at that age :confused: my aunt had to The HM on me.

You do you, they are your kids. But, yes you are being ridiculous lol.

3 Likes

Not a chance :slight_smile: ive seen my kids daddy choke on them often!! mine are 5 and 6, and i wont even let them have ice, unless its shaved. I have a feeling youll know when they can handle a hard small candy. Till then gummies!

6 Likes

None for my grandkids! I eat them by the bag every week. Mine are 4 and 6. They will be 5 and 7 next month. Absolutely they are not allowed to have them yet

2 Likes

I advise chewing them up first then feeding them to your kids baby bird style.

18 Likes

I wouldn’t give them to a baby or a really small kid because of the choking hazard but at 8 or nine they can figure out how to eat a jolly rancher I’m sure

I wouldn’t give them to a baby or a really small kid because of the choking hazard but I ate or nine they can figure out how to eat a jolly rancher I’m sure

Yes 8&9 let them have a jolly rancher’s talk to them about the choking hazard you are scared of and explain that you want them to be very careful while they are eating them. I get your frustration but anyone can choke on any kind of food .

4 Likes

My daughter is 3 and I’m always paranoid about her choking. We live far away from medical services and my daughter has brittle bones, so the Heimlich could be very dangerous (the Heimlich is rough for people with normal bones). This product has brought a lot of peace of mind (thankfully, we haven’t had to use it). You sound a lot like me when it comes to food items and choking. I saw 8-9 and thought, sounds right for me too. :joy: Choking is scary.

Give them Lifesavers, they’re designed with the hole so that it’s not possible to choke on them

1 Like

I was 28 when I choked on a pot roast and needed the HM.

Trust me, there isn’t a safe age if you aren’t being careful with your food :rofl::rofl::rofl::flushed:

15 Likes

Wow just wow. They are old enough to understand how to eat them. It’s a sucker without the stick :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
I guess my kids can understand them anyways. Same ages

1 Like

8 and 9 are old enough to have jolly ranchers …

2 Likes

I just started letting my 6 and 7 year olds have them this summer but they’re with me and I heavily warned them, I also know the heimlich

I think half of this post anymore are fake

12 Likes

I do not but I also was next to a child who choked to death on a cough drop so I know Im overly paranoid.

I let my kid have them when he was younger. He just had to sit while it was in his mouth and if he had to get up he had to walk. Honestly grapes are a bigger choking hazard than jolly ranchers.

7 Likes

I NEVER DID. Too Much of a hoking Hazard

Don’t let the mean/sarcastic comments get to you… I am the same way. I freak at choking situations. I loose my mind and it goes blank. I know cpr. But when my kid chokes out the window it goes. I won’t baby led feeds. I won’t even let them eat mozzarella cheese sticks if it’s just me and them.(I mean I’m ditzy and choke on them myself. Lmao.)idc judge me. I’m 34yrs old. I cut hot dogs very small and diagonal (for the small kids that is) I have 4 kids. 13, 11, 3, 6m. I didn’t even give my toddler pop corn till she was almost 3. Suckers nope… my brother at 3 choked on a Dorito chip. Don’t even get me started on not checking their fingers, toes ect for hair. (Happened with my oldest) ek.

6 Likes

Uhhhh let the kids have a piece of supervised candy.

2 Likes

No would not at all…not worth it.

Ummm do they eat corn, carrots, or other food? Then just relax.

1 Like

Yes. We always got them for well-done assignments in class at that age too.

1 Like

I’m always worried about my lil one choking she’s already choked quite a few times in her life she’s 10 I don’t allow her to have jawbreakers and stuff but I will let her have jolly ranchers if I put them in a baggie and break them up with a mallet so they are small enough to not choke on

1 Like

No. I don’t let mine have any hard candies and no suckers unless I check them first either.

I choked on steak as an adult.
Just saying, unless you blend every food to a smoothie then there is always a choking hazards in everything.

Let kids be kids. Let them live and learn.

5 Likes

My father was 56 and fit and healthy last year and he choked to death on some food. Can happen any age just supervise if you’re worried.
I’m terrified of my kids eating now.

5 Likes

I let mine. but I don’t allow pop. oldest is 12. youngest 5

No! My almost 11 year was just asking for these a couple days ago and I said absolutely not. If it was feasible I wouldn’t let him eat at all :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Careful with nuts. Jellybeans, grapes, literally anything can become a choking hazard. I allow it when they are calm, watching TV. No joking around or running.

1 Like

My son just turned 9 in May, and they have been one of his favorite candies since he’s been old enough to know, not to just swallow them., so I guess, about 3? maybe …
My older childer love then as well

3 Likes

I choked on a jawbreaker when I was young to the point where I almost died. For YEARS I never let my kids have hard candy like that. So no I don’t think you are being over protective. It’s one of the scariest things to go through. I remember like it happened yesterday and it was over 25 years ago

2 Likes

Yes you can chock on anything at any age. 9 isn’t to young to be having Norma hard food. Lol

I mean at that age, I’d let them. There’s a lot of stuff that is a choking hazard: fruit snacks, grapes, hot dogs, jellybeans, jawbreakers, gum, mints, etc

4 Likes

As long as u know how to do the heimlich maneuver, just in case.

They make jolly ranchers suckers if you’re that paranoid

1 Like

So what you’re saying is you bottle feed your 8 and 9 years olds? :joy:
Name one solid food that can’t be choked on?
Those poor kids :joy:
Ffs my 15 year old chokes on water :woman_facepalming:t2:

8 Likes

My sister choked on ice. Pretty much anything that can be slid through an empty toilet paper roll is a choking hazard.

My daughter has been having lollies since she had her teeth come In… haha I get it I really do I had the thing with popcorn she’s 7 in November and only really started eating it this year :rofl:

My seven year old daughter choked hard on a caramel a few weeks ago. To the point of panic. She managed to get it out. But I’m nervous around any hard or chewy candy after that

1 Like

Our 4 year old has been eating them for about a year. She stole them from my drawer. Didnt know she had been sneak eating them. But now we know. Shes done great with them.

2 Likes

I choked on an eclipse mint a few weeks ago, they’re tiny and in a tin and I honestly couldn’t breathe. I’m 31. :joy:

4 Likes

Your kids could choke on anything. If you say no and dad says yes, compromise. They make Jolly Rancher lollipops.

2 Likes

At that age they’re fine.
I choke on my own breath.
Get a dechoker if it gives you peace of mind.

4 Likes

Yes , you are !!! They can choke on everything, unless you just feed them mashed food / pures and they still can choke

1 Like

My 3 year old? No. My 10 year old? Yes. About 5 I’m comfortable with it.

My son choked on a Jolly Rancher when he was seven I won’t even let my grandkids have them

I wouldn’t give a 2-year-old to jolly rancher but a nine year old yes of course :thinking:

1 Like

Meanwhile I was born with multiple throat defects and at 27 I still choke on air. Anything, even liquid, was a serious choking hazard for me. I’m still here. Let your kids have hard candy.

I would stick with your gut and motherly instinct and say NO!
I’m that way with my kiddos too, especially at that age.

I’m 32 and I choke on Water… often!

1 Like

A Jolly Rancher will take a tooth out in a heart beat! For my kids it was a NO!

1 Like

Once they’re old enough to understand not to swallow it, and that they shouldn’t run around with things in their mouth, it should be fine. I’d think anyone over the age of 4 or 5 should be able to handle it.

2 Likes

Hmm I’m not too sure. When I was a child I was in the back seat with my sister and my dad had just given us lifesavers. A couple mins later my sister asked my dad why heathers face is so purple and her eyes are closed. I was legit choking on it. My dad pulled over and hit my back so hard, it went flying out of my throat. Thinking I was a bit younger than 8-9 though. I think I’d allow them to have jolly ranchers… but while they were around me to eat them.

Maybe disolve a couple in some sugar free lemonade so they get the flavour without the risk

Nope! I don’t allow mine !

Nah I think you are doing the right thing , I still worry about giving my daughter hard candy and stuff , I basically tell her to hold it with her hand and lick as if it was a lollipop , I also don’t give me daughter soda

If they have fillings I would say no bc it can pull them out otherwise not an issue

2 Likes

I choked on a piece of hard candy when I was young and I would never ever give my kids hard candy

1 Like

Noooooooooo. They are not allowed in my house!

You can choke on literally anything

4 Likes

I don’t even give my
Kids whole grapes :sweat_smile:

No I don’t allow my kids to have any hard candy except suckers under supervision while seated.

My brother choked on one in the car in the middle of a traffic circle and if it weren’t for my aunt being there and doing the Heimlich on the side of the road he wouldn’t have made it. They are slippery suckers. If your boys are rowdy the least little bit (they pretty much all are) I’d say no too. Jolly ranchers have lollipops. Use those.

1 Like

I think 8 & 9 are fine. Just watch them. I worry about it myself as 2 of my kids have choked on something enough I’ve had to interviene. Just about anything can be a choking hazard at any age.

1 Like

They took several of my kids caps off their teeth

They are rough on teeth and they can choke but my kids all have them and they are 10 and 8 now!

Bad for your teeth too my 8 year old had to have a tooth pulled it wasn’t fun

My boys aren’t able to have them nor jaw breakers.

2 Likes

Lol I live in Australia… I actually didn’t know what a Jolly Rancher was I just googled it lol…
I’ve never seen them before!!

1 Like

My 2 year old and 6 year old gets them :joy: but I obviously watch him with them

1 Like

Nope. It’s not because of choking either

I don’t give them or any other hard candy and there 10 and 11 choking scare in the past

1 Like

Omg they are 8 and 9 lmao it’s not like they are 3 and yes I get choking but im pretty sure they are old enough to know not to swallow a hard candy lol

5 Likes

No. There’s plenty of candy they can otherwise have. Choking is the scariest bc even if you call 911 they’ll be completely hypoxic by the time and ambulance arrives.

1 Like

At that age? Stop being a helicopter :helicopter: mom!

5 Likes

I mean at 8&9… They are pretty good at not choking. My toddlers don’t get small hard candies yet but they’re all 4 and under

Hard chewy candy is really bad for kids teeth
Don’t feel bad