Do you use melatonin for kids?

Have you tried lavender baths? Or lotions or maybe something that smells like that for bed time? Anything soothing?

My 5 year old has always been a horrible sleeper. Never sleeping through the night. We started him on melatonin and he falls asleep faster and actually stays asleep all night. Id also try and get them to cut out the naps.

1 Like

Start his night time routine earlier. It sounds like he is over tired. When kids get over tired, they get hyper. Limit anything with sugar including juice after dinner.

1 Like

Only when they’re sick

I’d try an earlier bed time. In kids if they go to bed too late their body will release cortisol to give another dose of energy causing them to stay up later. Melatonin in not recommended long term as your body will being to rely on it and not make it properly and you’d have to continue increasing the dose.

2 Likes

Start out with 3mg -4mg 30mins before bed he should be fine

1 Like

I use melatonin when my children need it, and it’s great. No side effects, just peaceful sleep… And my kids wake up refreshed and ready for the day.

Our body’s naturally produce a small amount of melatonin to help promote sleep… so I always see it as taking a vitamin such as vitamin b or c… to just give that extra help

1 Like

Yep. We call them night time snacks. They know they only get one & this is even with the bedtime routine of bath, rubdown, and watching the hungry caterpillar while reading the book. The pandemic threw off everyone’s nightly sleep in my house.

1 Like

I would definitely take the nap away. There are gummy melatonin .5mg you can give him. They are very low mg. Do not start out on a high MG. Also I wouldn’t recommend giving it every night. My 5 year old takes it as needed. Normally after a long day at school she won’t need any at night. Sometimes on the weekends its harder for her to fall asleep and she’ll ask for it because she’s realize it helps her relax and fall asleep. It has not given her any nightmares or bad dreams.

As per directions on box, consult pediatrician before using with children.

I use melatonin for my son. I started it when he was 4 and he is now 6. He doesn’t need it every night but most nights he does. He has a hard time staying asleep so he woke up multiple times throughout the night asking if it was time to get up. I never asked my pediatrician if it was ok because they don’t recommend it

I’m not sure what changed, but my son has been taking it off and on since he was 3 years old. He is 16 now…I was told it’s safe and a better alternative to actual sleeping pills.

:raising_hand_woman:t2: I use it on my kids my kids 2,4,8,10,11 they love it I get the Dissolvable tablets they taste like strawberries and they range in different milligrams as well

1 Like

My 2, 5 and 8 year old all take a 3 mg melatonin gummy before bed every night. I even take one. Find a difference in their moods in the morning, even in myself. I feel like we all get better deep restful sleep. Doc ok’d the dose and use as well!

4 Likes

I use it for my son…1mg as needed. Maybe once or twice a week at most

I use it, and yes it works. My daughter just turned 4 I usually give her hers about 8-830 and she’s telling me she is tired come 10-1030.

Maybe try starting the bedtime routine earlier? My youngest (4 yo son)gets ready for bed at 7, gets a bath, pajamas, brushes teeth, picks out clothes etc and all electronics are cut off. He also gets no sugar 2 hours before bed. His bed time is 8:00pm on the dot and he does well as long as we keep to the routine consistently.

I give my kids melatonin and consulted their doctor before hand and he never once said it was dangerous.

1 Like

Give him melatonin! If not for him then do it for yourself! Girl you need your sleep just as much! Melatonin does not effect a child it helps them get a good night sleep!!

1 Like

Sometimes I use the gummy for my son who’s adhd. They also make bath salt and bubble bath with melatonin in it. I use that when I don’t want to give him the gummy

It helps them fall asleep. But it doesn’t keep them asleep :disappointed:

Wow I haven’t met a Dr yet that didn’t approve of melatonin. And since our bodies produce it naturally already idk why he would say it’s dangerous. :thinking:

2 Likes

My kids use it they like the gummy melatonin

I would start the bedtime routine earlier so that he is laying down between 7:30 and 8:00 eliminating the nap at school. Shut off electronics 1 to 2 hours before bedtime. Try eliminating sugar intake after 5 if possible.

My daughter used melatonin for my granddaughter but she was also nervous about it because theres no long term studies done on it. But since your body produces it, she used it for a little while. It seemed to help. She is three now and doesn’t take it anymore but her sleep pattern is much better. Good luck!

Try using it to get him started on a better sleep schedule then slowly taper him off. Not supposed to use it longer than 2 weeks

I give my kids the gummies with melatonin. My 7 yr old especially needs it. Hes full speed all day long and if he doesn’t have one, he will be up past midnight and the next day is a big meltdown.

I was in the same boat with my son and we started out on 1mg of melatonin, it was so helpful for him. He rarely has to use it anymore and he’s 13. When he was that age though, it was the only way to get him to sleep. And I would definitely cut out the nap

I do. I only do the 1 mg tablet and it works. Otherwise my child would stay up until 1 every morning. He goes and goes all day, and his bedtime is 8:00. But he just cannot wind down on his own. I don’t have to use it every night. But some nights even after being in bed for over an hour his brain just will not shut off. My son is 5. He’s my youngest and the only one I’ve had to use it on.

Definitely keep some for my 3 yr old

I’ve read that if you give them melatonin it actually teaches their body not to produce it on its own… it’s definitely not a “multivitamin” it’s likely a stage and my kids all went through it. All of my kids go to bed between seven and eight, even my 7 year old. Diluted Lavender and ylang ylang oil is safe. We also play calming music and have a night light. All of my kids have struggled to sleep at some point, but they all grew out of it with some persistence and patience. I’d follow your doctor’s instructions on this.

2 Likes

I would start bedtime earlier. Lime 7. Bath and quiet time. I start at 7. Do bath. Use 1mg melatonin for my 4 yr old. And literally he is asleep by 745/8PM. everytime.
He gets much more sleep. He sleeps from 745/8pm until 645am.

My boys have used melatonin since they were 2 and 3 they are now 15 and 16 and still need it.

I have been using melatonin ever since my 8yr old was a year old but it didn’t work for him bc he has bad adhd and had to be put on prescription meds but his younger brothers take it everynight they are 6 and 4 and sometimes it dont help them sleep but the more tired they are the better it helps

Not worth it at all.

1 Like

Both my boy’s have taken it for year’s now. They are 13, 11. And still take 10mg with clonidine every night. Or neither will sleep at all! They also have ADHD, ODD though. Melatonin is already natural in our bodies. Some people just need more of it. My kid’s have never had a problem with it! And their doctor recommended it.

I give 1 MG gummy to my 3 year old who is also wide open til 1 or 2 a.m with no nap. So I started giving gummy and by 9 he is in bed

You should start bedtime earlier

2 Likes

I have a premature child who is now 5. Doctor recommended using melatonin to get him to sleep. It has worked wonders and helps him alot!

Why did he say it could be dangerous to give your child melatonin?

Yep I use it on 2 and 4 year old and they go to sleep fast and sleep all night long

Talk to your doctor. The body already produces melatonin and if you give too much, it can mess with the natural melatonin that is already produced, and totally screw up his sleeping habits

I use melatonin but have tolerance breaks… if given to much will induce nightmares. My kids are 7 and 9… both very hyperactive and have trouble getting to sleep. It works really well. My doctor didn’t have any issues with it.

His schedule is off because his nap is too early. Not much you can do about that but a 4 year old can get melatonin with chamomile tablets and they are less strong than an adult version. Sometimes though it can have the opposite reaction and it sounds like your kid is already overtired and that can cause the hyper activity. I haven’t read the other comments because I’m sure there’s naysayers about it but I’ve had to take it in my life as well. It’s a safe supplement. It’s not a medication, it’s the hormone that produces naturally in our body. The melatonin could help him get back to a good sleep schedule because it regulates that. Also if your child is watching tv at night the blue light rays can diminish the natural melatonin in their brain, so cutting off shows at least an hour before bedtime is best. Of course. It’s not dangerous. It’s not recommended every night but some nights it could definitely help regulate his natural melatonin. I would go for it.

1 Like

My kids pediatrician is the one who recommended it for mine. Even my 17 year old takes it occasionally when she’s having a hard time going to sleep.

No blue light for 3 hours before bed.(TV tablets ect) melatonin is a hormone and some studies suggest it may cause issues in hormone development… the supplement doesn’t always contain what the bottle says and they have found serotonin in them which is bad. Long story short listen to your doctor, you should never give anything that is not needed. In a age where just popping a vitamin is easier people don’t realize the damage that can actually be done by doing so.

My son had the same problem His doctor put him on 5mg of melatonin when he was 4 and he did just fine and was actually able to fall asleep with in 30 min and sleep through the night

1 Like

My kids use it and they sleep better and threw the night their Dr recommended it though and we know what dosage to give how long etc etc just cause it’s produced naturally doesn’t mean you don’t need to modify it every now and than, also Dr teal’s makes a great bedtime bath and lotion which helps tremendously as well

1 Like

I use melatonin with my 5 year old son his doctor is the one that actually told me to do it he’s severely ADHD takes meds for it, he just takes a gummy at about 6:30 then we do bath time etc and is passed out 7: 30-8:00pm no problems I was also told to do it with my 1-year-old to get her into a good sleep pattern haven’t done that one tho

Meagan Foote Anthony had great results with his Melatonin at bedtime (if he requires it) he falls asleep usually on his own without issues. I’m wondering why her physician would tell her that it’s “dangerous” to give her 4 year old son melatonin? Dangerous is a frightening word :confused:

Melatonin has been a miracle for me! My
Boys 7 and 8 take them and in an hour they are sound asleep. And still wake up at 6 am refreshed ready for school. After years of struggling to get them to sleep I wish I knew about this years ago. It’s like gold!

That nap needs to go. If my girl had even 10 mins I’d be up half the night. Try that before meds 100%

I think there are other OTC products for sleep with kids. Check them out. Good luck!

Start bed earlier. Even a ten minute nap gave my son hours extra energy. Wear his mind and body out. I tried melatonin… Worked for awhi!e then he adjusted to it and he slept but was restless… So now, my son come home, we play football, go for walk/run/bike ride. Do jumping jacks. Even do mental memory stuff, math problems, spelling. Challenge his mind. I’ve done all this since my son was 2. We still do it and he is 8. And also in doing this, even though he is in 2nd grade, he is at a 4th and 5th grade level. Just like when he starts getting wound up, I give him math problems, or give him work for his muscles (rearranging cupboards, laundry, recycling) anything to occupy him. It has MAJORLY HELPED IN MY WAYS. he has even learned to let me know when he is needing it.

PediTrician has had my lad on it for 2 years … some nights it works some night it doesnt … he is also adhd and odds and still wake in the night …

My boys lay down at 730 gives them time to wind down, do liquid melatonin some nights when they’re extra hyper lol

My 14 year old has been using it since he was 7 and it definitely helps. He’s had no adverse effects but there may be an underlying reason why your pediatrician is against it. :woman_shrugging:

I’m a pediatric nurse and my practice of 9 doctors uses melatonin regularly to help manage when all normal bed time sleep routines fail. Start at a small dosage 1mg gummy since we do naturally produce melatonin. Give it a hour before bedtime and have him relax. No more than 3mg for children is usually what we recommend.

I also have four children and use it when they struggle to sleep and regularly with my ADHD son because his meds make it hard for him to wind down. I may also state melatonin you can not “over dose” on per poison control.

3 Likes

Yes my daughter takes it and says she doesn’t sleep good without it sometimes.

My son was like that too but would also not stay asleep once he fell asleep. It would be more like a 2-4 hour nap at night and no naps during the day. The day care put him in quiet play in the far side of the room during nap time to help me get him to sleep more at night.

I started wearing him out. After work he’d play around the house while I made dinner but after I’d take him outside to ride his bike, play tag, tee ball, frisby, etc. Anything to make him MOVE. At 8:30pm he took a bath with bedtime bath soap (purple bottle in baby section). I’d rub sleepytime lotion on all his limbs, back, and chest before I put his jammies on, and tuck him in with a story. My calm voice put him out and exhausting him beforehand made sure he stayed OUT.

Melatonin is not dangerous. Melatonin is what your body releases before sleep which makes us tired, many kids and adults don’t release enough melatonin hence why sleep problems are on the rise. Side effects of melatonin can include nightmares and night terrors. It shouldn’t be used long term otherwise the body gets too used to it and stops releasing its own.

I used it for my then six year old but only use it no longer than two months as some kids get irritable after too long on it. Now my son falls asleep just fine on his own.

Remember everyone’s child is NOT the same. What works for yours, may not work for the next person. Take your doctors advice into consideration, but also do what you feel is right, being as though you know your child best.

2 Likes

Yes my 3 year old and 6 year old both take it the kids ones are 1mg my 6 year old get 2 most night because of him taking his adhd meds after school it’s what his dr told me to do he still fights it’s as long as he can. The 3 year old get 1 and with him 30 minutes to a hour he is out.

8pm is to late for bedtime routine.
My son is nearly 4 and he doesn’t sleep it’s so hard as I’m also a single mum; his dad lives 1.5 hour away so can’t give me support when I’m struggling… if doctors have said it’s dangerous then please don’t give him something like that…
there isn’t really much that can make someone sleep… I’ve literally tried everything…
I’ve started doing a few new things that I haven’t done before (day 2 today)
So we have tea at 5pm, then tv or play… he has his last bit of squash… he has a shower or bath at 6pm then we go into his bedroom, we have a cuddle, we talk then he gets changed, then we read a book or two, then we do teeth brush and then last wee, then 7pm he gets into bed and I say good night and leave, xxx

2 Likes

I heard it weakens their ability to sleep naturally over time.

1 Like

Yea I give it to my kids my 7 yr old can’t sleep without it and will remind me if I forget to give it to him . In bed by 8 asleep by 830 … 10 mg

2 Likes

Get a dog and make your boy play fetch. He’ll be tired before you know it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have, my daughter wasn’t a fan of the taste of the gummies tho. Tried two different kinds and she didn’t like it lol but it worked okay for us when she’d actually take it

My son does the gummys, also Walmart sells melatonin bubble bath, lotion and a spray to spray on your beds …I bought that for myself and it works wonderful and smells good

1 Like

I’ve done 1mg for my son Which is unmedicated ADHD…since he was 4…he’s 6 now…but I do make sure he has a week off each month. Three is nothin wrong with small amounts of melatonin.

Melatonin is a life saver with my daughter. Her twin has no issues. Start cutting a 5 ml gummy in half. Try it for a week. See what happens.

1 Like

My son is 8 & takes between 3 & 6mg about and hour before bed. He has severe adhd and several other behavior problems. His doctor recommended it.

2 of my kids take it. Doctors orders. We don’t use it every night but we do use it

No. I always wanted to because he was a handful but I never did. I never gave my kids a nap around that age. So that helped.

There’s a possibility he may have a melatonin deficiency. My 3yo does, so we give him melatonin about 30 minutes before bedtime.

1 Like

His doctor said no and it could be dangerous

My 8 year old takes it on school nights, mostly for the same reason. If I don’t give it to her, she will be up all night and then it’s a nightmare to get her up in the morning. She doesn’t like the dissolvable tablets or the gummies. We use the liquid. She takes it at 7pm, at 8pm she has to lay down and get tucked in. We let her watch TV until 9pm, but she’s usually out before that.

1 Like

Try cutting the nap and see if he sleeps my 3 year old can not have a nap and has not had a nap since she was 1.5 as she wouldn’t sleep at night Since cutting nap she sleeps from 730/8-6/7 depending on what time I get her up

1 Like

It helped my grandson.

1 Like

I would listen to the doctor. After all, he did graduate from medical school.

1 Like

Many countries do not sell melatonin over the counter…pretty sure its only available without prescription in the usa…Its supposed to be used short term only and studies on children are few.
Each to their own of course but I wouldnt use it especially if your Dr is against it.

2 Likes

I used it for my 4 year old son and it helped him tremendously. I only used it for a couple of months then tapered him off. Now he falls asleep with no problems

1 Like

My son has been the same way for many years. He actually seems to get more energy right before bedtime… we tried all kinds of routines before going to Melatonin. But once we did we haven’t looked back. We use Zarbees 1 mg we have had to up the dose over time but we have not exceeded 4 mg and he had been on them for 4 years… there are nights they still don’t seem to help. But we have seen adding the fan for the back ground noise seems to help calm him down.

My son uses it occasionally. He’s 12 and has ADHD. My kiddo can take up to 4 mg. He takes it 2 to 3 times a week. His Dr said that it was an appropriate dose and use for him. She did caution me not to use it every night as it could interfere with his body’s natural production. Start with the smallest dose and use it when necessary.

Melatonin is natural as you body creates it. But it’s meant for sleep training not for extended use. I used it for myself and my kids to get on a better sleep regimen before the school year started

1 Like

Melatonin works well! It’s helped tremendously with our youngest.

2 Likes

Before seeking out remedies that alter your child Look into does he/she have a good diet (sugar? Dyes? Processed?) Does your child get enough exercise? Do you have a conducive routine to get your child in bed on time (no electronics or screen. Bath and book time before bed). Look inward before trying to manipulate children with supplements and drugs to change your little person to suit you. Exhaust all your options then sure but never recommended to go against MD direction

My son has been on it every night. Unfortunately I had to because he has really bad insomnia like me.

Zarbees brand has helped kids of various friends. They have chewable and gummies. I think being indoors so much has caused issues with our quarantine kids. I’d also look at having Vitamin D checked as it can cause rickets in children, soft bones, if it goes too low.gummed. Please read up on how long to use to get him in a routine.

Fuck what that doctor talking bout, and give him Melatonin. They sell OTC Melatonin, and it’s based on age and weight. My soon to be 4 yo has been taking it since she turned 3. And before that, she was taking Benadryl (she actually does have allergies) But keep your sanity, and buy the melatonin

You can try lemon balm drops as an alternative

we have to or my son will not sleep at all.

1 Like

I feel like giving then something to help them sleep, even if it is harmless. Will cause their bodies to not be able to go to sleep by itself without that something to help.

Melatonin in young kids CAN be dangerous. You can easily make your child dependent on melatonin. Especially if you’re not giving the correct dosage. Yes, it’s “natural” but too much of anything (including *natural things) is not good. Also, OTC melatonin isn’t exactly the same make up that we have in our bodies, as it’s made in a factory :wink:. I say listen to your doctor. if you really want to get a second opinion and get the correct dosage for your child, do that.

1 Like

Listen to the Dr. Your body creates melatonin naturally when it’s ready to go to sleep. If you take melatonin on a regular basis then your body creates less to balance itself out. Which means your body can become dependent on the outside source and you will also have to start taking more and more for it to continue to work. The proof is in some of these comments that state they have had to start taking more. Your sons doctor knows more about your sons health then random people on the internet. Listen to the Dr. My advice would be to find something else that helps get him to go to sleep. Try positive reinforcement. I have three boys and that’s what I do.

2 Likes

It’s the naps.
Mine (older now) if they napped even 10 mins, they would be awake hours longer. Cut the naps.

1 Like

My daughter is the same way. She’s 3. I’ve found that waking her up early and not having her nap through out the day helps her go to sleep at a decent time. Melatonin isn’t a good thing to give kids regularly because it can cause their bodies to stop producing it naturally. If that’s what you feel needs done definitely only do it short term to help get a routine going then wean him off of it.

No on the melatonin. They say all natural and everything but as we already make melatonin giving extra will just make it worse as he gets older he will have to take more and more. My advice is to simply do your bed time routine but make sure that there is nothing playing such as the television or tablet or phone as those will make it difficult for him to fall asleep instead maybe use a little plug in night light and soft tones if he has to have some sound to sleep… good luck mama