Doctors say my 8 month old has something viral: Thoughts?

I have been to four different doctors, and they keep sending me home saying my 8-month-old has a viral infection he is constantly whining, needs to be held 24/7, can’t lie flat, coughing till he chokes, no wet diapers, no poop for five days, dehydrated from not being able to drink formula, won’t nap and runny nose. I have been sick for five days I gave him a glycerin suppository, prune juice, apple juice, Pedialyte, Advil, and tempra. I feel like there’s something wrong with him besides a viral infection does anyone have any ideas on what I might be I have another appointment with a different pediatrician and hospital tomorrow. Poor guy has no energy and won’t even smile.

20 Likes

I would take him to the emergency room ASAP

1 Like

Has he been tested for RSV? Is he wheezing or anything?

Take him Children Health Care

I would keep going to the doctors until they do something for him

ER asap. That’s how RSV begins!

I would take him to children’s hospital er

3 Likes

My daughter just tested positive for bordetella pertussis, parainfluenza and pneumonia and there were exactly the same symptoms. The pediatrician sent us home saying is just something viral

He needs to go to the er and I wouldn’t stop until I get answers

1 Like

Take him to a childrens hospital if you aren’t satisfied with the pediatrician answers.

1 Like

They weren’t concerned about the no wets? How long has it been? They always ask that when I take my kids in and say they will IV them if it goes to many days

3 Likes

ER mama! Stand up for your baby!! I wouldn’t wait until tomorrow to bring him in! Be serious and be firm

4 Likes

They kept sending my little boy home saying he had something viral. He had the same symptoms and started running 104 fever. He had a chest x ray at one point and they didn’t see anything. After bringing him back for the 4th time they did another chest x ray and found out he had pneumonia. It was so bad that he ended up having to have a chest tube. He couldn’t sit up either and they said it was because of the pressure from the fluid on his lungs pushing on his stomach. I would definitely take him back and ask for a chest x ray.

2 Likes

Go to sick kids or any children’s hospital. Do not stop…Demand tests and answers and if ur not satisfied, keep pushing.

2 Likes

What does his cough sound like , if he sounds hoarse or sort of like a duck he could have croup my daughter had all the same symptoms and docs kept saying was just viral or a cold and it wasn’t to her to see an emergency out of hours doc and they said croup and gave her steroid medication and within a few hours I could see the difference in her defo go to a&e or keep going back if not any better

1 Like

If he isn’t wetting diapers he needs to go to er if your have a local childrens hospital go there

3 Likes

If he’s so dehydrated he’s not peeing, go to the ER right away…

5 Likes

How long without a wet diaper & is the baby running a fever? If so how high? My pediatrician told us if we didn’t have at least one wet diaper in 8 hours to take the kids to the hospital.

I would go to a children’s hospital not a normal ER. Any time we went to a normal ER they sent us home. The children’s hospital actually took things seriously

4 Likes

Your baby hasn’t had a wet diaper in 5 days? That’s not good. You should take your baby to children’s hospital ASAP! Praying for your little one.

6 Likes

Trust you, energy doesn’t lie. ER until they found something.

1 Like

See another doctor! Soon!

1 Like

They didnt check his lungs?! Maybe is bronchitis or pneumonia, go to other hospital

1 Like

You need to take him to a hospital ASAP he’s dehydrated and you’re giving medication without food and little fluid. that’s not good for his kidney or liver, which would explain the fussiness and lack of energy. My son had a similar issue when he was just shy of 12 months, and I had to rush him to the hospital to be rehydrated via IV, and they can give him medication and something to help bring him back to normal. This way at least he will be in the hospital with doctors and nurses who can help you and can figure out what’s going on. It will definitely make it easier for you as well as allow them enough time to get to the heart of the issues

2 Likes

Milk protein intolerant… My 3rd had this problem for his first year cause the doctors thought “he would put grow it”

Go to the ER!! Maybe in a different town if possible. Something is wrong with that baby other than a virus!

1 Like

My son had the same symptoms… turned out To be RSV. I knew in my heart something was very wrong… to the ER I went.

1 Like

No wet diapers for days is a huge red flag id go to an ER

3 Likes

Ummm… there’s no way anyone on fb is more qualified than the four doctors you’ve already seen. I mean, they could definitely all be wrong, but there’s no way anyone could diagnose your baby through a fb post… even if they were an MD. Go see the 5th dr. You don’t like that answer? Immediately go to a hospital.

2 Likes

Trust your gut you know bubba better then anyone if something is wrong then something is wrong trust that feeling and keep going till you get answers

Try a different formula, let him have some water only a little throughout the day. Dont give advil, try ibuprofen and tylenol rotated through the day if needed. BUT TAKE HIM TO THE HOSPITAL FIRST. Screw a doctors visit, take him in and they’ll test him for multiple things. He sounds like he needs fluids asap

Five pediatricians sent me and my 8 month old son home telling us virus too but I knew it was something more. I packed a bag and took him to ER and told them I’m not leaving until he’s better. Five days later he had life saving surgery for a gastrointestinal birth defect we had no clue existed

Point is trust YOUR gut and if you have to be pushy be pushy because you know your baby better than anyone and you have to be their advocate

4 Likes

Go to the hosptial asap

Sounds like ear infection, maybe middle ear

My son is just getting over RSV. Same symptoms. Not saying its the same thing your kiddo has. But very possibly could be. Try Pedialyte in a bottle. Just little amounts at a time. If there is a fever switch back and forth from tylonal & ibuprofen. I know its ruff when your sick and the baby is sick. But hang in there. RSV is a viral infection and they cant do much about it unless it turns into something more with a secondary infection. Give the babes plenty if ice water in either a bottle of juice cup and try giving babes a little chicken noodle broth in a juice cup. I was also giving mine the enfagrow formula already mixed for the immune system support & vitamins. Its super scarey when they cough so hard they choke. I took my son to the ER and they gave him a breathing treatment which helped alot!. My son is 20 months old. And he is just now feeling alot better after a week & a half of RSV. If your babes has a runny nose suck the snot out and use saline mist. Hang in there. You are not alone.

This happened similarly to my son he has RSV we’ve been to 2 different hospitals and 3 ER visits this week. All they have done for him is suction his airway and tell us to monitor him. Praying you get relief as well :raised_hands:t2:

Don’t know where ur at if close to Indianapolis go now to Riley hospital for children…godless prayers for you and your son

Not saying this is your situation. But my son was sick and they kept saying it was a cold it had to run it’s coarse. Needless to say we ended up seeing a different pediatrician and instantly sent to hospital. Ended up life flighted that night and spent 6 days on the ventilator. Ended up with RSV. With that being said. Trust your instinct and do not stop until you do

Take him to the ER that way he can at least get some hydration through IV and they can run more tests to see what’s going on.

1 Like

Did they check for strep?

I’m just going to be honest and say something isn’t…quite adding up here.
I do not know ANY DOCTOR who will not immediately admit a child to a hospital if they haven’t been urinating for five days straight.
So…is he not urinating at all? Or just less? Is he not drinking at all? Or just less? If you’ve been able to give Pedialyte and juice then he is drinking something. Is his soft spot sunk in? Has his skin lost elasticity?

Second, with the weather shifting its causing a lot of sinus and allergy problems. Everyone in my house is struggling with sinus drainage. Like with viruses all we can do is treat the symptoms. So antihistamines to try to dry everyone up. Until it passes.

Third; not pooping for 5 days sounds like a separate issue. For the love of god stop giving him stuff to make him go. Because it’s not helping and could make things worse.

Now. For the really hard advice.
Switching doctors around like you are because you’re unsatisfied with the answers you’re being given is a huge part of your mistake. When you take your child to 4 different doctors, they don’t have access to official notes about what’s already been done. Just your word. So they repeat the same steps over and over and over again. My 2 year old saw a doctor Monday. He’s got an ear infection. His cough is still terrible but its manageable with benadryl. I’m not taking him to another doctor for a different answer. I’ll take him to the same doctor if it doesn’t get better because she knows what she’s done to treat him already.

Take him to HIS doctor. Explain your concerns. Very specifically. Every. Single. Symptom. Do not diagnose or assume. At this point it sounds like being sick and not pooping are two separate issues that need to be addressed separately.

6 Likes

Definitely go to an ER. Do not wait.

If he hasn’t had a wet diaper in 5 days the baby at risk for serious complications. Go to the ER immediately

2 Likes

Try children’s hospital

Go to a Children’s hospital, not a regular ER or urgent care.

Go to the hospital NOW

If your child isnt going to the bathroom they are dehydrated as well go to an er asa0

Sounds like he needs to be hospitalized :weary::cry::frowning:

Take the baby back to find out what dont get on here and ask about it and let it die stupid

Take him into the ER or if you have a children’s hospital near by.

Wet and dirty diapers are very important for a baby

1 Like

Go to a children’s hospital.

IF he hasnt eaten he doesnt need to poop I’d take him to the dr or the ER sounds liike he needs some IV fluids. The now wet diapers is a BIG sign he needs to have fluids

1 Like

Why would you give him a suppository when he isn’t peeing? He is severely dehydrated. Bring him to the hospital he needs to be admitted! You need to make it very clear that he is not peeing or pooping. He may have a life threatening blockage.

3 Likes

Sometimes viral infections can cause very serious symptoms that need to be treated by a medical professional. Do you have an ER close by? My son had something viral and ended up in the hospital for 3 days treating his symptoms.

Take him to the er. If they send you home go another hospital especially bif his diapers are clean. Five days without passing anything could lead to some serious complications. Good luck to you mom and may your baby get the help he needs to get better. Keeping you both in prayers.

2 Likes

Also I hope that every thing works out and he feels better very soon​:heart::heart::heart:

Children’s hospital ASAP! Very important babies have wet/dirty diapers.

1 Like

If he was dehydrated the doctors most definitely would do something.

1 Like

I wouldn’t wait for another pedi appointment, I’d have him in the ER like pronto!!! Lil one’s are resilient, but with him being dehydrated I wouldn’t play around, a lot can take place in a short time frame! Best of luck for you abd you’re LO :heartpulse:

Take him to the closest CHILDRENS HOSPITAL and DO NOT LEAVE without him starting to feel better! Demand answers mama!!

1 Like

Go to the ER a children’s one. He needs his fluids it’s scary but I’ve been there b4. Keep us updated as well.

2 Likes

If he isn’t making pee or poop that is serious. Go to childrens if you have one nearby.

2 Likes

If he is dehydrated you need to go to the er right away. Not wet diapers during 1 day is a big issue and warrants a trip to the er

2 Likes

You know YOUR son. You already said something is wrong. If he isn’t eating nor eating but getting meds, it can damage his kidneys/liver. It sounds like RSV or croup. After the first doc appt, I’d be at a CHILDRENS hospital. Don’t stop until you KNOW he’s getting better. Babies are hard to treat when they get too sick. If it’s been more than 8 hrs without a wet diaper, go to hospital.

2 Likes

Really could just be a nasty virus. Problem with those is theres nothing they can do about it. Antibiotics don’t do anything to viruses. You can get him checkout out again, but he may have to be admitted just for the dehydration alone

1 Like

I went thru this. 3 different doctors kept saying viral. Went on for months. Finally a doctor ran some test and she had pneumonia.

Please take your baby to an er. Those are signs that should not be ignored! If they dont listen to you, go to a different hospital.

2 Likes

If he isn’t peeing, you should take him to a children’s hospital like yesterday. Being dehydrated and that small can lead to bigger complications. Hope he gets better soon!

4 Likes

You need to go to the er. If he hasn’t had any wet diapers or bowel movements in 5 days something is wrong. Especially if you’ve been giving fluids.

3 Likes

I agree with the rest of the moms. Take him to a CHILDREN’S hospital.

3 Likes

You need to take him to hospital amd tell them u will not leave till they do what they can to find out , this is not a viral infection !!! Could be something internal or rsv , I wouldn’t leave with out a different awesore

Is it like he is in pain? If so, I know it’s a small chance but when my husband was born there were complications that required emergency csection, he was born dead and all the mess caused double hernias. It took my mil 4 different doctors to find out what it was. Maybe you could ask about a scan of some sort?

1 Like

A mother’s gut instinct is better than any doctor… always listen to it.

Same exact symptoms my 2 month old had when she got RsV please take him to the ER!!

2 Likes

You need to go to children’s hospital ER ASAP.

1 Like

Why are you giving him suppositories if he’s already dehydrated? Also, I would listen to 4 doctors over moms.

4 Likes

You are an excellent Mom going to many doctors cause you know there is something wrong and these doctors are ignoring or not taking you serious. You have an appt with another doctor and hospital so they will find out what is going on. DO NOT leave without a thorough exam, x-ray, blood work or whatever is needed . Let us know how your baby is doing after your appointment. Something is wrong with the previous doctors if they didn’t help!! Go with your gut Hon!

1 Like

No wet diapers sounds like he’s dehydrated … ER ASAP

1 Like

If he’s not peeing, that’s serious. I’d keep going to different places until someone’s helps. Let them know he’s not peeing. ER.

3 Likes

Video he’s breathing when you hear what’s concerning you. My son had Croup. Went to the hospital they sent me home. I took a video of he’s breathing then, went back to the hospital. They saw the video and instantly gave him some steroids to open he’s air ways because they noticed in the video how much he was struggling. If something is not right to you then ask them to run test (blood test, sugar test, tell them he hasn’t done a poo, isn’t eating and how many wee nappies you have changed). You can tell the hospital that you want him to be reviewed by a different nurse if they don’t seem to be helping. Make a scene if something doesn’t feel right to you remember, you are your sons voice and you know him better than anyone.

1 Like

I took my daughter to the Urgent care, doctors and Emergency room 5 times (not even exagerrating) and they kept sending her home. Kept telling me it was just a cold. Took her the sixth time and thank god the doctors were changing shifts because he was about dismiss her. In comes the other doctor and orders just about every test. Turns out my 1 year old daughter had full blown pnemonia! Point of my story is if your child is not being himself and you know something is off be persistent!!!

1 Like

4 doctors aren’t concerned he’s not peeing?? Bullshit.

Go to a children’s hospital or ER… trust your instincts… for the meantime though I used Zarbees… they have a cough and mucus medicine for 6months and up… you can get it at cvs or a Walgreens I’ve even found it at Walmart… it helped us when my daughter was little! Good luck momma!

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Don’t give up mama, trust your instincts.

You need to go to the ER. Dehydration is nothing to play with. I had it due to an illness and my kidneys had started to shut down

2 Likes

If your child hasnt had any wet diapers in days, he needs to be hospitalized

My doctor told me when my son was sick that if he had no wet diapers for 12hours max then ho to the emergency room immediately

Take the baby to the ER now

If he doesnt have a wet diaper in awhile, like days or a day then he need to go to a hospital, preferably a children’s hospital

Take him to a children’s hospital ask if he has the flu the stain this year has been really tough

She just said she gave him prune and apple juice… that should produce a wet diaper… no mention of vomiting so I’m assuming the baby has been able to keep at least this down so I’m assuming very FEW wet diapers versus what the post says. Go to the ER hun. If they say everything is fine then just focus on rehydration and getting you and the baby better :heartpulse:

2 Likes

Go to er and get him an IV. It might make a big difference.

1 Like

If he’s not eating why would you give him the suppository and prune juice?
Do you know what that will do to someone’s digestive system with no food?
What are you expecting to get him to poop out if there’s nothing in him?

3 Likes

I had the SAME issue where all my LO doctors were telling me to talk to my Ped who kept brushing it off as a “baby thing they will outgrown.” Well it wasn’t and my LO was super malnourished. Don’t stop advocating and don’t be afraid to take things into your own hands. Go find the nearest Children’s Hospital. Your primary just may nof have the experience to handle your situation. It turned out my LO had an undiagnosed multifaceted upper respiratory blockage that gave them similar issues and adversely effected their ability to drink-swollow-breath.
#MomKnowsBest

Syringe him some hydrolite solution, little bits at a time but frequently. You can tell if he is severly dehydrated if you pull his skin up on the top of his hand, if the skin goes right back, hes ok, if the skin stays more up then hes pretty dehydrated and id take him to hospital for fluids.
Otherwise i wouldnt worry, if he doesnt have a fever which would indicate a further infection.
Sounds just viral to me, but pump that hydralyte into him until you wait for another appointment.

Im in er with my 3 month old and rsv

Where do you stay? Be aware of the disease of your area.

Take him to the er. Don’t stop going back until they test and treat his respitatory symptoms. Demand an xray of his abdomen to check the constipation. DEMAND.

4 Likes

Go straight to a childrens hospital now

So please give us an update on your child??

Please take your baby to a hospital well known for it’s outstanding doctors! I will be praying for your baby and wisdom, discernment, knowledge and understanding and compassion for your sweet baby! In Jesus precious name!

1 Like